BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

Regression has set in now in spite of Mowbray being backed and not having to sell any of our better players. At this point the longer the owners leave it the worse it'll become. 

Unfortunately Berg and Appleton aside they have a history of making managerial changes far too late. 

Even Coyle who was sacked at light-speed by Venky standards still departed at least two months too late (he obviously should never have been appointed to begin with but that's another story). 

• Like 6

• Backroom

I, and many others, wanted him out in Aug 2019 because a pattern was emerging. 

He's had 16 months since then, a fair crack of the whip, there's been a few rays of light, some false dawns, but ultimately we're not going forward.

Unlike others I actually fairly rate TM's transfer business on the whole. Some exciting progress in attack. 

But come matchday, I've lost total confidence in him having a winning team on the pitch.

I think someone else could do better on that front. I also think someone Venky's would appoint "could" do better. And if it was my decision I'd be willing to roll the dice and find out. 

• Like 9

Who could Venkys employ to give them the best advice as to who to appoint as a new manager? They know nothing about football and have been badly advised by Anderson et al in the past. So many problems.

What a pity they didn't trust John Williams for advice when they bought the club.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pleasantly surprised to see that sentiment is gradually changing on Twitter and Facebook towards Mowbray. Still seeing the same come backs from the Mowbray brigade though. ‘Who could we possibly get?’, ‘what’s he meant to do with all these injuries?’. A new one, ‘we don’t have the budget to compete with the better teams’. Yeah...let’s forget the cash he’s spunked over the past few seasons. 

Yeah, how can we compete with those Championship versions of Chelseas and Man Citys above us like, errr...big spending Reading, moneybags Barnsley, are Preston owned by Dubai these days?, Luton Town...blown us out of the water with their recruitment!

'Get behind the team' they say...what, when the team isn't behind the manager? So who do you support? Rovers or the team or the manager? As it's plainly no longer possible to support all three!

We all wanted this season to be different. We all got excited when we were swatting aside the cannon fodder who'd had a man sent off. That's before when we were looking up, not down...

After all that early season excitement, the (Venky's) chickens are now coming home to roost. 

2009328839_ScreenShot2020-12-30at08_39_39.thumb.png.a9f30a1ab2cabe30220d4f396c3cf159.png

Edited by TheRoversReturn
  • Like 2

If body language spoke volumes then watching Mowbray on the bench tonight you'd have to say he would probably resign in the morning (he won't of course).

His facial expressions were that of a man who hadn't a clue what was going on or how or why his team were playing so badly. I'm sure he was wound up inside but on the surface there was no passion whatsoever. Spitting every few minutes doesn't count I'm afraid.

Two defeats in the next 2 matches and I would say Tony's position would be untenable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

If body language spoke volumes then watching Mowbray on the bench tonight you'd have to say he would probably resign in the morning (he won't of course).

His facial expressions were that of a man who hadn't a clue what was going on or how or why his team were playing so badly. I'm sure he was wound up inside but on the surface there was no passion whatsoever. Spitting every few minutes doesn't count I'm afraid.

Two defeats in the next 2 matches and I would say Tony's position would be untenable. 

Unfortunately Jim, this awful manager is under no pressure 😩

Iv never felt mowbray was the man for us, being from Scotland I always remember his time at Celtic, he is a joke manager up here, regarded as one of celtics worst appointments ever. 
He was brought in to save us, he failed. There was a lot of damage already done but we could still have survived imo.

he was given luxuries in league 1, he had us playing turgid football with no real sense of a style or method. Approach seemed to be give it to dack and Graham and let them win us games on their own. We had a good academy with the likes of nyambe, travis, Wharton , a chance to really wipe the slate clean and give us a real signature with a young and hungry team playing attractive football. Some will say he got us up and that’s the be all and end all, it wasn’t for me. I thought we were poor.

we are now languishing in nowhere land, and have been since we got up, same mistakes, same crap football, no ability to change a tide in a game, it’s rotten management.

My support is dwindling by the season, I have no desire to attend games albeit I can’t at the moment, I have no desire to buy merchandise which I usually would, I just don’t like the direction we are going as a team, Iv stopped caring. A win used to get me high as a kite, a loss a real low, my moods are flatlined, barely caring either way. 

if kean and coyle were -100 for my support, then mowbray and bowyer are about -75, I want to get back to the positive support I had under the Hughes, souness, dalgleish eras where we had a team I could really get behind and we had a signature

give me my Blackburn back, get out mowbray 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

There was a moment last night where the camera panned to him and he was sitting on the bench picking his ear.

Thought that summed it up perfectly. 

• Like 4

Normally, when we hit what appears to be rock bottom under Mowbray, he pulls out an unexpected result and we end up going on an undefeated run.

I don't think it will happen this time. I think things wil just continue to go south.

I still don't think Venkys will sack him, we'll just have to hope he manages to get enough points to see us avoid a relegation battle and then it will be a "fresh start" in the summer.

God I hate our owners.

• Like 4

I know it’s a game of ifs and buts, but my view is that once again December, the month of giving presents, has left Rovers seriously wanting and has condemned all our dreams and aspirations to the rubbish bin!

my view is that we have wasted some 13 points and yes, I know we ourselves stole points at the end of games we didn’t deserve to win, but by folding in games like we have it shows the team is spineless and disjointed at crucial times!

Mowbray appears to get it so wrong at vital times and that is his downfall or should be. I agree now is the time to change the manager, it cannot go on.

The team is going stale, there are no ideas, no alternatives and no direction as it stands and with the talent we have we should be sitting comfortably in the top 7 waiting for a push in the new year. Sadly we sit way off the pace and with 24 games left we would need to see a win rate  of 80% or thereabouts to achieve that dream. Under Mowbray there is not a cat in hells chance of that happening!

• Like 2

Some more Mowbray drivel in his post match comments. Apparently Ayala is struggling with the physical demands of playing for Mowbray and in our 'system' having been used to playing under Karanka and Pulis at Middlesbrough. Mowbray thinks it will take him time to adjust.

Ludicrous. If he needs to adjust then why was he signed and why was our season built on that?

How many players at his age with his injury record get fitter?

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I was so hoping I’d wake up to see my phone alive with texts about Mowbray departing. Didn’t expect it but nevertheless gutted. He’ll no doubt brazen this out get his one win in about 10 and ride back into town like a hero.   

Simple no one pay for I follow next match, turn it off. 

• Like 4

Rovers fitness latest as four players sustain knocks | Lancashire Telegraph

''At Middlesbrough, with total respect to Tony Pulis and the way he plays, as we saw with Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend, he plays with a very compact unit infront and there’s no spaces to play through, for Aitor as well who we’ll face at the weekend. I’m asking Daniel to play in a team that’s a lot more expansive and I think his body is finding the extra workload hard until he gets acclimatised''

Tony bigging himself up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Rovers fitness latest as four players sustain knocks | Lancashire Telegraph

''At Middlesbrough, with total respect to Tony Pulis and the way he plays, as we saw with Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend, he plays with a very compact unit infront and there’s no spaces to play through, for Aitor as well who we’ll face at the weekend. I’m asking Daniel to play in a team that’s a lot more expansive and I think his body is finding the extra workload hard until he gets acclimatised''

Tony bigging himself up.

Imagine bitching about two respected managers at this level or in Pulis Case recently PL level and two managers who are that organised and know how to get results through play. Is he that blinkered?

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, StevenSK said:

Imagine bitching about two respected managers at this level or in Pulis Case recently PL level and two managers who are that organised and know how to get results through play. Is he that blinkered?

Just spat my tea out reading his quote which you have summarised superbly. Who the heck does he think he is?!

• Like 2