BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Got it right again today although it isn't rocket science, team plays well wins leave it alone.

Best thing in regards to him today for me was the subs, changes at the right time for the right reasons, fatigue and a knock. Players in the right positions and some basic stodgy at the back counter attacking away from home. No silly needles changes, tactical messing about, and subs for the sake of it or to be nice to someone.

We've seen how it should be this week with this squad doing things the way it suits them. Play a higher tempo at home, keep square pegs in square holes and be sol.id and counter attack away.  That's all you need in this division it won't always work but neither will an alien style of football or constant swapping changing players and tactics.

Stick to what the players know and they are comfortable with and we'll move forwards finally. I'd hope the penny has dropped but going off the recent past it'll be a purple patch we should enjoy before things start getting muddled again.

• Like 6

Just now, tomphil said:

Got it right again today although it isn't rocket science, team plays well wins leave it alone.

Best thing in regards to him today for me was the subs, changes at the right time for the right reasons, fatigue and a knock. Players in the right positions and some basic stodgy at the back counter attacking away from home. No silly needles changes, tactical messing about, and subs for the sake of it or to be nice to someone.

We've seen how it should be this week with this squad doing things the way it suits them. Play a higher tempo at home, keep square pegs in square holes and be sol.id and counter attack away.  That's all you need in this division it won't always work but neither will an alien style of football or constant swapping changing players and tactics.

Stick to what the players know and they are comfortable with and we'll move forwards finally. I'd hope the penny has dropped but going off the recent past it'll be a purple patch we should enjoy before things start getting muddled again.

It's that simple. 

Interestingly, although in this instance I am pleased, TM has again gone against what he said: keeping everyone happy and picking the team for the game  - after hearing those comments I feared the worst, but he did the opposite, kept the same team and it had a result. 

The big question is, as the pressure and frustration rescinds, does TM go back to the old ways or keep with this correct team selection and style. Will be very interesting to see what he does. If he needed any more evidence to keep it simple, the last 2 games really should have shown him that's the case. Here's hoping he has learned his lesson and continues in a similar manner. 

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Exactly,because the thing is ,we have some good players 

• Like 2

On 25/11/2019 at 18:58, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Not quite sure why Mowbray feels he is under massive pressure from the fans as I’ve not heard much criticism (admittedly the Riverside mob are generally quite a tolerant bunch, when they’re awake)  

If Mowbray feels the heat it is because he isn’t delivering results consistently and the team lacks resilience. That is his and his team’s responsibility. Surely as a football fan himself he must understand our frustration. 

Whether he walks or is sacked really doesn’t matter but I do fear that Venkys won’t replace him with someone much better. 

Personally I feel that Saturdays match was a watershed and it will go one way or the other. If we can improve on the defensive side and carry on scoring then who knows? The next few games will be telling. 

Looks like the Barnsley game was the watershed. 

The manager and players have reacted positively and with determination. 

The defensive side has definitely improved in the last two games but that’s because the team is set up correctly

• Like 3

Let's not get carried away here.  History suggests we have a spell winning games, get a sniff of the playoffs, then a long losing run. 

He's stuck with a side featuring Rothwell, Graham and Nyambe.  All of whom pretty much all fans said should be starting weeks ago.  He's dropped Bennett - flagged by most supporters as a weak link this season. 

He gets my support back when he keeps us in the top ten for more than a week or two.

20 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray: "Whether the fans are happy or whether the fans didn’t want me here, I’m not going to change anything I do"

What a couple of wins will do.

He reads this MB too much.

He's forgotten he dropped Bennett.

Apart from dropping Bennett. 

And playing Rothwell. 

And dropping Gally. 

And playing Graham. 

And having Downing at left back. 

Armstrong actually being on the right wing. 

And having Evans instead of Holtby. 

Apart from that nothing changed. 

Also it sounds a bit of an antagonistic interview and not very endearing by TM whatsoever. 

