BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Mowbray: “I generally pick Elliott Bennett because he drives this team, the life of the dressing room. Every player in that dressing room looks up to Elliott Bennett and when he talks, they listen."

I simply refuse to believe that.

Just because Mowbray says something it does not make it true.

Mowbray, being deluded, will believe it.

He's away with the Fairies, poor Sod.

Mowbray, just do one.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray: “I generally pick Elliott Bennett because he drives this team, the life of the dressing room. Every player in that dressing room looks up to Elliott Bennett and when he talks, they listen."

Talking in the dressing room is one thing transferring it into action on the pitch is another, if that's your criteria for picking the team Mowbray then you are a fool, being the life of the dressing room does not make you a better player.

Remember the old saying" if you can talk the talk you have to walk the walk' and that's just not happening.

As much as I think he needs replacing the reality is that, unless he resigns we are stuck with him. The power base he has built at Rovers has him firmly at the helm and the autonomy he has will make it nigh on impossible for his subserviants to do anything. The Indians haven't got the foggiest about what a shambles the club really is and their failure to appoint a real Chief Exec (as opposed to the managers mate) is going to see us in another relegation scrap on their watch. Mowbrays inane ramblings in recent times demonstrate he has run his course. Managers who constantly defend themselves are usually out of ideas.

Once again the tail is wagging the dog as we crash and burn.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

As much as I think he needs replacing the reality is that, unless he resigns we are stuck with him. The power base he has built at Rovers has him firmly at the helm and the autonomy he has will make it nigh on impossible for his subserviants to do anything. The Indians haven't got the foggiest about what a shambles the club really is and their failure to appoint a real Chief Exec (as opposed to the managers mate) is going to see us in another relegation scrap on their watch. Mowbrays inane ramblings in recent times demonstrate he has run his course. Managers who constantly defend themselves are usually out of ideas.

Once again the tail is wagging the dog as we crash and burn.

In all my years in following Rovers and Football, in general, I cannot recall another manager having such control over a Club as Mowbray does at Rovers. It has been achieved in a relatively short time frame which speaks volumes for the ineptitude and disinterest of the owners,

Mowbray tried the same sort of 'takeover' at Coventry but came across more business savvy ownership.

I am at a loss to understand how so many of our Fans, well what remains of our decimated following, cannot see through this charade sold on the back of a "I build Football Clubs"

I truly hope I last long enough to see the back of Mowbray and his cohorts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw_ said:

Talking in the dressing room is one thing transferring it into action on the pitch is another, if that's your criteria for picking the team Mowbray then you are a fool, being the life of the dressing room does not make you a better player.

Remember the old saying" if you can talk the talk you have to walk the walk' and that's just not happening.

Absolutely. For all of Mowbray’s tubthumping (and I genuinely think he believes his own press - not helped when the LT is simply an echo chamber) the only thing that matters is results.

If you get them, you can point to the successful contributions of whomever you like. If you don’t get them then to congratulate folk for failure just makes you look foolish.

In other walks of like, you have to have a clear idea of what a successful result is. In football is is very simple indeed.

Everyday my hate for TM increases. That whole passage is trash. The Rothwell topic blows my mind. Wasn't he our best player in the last few games & didn't he score goals? All of a sudden, start of the season comes and he drops him? Don't care what anyone says Mowbray is falling into the coyle & kean group for me. He's done his bit & at this moment in time he couldn't be more out of his depth if he tried. Please fuck off.

• Like 1

Ive heard and read the Rothwell part of the interview and I can understand what he says and why he hasnt picked him. Holtby performance has been better after that game. 

As for the comment about Mowbray is falling into Coyle and Kean group. I have to say that is disgraceful comment and he doesnt deserve that sort of comments from Fans after the good job he has done here. 

• Like 1

“I felt as if we did address the defence. We changed the left back, brought Cunningham in, we brought Adarabioyo who has the potential to be a really top player. There’s no need to go and buy another three centre halves and have them sitting on the bench thinking ‘why did they sign me?’”

Why do you do that with midfielders and strikers then Tony?

