BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, arbitro said:

The Blackburn End chanting 'Mowbray sort it out' made me chuckle. It's because he can't sort it out that we are in this position.

He seems to be a little sensitive over what really was a tame reaction when quite easily the heat could have been turned up. After forty years in the game he should know how fans react to a succession of poor performances and results.

I agree. I think the length of time it has taken and its tameness, is because they know what TM has done for us in the past.

Not many of his predecessors would have had such a period of grace, given his dire efforts in the transfer market and such awful performances over such a long period.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Heard any whispers, Paul?

I wouldn’t say whispers as such. I’m very sure he won’t be sacked. But I’m also fairly sure that he won’t hang in there if it’s going wrong with the fans etc...he’s a really top guy. High morals and principles. Enough to walk away from his contract if necessary.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I wouldn’t say whispers as such. I’m very sure he won’t be sacked. But I’m also fairly sure that he won’t hang in there if it’s going wrong with the fans etc...he’s a really top guy. High morals and principles. Enough to walk away from his contract if necessary.

I too believe he is a principled guy and resigning is the way he will leave. I do think though that he will seek assurances for his staff either financially or through security of employment.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 1

Tony wants Christmas off to spend with his family. 

I'm not sure if many people know this but, he's from the North East and doesn't spend much time at home. He gives everything to the Club!!!

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I don’t think there has been anything personal, certainly not abuse, either. 
If he played players in the right position and stopped making silly decisions, then fans would feel more confident and less anxious. 
The anxiety comes from knowing what we are like. Only he can alleviate that by making us harder to beat.

We've shipped an average of two goals a game in the last ten matches, and haven't kept a clean sheet since September 14th. Of course people are anxious and irritated. If he's genuinely this stung by what was a pretty tame reaction to another dire, defensively shambolic performance then, as Dunny once said, he needs to "get real". It would be nice to hear honest Tony for once admit that he hasn't gotten it right so far and is working on improving our form, rather than blaming the fans, Rothwell, Travis, Nyambe, etc. He admitted at the end of last season that we weren't good enough defensively (although seemed to put the blame on the players again) yet here we are with the exact same problems going into December with no admission from the manager that it has anything to do with him. 

• Like 5

I suspect a bad reaction after a loss vs Brentford may be enough to see him walk.

The fear then is who is brought in to replace him. We currently have Dack and Holtby which surely is an attractive proposition to some managers. More likely DJ takes over until the end of the season with a view to either continue or replace. Decisions aren't taken quickly at Rovers for better or worse.

• Like 1

Only way to get him out is to show fan displeasure. I’m sorry it had to come to this but he won’t be sacked and fans need to show that they don’t want him. I’m surprised it hasn’t long before now. Please any fans go to Brentford, show displeasure at direction out ship is sailing. It’s time for a new captain of this vessel 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Only way to get him out is to show fan displeasure. I’m sorry it had to come to this but he won’t be sacked and fans need to show that they don’t want him. I’m surprised it hasn’t long before now. Please any fans go to Brentford, show displeasure at direction out ship is sailing. It’s time for a new captain of this vessel 

Err, don't go to Brentford. The game's at home.

• Like 3

Just now, davulsukur said:

Agreed, it shouldn't come to a situation where the fans have to show displeasure on a matchday and the manager walks because of it.

I remember the Saturday QPR home game when the crowd turned on KIddo, As we were walking off I said to my son " He'll be gone on Monday ". And he was. That was when we had owners who listened to the fan base.

I remember my local rugby league team was having a really bad spell and the natives were getting really restless. As the coach was walking off up the tunnel a fan shouted down to him - " Agar, the pistol's on the table ! " He didn't last long after that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think he is on the edge from reading that latest interview. He seems like the type that'd get very emotional if the crowd properly turned and I think they are one thumping away from doing so... and that could very much happen on Wednesday. So say he does walk the biggest concern, as per usual, is Venkys.

As he'll have walked, rather than wait to be sacked, there'll be no plan, if there ever is one with those clowns. So my money would be on DJ for the rest of the season which actually I'm not overly concerned with. I'm positive there is so much more ability in this squad than is currently being shown and the reason for the poor showing this season is squarely on TM's shoulders, so i'd back DJ to keep us up as a minimum whilst we search for a new manager. If he does well and get us firmly top half then give him the job full time. If not the clowns will have had 6 months to try and find a someone who could give us a serious run at the play-offs..

