BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

26 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

35 years ago I started supporting Rovers. At that point Liverpool were the best team in the country, but I didn't follow every other kid and stuck with my dad's club.

I sit here tonight having watched the Liverpool City game, thinking how much I enjoyed that and would rather watch Liverpool than my own team.

My 11 year old boy who has supported Rovers for 5 years can't stop talking about Liverpool now.

Thanks Tony

Thanks Venkys

Thanks for ripping the sole out of our Club.

Now if the Venkys aren't going to go then please Tony, do the decent thing and let somebody who has the ability to get us die hard Rovers fans smiling again take over.

That needs nipping in the bud, pronto!

Rather watch Liverpool, can’t stop talking about them...?

Snap out of it!

As much as it feels like it, even Mowbray won’t be here forever. I never thought Kean would go. Genuinely. But he did.

We are still a long way from having our Rovers back and it will likely take Waggot and Mowbray to both be replaced with better before that happens. Alas that word ‘better’ might not happen until long after the pieces (or whatever remains after the Rao’s clear off) have been picked up and put back together.

Right now though we need to put ‘better’ on hold and focus on ‘not getting any worse’ and halt the slide that we are currently in. To do that, fans like you and your son need to stick around because the kind of fans like those I will have to tolerate at work tomorrow (“we were never going to beat Leeds” and “losing 2-1 isn’t a bad result, certainly no shame”) will happily watching us slide down and out of the division before the reality dawns.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, martonrover said:

Mowbray is on record as saying he told Bauer he would have to be content with being a squad player who would have to fight his way into the first team.

After signing for Preston, Bauer stressed how impressed he was with Alex Neil during talks.

Enough said.

I could never understand people's reticence about maybe having to pay a couple of million for him when we were first linked with him. Everyone seemed to think we shouldn't go over about 500k but if the lad is at the age he's at and is as good as we presumably thought then 2m is an absolute snip in today's market.

From the Club's point of view our pursuit of him turned into an absolute farce with us fluttering our eyelashes at him for 12 months then getting gazumped at the last hurdle after Tony gave him the spiel about him not coming in as a guaranteed starter and having to displace others already here.

If he's the player you really want, pay the money and get him in. We should have had him tied up long before Preston even got involved. Then again, every transfer window has been an absolute car crash since Waggott joined the Club, not sure if it's more down to him, Mowbray or Venus who for some completely unknown reason is now involved with negotiating the contracts. Probably a combination of all three.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I could never understand people's reticence about maybe having to pay a couple of million for him when we were first linked with him. Everyone seemed to think we shouldn't go over about 500k but if the lad is at the age he's at and is as good as we presumably thought then 2m is an absolute snip in today's market.

From the Club's point of view our pursuit of him turned into an absolute farce with us fluttering our eyelashes at him for 12 months then getting gazumped at the last hurdle after Tony gave him the spiel about him not coming in as a guaranteed starter and having to displace others already here.

If he's the player you really want, pay the money and get him in. We should have had him tied up long before Preston even got involved. Then again, every transfer window has been an absolute car crash since Waggott joined the Club, not sure if it's more down to him, Mowbray or Venus who for some completely unknown reason is now involved with negotiating the contracts. Probably a combination of all three.

Some have suggested the owners will only sanction significant transfer fees for youngish players with potentially significant sell-on value and that that does not extend to defenders ?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Some have suggested the owners will only sanction significant transfer fees for youngish players with potentially significant sell-on value and that that does not extend to defenders ?

Leicester paid £12m for Harry Maguire and sold him for £80m. 

No sell-on value there then. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I heard that the deal fell through at negotiations with Tesco and Tony completely failing to tie the deal up when it was there to be done. 

Preston have a direct line to the decision maker with no delays and that’s what happened 

Shameful whatever way it happened.

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

I’ve been very vocal about the fact I believe this sort of policy to be the case for a long time. Before Mowbray came along. The last couple of years have just made me believe it even more.

