BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I am afraid so - although of course Mowbray will go eventually - before Venkys do I expect

I think then that your logic is skewed. Taking it a step further should they not have sacked Coyle using your logic?

• Like 2

I do find it really strange that people cant enjoy a late winner at Ewood. For a start, he wouldnt have been sacked regardless of the result. I am very much in the Mowbray out crowd and wasnt impressed by the performance at all, with predictable shite performances of Walton, Gallagher, Armstrong, Bennett and Bell never ceasing to amaze. But I was still elated when Dack put in the winner.

• Like 3

Totally agree, Stuart. Unfortunately, do we really think they will learn ?

Depends who you talk to. Some think that we should forgive them and trust them.

At the end of the day, if we still believe that this is a football club and still pay to watch then we should still be able to demand that the manager is held accountable for failure.

I cannot and will not accept the argument of sticking with mediocrity and failure “just in case” the next manager “could” be worse. They also “could” be better. Lambert was better than Bowyer. Mowbray was better than Coyle. But every manager has a shelf life.

Mowbray is the 10th longest serving EFL manager, and 2nd longest Championship one, despite having been relegated during that time and having the worst run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The 1970-71, 1978-79 and 2016-17 seasons

Personally, 2011-12 was much worse than 2016-17. That season laid the groundwork for all the crap that has come after it. It would've been incredibly hard to get away with raping the club like they have in the glare of the PL. Terrible football, plus that shit eating, lip licking, smarmy grin staring out at us as we sank meekly, helplessly, away from the big time that Jack, Kenny, Souey, John Williams and many others, these weasels in charge now couldn't hold a candle too as long they have a hole in their collective arses, worked so hard to put in place. That season with him in charge alone knocked 10,000 off the gates and ensured many would never come back.

• Like 9

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

I do find it really strange that people cant enjoy a late winner at Ewood. For a start, he wouldnt have been sacked regardless of the result. I am very much in the Mowbray out crowd and wasnt impressed by the performance at all, with predictable shite performances of Walton, Gallagher, Armstrong, Bennett and Bell never ceasing to amaze. But I was still elated when Dack put in the winner.

It’s not a choice people consciously make.

I wish I was bouncing around uncontrollably at full time but i just wasn’t today.

Maybe it’s me and I’ve just fallen out of love with football a bit, but none of that is a conscious effort.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

Just now, Tom said:

It’s not a choice people consciously make.

I wish I was bouncing around uncontrollably at full time but i just wasn’t today.

Maybe it’s me and I’ve just fallen out of love with football a bit, but none of that is a conscious effort.

Thats unfortunate, I can understand the belief that our season is fizzling out, if youve fallen out of love with football then that is unfortunate but I think many are over simplifying it by suggesting that we either win or Mowbray goes. I want him gone but I still love a late winner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I think then that your logic is skewed. Taking it a step further should they not have sacked Coyle using your logic?

No - I didn't quite mean that. I don't want Mowbray fired under the present owners because I don't think Mowbray is going to relegate us and their new pick might well do based on the quality of some of their previous decisions. In contrast it was clear to all of us from a long way out that Coyle was going to relegate us and so there was no downside in moving him out

The play offs were introduced for the end of the 1986-87 season so I don't think what you are saying is quite right.

Nowhere do I say that I am happy with where we are. My original post today was in response to a supporter's claim that he was unmoved by us winning today's game with a late goal. I just find it hard to believe that a football supporter really thinks like that. Sitting down here in the South of England I was out of my chair for that winning goal.

i was out of the ground heading for my car disgusted with the non performance

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Late goals and a win is USUALLY what football is all about - indeed there was a cracking atmosphere in the ground and buzz up Livesey Branch after the Sheff Wed game.

However, if you were there you must admit it wasn’t like that in the slightest today. A bit of relief, perhaps, but most folk seemed to be trudging out of Ewood either in silence or slagging the team and manager off.

• Like 1

No - I didn't quite mean that. I don't want Mowbray fired under the present owners because I don't think Mowbray is going to relegate us and their new pick might well do based on the quality of some of their previous decisions. In contrast it was clear to all of us from a long way out that Coyle was going to relegate us and so there was no downside in moving him out

I can now see why you are struggling to grasp why people are so upset despite winning today...

Alarm bells should be ringing all over the place. A home win and fans not being happy is the start of a toxic situation.

They must be different Evertonians from the ones who were sending out anti-Allardyce chants when he was their manager - a case of thinking the grass on the other side is always greener

There were plenty here just as daft.

• Like 4

Just now, Stuart said:

I can now see why you are struggling to grasp why people are so upset despite winning today...

Alarm bells should be ringing all over the place. A home win and fans not being happy is the start of a toxic situation.

