BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He got to professional..

I'm happy with Mowbray to carry on for this season and review in summer. 

Why would anyone be happy with the way we are playing, our poor results and our current position in the table? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My position is clear. I wont be changing it. 

Mowbray still has plenty of support of different social media out there. 

I've noticed a shift in the attitudes on social media towards Mowbray. It has softened on us making the playoffs but now hardened towards this being our level and TM doing well to keep us here.

Makes me so angry reading that shite.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I've noticed a shift in the attitudes on social media towards Mowbray. It has softened on us making the playoffs but now hardened towards this being our level and TM doing well to keep us here.

‘Judge him midway through the season’ and ‘at Christmas’ is now ‘end of the season’ too. No doubt that’ll be extended for another year as well.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not too sure that social media reactions are relevant at all to be honest.

In which case neither is any opinion  on this website, including yours. 

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Why get angry? Yet another example of the superiority complex which is evident all over this forum. As you used to write the LET fan column I'm really surprised that you are attacking fellow Rovers fans like this. 

They are as entitled to their views as you are to yours. 

There's really not a lot of point getting angry about this either way. The Venky's will decide when to get rid or not, like always. It won't be from "social media". To think they give a damn what fans say on a website forum would be delusional. They didn't give a crap about us before, they don't do so now, they likely never will. 

Not much we can do except put up our feet and grab the popcorn, beats arguing amongst ourselves.

Such is life as a Rovers fan in the Venky's era.  

Has anyone seen the film groundhog day? 

I think the hardest part is watching, knowing we're on the road to nowhere. Elliot as a striker? Seriously, I know TM lacks creative and intelligent thought, you just have to listen to him talk. But flying wingers as strikers, donkey strikers as wingers, copying Liverpools tactics poorly, he just doesn't seem to have any originality. We should be pushing the play offs, silly mistakes are costing us, we are in essence beating ourselves. It's not good enough for Rovers, we are better than this. 

But the hardest part of being a rover these days is knowing nothing will happen until we are in dire  straights. Oh to the days of being a well run club. 

Chaddy you don't half do yourself no favours. How old are you out of curiosity? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

In which case neither is any opinion  on this website, including yours. 

Why get angry? Yet another example of the superiority complex which is evident all over this forum. As you used to write the LET fan column I'm really surprised that you are attacking fellow Rovers fans like this. 

Morning Sigmund 👍 how was the weekend training course? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The scary thing is that he's only just turned 57 - Mowbray that is!

Years of mediocrity or worse to come.

Further proof that intelligence is no relation to age.

Someone was speculating whether at mid 60s Swag was likely to retire so I just assumed Mowbray would be similar. Bloody gutted to think he’s probably not even close to considering retiring age wise. 

9 hours ago, phili said:

Let's say Venky's have given this season to be promoted before cutbacks happen in the summer. Would you still support him knowing that all assets will be sold in the summer?

Yes. 

I don't all assets being sold at all in the summer. We have just resigned Dack to longer contract. Plus we need to get Armstrong and Rothwell on longer deals. 

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

That just sounds stubborn Chaddy.

Would your position change if we lost the next three games? 5 games? 10 games?

Not at all Miler. Just wish people would accept other people views that dont want Mowbray out. 

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's not. Just saving face.

Not at all Sparks but just keep posting this BS. 

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

Chaddy you don't half do yourself no favours. How old are you out of curiosity? 

Why? Cos I'm backing the manager. I know other Rovers supporters who are backing Mowbray so what's the problem? 

If you want a change of manager then fair enough and I accept that your view..shame you cant do the same. 

My age has nothing to do with you. 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst I appreciate that you dont want the manager out at the moment, does it worry you at all that in spite of the obvious personnel improvements (mainly Kaminski and Elliott) and the new style (death by a thousand passes) that we are picking up points at a rate that is unfavourable even compared to last seasons mediocrity, in which there was a public admittance that we had failed on our target? Or is there no gauge of progress in your mind until the season is over?

What are the parameters for you in regards to Mowbrays position come the summer? Would only promotion suffice? Would a top 6 finish regardless of what happens after that suffice? Would we have to only finish higher than 11th for you to be content?

No I am not worry at this stage. Time to judge is end of the season for me unless we were going down. 

You asked the same sort of questions last season as Mercer did. If I feel that a change of manager is need then I will post. Currently I dont think we need a change of manager..