Anyhow, you dont buy defenders to sit on the bench, you buy them to come into the team as the defence we currently have is atrocious. Buy better than what we have and challenge those dropped to force their way back in. He has it the wrong way around so no wonder Bauer turned us down.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Raya and Mulgrew singles out in relation to Rovers 69 goals conceded last season.

Let’s have a look...

Raya conceded 13 in 16 [0.8pg], 5 clean sheets (38%)

Walton conceded 24 in 16 [1.5pg], 4 clean sheets (17%)

Mulgrew conceded 6 goals in 8 games [1.3pg], 4 clean sheets (50%)

Lenihan, 13 in 10 [1.3pg], 4 cs (31%)

Williams, 22 in 15 [1.5pg], 4 cs (18%)

Adarabioyo, 15 in 8 [1.88pg], 1 cs (at rb) (7%)

Nyambe, 9 in 6 [1.5pg], 1 cs (11%)

Bell, 11 in 5 [2.2pg], 1 cs (9%)

Bennett, 24 in 16 [1.5pg], 4 cs (16%)

The two player ‘blamed’ and let go for our 69 goals are actual better than our current lot.

So is it still the individuals or is there something inherently wrong with the way Mowbray sets up his defence and goalkeeping departments? (We all know his recruitment there is shocking).

Another ingredient in our 2019/20 recipe for disaster.

36 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That interview is a disgrace. The entirely predictable excuses about injuries appearing when everyone knew we were short at the back and would struggle to cope with what we had.

Mowbray then makes a veiled dig at people saying we should have signed more defenders saying he isn't prepared to 'stack' them up. Nobody is suggesting that. We went through the summer with Lenihan and Mulgrew as our only fit established CBs. We've done it on the cheap by trying to convert Williams into one. Added a young lad on loan and then replaced Mulgrew at CB with Cunningham at LB. Any manager with an understanding of these players would know Lenihan is a certainty to miss weeks of a season with his history.

It would have been sufficient to sign two natural, experienced CBs who haven't spent their lives in the treatment room.

Not one admission that his recruitment, management or coaching is in any shape or form relevant to our dire defence and results.

If he couldn't address the defence last summer with what we had last season and the cash he had then he's beyond redemption and certainly doesn't deserve another shot at it.

If he still believes that his transfer business in the summer was sufficient and that our struggles are down to injuries then he needs his head looking at.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 9

Just now, JacknOry said:

“I felt as if we did address the defence. We changed the left back, brought Cunningham in, we brought Adarabioyo who has the potential to be a really top player. There’s no need to go and buy another three centre halves and have them sitting on the bench thinking ‘why did they sign me?’”

Why do you do that with midfielders and strikers then Tony?

Anyhow, you dont buy defenders to sit on the bench, you buy them to come into the team as the defence we currently have is atrocious. Buy better than what we have and challenge those dropped to force their way back in. He has it the wrong way around so no wonder Bauer turned us down.

He conveniently doesn't mention Mulgrew leaving or sending out three centre halves on loan or the fact he had to replace a left back who he signed who isn't good enough. It's a classic deflection tactic. He is insulting our intelligence now. I'd have far more respect for him if he admitted his errors.

• Like 3

To be fair, many of us pointed out last season that we won  more games without Mulgrew than with him. That said, it was blindingly obvious we'd struggle to get through a season with only two senior centre-backs and a City loanee. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

If he thought those two signings alongside ditching another and swapping the keeper would solve our defensive issues i don't think we need say anymore.  He's done it for us.

All loans as well dont forget, Walton, Cunningham, and Tosin are not even ours. Another patch up job instead of just going and getting a couple of big and nasty CBs through the door. Instead, he decides to spunk another few million on another striker that doesnt score goals.

• Like 1

If you go out and sign better than what you have then you don't 'stack them up on the bench' do you. The whole idea is to improve by bringing better in which isn't that difficult given how distinctly average ours are.  He's had the money he's chucked it elsewhere, he had a decent prospect lined up but let it go. 

