BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, 47er said:

If we shouldn't sack TM because Venkys would hire someone worse then we are finished as a club for as far ahead as anyone can see.

On that basis, If TM keeps going till he's 90 and dies in harness then Venkys will appoint someone worse for the 500 still attending.

That's the facebook attitude.

There's a whole industry of football but only Mowbray can manage Rovers apparently.  The only perennially mid placed club in England who are 'nearly there'.

Where is 'there' exactly ?

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18957521.mowbray-feels-rovers-reputation-working/

A lot of nonsense here. If I didnt know better I would think he was under pressure. 

So teams have figured us out and we can't do anything about it? That's on you Tone, nobody else. It's not an excuse. 

Saying it's a journey ,we can't just flick a switch and that fans don't like that. We are just asking for some diversity in our attack. Back to point 1. 

Finally saying it was boys trying to score against men is an absolutely pathetic statement. If I read that as one of the players mentioned, I would be disgusted. I notice he conveniently left Gallagher out in that point too. 

Rich Sharpe needs to man up and be a journalist with some of these comments. With Martin O'Neill there was this ongoing battle he was having with a reporter, Tony O'Donoghue. It was great to see. Mowbray can literally say what he wants without question. Tony, have you ever gotten the tactics wrong? 

• Like 2

Agree Mowbrays free pass with the local press is pathetic he just makes it up as he goes along. 

Sharpe knows the fans feeling and the right questions but he either dare not step off the company line or has been told not to.

He knows the score though he alludes to it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18957521.mowbray-feels-rovers-reputation-working/

A lot of nonsense here. If I didnt know better I would think he was under pressure. 

So teams have figured us out and we can't do anything about it? That's on you Tone, nobody else. It's not an excuse. 

Saying it's a journey ,we can't just flick a switch and that fans don't like that. We are just asking for some diversity in our attack. Back to point 1. 

Finally saying it was boys trying to score against men is an absolutely pathetic statement. If I read that as one of the players mentioned, I would be disgusted. I notice he conveniently left Gallagher out in that point too. 

Rich Sharpe needs to man up and be a journalist with some of these comments. With Martin O'Neill there was this ongoing battle he was having with a reporter, Tony O'Donoghue. It was great to see. Mowbray can literally say what he wants without question. Tony, have you ever gotten the tactics wrong? 

“You look at that forward line, Armstrong, Dolan, Elliott, Butterworth, it was a team of boys trying to score a goal against a team of men.

Is this going to be his new mantra that we've got a young team learning how to win,its something different every week from him.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

If we are on a journey, I would love to know what the plan is when our best player, Harvey Elliott, goes back to his club at the end of the season. 

I’d love to know what the plan is for when our best defender, Ryan Nyambe, leaves on a free. 

I’d love to know what happens when a PL club takes a gamble on Armstrong. Or Dacks 18 month contract runs out. 

We have the best team we are going to have for a long while right now. If we don’t finish top 6 this season it’s a travesty, we are 18 months away from a full rebuild. 

Agreed 100%.

He wont be sacked though - we went 11 games last season without a win.

Painful.

2 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

“You look at that forward line, Armstrong, Dolan, Elliott, Butterworth, it was a team of boys trying to score a goal against a team of men.

Is this going to be his new mantra that we've got a young team learning how to win,its something different every week from him.

It makes no sense - only 6 weeks ago he was saying Brereton, Armstrong and Elliot (two of which are mentioned in the above quote) are as good as any other three in the league. 

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

It's disgraceful on so many levels. 

Firstly our attack had got a ton of goals this season (second highest scorers?) so it is utter bull. 

On that, doesn't said line up include the league's top scorer so it's totally rewriting reality that we struggle to score because we are a young team is horse manure. 

Secondly its deceptive as he doesn't mention the £5 million pound carthorse he plays on the wing. Gally is neither young nor able yet is conveniently ommited from the analysis. 

Thirdly theres the issue that aside from the reality of our situation the general principle of young players struggling to score is not true as evidenced throughout the league's and history. 

Fourthly even if such a link were true, and the strikers were too young to score (must be news to Elliott and Armstrong but there we go) then whose fault is it for fielding a young line up? If they aren't up to the job it's his fault for assembling the squad and selecting the team like that. 

No culpability, no shame and no truth. Not the actions of an honest guy whatsoever. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

So this weeks excuse is that 'It was a team of boys trying to score against men.'  If you thought that was going to be a problem Tony then probably not the most sensible idea to bring on an 18 year old, two 21 year olds and a 23 year old. 

He won't take responsibility for anything, nothing is ever his fault and his sole interest is not the football club but his own self preservation.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, LDRover said:

'The intensity was there'

No Tony, it really wasn't.