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not too sure that social media reactions are relevant at all to be honest. The only way that any genuine pressure/dismay can be portrayed is at games and with matches behind closed doors that is not a thing at the moment, and even if it was, I doubt that there would be much.

So you are saying that people comments are redundant on here cos we aren't in the ground? 

They has been one game that being Barnsley at home last season where you sense the fans were close to turning on Mowbray. That's been it as far as home games goes isn't it? 

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

A question Chaddy.

Under what specific circumstances would you sack Mowbray in the summer eg he doesn't get us promoted, he doesn't finish top six, he doesn't improve on last season's position?

You asked the same question every season Mercer cos you wanted Mowbray gone for the past 3 seasons. 

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You asked the same question every season Mercer cos you wanted Mowbray gone for the past 3 seasons. 

It's a fair question though, and the reason he keeps having to ask it every season  is surely a sign the manager habitually underperforms year in year out!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

I used to write the LET Column as well and I'm broadly in agreement with Jason.

There may be fans out there that are happy to tread water (anecdotally my experience is the opposite and that attitudes are starting to harden towards Mowbray from former supporters of his) but even if they are of that opinion and are entitled to it, that doesn't mean to say they're right.

To my mind unless the Club is constantly looking to improve and is  striving for success there is no point being here and we might as well turn the lights off. 

Might happen anyway if the debt gets much higher. Then we can leave it to the likes of Accrington Stanley to allegedly overperform and do better than originally expected.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I asked you a specific question:

"Under what specific circumstances would you sack Mowbray in the summer eg he doesn't get us promoted, he doesn't finish top six, he doesn't improve on last season's position?"

You have not answered Chaddy.

I honestly think you are both hopelessly in love with Mowbray and you are pretty clueless about how a football club should be run and how accountable the manager should be.

My position is quite clear and I've said so on many occasions.  I would not have appointed Mowbray in the first place.  He failed to keep us up as was his target when appointed to the job (his words in Blues in Feb 2019).  He got us promoted at the first time but with the biggest resources in League One by a country mile - we scraped in 2nd behind mighty Wigan and, IMO, played football that was dire, dire and more dire.  In his third season back in the Championship, we are worse off at this stage of the season than in seasons one or two as @J*Bdemonstrated:

After 21 games...

18/19 - 30 points, 6 off the play offs.

19/20 - 31 points, 3 off the play offs.

20/21 - 29 points, 7 off the play offs.

At best we are stagnating and some of our football is, IMO, just feckin awful and some on here have the temerity to knock Big Sam who knocks spots off Mowbray in every conceivable way as a football manager.

Difference between you and me Chaddy is that I try to rationalise my arguments whereas you don't and therefore have little credibility. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I asked you a specific question:

"Under what specific circumstances would you sack Mowbray in the summer eg he doesn't get us promoted, he doesn't finish top six, he doesn't improve on last season's position?"

You have not answered Chaddy.

I honestly think you are both hopelessly in love with Mowbray and you are pretty clueless about how a football club should be run and how accountable the manager should be.

My position is quite clear and I've said so on many occasions.  I would not have appointed Mowbray in the first place.  He failed to keep us up as was his target when appointed to the job (his words in Blues in Feb 2019).  He got us promoted at the first time but with the biggest resources in League One by a country mile - we scraped in 2nd behind mighty Wigan and, IMO, played football that was dire, dire and more dire.  In his third season back in the Championship, we are worse off at this stage of the season than in seasons one or two as @J*Bdemonstrated:

After 21 games...

18/19 - 30 points, 6 off the play offs.

19/20 - 31 points, 3 off the play offs.

20/21 - 29 points, 7 off the play offs.

At best we are stagnating and some of our football is, IMO, just feckin awful and some on here have the temerity to knock Big Sam who knocks spots off Mowbray in every conceivable way as a football manager.

Difference between you and me Chaddy is that I try to rationalise my arguments whereas you don't and therefore have little credibility. 

Mercer, you have asked very similar every season You did the same with when Bowyer was here and doing the exactly same with Mowbray. Nothing changing with you. I'm backing Mowbray end off. You want that Dingle Cook in charge of Blackburn Rovers. Tell me everything I need to know. 

I know exactly how a football club should be run thanks Mercer. 

Scraped to 2nd in league 1? 🤣

Credibility? It's a fan football forum. That's it. Your predictions are totally laughable most of the time. 

Anyway enjoy the rest the Christmas Mercer. 

