BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

Not in the slightest. Rovers supporters of my 'ilk', admittedly rather an ageing one, still think - quite rightly - that it's an affront to the history of our club that we are even in the same division as a tinpot, johnny-come-lately, utter flipping nonentity of an outfit such as "The Hatters". 

This ageing supporter remembers them being a division above us for well over half of the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

Not in the slightest. Rovers supporters of my 'ilk', admittedly rather an ageing one, still think - quite rightly - that it's an affront to the history of our club that we are even in the same division as a tinpot, johnny-come-lately, utter flipping nonentity of an outfit such as "The Hatters". 

Luton were a decent First Division out fit under Pleat in the 1980s. The Futcher and Stein brothers played for them - good players. Saw them lose to Arsenal in the League Cup final around 1985

I agree with your post though. The likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Crystal Palace etc , to me are third and fourth division clubs playing way above their level. To fans of a certain age it seems incredible to see them in the top flight while clubs such as Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, proud Preston, Birmingham and Forest langusih. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here an article saying he has unfinished business at the club and would love to manage them

https://www.sheffieldwednesday.news/news/wednesday-boss-candidate-would-love-to-manage-owls-has-unfinished-business/

That doesn't mean he's a Sheff Wed fan, it means he used to play for them. If you read the article it's all there. 

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

This ageing supporter remembers them being a division above us for well over half of the 70s and 80s.

A lot will say similar about Brentford i bet, clubs are usually where they are on merit and deserve to be there. We all expect the name Blackburn Rovers to be amongst the leading lights at least in the Championship.  For me though these days it's more to do with the backing and facilities we have compared to Luton etc not just the name.

That winning mentality being drilled into the players is the most important thing it can get any club a long way installed into the right players.

I agree clubs are where they are on merit and deserve to be there. Is think we are a bigger club than Bournemouth and Brighton but they are deservedly higher than us with a far superior team but going off the here and now I don’t think it is arrogant to expect a result against Luton home or away. The mentality should be we will beat this lot. They are in our league with far inferior everything ( manager debatable) . If we are serious about top six we should be beating Luton without to much trouble

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Luton were a decent First Division out fit under Pleat in the 1980s. The Futcher and Stein brothers played for them - good players. Saw them lose to Arsenal in the League Cup final around 1985

I agree with your post though. The likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Crystal Palace etc , to me are third and fourth division clubs playing way above their level. To fans of a certain age it seems incredible to see them in the top flight while clubs such as Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, proud Preston, Birmingham and Forest langusih. 

Your memory is playing tricks - they beat Arsenal in the 1988 League Cup final.

• Like 1

I'd certainly have Watford, Brighton and Palace in the same bracket as us. Or rather we should be were they are.

All comfortable mid sized Prem clubs although Brightons crowds are a bit misleading. They are the Hull of modern times. 5 seasons back in the champ as a club going nowhere they'd be struggling to get 15k regularly imo.

On 13/11/2020 at 11:05, 47er said:

"will become"----always in the distance.

If he played the game like he talks it, we'd be over the horizon right now. 

He's a gabbler, a pure patter merchant, a jibber jabber, a bletherer, a waffler. That's what we like to hire. Gives you a nice glow when he says how we're going to batter teams, but not just yet. Jesus is coming, not quite sure when. Got held up on the A1. 

Ten years of hot air. Ten years of "we're only x points off of place y, give em a chance" 

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 9

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's still early days but it seems nothing much has changed from our previous 2 seasons in this league - not enough wins to really mount a challenge on the top 6. 

Does anyone genuinely think Mowbray has what it takes to make the PO's and/or get promotion?

No , mid table Tone !

At the end of the transfer window i was thinking finally we have a side to challenge for promotion,i forgot for a minute we had a terrible manager,i should have realised we have no chance of promotion with this manger in charge.Another season over by the end of Feb stuck in midtable  is what we have to look forward too.then we'll get the Mowbray apologists saying oh we got 1 more point than last year,we are making progress.

• Like 5

He’ll no doubt cite injuries if he ever did get summoned to a skype meeting with Madame and Blingy. However I’m extremely confident that we could be 10+ points adrift and he still wouldn’t have to justify his position. What are we, 6+ points off the play offs already? He’s been backed to the hilt here. Simply not good enough - fresh voice and ideas are badly needed.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 6

We've played 7 decent teams in the league and not beaten a single one. Time for TM ro jog on. 

I have no faith in the owners choosing a better manager given their attachments to an agency, but even so I think that TM has really run his course. He's run out of ideas, is getting a squad to underperform and still has a shed load of the same mistakes being made. This is a manager on a down and we need  to get rid before he takes us with him. 

• Like 7

i think we've been over it a few times but imo they are happy to tread water and buy into his and Swaggo's spiel. Easy life for them now after years of turmoil all they have to do is sign the cheques.

Promotion is but a mere bonus that may or may not just materialize whilst marginal gains and squad value take priority.  We are in for years of this i reckon and like everything else with them they'll do something when it's least expected. Because it'll suit them to do so for whatever reason.

Just now, tomphil said:

i think we've been over it a few times but imo they are happy to tread water and buy into his and Swaggo's spiel. Easy life for them now after years of turmoil all they have to do is sign the cheques.

Promotion is but a mere bonus that may or may not just materialize whilst marginal gains and squad value take priority.  We are in for years of this i reckon and like everything else with them they'll do something when it's least expected. Because it'll suit them to do so for whatever reason.

Whilst I think this is an accurate assessment as a strategy it will only end in tears. What's the phrase about standing still is actually going backwards? 

Goodness we are a mess of a club. 

2 minutes ago, Doogs said:

Mid table best we can hope for. Just plodding on...I think they will be in for a surprise when fans can go back..7000 or 8000 at best. A lot of folk becoming bored with plodding..

Agreed. We are going to be down to the diehards by the time things start getting back to normal.