Naive perhaps but it shows how disillusioned I've become with Mowbray.  

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

I'd rather he was sacked tbh, at least it would show some awareness of the situation.  

Precisely. All well and good expecting Mowbray to walk but we are back at square one - manager has too much power and not enough handle on the situation upstairs. My impression is that the whole operation would be thrown into chaos if Mowbray suddenly didn't turn up for work. 

I feel Mowbray may walk in the not too distant future. He isn't a mercenary and strikes me as a bloke who at his age would quite enjoy spending some quality time with his family. 

The issue comes back to the inadequate structure at the club and its ability to deal with adverse situations. Venkys are used to their managers being grateful and hanging on for dear life/big payoff. If Mowbray walks that will take them by surprise.

The obvious, easy, cheap route will be to ask Venus or Johnson to take the reigns whilst confusion and inertia sets in. Hope they do a steady job and then their permanent appointments can  be rubber stamped with minimal outrage from the terraces.

So predictable it is boring. The only time we've bucked this old routine was with Lambert and they got burned with his outspoken approach.

• Like 2

All down to the owners and their friends and investors how they see it it's irrelevant what fans feel. If they actually set any targets and if they feel he has blown their investment money.

Flip side if they haven't set any and they have told him who to spend on then they'll just let if flounder on and ignore it.

• Like 1

It’s more difficult a decision for the owners and their advisors. Undoubtedly things haven’t been great for 12 months. But, overall TM has had a hugely positive effect on the club both on and off the pitch. They see a man of real substance who cares deeply about the club, supporters, players and staff. He’s so hard working and genuine. All those around him want him to succeed.

Im pretty sure he won’t be sacked. But he will walk as and when the tide turns on him...

It’s more difficult a decision for the owners and their advisors. Undoubtedly things haven’t been great for 12 months. But, overall TM has had a hugely positive effect on the club both on and off the pitch. They see a man of real substance who cares deeply about the club, supporters, players and staff. He’s so hard working and genuine. All those around him want him to succeed.

Im pretty sure he won’t be sacked. But he will walk as and when the tide turns on him...

And yet despite this we have made no progression in the 1,000 days he's been here. 

He should walk because he's realised he's taken us as far as he can rather than because he is getting a little bit of grief off people who pay big money to watch him and his team under perform every week. 

But he's only human and walking away from another 2 years money won't sit well that's why i think he's putting out the 'mutual consent' signals.

Won't walk but doesn't want to be a burden, misses family - an hour and a half up the road - still thinks he has the players but losing the fans etc.

• Like 2

Not quite sure why Mowbray feels he is under massive pressure from the fans as I’ve not heard much criticism (admittedly the Riverside mob are generally quite a tolerant bunch, when they’re awake)  

If Mowbray feels the heat it is because he isn’t delivering results consistently and the team lacks resilience. That is his and his team’s responsibility. Surely as a football fan himself he must understand our frustration. 

Whether he walks or is sacked really doesn’t matter but I do fear that Venkys won’t replace him with someone much better. 

Personally I feel that Saturdays match was a watershed and it will go one way or the other. If we can improve on the defensive side and carry on scoring then who knows? The next few games will be telling. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Venky’s still have a reputation as nutter owners, so a well timed resignation could work to his advantage on getting another decent gig at this level...

Yeah. They only gave me £14m - what did they expect?

Well, Champions League football for £5m a window for one. So should have known what he was getting into before he joined.

It’s really sad that it seems to be coming down to this but he only has himself to blame. Same mistakes week in week out, same glaring issues not addressed window after window.

”Tony, Tony, Sort it out” is very very tame. Yet someone called you a snowflake! (Got 4 likes on that there Twitter though so fair’s fair).

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Yeah. They only gave me £14m - what did they expect?

Well, Champions League football for £5m a window for one. So should have known what he was getting into before he joined.

It’s really sad that it seems to be coming down to this but he only has himself to blame. Same mistakes week in week out, same glaring issues not addressed window after window.

”Tony, Tony, Sort it out” is very very tame. Yet someone called you a snowflake! (Got 4 likes on that there Twitter though so fair’s fair).

Yes, Mick's "cauldron of hate" was more like a bowl of lukewarm cabbage water.

But cauldrons are coming... 

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 5