He didn't have the minerals to upgrade on Lenihen who he's admitted isn't strong enough to be a full season centre half. Then in typical fashion he's shoved one of his favs, Williams to the top of the pecking order after he's declared he's now a centre half not a left back. In short he's quite simply tried to make do and mend yet again and he's been exposed yet again as flawed in that area.

But this is what happens when you see every signing you make as a back up player to what is nothing more than average in most cases in the first place. Even more bizarre when you allegedly spend a million in loaning in the least experienced one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ive heard and read the Rothwell part of the interview and I can understand what he says and why he hasnt picked him. Holtby performance has been better after that game. 

As for the comment about Mowbray is falling into Coyle and Kean group. I have to say that is disgraceful comment and he doesnt deserve that sort of comments from Fans after the good job he has done here. 

Hes talking hypocritical bollocks about Rothwell yet again chaddy.

In isolation, demanding more end product from a player is fair. That said, hes started him 3 times, all in tough away games, all in isolation before being singled out and dropped immediately. 20 minutes here and there is no good. This is on the back of an outstanding run at the back end of last season. He says he picks Armstrong because he is fast, but Rothwell is just as fast, yet Armstrong is repeatedly both ineffective and disinterested. So why the double standards? Why doesnt Rothwell get a few games together to give us that pace and see if he can do more than Armstrong, it wont be hard.

I agree with his comments on Dack because he is one of only 2 players we have who guarantees a source of goals. The other has sat on the bench all season for a terrible striker in Gallagher who contrary to popular belief mainly has played in his favoured position and has done so bar for one half incredibly ineffectively.

He mentions Travis, again I dont disagree that he needs to work on his ball retention. That said, Mowbray has signed players like Johnson (incapable of playing on the half turn) and Gallagher (technically very poor) in his attempt to remodel us into a technical side. His supposedly and as of yet very much failed "philosophy" is full of holes.

His comments about Bennett are unsurprising but shocking. Bennett is crap, he is quite simply not good enough as a footballer at this level, albeit Mowbray doesnt touch on his football ability, suggesting he picks him solely on character. But if Bennett is the driver of the team, he is driving it to stagnation, hes hardly leading, its repeated limp performances.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Hes talking hypocritical bollocks about Rothwell yet again chaddy.

In isolation, demanding more end product from a player is fair. That said, hes started him 3 times, all in tough away games, all in isolation before being singled out and dropped immediately. 20 minutes here and there is no good. This is on the back of an outstanding run at the back end of last season. He says he picks Armstrong because he is fast, but Rothwell is just as fast, yet Armstrong is repeatedly both ineffective and disinterested. So why the double standards? Why doesnt Rothwell get a few games together to give us that pace and see if he can do more than Armstrong, it wont be hard.

I agree with his comments on Dack because he is one of only 2 players we have who guarantees a source of goals. 

All games are tough at this level so talking bollocks and making excuses time after time. 

Last season form counts count for nothing right now. Its about now and future.

I disagree with Mowbray's comments on Dack. If Dack isnt playing well I would take him off. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

All games are tough at this level so talking bollocks and making excuses time after time. 

Last season form counts count for nothing right now. Its about now and future.

I disagree with Mowbray's comments on Dack. If Dack isnt playing well I would take him off. 

Ive no idea what that first sentence is in response too. And no, today we are playing at home against a side with crap players who havent managed to win since the opening day. New manager bounce, injuries, whatever the excuses are, they are moot, nothing less than a win is acceptable today.

Why does Armstrong get in the team due to solely to pace when hes been failing to provide an end product for months? Rothwell shares blinding pace so why is he being treated differently. Because like Bennett and Gallagher, Armstrong is one of Mowbrays favourites, and the three of them bring the quality of our team down quite considerably.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

He conveniently doesn't mention Mulgrew leaving or sending out three centre halves on loan or the fact he had to replace a left back who he signed who isn't good enough. It's a classic deflection tactic. He is insulting our intelligence now. I'd have far more respect for him if he admitted his errors.

Two left backs who aren't good enough, don't forget Hart.