BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

The local media turning on Mowbray can only be a good thing, if you want him gone of course. Still think we've got him for as long as he wants to carry on failing. Only a relegation battle could potentially change that but we'll more than likely do enough to secure a mid table finish. Head down and pretend this isn't happening for me, the usual under Venkys. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Although in fairness Johnson doesn't have the engine to get in the box, Ayala is always injured, Gally is stuck out wide on the touchline and Lenihen is babysitting a midfielder in centre defence. 

Agree it's a shocking stat btw. Just doing a TM and throwing in a load of excuses that actually highlight other failings. 

Ha, doesn't it just. 

All in the box for corners and free kicks but we know how bad we are at those!

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I don't disagree with your post arbitro, but on Gallagher.

Its a pity Kevin didn't have the balls to do the same when king rat was here, we needed the media on the supporters side, yet Kevin was one of his chief apologists week in week out, I lost all respect for him during that period.

I think Gallagher fancied a coaching job at Rovers and it didn't materialise!

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I believe history will judge him kindly in terms of his contribution to the club.  

The problem being if time marches on, and things get progressively worse, then this sentiment can get eroded away.

I truly hope that doesn't happen, as I agree with you, he's a decent bloke that has done some good things, and deserves to be appreciated for that.

But barring a remarkable turnaround and barnstorming 2nd half of the season, if TM's reign continues into next season, I do fear how sour it could become. 

I really don't want our best manager of the last decade to become universally disliked by the fans. It would be particularly galling considering he has stated he would never allow that to happen. There comes a time he has to be true to his words. That line in the sand surely can't be far off. 

• Like 8

I think it's fair to say the majority of the fan base and the local media have lost faith in TM and rightly so.

He's done a very good job here but just because someone has got us here does not mean they're the right person to get us to where we want to go. He's a solid championship manager but he's no more than that. 

I can see a change in the summer but I don't see one happening before then. 

A big, big opportunity missed this season and that's the frustrating thing. We wont have the likes of Armstrong and Elliot here next season, and quite possibly not Rothwell or Nyambe either, so there will be a rebuilding job to do. We've not at any point this season looked like maintaining a genuine promotion push to the prem. In fact we haven't since we've been relegated. 

• Like 4

I am baffled beyond belief regarding the amount of people on here calling for Mowbray Out. Can’t people see what he is doing for this club? Everything he does is because he’s thinking long-term.

Maybe, I believe too much of what he says. But, I am excited for the prospect of a fully fit team playing together our old attacking flowing football. At the moment, yes, the defence is on its arse. Yes, Ayala is a useless donkey on a silly contract and can only get through 70 mins a game. Yes, we STILL haven’t found a suitable left back but we’re trying to fix it. 

We’ve been hampered by injuries at the back. Leading to a lack of consistency, this has led to a lack of organisation, leading to sloppy goals being given away. This affects confidence which is why we aren’t controlling games at the moment and we’re just not creating clear cut chances and putting them away. Half of our shots is Armstrong just shooting for the sake of shooting. If we did get promoted this season miraculously, we could not rely on Armstrong to keep us in the prem. He’s not ready for that, we’re not ready for that. We’d come straight back down. We cannot rely on Breo, Gallagher, Buckley, Armstrong, Rothwell, Dack to keep us in the prem next season. They’re not ready for it yet, but I think they will be in a couple of years. 

Under Mowbray, we will go up with time. Why jeopardise that with the risk of going back to the days of Henning Berg in one week, out the next. Appleton in one week, out the next. Instead of pissing away money on paying off managers, back Mowbray, develop the pitches, develop the squad for when we are ready to be promoted. 

We are very good. We’re just not ready yet. 

5 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

I am baffled beyond belief regarding the amount of people on here calling for Mowbray Out. Can’t people see what he is doing for this club? Everything he does is because he’s thinking long-term.

Maybe, I believe too much of what he says. But, I am excited for the prospect of a fully fit team playing together our old attacking flowing football. At the moment, yes, the defence is on its arse. Yes, Ayala is a useless donkey on a silly contract and can only get through 70 mins a game. Yes, we STILL haven’t found a suitable left back but we’re trying to fix it. 