I’ve gone into detail before about the fees involved in signing defenders. Scott Dann is rightly pointed out as the one major fee that has gone on defensive reinforcements. He was a last minute buy in silly season following N’Zonzi starting the season at centre half, and they lost a fortune on him. Perhaps the approach was a little different when Kean and his agent were around. Since then we haven’t paid more than £250k for a defender. We have picked up several freebies, converted several midfielders, borrowed, and relied heavily on the academy, and since Samba, Nelsen, Salgado, Jones and Givet were jettisoned for varying fees and in various farcical circumstances, we’ve had a defence lacking in both depth and quality. 

Add to this the early claptrap the lunatics came out with about “exciting attacking young players”.

It also ties in to things I hear from people who work at the club. If anyone believes that Venkys or their “trusted advisors” haven’t had input in signings, you’re deluded. If you believe this isn’t still happening you are, in my opinion, naive.

I’m not suggesting there is a written rule that states “DEFENDERS SHALL NOT BE PURCHASED”, but there is plenty to suggest that funds are not made available for players who don’t fit a certain profile. I’ve asked Mowbray, Waggott and Cheston about this pretty directly. Of course they denied it.

Probably the thing that convinced me there’s something to this more than anything is having heard Mowbray at the last consultation meeting. He ridiculed his defenders and spoke so passionately in the now infamous “defenders are coming” speech. I honestly can’t see how anyone who witnessed that (aside from the additional conversations at the end of the meeting) can believe for a minute he just changed his mind.

There are plenty of reasons to despise Venkys without the need for a fictitious stick. I’d call this a theory with a fair bit of evidence to suggest it’s true.

Oh, and from what I hear, it extends to goalkeepers too.

hear from where? 

I cant see any owners saying we cant see a defender or keeper for cash

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

hear from where? 

From people in the club. Don’t ask who, because I’m not enough of a dick head to tell you.

Cant you? I’m not surprised.

I can’t see that our entire defence and all our goalkeepers combined cost as much as Dominic Samuel.

Just now, Miller11 said:

From people in the club. Don’t ask who, because I’m not enough of a dick head to tell you.

Cant you? I’m not surprised.

I can’t see that our entire defence and all our goalkeepers combined cost as much as Dominic Samuel.

I wouldn't ask Miller who for reasons that are clear. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

hear from where? 

We don't spend money on defenders even when it is obvious that we should do. That has been the case for 8 years under 6 different managers. Quite a coincidence that all those managers have decided to avoid spending on the defence. Meanwhile Rhodes, Brereton and Gallagher money appears from somewhere.

One constant is the ownership who appear to need to be persuaded to release extra cash for new signings. I don't think it is unreasonable to suspect that there are people advising the owners on what to provide money for and part of that is a belief that strikers are better investments than defenders.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

We don't spend money on defenders even when it is obvious that we should do. That has been the case for 8 years under 6 different managers. Quite a coincidence that all those managers have decided to avoid spending on the defence. Meanwhile Rhodes, Brereton and Gallagher money appears from somewhere.

One constant is the ownership who appear to need to be persuaded to release extra cash for new signings. I don't think it is unreasonable to suspect that there are people advising the owners on what to provide money for and part of that is a belief that strikers are better investments than defenders.

Defenders go for alot of money just as much as strikers. 

Look at Konsa who cost 15 mil for Villa a year after Brentford paid 5 mil for him. 

John Egan or Joe Worrall who I thought we should have gone for when we got promoted. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

But there's absolutely no evidence to back this claim up?

Not sure i buy that either although i could well see their 'advisers' influencing it.  Such is TMs stock with them though that i think if he said it was a good idea to shell out a package of 2.5 million on a four year deal for Bauer they'd have signed it off.

It's down to him this surely a couple of experienced centre half loans would have helped. Don't tell me if he sourced a couple on the bench of a Prem / big Champ club and we only had to pay half whack for them in wages they wouldn't jump at that.

Edited by tomphil

4 minutes ago, Amo said:

"I felt an equaliser was coming... but we weren't making any clear-cut chances"

He gets bored of his own b*llshit after 30 seconds.

So he brought on Evans and basically put a stop to that !

Edited by tomphil