BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom
Just now, rigger said:

No the person I quoted said that we needed new signings to replace the three duffers. I was showing that although not the best, we do have replacements already 

You didn't make that clear though. Now you have, so fine, but your post read as if Nyambe was a new signing when he isn't.

Don't really care how Downing looked against Rangers tbh, the fact remains he is not a defensive player and never has been. If we are planning to use him in that capacity we take a huge risk and I seriously doubt many people would have been happy at the end of last season if we'd been told Downing was going to be one of the defenders that were coming.

• Like 2

I judge a person on actions. 

As soon as mowbray went with 1 up top, against Charlton no less, i knew nothing had changed. 

If he had anything about him, he'd accept that he's not the manager to push us forward and resign. 

All we're going to be subjected to is more mediocrity and lies from mowbray. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I posted similar in the transfer thread earlier. Even the Chaddy’s of the world seem really peeved at the now infamous ‘defenders are coming line’. Funny how it’s only since Charlton bagged a couple against us though. To think some folk in the summer were peddling the ‘we’ll be fine with a new keeper and Johnson operating in front of the back 4’ line.

Yes I am abit peeved/annoyed at the lack of defenders signed. Yes I think a new keeper and Johnson will help defensive but we still needed more in terms of defenders. I also thought Mowbray would be more ruthless in terms of cutting the squad of players like Mulgrew

• Like 7

Seems we just dont get the players over the line that we highlight as targets. Im sure they were convinced that we were nailed on for Bauer and didnt really have much of a plan B lined up as i guess the plan was always going to be him and a young loanee. Then the GK saga went on for ages where we obviously missed out on our main targets and again ended up with a loan. We heard names like Darlow, Hart, Carson, Adrian, Martinez, Forster and ended up with a kid the same age but less experienced than Raya despite apparently wanting a commanding and more experienced keeper.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I am abit peeved/annoyed at the lack of defenders signed. Yes I think a new keeper and Johnson will help defensive but we still needed more in terms of defenders. I also thought Mowbray would be more ruthless in terms of cutting the squad of players like Mulgrew

Fair play for admitting it Chaddy. Let’s hope we get a couple through the door by Thursday tea time. I’m not convinced though! 

• Like 2

I have feeling Tony is going to be under great pressure very soon , there is no way on earth are we going to be competitive with the defenders already on the books ..2nd year syndrome , we were sussed out after failing to sign anyone in January ...

Saturday s game reminded me of the last days of Souey , Matteo out of position and a Spanish player ( forgot name ) who was finished if he ever started !!!

Just now, JacknOry said:

Seems we just dont get the players over the line that we highlight as targets. Im sure they were convinced that we were nailed on for Bauer and didnt really have much of a plan B lined up as i guess the plan was always going to be him and a young loanee. Then the GK saga went on for ages where we obviously missed out on our main targets and again ended up with a loan. We heard names like Darlow, Hart, Carson, Adrian, Martinez, Forster and ended up with a kid the same age but less experienced than Raya despite apparently wanting a commanding and more experienced keeper.

Not sure quite why they keep allegedly chasing targets they know from the off they can't afford.  Ok they may well keep pitching offers and hope that one just drops into place if they don't get what they're after elsewhere.  That though just leaves us hanging on then nothing gets resolved and it usually only ends one way, no player at all.   

Trying to do some things on the cheap but then lavishing money elsewhere is such a Rovers Venky era thing to do no wonder the squad is unbalanced quality wise. To my mind if you really want a good player you try and get near what they want and get the deal done because if they are half decent somebody else will pay it if you don't.

Think Bauer is a classic example of that.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Fair play for admitting it Chaddy. Let’s hope we get a couple through the door by Thursday tea time. I’m not convinced though! 

Neither am I GSR. 

I still a big fan of Mowbray and still backing him but if he doesn't sign anyone then I think he will a big ask to get us top 6 with that back 4. I like Bell but I don't think he is first choice in a top 6 team. 2nd choice yes. 1st choice in a middle of the team, but if we had an experience centre back next to him like Cooper or Hector then it would help him massively imo. Mulgrew isn't helping him at all

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Neither am I GSR. 

I still a big fan of Mowbray and still backing him but if he doesn't sign anyone then I think he will a big ask to get us top 6 with that back 4. I like Bell but I don't think he is first choice in a top 6 team. 2nd choice yes. 1st choice in a middle of the team, but if we had an experience centre back next to him like Cooper or Hector then it would help him massively imo. Mulgrew isn't helping him at all

I just don’t see how we can make top 6 with a back four that concedes so many goals. I think we’ll be scrapping for bottom half if we don’t strengthen.

I would be amazed if we bought in more than one which makes it a real challenge on which of the positions to sort. I can’t see us bringing in another CB if the manager thinks Tosin is the answer so in that case it may be a LB or RB. Can’t see us bringing in both :(

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Not sure quite why they keep allegedly chasing targets they know from the off they can't afford.  Ok they may well keep pitching offers and hope that one just drops into place if they don't get what they're after elsewhere.  That though just leaves us hanging on then nothing gets resolved and it usually only ends one way, no player at all.   

Trying to do some things on the cheap but then lavishing money elsewhere is such a Rovers Venky era thing to do no wonder the squad is unbalanced quality wise. To my mind if you really want a good player you try and get near what they want and get the deal done because if they are half decent somebody else will pay it if you don't.

Think Bauer is a classic example of that.

Bauer also sees Rovers after him in 2 previous Windows but not willing to pay a Penny in a Fee to get him sooner than when he becomes free.