• Like 2

lets not get carried away,tony has had a week to think about tactics,which is pretty scary,bennett will no doubt have been in the managers office stating "i played well for 20 minutes boss,did you see that pass,boss,did you see me play well,that nyambe was pants,im`e a lot better,just give me another chance boss,i`ll mow your lawn if you start me on saturday"

7 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lets not get carried away,tony has had a week to think about tactics,which is pretty scary,bennett will no doubt have been in the managers office stating "i played well for 20 minutes boss,did you see that pass,boss,did you see me play well,that nyambe was pants,im`e a lot better,just give me another chance boss,i`ll mow your lawn if you start me on saturday"

That goal doesnt happen without Nyambe's inch perfect first time pass that took out about 3 players and gave Dack the opportunity to put Bennett in.

22 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Apart from dropping Bennett. 

And playing Rothwell. 

And dropping Gally. 

And playing Graham. 

And having Downing at left back. 

Armstrong actually being on the right wing. 

And having Evans instead of Holtby. 

Apart from that nothing changed. 

Also it sounds a bit of an antagonistic interview and not very endearing by TM whatsoever. 

I actually think he is a bit of a prick and the root of his own problems. Lots of supporters identified what needed doing weeks/months ago. He finally does it and voila, we win matches!

I would gladly see him upgraded as we are off the pace due to his pissing about. He'll do it again shortly and start experimenting when all we need is consistenvy - obviously when the pressure is off.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I actually think he is a bit of a prick and the root of his own problems. Lots of supporters identified what needed doing weeks/months ago. He finally does it and voila, we win matches!

I would gladly see him upgraded as we are off the pace due to his pissing about. He'll do it again shortly and start experimenting when all we need is consistenvy - obviously when the pressure is off.

I'd stop short of calling him a prick but he is annoying iv'e said a few times he's the most frustrating manager iv'e seen at Ewood. That's part compliment really because it's a fine line and he's trod both sides of it in different periods to be fair.

However imo he really really needs to be more first 11 and points focused than squad harmony and training pitch favouritism.  His main job in the eyes of the fans is to get points by using the best system and best 11 to fit that.  Everything else is second place to the punters and should be kept that way. I know it's part of the job but less welfare officer more sergeant major for me please.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'd stop short of calling him a prick but he is annoying iv'e said a few times he's the most frustrating manager iv'e seen at Ewood. That's part compliment really because it's a fine line and he's trod both sides of it in different periods to be fair.

However imo he really really needs to be more first 11 and points focused than squad harmony and training pitch favouritism.  His main job in the eyes of the fans is to get points by using the best system and best 11 to fit that.  Everything else is second place to the punters and should be kept that way. I know it's part of the job but less welfare officer more sergeant major for me please.

I did say a bit of a prick, not a complete one ?

He has really annoyed me too. I also hated the way that he pointed the finger of blame at the young players, rather than equally at himself.  He even started having a chew at the fans - who have been massively patient.  Personally, I can't bare to read his interviews anymore and I genuinely feel that a terrible run is just around the corner.  Hopefully I am wrong.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I did say a bit of a prick, not a complete one ?

He has really annoyed me too. I also hated the way that he pointed the finger of blame at the young players, rather than equally at himself.  He even started having a chew at the fans - who have been massively patient.  Personally, I can't bare to read his interviews anymore and I genuinely feel that a terrible run is just around the corner.  Hopefully I am wrong.

Spot on Pedro, pretty much my view on Mowbray as well. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Well I was an advocate of his removal recently as I thought it was difficult to see us going forward 

Since then he’s made big decisions and they’ve paid off in buckets, we look a real team again.

Well done Mowbray, long may this resurgence continue 

Ps stick with Nyambe he is the one 

• Like 6

Certainly deserves big credit - he was on the ropes not so long ago and fair play to him for turning it around. Fabulous run and it is clear that the players are still playing for him.

Please, please, please, stick with what is working.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 4

• Backroom

Credit of course goes to Mowbray for making the changes a lot of us had been asking for. He could have continued being stubborn but I think he sensed he was approaching the precipace with the fans and did what was necessary.

With that said I'm still cautious. Last January we went on a run of four wins on the spin after a string of poor results bringing us within touching distance of the playoffs, then went on a nosedive until April. We will obviously lose a match eventually but it's how we respond to that which will determine whether things have really changed.