His version of intensity and most supporters differ somewhat i'd say.

If he said we kept going till the end trying to break them down but the intensity was MISSING you could accept it.

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Really fucking winds me up when he blames the players. It's cowardly. He's signed them, how does he sit there and believe he doesn't have to take account for that? Anyone that thinks he is "a nice guy" needs to read that as he's clearly nothing of the sort. 

IMO, you are spot on - I've said this on a number of occasions.

I think it's all about self preservation with Mowbray and looking after number one.

We need rid and bloody fast.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, you are spot on - I've said this on a number of occasions.

I think it's all about self preservation with Mowbray and looking after number one.

We need rid and bloody fast.

This also can be traced back to our regal owners. As a direct result of their disinterest they have effectively allowed the manager to appoint his boss. I’m sure there was no malice or Machiavellian plan on behalf of Mowbray to create an environment where he is bulletproof. But through Venkys incompetence this is what has happened. 

I don’t doubt initially there was noble intentions but now from Mowbray to swag I firmly believe the priority is for them all just do enough to keep a very passive fan base off their backs and to keep their own bank balances healthy. To a man self preservationists on a gravy train.

Edited by matt83
  • Like 7

I'm at the point now where I think I'd pot him. 

His stubbornness or blind stupidity keep playing a failing system is taking the Michael.

Even Gallagher himself knows he's about as useful as a willy in a lesbian orgy playing out wide.

If he lasts till January, which tbh I fully expect him to, Ben and Dacky may help it look a respectable season, but it will still be another mid table one.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, J*B said:

If we are on a journey, I would love to know what the plan is when our best player, Harvey Elliott, goes back to his club at the end of the season. 

I’d love to know what the plan is for when our best defender, Ryan Nyambe, leaves on a free. 

I’d love to know what happens when a PL club takes a gamble on Armstrong. Or Dacks 18 month contract runs out. 

We have the best team we are going to have for a long while right now. If we don’t finish top 6 this season it’s a travesty, we are 18 months away from a full rebuild. 

How longs a journey too? He's been saying it from the start, and we haven't progressed.

Minute Nyambe goes on a free we have gone backwards.

We've been sold a lie. "Nice guy" Tony throws his players under the bus time and time again. Somehow I stupidly started believing that this season was to be THE season. We have the squad. Warnock would have us in the automatic promotion positions. They're only crap as they have a past-it manager. How many clubs have sacked him?

I no longer care who we replace him with, even Steve Kean wouldn't take us down with this squad and from this position (although I'm sure he'd have a damn good try) but we might just hit jackpot.

Our long-term financial viability rests on getting into the premier league, even one season would be transformative. Tony either ain't good enough to do it, or is happy with his comfy mid-table championship job. Either way, time's up now. He's had 20 games, more than a fair crack at the whip. 

15 hours ago, matt83 said:

This also can be traced back to our regal owners. As a direct result of their disinterest they have effectively allowed the manager to appoint his boss. I’m sure there was no malice or Machiavellian plan on behalf of Mowbray to create an environment where he is bulletproof. But through Venkys incompetence this is what has happened. 

I don’t doubt initially there was noble intentions but now from Mowbray to swag I firmly believe the priority is for them all just do enough to keep a very passive fan base off their backs and to keep their own bank balances healthy. To a man self preservationists on a gravy train.

You've nailed the prevailing situation right on the head there matt...that is exactly what is being played out before an ever increasingly frustrated supporter base.

It's the self preservation society in full effect.

19 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tony`s thinly veiled excuse for "iv`e run out of ideas,so i`ll quote a lot of **** and hope everyone believes me"

Transition, evolution not revolution, he knows what's wrong, we are nearly there - Just a few of TMs recent anecdotes.

As for the fans, just wait till Dack is back, all our squad is fit. We'll piss top 6 - kind of missing the fly in that ointment.

Personally i can't help thinking a proper defensive rebuild starting when he said it would.  And a striker to poach instead of a 5 million galloper would've made things look a bit more balanced.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Longest we went without a win last season was 6. Longest the season before was 7.

I'd guess he's referring to this run of form:

DAwtfv.jpg

Whilst there is one win in there, that is still a horrific set of results no matter which way you slice it. Most managers would not survive such a pathetic two months. It completely ruined our season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DE. said:

I'd guess he's referring to this run of form:

DAwtfv.jpg

Whilst there is one win in there, that is still a horrific set of results no matter which way you slice it. Most managers would not survive such a pathetic two months. It completely ruined our season.

Absolutely typical of Rovers though. Everyone gets giddy when we go 2-0 up at Brentford, and then the wheels come off in spectacular fashion.