Then its been rumoured telling him he was not coming in as even a starting (as opposed to guaranteed) CB.

When PNE came in for him with their vibrant young manager no wonder Bauer jumped at the chance over a dithering Rovers. I would have too!

Meanwhile, we've signed 2 strikers for millions who will struggle to get 20 goals between them in a full season. IMO.

Madness is being kind.

Thing is, I can't remember a time when the majority of this board lost faith in the manager, as has happened now, and that manager turned it around. It's always been a death knell it seems. When that sort of proportion of the board think the manager can't take us forward, we've always been proven right as far as I can think back.

The closest I can recall is probably Mowbray himself. I don't remember whether we quite reached that point during the disastrous start to League One, but we were certainly pretty close in the 1 win in 11. He earned a stay of execution after following that with the run of wins, finally playing Rothwell and promising defenders. But the failure to shore up the defence yet again, followed by a defeat to an awful team which evidenced he was still making almost all the same mistakes as last season (only exception being no Evans or Smallwood) has tipped us thoroughly into the majority having no confidence.

I'm not going to call for his head yet after just one game and with the window still open. It simply isn't my way (unless I'd said I wanted him gone all summer anyway). I see little point in giving a manager all summer, blowing the window opportunities somebody else could have had, to then only give them one or two games. But truthfully, it feels like the writing is on the wall and short of a shock success being made of the end of the window, I simply can't see how things will get better. I think he needs to turn this around rapidly or things could get sour with the fanbase at large rather than just the disgruntled lot here.

I have always been a TM fan. Always believed he was working towards something and a plan but couldnt set the ball rolling last year as he was a peice or 2 missing and didnt want to change in the season. His singings seemed strange and not that well thought out, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and backed him. I believed this season he would unveil some tactical evoloution of this team and it would all seem clearer and a lot would have to eat their words.

Then the charlton game happened and its clear he has no real plan, this team isnt evolving, he has no long term vision, his transfer dealings are a bit mental and without much thought. Im also now certain he has taken us as far as he can take us. His treatment of Rothwell alone convinces me he has lost the plot, but add in everything else and it pains me to say its time to go. I just hope im wrong and that 1st game is a massive wake up call to him and he does a big 180 turn in coming days

• Like 6

• Backroom

IF Mowbray is under pressure from Venky's (and I'm not convinced he is) to achieve a top six finish and we're struggling at the wrong end of the table by November I think he'll be gone. That's roughly how long Bowyer got in his final season. This doesn't feel like Bowyer's final season to me, though. I remember there being a lot of speculation that GB was unhappy, communications with India had stopped, and there was even a false report from the Sun at the end of August claiming Bowyer had been sacked. They were a few months early. 

I don't get that vibe from the club at the moment so unless we are in real trouble around Christmas time I expect Mowbray to still be here at the end of the season even if it's another lower mid-table finish. If so then I believe the 20/21 season will be where the pressure really starts to pile on from the owners.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

IF Mowbray is under pressure from Venky's (and I'm not convinced he is) to achieve a top six finish and we're struggling at the wrong end of the table by November I think he'll be gone. That's roughly how long Bowyer got in his final season. This doesn't feel like Bowyer's final season to me, though. I remember there being a lot of speculation that GB was unhappy, communications with India had stopped, and there was even a false report from the Sun at the end of August claiming Bowyer had been sacked. They were a few months early. 

I don't get that vibe from the club at the moment so unless we are in real trouble around Christmas time I expect Mowbray to still be here at the end of the season even if it's another lower mid-table finish. If so then I believe the 20/21 season will be where the pressure really starts to pile on from the owners.

The Waggott buffer will give Tony longer than Bowyer. I honestly think he would have to walk. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I think that is a pretty fair analysis of where we are at the moment.  I believe that the owners have a far better relationship with Mowbray than any of the previous managers they have employed.  I suspect that as long as we maintain a mid-table finish then he will get next season to make the push for the play-offs.

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Waggott buffer will give Tony longer than Bowyer. I honestly think he would have to walk. 

Possibly. They do seem to come as a package deal so if one goes I suspect the other will be out the door as well. If we're still struggling to get anywhere near the top six during the 20/21 season though I suspect Mowbray and Waggott will not see the season out. That's assuming this season sees us in mid-table, obviously.

45 minutes ago, DE. said:

Pretty much as I see it, DE.

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Meanwhile, we've signed 2 strikers for millions who will struggle to get 20 goals between them in a full season. IMO.

Madness is being kind.

One of them (Brereton) will struggle to get on the pitch, other than bit parts and I think Gallagher will go the same way if he doesn’t shape himself very shortly. I haven’t really seen anything to suggest either of them will be a success. For a club in our financial predicament to spend that sort of money on ‘bit’ players, as you say ARA, is madness.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17820029.rovers-chief-demands-expectations-owners-venkys/

Waggot, an example:

“I think there is a feeling now that we are really starting to build and gather some impetus into what we are doing.

“Players are buying into it and seeing the adjustments. They are getting a new recreation room, and now have a new viewing gallery for the Academy.”

I feel so much better ..........

Edited by AllRoverAsia

39 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17820029.rovers-chief-demands-expectations-owners-venkys/

Waggot, an example:

“I think there is a feeling now that we are really starting to build and gather some impetus into what we are doing.

“Players are buying into it and seeing the adjustments. They are getting a new recreation room, and now have a new viewing gallery for the Academy.”

I feel so much better ..........

Ya, it all sounds very comfy for the lads.

Now what are the repercussions for poor performances again?