BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

He said to judge him after 12 games, well we are struggling to keep up the win rate required to challenge for the playoffs. He needs to be winning 50% of matches, but we’re 2 wins behind at present.

I don’t know at what point we say someone else needs to come in and try to get this team promoted. We need a significant improvement for the next 12 games.

5 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Whilst I think this is an accurate assessment as a strategy it will only end in tears. What's the phrase about standing still is actually going backwards? 

Goodness we are a mess of a club. 

Venkys don't usually know what's happening until it has happened so no different here imo. They'll realize in a year or two then either just ignore it and carry on or do something depending on who's advising what.

They will ONLY sack him if he manages to land us in the bottom 3 .... He’s surrounded himself with Yes Men .. From the useless coaching team to the Director  .. He sings Waggot songs and they all stringing along the Venkys .... 

Just doesn’t feel like a normal club... but as Mowbray says we will bag the point V the mighty Luton and move on .... and  on .. and on ... 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Miker said:

I don’t know at what point we say someone else needs to come in and try to get this team promoted.

About two seasons ago after the PNE away game. It was clear then Mowbray wasn’t up to it. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Worry not folks. Never mind where we end up this season, Mowbray is already busy telling the owners that we should be a force next season. On it goes.

He will be chucking the pandemic right down their throats and buying himself another couple of seasons at least.  

11 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's still early days but it seems nothing much has changed from our previous 2 seasons in this league - not enough wins to really mount a challenge on the top 6. 

Does anyone genuinely think Mowbray has what it takes to make the PO's and/or get promotion?

I don't think Mowbray has but if we have as much good fortune with player availability from now on as we have had misfortune to date, the squad might be good enough to carry him over the line.

Just now, A Northern Horde... said:

It's nowhere near good enough and we all damn well know it.There seems a be general malaise around the Club and apathy is setting in amongst the support.

I said give him until Xmas and matters aren't looking good.

We don't know do we?

Holtby, Travis and Dack playing like they can would have transformed yesterday.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

We know how Holtby, Travis and Dack would combine with the current squad?

Pure conjecture Philip. If's, buts and maybes. The fact is we are just not kicking on as many thought we would. Mid table is where the level of Mowbrays managerial ability tells me where we should be. He is Mr Average, good runs, bad runs interspersed with really good play and poor play with very little consistency. After seven turgid years of that lot many thought he is just what we needed and that could well be true of his first couple of years but when we should be kicking on we are still stuck in the long grass.

I just want better for my club.

• Like 5

He's way too cautious. As others have said, starting Trybull and Johnson in central midfield does not give us the opportunity to quickly release our forwards.

Always over-thinks it, always over-rates the opposition.

Let's play to our strengths rather than our opponents.

• Like 8

Always going to be ‘what ifs’ with Mowbray in charge I’m afraid. Right now the focus is on Dack and Travis. In the new year it’ll be something else. I’d wager we’ll coninue plodding along exactly where we are right now under Mowbray. No huge danger of doing down but we won’t lay a glove on challenging for the top 6.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 47er said:

He's way too cautious. As others have said, starting Trybull and Johnson in central midfield does not give us the opportunity to quickly release our forwards.

What gets me about it all is inspite of our over cautious approach, playing two defensive midfield players most of the time etc, we've never looked remotely like sound defensively. I was just reading in todays paper that the penalty Middleboro conceded yesterday was the first goal they'd conceded in 452 minutes of play. Obviously they are building from the back, we've never attempted to do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

That's one of the regular patterns when we sit off too long we struggle to get anything going attack wise and then predictably at some point we concede a poor one. Lenihen has taken over from Mulgrew as being the chief culprit of that, then we have to get back into and when we do we rarely take games late on. Usually after the standard subs and juggling about leave even less balance on the pitch.

When we go at teams early and press using a higher tempo if we get in front we go on and wallop them. Don't understand why that can't be in evidence at places like Luton away. Are we really just flat track bullies or is there more to it. like as you've said too much fearing certain opponents and too much over cooking the team instead of the emphasis being on encouraging them to do what they are good at ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So how long does he get?

Should he be allowed to ruin yet another season or should someone else be given the chance to try and salvage something out of it?

If the latter we need to be making the change in no more than four or five games time imo.

I reckon he'll leave halfway through next season and he'll jack it in rather than get fired. We'll finish 10th-14th this season and he'll use Covid and the Travis/Dack unavailability to conveniently blame.

We'll then lose Dack and/or Armstrong in the summer and be battling relegation when he finally falls on his sword in Jan '21, with the profits made on Dack and Armstrong to service our monstrous debt the only thing to shout about as 'progress' in his 5 yr tenure  

Fuck you Venkys.