We’ve been hampered by injuries at the back. Leading to a lack of consistency, this has led to a lack of organisation, leading to sloppy goals being given away. This affects confidence which is why we aren’t controlling games at the moment and we’re just not creating clear cut chances and putting them away. Half of our shots is Armstrong just shooting for the sake of shooting. If we did get promoted this season miraculously, we could not rely on Armstrong to keep us in the prem. He’s not ready for that, we’re not ready for that. We’d come straight back down. We cannot rely on Breo, Gallagher, Buckley, Armstrong, Rothwell, Dack to keep us in the prem next season. They’re not ready for it yet, but I think they will be in a couple of years. 

Under Mowbray, we will go up with time. Why jeopardise that with the risk of going back to the days of Henning Berg in one week, out the next. Appleton in one week, out the next. Instead of pissing away money on paying off managers, back Mowbray, develop the pitches, develop the squad for when we are ready to be promoted. 

For me, it’s because the one thing we do not have is time. Next season we will not have Harvey Elliott. We might not have Adam Armstrong. Ryan Nyambe, Lewis Holtby and Joe Rothwell will have either left, renewed their deals... or be in the final year of contract. 

FFP works in cycles. We’re at the end of the cycle, we won’t have money to spend even if the owners gave it to us. 

Everything has been building up to this moment. I honestly think the side which has been assembled is an automatic chasing side, never mind a top six chasing side. And we’ve blown it. So the squad will get decimated - a combination of FFP and individual success will mean we are back at the start. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

We have a bloody awful manager , end of !!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

Tony is that you? Only it's a list of his favourite excuses and not one criticism of him. The only thing you forgot to add is that we are on a journey.

12 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

Your right he is thinking long term but it's not the long term future of the club he is thinking of but his own long term future and he knows he is on a cushy well paid number here that is adding very nicely to his retirement fund.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I must admit that I like Mowbray.  I would never question his honesty nor his integrity.  I believe history will judge him kindly in terms of his contribution to the club.  I think he is a genuinely decent bloke who has done many good things at this club.  He reminds me very much of Bob Saxton.

However, like all managers there comes a point when your race is run at a club and if his race isn't quite run he is certainly well into the final furlong.    

Yesterday was another shocking performance for 75 minutes and then the players decided to stir themselves and rescue a point. 

Whilst the buck stops at the top there is no doubt in my mind that this group of players are far from top six material at the moment.  Too many players have one good game in six or seven.  When I compare this squad to the ones that Souness and Dalglish took into the top flight - well there is no comparison the present lot are light years behind.  

I've always felt this squad would finish somewhere between 8th and 10th at best and, sadly, we are underachieving those expectations at present.  

At present we seem devoid of ideas.  There is no plan 'B' when opponents stop us playing the way we want.  The back-four remain fragile - Powell highlighted that yesterday.  The midfield is uninspiring at the moment - Mikel ran the game yesterday and was able to do it at walking pace.   The attack is very hit and very much miss.  We paid a huge amount of money for Brereton and Gallagher and neither one looks like a goalscorer.  Indeed, they wouldn't get on the bench under Dalglish or Souness.

As I said, I like Mowbray but it's a results business and for far too long those results have been poor and the football uninspiring.  I hope I'm wrong and that he can turn it round - I'd be delighted - but at the moment I see no evidence of anything but another mid-table finish with fewer points and a lower position than last season.

Glad to see you're finally coming round Parson, better late than never!

Not sure where this reputation as a man of integrity comes from, obtaining his immediate boss his job seems an extremely devious move to me, likewise giving completely needless contracts to people like Gladwin Smallwood and Hart who were never ever going to play for us doesnt strike me as acting in the Club's best interests either.

No wonder we can't afford to relay the pitch.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

Congrats on a mind blowing first post,that's some statement (windup?)to come out with regarding TM that totally goes against the face of reality.

