BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have named numerous players who cost a fortune and you don't need to be a football expert to know that Allen and Mikel would be on more than our top earners. 

I said Allan probably will be but I'm not so sure that Mikel would be. Given that he was a free agent in the middle of a pandemic who had cancelled his contract in Turkey due to Covid concerns and also given how Stoke have been trying to trim their wage bill the last couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Brentford have pulled in £120m over the past 5yrs on player sales, thats some war chest, we could only dream of such riches these days.

Its not hard to do the maths chaps, we've pulled in £1.99 and a couple of packs of Venky chicken.

We can't compete.

I think it’s time to put the fishing rod away, but under the right management we clearly have the facilities and resources to mount a Play Off push, at least.

The manager himself has stated that we should be challenging this season.

At some point the current water treading under Mowbray will start to falter, and we will regress.

I think last week’s cup exit extinguished any hope of a little excitement during the remainder of the season.

A cup run could at least have generated a little interest.

It is clearly time for change.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I said Allan probably will be but I'm not so sure that Mikel would be. Given that he was a free agent in the middle of a pandemic who had cancelled his contract in Turkey due to Covid concerns and also given how Stoke have been trying to trim their wage bill the last couple of years.

He was on 150,000 a week in Turkey I remember reading. He's on at least 30,000 now, probably more. Stoke are trying to trim it, but that's cos it was mental. I bet Powell is on at least 30,000. There was a lot of interest in him when he joined them. They are miles ahead of us financially. They probably have a year or two left of parachute payments do they? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We can’t compete with Brentford because they are a highly functional, professional football club with an effective business model and we aren’t?

That is undoubtedly the case.

You managed to un-muddle it 👍

Can you have a word with Ewood Ace? 

Edited by Gav

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was on 150,000 a week in Turkey I remember reading. He's on at least 30,000 now, probably more. Stoke are trying to trim it, but that's cos it was mental. I bet Powell is on at least 30,000. There was a lot of interest in him when he joined them. They are miles ahead of us financially. They probably have a year or two left of parachute payments do they? 

This is their final season of parachute payments.

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We can’t compete with Brentford because they are a highly functional, professional football club with an effective business model and we aren’t?

That is undoubtedly the case.

It's also a terrible excuse. As in they are doing nothing that theoretically we couldn't do. 

As it is if we can't compete with any club because we are a basket case we might as well all pack it in. Which doesn't seem too bad an idea compared with TMs glacial revolution. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

If Mowbray has a problem with the pitch has he raised it with Suhail or the owners? Or is he just passing the buck again? Also regarding his comments about Stoke...

"It’s a football club with aspirations."

Is he saying we aren't? Am sure the owners would appreciate his quotes after allowing him to chuck £12m on Gallagher & Brereton down the drain. 

He's pushing his luck with those comments but his body language and general demeanour of late yells I don't give a shyte either way!

• Like 2

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I think last week’s cup exit extinguished any hope of a little excitement during the remainder of the season.

A cup run could at least have generated a little interest.

It is clearly time for change.

The only thing that saved Bowyer from more flack in his last full season here was our cup run, which if I recall correctly ended with a spirited defeat to Liverpool after gaining a replay. However that cup run was also proof certain players would perform if motivated - Bowyer just couldn't motivate them for the grind of the league. 

10 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Change his name to Kean or Coyle with the comments he comes out with there would be absolute uproar. 

In fairness most managers come out with total nonsense towards the end of their tenures when they run out of ideas. The main difference with Kean and Coyle was that the pair of them never had any clue to begin with. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Change his name to Kean or Coyle with the comments he comes out with there would be absolute uproar. 

You didn’t bother watching the game did you?

Back when you could go to games, there was always a real difference of opinion from on the stands to getting home and reading comments online.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Brentford never spend all of what they bring in they usually end the window with a healthy profit. The thing for Brentford is that every year they have to replace their best players before they even get on to improving on what they already have. Mowbray never has to do that because he is never forced to sell his best players and he's always given money to improve on what he already has. 

Also had Brentford had the £7 Million that was spent on Brereton and £5 Million on Gallagher they would have spent that on players who by now would be worth more than what they paid unlike Mowbray who spent it on two players who weren't worth it and are now worth significantly less than what we paid. And that is because Brentford have a plan to their recruitment rather than the scattergun approach that Mowbray has.

Also Brentford have just spent £71 Million on a new stadium.

Brereton has been our player of the season this year - it's taken 3 years, but he looks good.

Also they need to ask for their money back - that's a dogger of a stadium.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Brereton has been our player of the season this year - it's taken 3 years, but he looks good.

