BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Superb post. I know @mheadand the Rovers Trust have been really pushing the idea of a heritage project in conjunction with the club. We touched on something on the Rovers Radio show a few weeks back when some fans were asking for a statue of Mowbray(!!!) to be erected... I know John has proposed we should have one for Bob Crompton. Every one of our fans should know his story.

I used to conduct ground tours at Ewood, and the amount of history there is unreal. Tours were supposed to last an hour to 90 mins. I’d regularly do double that, or more, and always have loads more to show and talk about. It was brilliant when you had young uns on them and they were so engaged and eager. I’d make a really big deal of the Full Members Cup win... English clubs weren’t playing in Europe so it was the equivalent of the Champions League! We’ve got the shield for our three consecutive FA  Cup wins back from the football museum and on display, there’s countless trophies, awards, international caps, pictures... everything! All over the place, tons not even on display.

We’ve got such heritage, we need to celebrate it!

I was lucky enough to have two tours around Ewood with Ronnie Clayton to ourselves. He was fantastic, really loved and lived the club. always remember how he stuck the Burnley crest behind the door in the board room. Legend 

Edited by SamTheShrew
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Superb post. I know @mheadand the Rovers Trust have been really pushing the idea of a heritage project in conjunction with the club. We touched on something on the Rovers Radio show a few weeks back when some fans were asking for a statue of Mowbray(!!!) to be erected...

A statue of Mowbray?! 

Going back to the will he walk point:

1) I believe he said he’d walk away if HE felt he couldn’t take the club forward, as opposed to if posters on here felt so. 

2) Given that he is diagnosed daily on here as being delusional, that may well apply to his view of his own abilities.

3) There’s a big difference between walking away from penniless, ground-less League 2 Coventry (as was) versus walking away from the mighty, well-funded Rovers of hallowed Ewood Park.

He’s here till he’s fired.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Not trying to be disrespectful but who on earth would nave started supporting Rovers in the last 10 years? 

Well my lad for one! 10 years old and first game in 2015, he regularly says to me how bad we are but he's always eager to get back to Ewood and going to new grounds to watch us, even in todays era he looks forward to watching the next game on ifollow.

But yes, unless you have family or something then I don't really see many supporting us off there own back these days unfortunately. Whenever I have a walk around Blackburn before going to Ewood these days I always see more youngsters in utd & city gear rather than Rovers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Whenever I have a walk around Blackburn before going to Ewood these days I always see more youngsters in utd & city gear rather than Rovers.

I have to take issue with you on this.  We have one of the best supported clubs pound for pound when the going is good.  Leeds would need 800,000 every game to match us pro rata if we were full.

You always see kids wearing rovers shirts in Blackburn,  always have and always will. Plus you see a lot of old timers here and there wearing their coats etc. 

You must have visited when they were all at the ground or at home catching the vidi printer....

11 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Superb post. I know @mheadand the Rovers Trust have been really pushing the idea of a heritage project in conjunction with the club. We touched on something on the Rovers Radio show a few weeks back when some fans were asking for a statue of Mowbray(!!!) to be erected... I know John has proposed we should have one for Bob Crompton. Every one of our fans should know his story.

I used to conduct ground tours at Ewood, and the amount of history there is unreal. Tours were supposed to last an hour to 90 mins. I’d regularly do double that, or more, and always have loads more to show and talk about. It was brilliant when you had young uns on them and they were so engaged and eager. I’d make a really big deal of the Full Members Cup win... English clubs weren’t playing in Europe so it was the equivalent of the Champions League! We’ve got the shield for our three consecutive FA  Cup wins back from the football museum and on display, there’s countless trophies, awards, international caps, pictures... everything! All over the place, tons not even on display.

We’ve got such heritage, we need to celebrate it!

My New Years resolution is to be more civil and not swear so much.

That's all I can say on this subject.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I have to take issue with you on this.  We have one of the best supported clubs pound for pound when the going is good.  Leeds would need 800,000 every game to match us pro rata if we were full.

You always see kids wearing rovers shirts in Blackburn,  always have and always will. Plus you see a lot of old timers here and there wearing their coats etc. 

You must have visited when they were all at the ground or at home catching the vidi printer....

Not really sure what you are "taking issue" with.

I agree with the first paragraph. Things haven't been good for a decade now though so it's natural support is dropping of.

Of course you will, most kids who have Rovers supporting parents will inevitably follow in there footsteps.

Parents who don't really have an interest though? There's no way there kids are following Rovers with City and Utd on the TV every week.

I'm not making it up, a walk around Blackburn town cente on a matchday morning these days (pre covid) and you don't see many youngsters wearing Rovers shirts about. Plenty for the "big clubs" though.

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not really sure what you are "taking issue" with.

I agree with the first paragraph. Things haven't been good for a decade now though so it's natural support is dropping of.

Of course you will, most kids who have Rovers supporting parents will inevitably follow in there footsteps.

Parents who don't really have an interest though? There's no way there kids are following Rovers with City and Utd on the TV every week.

I'm not making it up, a walk around Blackburn town cente on a matchday morning these days (pre covid) and you don't see many youngsters wearing Rovers shirts about. Plenty for the "big clubs" though.