Can't for the life of me understand the logic of "giving him until the summer".

At seven points adrift already surely we are at the point of no return as regards any faint play off hopes, so why wait until say the end of Jan by which time any aspirations we might once  have harboured have usually been extinguished?

And even if we leave it to the point by which it is too late to salvage anything for this season, surely it would still be better to make a change with say ten games left to give a new man the chance to assess things properly in time for next season?

Or am I missing something?

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mercer, you have asked very similar every season You did the same with when Bowyer was here and doing the exactly same with Mowbray. Nothing changing with you. I'm backing Mowbray end off. You want that Dingle Cook in charge of Blackburn Rovers. Tell me everything I need to know. 

I know exactly how a football club should be run thanks Mercer. 

Scraped to 2nd in league 1? 🤣

Credibility? It's a fan football forum. That's it. Your predictions are totally laughable most of the time. 

Anyway enjoy the rest the Christmas Mercer. 

So if you were CEO at Ewood, Mowbray would have a job for life irrespective of league results, league position and even what league we were in- could even be combination football at Pleasington with just you and half a dozen others watching! - ???

To have any credibility Chaddy, you have to stipulate under what circumstances you would sack Mowbray.

IMO, you are saying there are no circumstances that would make you inclined to sack Mowbray.  Do you have a photograph of Mowbray on your living room wall as he seems to be something akin to a 'boyhood hero' to you?

IMO, nonsensical and totally absurd.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DE. said:

I can understand reluctance to remove TM, as it was only in 2016 the clowns at the helm appointed Coyle and bombed us out of the division. 

What I can't understand is the suggestion we are progressing or improving under Mowbray. Parts of the squad are better, but performances and league position remain as they always have been. We're playing as badly now as we were last season during the 9 losses out of 11 run. The manager is still playing players out of position with no good reason. He still hasn't sorted out defence after nearly 4 years. We still choke pathetically every time the playoffs is in sight. 

We're stagnating and regression will inevitably happen, as it did under GB. Problem is by the time we make the change it'll be too late, as it always is under the current regime, and there's every chance they'll just make the situation worse with whatever they do next.

Venky's are still the root cause of our problems, as they have been since the day they darkened Ewood's doors. TM is just a symptom.

10/10

I think it is going to take a large slice of luck for us to progress in terms of results under Mowbray. 

Mowbray pros -

1. Overall he has done well in the transfer market. In my mind the only major black mark is Gallagher. And it think that is in part down to Mowbrays use of him. We now have a squad which I think is outstanding in comparison to where we were a few years ago.

2. Some don't think he don't think he does it enough but I think he has done a great job bringing through youth players. This has led to the squad being as strong as it is. 

3. Trust. The club is a club I can support again. Previously it was difficult watching people there for a payday and not caring about the club. I can support Rovers passionately again and there is understandably a huge fear in the hole which would be left in our infrastructure if Mowbray were to leave. Chaos is a ladder. If Mowbray left you can guarantee there would agents etc looking to make a quick buck coming out the woodwork. He is the stability. Who would make the decisions on the next manage. Nobody knows. 

Mowbray cons - 

1. Tactically he has not shown himself to be astute. The possession football isn't working because there is a lack of substance behind it. If merely keeping possession isn't working, saying things such as up the tempo, play less touches, get it into so and so's feet is not enough because it is intangible. At those moments the players are struggling for creativity and all those words are doing are placing more responsibility on them. We need something tangible such as working it to a player centrally, then wide, a cross played to a specific area where the striker already knows to be running. Something which is easy and takes the emphasis away from a player needing to do something special. That is the managers job. I don't think it happens because I see no pattern to our play. 

2. Defence. I think it is clear Mowbray does not know how to set it up. It's never improved. And i don't think this is purely down to personnel. We lack balance. We either sit right back and dig in (rare but we can do it), or we are trying to control to many aspects of the game by taking it to the opposition and getting caught out. There is no balance. 

We need a slice of luck one of two ways. If he was to go that proper football people are left to appoint the best manager available and it to be done efficiently. Or Mowbray sees that what we are doing isn't working, switches things up and stumbles across a formation that does. If we had the players available I wouldn't mind 3 at the back. As there is nothing to lose as the current set up isn't working. 

As it is I think we are going to continue treading water. We'll go on a run when players come back to fitness. But it won't be enough. Groundhog day strikes again.  

• Like 3