We have gone stale under his tenure,the spark has gone.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

mowbray will never get us promoted,ever,he`s not got the coaching skillset,motivation or transfer nous,look back at his managerial history and the only really decent job he`s done was  at hibs,everywhere else he`s had one good season then it falls apart,he even managed to **** it up at celtic which is some achievement,he is not the man to lead us anywhere to be honest and when fans finally do return to ewood,i think we`ll certainly make him aware of it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

From reading between the lines it would need to be Pasha to have a word in the ears of Madame/Blingy. I’d be amazed if Waggott held much sway with them.

Think we can all make our feelings known via @richsharpe89 @AndyBayes @PashaSapss - the more noise the better!

And in terms of his overall contribution to the Club I think you can argue he did quite well for 18 months, almost keeping us up then getting us promoted at the first time of asking, albeit with a budget that eclipsed everyone else's.

However the last two and a half years since promotion have been imo absolutely dire. History won't view his contribution kindly if we fold because of our debts and the view is taken that we needed to treat the situation a lot more urgently instead of waffling on about journeys and long term plans with no evidence of anything actually happening to substantiate that.

50 minutes ago, jasprovers said:

Your first ever post I note.

Are you perhaps the club lemon drizzle cake manufacturer?

• Like 3

This blind faith that Mowbray can suddenly sort out the defence mystifies me. He’s not only failed to achieve it at 4 years at Rovers but he’s failed to do it his entire managerial career. In fact his only real managerial success came in 2008 getting wba promoted and to put that in context Owen coyle has a more recent promotion to the premier league on his CV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasprovers said:

I don't think we are very good. The league table and recent results tell their own stories. The manager has signed a collection of players that look exactly that - a collection of players. We've gone for quantity and not quality. How many of the new signings will be worthy of a place against Swansea. Pears ? - I hope not. Douglas ? - a toss up between him and Bell as to which is least worst. Trybull ? No better than what we already had in Davenport, Evans, Johnson. Ayala ? - Treatment room dweller, leading the race to win the Vince Grella Trophy.   Elliot ? Blowing hot and cold, understandable given his age. Dolan ? Ditto. The lad from Everton ? Promising,  but would he be playing if Wharton was still fit or Williams for that matter.

The buck stops here for me. He signs the players. I suspect the players have listened to his voice enough. The accepted wisdom is after three seasons unless the manager is absolutely exceptional it's time to go.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jasprovers said:

I don't agree he is thinking long term with the number of loans and out of contract players we will have come the seasons end. Once again we could be looking for around ten players to make up the squad which will include the likes of Ayala and Pears who will contribute little but have long deals. I think this season if everyone is fit we have top six potential but in my view we have a mid table manager who is holding us back. Next month he will have been here for four years and the defence is no better than his first game at Burton. That's not progression.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think we are very good. The league table and recent results tell their own stories. The manager has signed a collection of players that look exactly that - a collection of players. We've gone for quantity and not quality. How many of the new signings will be worthy of a place against Swansea. Pears ? - I hope not. Douglas ? - a toss up between him and Bell as to which is least worst. Trybull ? No better than what we already had in Davenport, Evans, Johnson. Ayala ? - Treatment room dweller, leading the race to win the Vince Grella Trophy.   Elliot ? Blowing hot and cold, understandable given his age. Dolan ? Ditto. The lad from Everton ? Promising,  but would he be playing if Wharton was still fit or Williams for that matter.

The buck stops here for me. He signs the players. I suspect the players have listened to his voice enough. The accepted wisdom is after three seasons unless the manager is absolutely exceptional it's time to go.

Yesterday the players looked clueless like they’ve had that much said to them which contradicts itself each week that they’ve given up. They’re not playing for the manager or even themselves. Change is needed urgently 

23 hours ago, Hasta said:

Red wine is on 2 for £7 in Lidl at the moment. Soften the blow.

Mercer only buys from M&S, lidl is beneath him. 

5 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

And we are more used to the pitch than any of our opposition since we've been training on it for a week or so.

Why are we training on the main pitch? We have indoor pitches, several at Brockhall, numerous public places (hire) etc. Something could be sorted as clearly using our match pitch to train, has wrecked it. Poor decision. 

• Like 1