Nyambe, Elliott and Armstrong have been our three stand our players this season, the rest have been average at best. Brereton has improved on previous years but is still well short of being a £7 Million player.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DE. said:

The only thing that saved Bowyer from more flack in his last full season here was our cup run, which if I recall correctly ended with a spirited defeat to Liverpool after gaining a replay. However that cup run was also proof certain players would perform if motivated - Bowyer just couldn't motivate them for the grind of the league. 

In fairness most managers come out with total nonsense towards the end of their tenures when they run out of ideas. The main difference with Kean and Coyle was that the pair of them never had any clue to begin with. 

This season very much reminds me of Bowyer’s last full season, although this is not even as good.

The following season the wheels started to come off, and I can see a similar outcome next season.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Quoted there as saying if he could pick between investing in the pitch and the squad he’ll pick the pitch and make the current squad work.

He’s not only found himself a perfect excuse for underperforming now but nailed his excuse for the next couple of years at the same time. 

That’s some next level Teflon 

It's saying something but I think Mowbray is becoming Keanesque in his excuses.

I think it's one excuse after another.  It's NEVER his fault.

As Lincoln said “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

Fortunately, for Mowbray, fans are not in Ewood to vent their feelings.

I honestly think the Mowbray situation is in danger of turning incredibly sour and he could soon rival Kean and Coyle in the 'hate stakes'.   

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's saying something but I think Mowbray is becoming Keanesque in his excuses.

I think it's one excuse after another.  It's NEVER his fault.

As Lincoln said “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

Fortunately, for Mowbray, fans are not in Ewood to vent their feelings.

I honestly think the Mowbray situation is in danger of turning incredibly sour and he could soon rival Kean and Coyle in the 'hate stakes'.   

Behave yourself. Such direct comparisons do no favour to the credibility of the argument that the common consensus indicates, that Mowbray has taken us as far as he can.

If Mowbray goes he will do with the majoritys blessing and positive opinions of the overall job even if towards the end it went stale. Venting and hate? Not at all. Coyle and Kean? Totally insulting.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Behave yourself. Such direct comparisons do no favour to the credibility of the argument that the common consensus indicates, that Mowbray has taken us as far as he can.

If Mowbray goes he will do with the majoritys blessing and positive opinions of the overall job even if towards the end it went stale. Venting and hate? Not at all. Coyle and Kean? Totally insulting.

Well said. To compare Mowbray to them is ridiculous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sorry, I think you are wrong.

As things are, after 4 years of Mowbray, I don't think we are that much better off than when he arrived.  Make no mistake, IMO, we are regressing at a rapid rate of knots.

In my eyes, Mowbray's credibility has gone - I think hanging out players to dry is becoming common practice and now he's latched on to the pitch.  Well feck me, if, IMO, he hadn't been so profligate with the club's money, that pitch could have been relaid pre Christmas.  Think of the money wasted on extended contracts for Hart and Smallwood, money spunked on Pears when we'd just signed the Greek lad who folk were raving about as a prospect and then the totally unnecessary signing of Downing.

Think Mowbray is a self purported man of honesty, integrity - well, I don't buy it, IMO, it's about self preservation and number one!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, J*B said:

Mines from TransferMarkt: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/alletransfers/verein/164

That figure will include all bonuses, agents fees and signing on fees. A signing on fee is usually 10% of the transfer fee to start with. TransferMarkt is very good, it’s usually taken from official club data when the accounts are released. 

FBB4A4A4-6C4F-4CC0-928B-97DEC94E4329.jpeg

The figures are all wrong on there and it's nothing to do with agents fees and signing on fees. It's something to do with exchange rates and the figures are actually the Euro value rather than GBP. It reckons we paid over 10m for Grabbi ffs. That 10% signing on fee is completely plucked out the air as well. 

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sorry, I think you are wrong.

As things are, after 4 years of Mowbray, I don't think we are that much better off than when he arrived.  Make no mistake, IMO, we are regressing at a rapid rate of knots.

In my eyes, Mowbray's credibility has gone - I think hanging out players to dry is becoming common practice and now he's latched on to the pitch.  Well feck me, if, IMO, he hadn't been so profligate with the club's money, that pitch could have been relaid pre Christmas.  Think of the money wasted on extended contracts for Hart and Smallwood, money spunked on Pears when we'd just signed the Greek lad who folk were raving about as a prospect and then the totally unnecessary signing of Downing.

Think Mowbray is a self purported man of honesty, integrity - well, I don't buy it, IMO, it's about self preservation and number one!

Every managers priority is themselves. We might not be much better off, but after Kean and Coyle had finished with us we was very much in a worse position.