Unlike you I don't attend home games so cannot judge how representative posters on this board are of fans inside the ground. Apparently today there were some chants along the lines of "sort it out" . But maybe as we won the match most of those will conclude that he did sort it out and have gone home happy ?

Lots of supporters feel that Mowbray will have us in a relegation scrap and possibly take us down this season which is why the general belief is that change is needed now. And if he does take us down that will be two relegations on Mowbrays watch.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Late goals and a win is USUALLY what football is all about - indeed there was a cracking atmosphere in the ground and buzz up Livesey Branch after the Sheff Wed game.

However, if you were there you must admit it wasn’t like that in the slightest today. A bit of relief, perhaps, but most folk seemed to be trudging out of Ewood either in silence or slagging the team and manager off.

I was there and I found the first 85 minutes to be incredibly frustrating, the performance was undoubtedly shite and I still am of that opinion despite the late winner. The same things time after time aggravate and annoy me and I want the manager out still. But I was delighted to get the late winner and that was the main feeling I had. I am not optimistic about our overall situation but when the ball hit the net and when the whistle went I was momentarily elated.

I think the main factor is people suggesting that it has saved Mowbray which I dont believe is true. With his mate running things his job is safe regardless. 

• Like 2

Unlike you I don't attend home games so cannot judge how representative posters on this board are of fans inside the ground. Apparently today there were some chants along the lines of "sort it out" . But maybe as we won the match most of those will conclude that he did sort it out and have gone home happy ?

You are posting on a fan site with a particularly cynical cross-section of the fanbase.

Tony has enjoyed the best fanbase support of any manager under Venkys. “Tony sort it out” is the compromise chant that both remainders and leavers can agree on. Trust me when I say that this was a watershed moment. Particularly when you combine it with tentative boos.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

You are posting on a fan site with a particularly cynical cross-section of the fanbase.

Tony has enjoyed the best fanbase support of any manager under Venkys. “Tony sort it out” is the compromise chant that both remainders and leavers can agree on. Trust me when I say that this was a watershed moment. Particularly when you combine it with tentative boos.

Thanks. Were there any boos after we had won the match ?

We were 3-2 up playing 4 minutes of added time when we fouled one of their players close to the D of our penalty area. I fully expected their free kick to result in an equaliser. The ref blew, but not for a free kick, for full time.

What a relief!!  That, Mr mashed potato was what happened at Ewood today. And that is why dozens of us are trying to make a point about how we play (week after week after week) and not just a scabby win today.

• Like 1

Until today I thought we were a mid-table team that had had a bad run, as all mid-table teams do. And we still are, if the players are committed. Today showed me that they aren’t. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mowbrays latest LT article digging out what he sees as the faults of half the team hadn’t lost the dressing room. Because it should have done. I’ve never read an interview like it.

But history has shown us that fan unrest, bad results, even relegation don’t have any influence whatsoever on the owners. He’ll be here till they decide he won’t be, no matter what happens on the field or in the stands.

Will we get anyone better? Probably not. How many of the last 8 managers have had their career enhanced by coming here? None. Would you come here? I wouldn’t.

Winter is coming.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Was hoping to wake up today and see the headline "Mowbray steps down as Rovers manager"

What on earth have you seen to make you even think this was a remote possibility?

He isn't getting a gig as good as this again, he's never walking away. Especially after a win.

• Like 2

I think reading between the lines of his recent comments he's basically said i haven't lost the players they are doing as i ask so i see no reason to walk away. However if others don't think it's good enough then it's their call but if not i'll just plod on and keep doing what i'm doing the way i'm doing it.

That's the vibe i get and i don't believe he's lost the majority of players i actually believe they are as loyal to his instructions as he is to a lot of them. I don't think a lot of them are comfortable with it though that's why the performances are poor and often listless, it's like collectively they are all just waiting for something to click then it'll all be good.

Somehow i can't see that happening.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't often post on here but attend all home games and many away. From experience of ear-wigging conversations, the only people who don't regularly moan about poor management and non-sensical substitutions are the away <I only go to get boozed/drugged up> fans who don't really notice the football. People were VERY angry (by Riverside standards) yesterday about the garbage play with numerous boos directed at Mowbray for his substitutions and no-one I noticed on the walk up Livesey Branch Road went home happy. If they did, they did it quietly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks. Were there any boos after we had won the match ?

We beat the bottom club in the last few minutes. We were at home! We had 30+%  possession--- at home. They had way more shots than we did. They've won one game all season, in September I think. Their goal difference is the worst in the division,-18!

For God's sake, get some bloody perspective. Its fair enough to feel relief because we escaped. Its not a cause for dancing in the street is it?

• Like 6