I think that happens in most towns.

I would say outside PL towns and cities that’s the case everywhere. I’ve noticed a real drive towards glory hunting with youngsters in the social media and online gaming age... closing stadiums for a year + won’t have helped one bit.

Like TV money and everything else, Venky’s chose the very worst time to put us in the wilderness for a decade...

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I would say outside PL towns and cities that’s the case everywhere. I’ve noticed a real drive towards glory hunting with youngsters in the social media and online gaming age... closing stadiums for a year + won’t have helped one bit.

Like TV money and everything else, Venky’s chose the very worst time to put us in the wilderness for a decade...

Its what the media want. Its another sad move to Franchise football. The likes of Sky aren't interested in anybody bar the top dozen supported teams at most and that dozen include Celtic and Rangers.

This pandemic removing the chance of local town teams to support and experience the thrill of the experience of sampling the  atmosphere of togetherness at an away game just helps the big media hammer nails into the coffin of local teams like our beloved Rovers.

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Its what the media want. Its another sad move to Franchise football. The likes of Sky aren't interested in anybody bar the top dozen supported teams at most and that dozen include Celtic and Rangers.

This pandemic removing the chance of local town teams to support and experience the thrill of the experience of sampling the  atmosphere of togetherness at an away game just helps the big media hammer nails into the coffin of local teams like our beloved Rovers.

I spent most of my teenage years in North Bedfordshire in the 90s, and I only knew one Luton fan in school. They were all about the big London clubs, Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd. It is probably even more so now. Here in Coventry, people seem to support a 'big' team, but kind of like Coventry City as a home/2nd team. It's the older generations who remember the FA cup win who are proper City fans.

Has anyone else noticed that the LET keeps re hashing old stories from earlier in the week? Seems as if Tony has gone quiet (not that i am complaining.)

This was posted on the 31st;

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/lewis-travis-blackburn-rovers-return-19545103

This was posted today;

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18982003.what-missing---mowbray-longs-midfielders-return/

There are other instances this week aswell. Its either lazy journalism or Tony has thrown his toys out of the pram.

52 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

Has anyone else noticed that the LET keeps re hashing old stories from earlier in the week? Seems as if Tony has gone quiet (not that i am complaining.)

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/lewis-travis-blackburn-rovers-return-19545103

This was posted today;

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18982003.what-missing---mowbray-longs-midfielders-return/

There are other instances this week aswell. Its either lazy journalism or Tony has thrown his toys out of the pram.

They're 2 different websites/journalists that you've posted...   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, callumrovers said:

This was posted today;

The journalists will just repeat what Mowbray says ad infinitum without challenging or questioning him. Mowbray has found his excuse for our dreadful run of form and will now continue to throw it out in public whenever he can. Once Travis is back he will find something else to blame for his failings.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The journalists will just repeat what Mowbray says ad infinitum without challenging or questioning him. Mowbray has found his excuse for our dreadful run of form and will now continue to throw it out in public whenever he can. Once Travis is back he will find something else to blame for his failings.

Yep I called this last week.

Dack>Travis>Wharton/Williams>new absentee

And on he goes. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep I called this last week.

Dack>Travis>Wharton/Williams>new absentee

And on he goes. 

A fortnight from now he will be using the transfer window to keep people onside. Wait and see if we can get a couple of new bodies in to help us. I'm sure if we get who we want we will be much stronger in the second half of the season. The new lad(s) need to settle in. Buys him January and February. So predictable.

Then if buy anyone (6 of the last 7 windows would suggest probably not) he will need at least 2 months to let them learn the Mowbray way before we can be judged again. Then it’s too close to the end of the season to sack any one particularly when only 3-10 points from the play offs. Then by the end of the season. DEFENDERS ARE COMING. We’re on a journey. One more year, one more year, one more year. 

• Like 6

Surely Travis is his last valid excuse? Not that I fall for any of his bull shit as we've got the same problems regardless of who is available. 

The rambling, non sensical, self preservation dribble that he serves up to the media is utterly nauseating, any half decent journalist would challenge him on it. 

Could a loss today be the final straw? Even those clowns in Pune would start to question what's happening given the fact he's the longest serving manager in the league (bar Ainsworth) and we're now genuinely regressing, surely? 

I live in hope. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Surely Travis is his last valid excuse? Not that I fall for any of his bull shit as we've got the same problems regardless of who is available. 

The rambling, non sensical, self preservation dribble that he serves up to the media is utterly nauseating, any half decent journalist would challenge him on it. 

Could a loss today be the final straw? Even those clowns in Pune would start to question what's happening given the fact he's the longest serving manager in the league (bar Ainsworth) and we're now genuinely regressing, surely? 

I live in hope. 

''I think we're missing a bit of real raw determination really to not lose football matches''

Says the man who assembled the squad and provides motivation by sitting on his arse and fingering his ears.

I didn't want him when he became the first and therefore cheapest option by taking on existing backroom staff. He used to wind me up with his drivel on a daily basis, now I just avoid his rambling as much as possible.

Highlighted - if supremely optimistic then possibly but in reality he has this gig for as long as he wants. Not too bad for a man who failed at his first task at Rovers .......

• Like 6