BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Cowley did the best job he could at Huddersfield keeping them up. I disagree with their owner decision and the reasons behind it  

My optimism is still there. I.think we have the manager, coaching staff and the players. Football is all about opinions

From I hear the problems with the Cowley's were more off the pitch than on it.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Not sure I agree. Mowbray set us up fine for how we have played in previous games. However we met a side on Wednesday that let us play in midfield but got men behind the ball and said break us down. We knocked it around well and tried to feed balls into Armstrong in the box but ultimately carved out just the one chance for Armstrong in the first half.  The reason Arma kept shooting from 25 yards out is because we created very little any closer to goal than 25 yards because of how well the opposition manager set them up to cope with us.

What we then needed was plan B. We didn't have one. That's where I think Mowbray was (and is) lacking. We no longer have the direct ball into Graham option because DG was on the wane, but wasn't replaced and we don't seem to be able to mix it up any differently when required. The one decent 2nd half cross I recall us putting in towards the back post caused panic. At some point Gallagher should have been put up top properly  and we should have resorted to putting the ball in the box more direct on Wednesday. Ultimately, that's what Bristol city did and it won them the game. I'd say Mowbray was out-thought in the end.

On a number of occasions we had the ball in dangerous areas only for the player with the ball to take the wrong option.

They won one Nil but we had 22 shots at goal 8 on target, we had enough of the ball in dangerous areas as the stats show, it is not Tony's fault when a player mis hits a pass or takes a speculative shot when team mates are in better positions.

Will agree with the plan b part of your post but the post you quoted I was debating whether he had us set up right, and I think he had us set up fine we played well in the first 60 minute, we had possession in the final third only Elliot and Rothwell out of our attacking players were on it the rest very poor.

Edited by islander200

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Cowley did the best job he could at Huddersfield keeping them up. I disagree with their owner decision and the reasons behind it  

My optimism is still there. I.think we have the manager, coaching staff and the players. Football is all about opinions

Cowley's win record at Huddersfield was 32.5%. He picked up 50 points from 120 available meaning 1.25 points per game 

Mowbray's win record here in the Championship is 36.29%. He's picked up 1.37 points per game.

I'll leave it up to individuals to decide if that difference is worth 4 years of slow build, tens of millions in losses and being deemed a success or failure. In my opinion it is pretty similar really. Mid table/bottom half stuff. 

• Like 2

I would hope Mowbray dishes out his anger at mistakes like four players together for a free kick which Douglas blazes over the top, but I doubt his does. Dare I say it (again) the manager down the M65 would have blasted them.

One reason why we are staying down. 

Edited by Cherry Blue

• Backroom

Majority of fans still back him and would probably back him at this point even if he relegated us again. "Got us out of League 1 once, so we have to give him the chance to do it again", etc. Owners don't care and likely get told what they want to hear from whoever is speaking to them at the time. Waggott will never even consider removing TM by his own volition. 

Only way he leaves if if he resigns, and we're nowhere near that. Another mid-table nothing finish this season - meanwhile contracts running out on various players and eventually TM will be pressured to start selling as the reintroduction of FFP looms next season.

• Like 2

Now is about the time he usually starts changing his early season narrative in a bid to lower expectations. The ones he set and the ones the owners allegedly have.

Top 6 will turn to just an improvement on last season and see where we land. 

Second half triple change today to me smacked of lets keep it a 1-2 and just hope to nick something rather than lets try and turn this around.  Very Bowyeresq that and just giving some legs a run and saving others. 

He just doesn't have a top 6 mentality running through his bones but other than that can't moan too much. We were against a good side, contrived to give them a deflected goal and everything else was pretty standard stuff for this Rovers.

• Like 2

I've been saying it since January or February of 2019 but he needs to go, we'll never get anywhere good with this manager in charge.

The triple substitution today was an affront to everyone's intelligence. What was the plan? Anyone and I mean anyone could just make a triple change simply to keep everyone happy and give them a bit of a  run out. Absolute joke.

He's been extremely well backed as well. Never been put under any pressure to sell players or keep the size of the squad under control or cull the deadwood. Simply been allowed to accumulate more and more players.

Sadly the day of financial reckoning will presumably have to come sooner rather than later and by the time Mowbray leaves with his pension pot bursting at the seams I think we'll be lucky if we're any better off than at the point when he arrived.

• Like 5

Once one or two of our best players go, the rebuild will start again, as will.the give him time clock. 

Outside of Ewood I have never seen a manager get so much time. It's crazy. 

Also it's a load of bull. Reading and Boro are two teams not waiting 3+ years for a manager to launch a promotion bid. Why we and we alone need time and are a project is beyond me. 

• Like 5

On 11/12/2020 at 08:31, K-Hod said:

Was it? By whom?

Either way, I hope we don’t have to come to expect smug posts every time Warnock or Hughton loses a game, as it will get really old, really fast....

Don't think you need to worry on that score for a while.

In a few weeks time we will enter our eighth transfer window under Mowbray and really aren't much better off from a positional perspective. There have been pluses along the way and we are in a healthier position player wise so credit to him for that. The real conundrum is can he take us any further. For me it's a resounding no and simply from that point of view we need to replace him with somebody who can give us a better chance. However I don't think there is a cat in hells chance of him leaving, either sacked or of his own volition. We will be mid table, win some, lose some, play well, play poorly, good runs and bad runs but he will be safe. 

Personally I want more for my football club and Mowbray just isn't the man to deliver it.

• Like 3

The squad has evolved, the style is evolving but the points are looking like remaining very similar. The same old mistakes and dynamic to plod rather than push hasn't really evolved though either.

It's a dilemma and fine lines,  i still feel the lack of a proper defensive rebuild and the lack of another striker in the squad with goalscoring nous costs us over a season. We've wanted a winger and more flair for years and now in a young loanee we have it. A good striker who could develop and understanding with him would get a bagful. 

At the back yet again the ones who'll play the biggest part are still Lenihen and Williams. Both unatural in that position and one mistake ridden whilst the other is falling too bits !

This kind of thing is TMs achilies heel.

• Like 1