BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

43 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

John Buckley... if we can find a position (possibly next to Travis) I think we may have someone with the range of passing not seen at Ewood since the days of the Turk..

Over to you Tony.

Today, I was ranting like a madman that in all the years Tugay was here, he never hit as many bad passes as our current numpties do in a match.  

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

Today, I was ranting like a madman that in all the years Tugay was here, he never hit as many bad passes as our current numpties do in a match.  

Most of them have invisible friends it seems.

Something someone said to me, you can have all the sports science, dieticians, masseurs, personal fitness coaches and drones you want but it's all a bit pointless if you have players that just can't pass to each other. You can improve a footballer but you can't build them from scratch.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Managers certainly change games and I firmly believe that in the Championship the approach taken by the manager is the difference. It’s such a tight division that belief can give you the momentum required - even with inferior players. In my view, Mowbray doesn’t have a coherent plan, not for matches anyway.

I can’t work out if the brains behind the new high tech Brockhall is Mowbray or Johnson but whomever it is, they need to be DoF planning for the long-term. Meanwhile, we need a manager who can get the best out of his squad by making a first team place something to be earned (and lost) through form rather than to try to give everyone game time.

You literally don't give players game time at any level above pub level (as in, when the players give up their free time and pay for the game themselves) 

Players competing for positions is one of the things that drives a team on. Players knowing they will be rotated regardless of performance (either good or bad) isn't a great way to operate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pedro said:

Agreed - the lack of technique is stark at times, notable mentions for Nyambe, Williams, Armstrong and Bell, combined with Lenihan seemingly more “dodgy” without the two footed quick thinking Tosin around.

However Buckley showed glimpses of exceptional passing - particularly the clipped ball over to Gallagher and other through balls in the channels. Buckley did make a few mistakes though, taking too long on the ball or other decision making aspects I think will get better.

Certainly has the technique and the feet to contribute in some way, probably not wide left!

32 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Agreed - the lack of technique is stark at times, notable mentions for Nyambe, Williams, Armstrong and Bell, combined with Lenihan seemingly more “dodgy” without the two footed quick thinking Tosin around.

However Buckley showed glimpses of exceptional passing - particularly the clipped ball over to Gallagher and other through balls in the channels. Buckley did make a few mistakes though, taking too long on the ball or other decision making aspects I think will get better.

Certainly has the technique and the feet to contribute in some way, probably not wide left!

I agree with Buckley, he needs a decent run of games. As I mentioned in another thread, his style of play reminds me very much of Scot Sellars.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenrover said:

I agree with Buckley, he needs a decent run of games. As I mentioned in another thread, his style of play reminds me very much of Scot Sellars.

if he`s half as effective as scott then i`ll have no complaints just hope he avoids the mowbray curse of not taking it seriously enough,we should have a bloody fantastic u23 side with all the lack of seriousness in it!!!!

• Like 1

On 27/12/2019 at 15:29, darrenrover said:

Buckley was an absolute star in the under 23s. He has lovely technique and could probably play anywhere. He needs a good number of games in the first team to really put a marker down. He isn't particularly quick but has similar pace to the likes of Dack ,  Brotherston or Sellars whereby he can accelerate and body swerve well. 

He reminds me more of Simon Barker in style than anyone else for those that remember Barker. He is certainly on the frail side but so was Sellars. From footage I have seen, Bryan Douglas also seemed frail but was obviously a genuine superstar in a brutally physical era. (Not that I expect him to have the career that Duggie had obviously ).

Buckley can be the real deal if Mowbray is prepared to persevere and allow mistakes by him.  

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Buckley was an absolute star in the under 23s. He has lovely technique and could probably play anywhere. He needs a good number of games in the first team to really put a marker down. He isn't particularly quick but has similar pace to the likes of Dack ,  Brotherston or Sellars whereby he can accelerate and body swerve well. 

He reminds me more of Simon Barker in style than anyone else for those that remember Barker. He is certainly on the frail side but so was Sellars. From footage I have seen, Bryan Douglas also seemed frail but was obviously a genuine superstar in a brutally physical era. (Not that I expect him to have the career that Duggie had obviously ).

Buckley can be the real deal if Mowbray is prepared to persevere and allow mistakes by him.  

If Mowbray did that and results suffered as a result the haters would be out in force on here demanding he got the sack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If Mowbray did that and results suffered as a result the haters would be out in force on here demanding he got the sack

Yeah, strangely if Buckleys regular inclusion in the team led to poorer results, people, or as you would like to state in your intention to wind folk up, "haters" would indeed criticise the manager as a result, heaven forbid the manager is judged based on results.

• Like 5

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yeah, strangely if Buckleys regular inclusion in the team led to poorer results, people, or as you would like to state in your intention to wind folk up, "haters" would indeed criticise the manager as a result, heaven forbid the manager is judged based on results.

Yes, and results is why so many managers are careful, or reluctant, to bring young players in to the first team. If they don't, then of course they receive criticism for that as well. I'm not trying to wind anybody up - if you think those who have labelled Tony Mowbray a "coward" or "not a nice person" are not haters how would you describe them ?

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, and results is why so many managers are careful, or reluctant, to bring young players in to the first team. If they don't, then of course they receive criticism for that as well. I'm not trying to wind anybody up - if you think those who have labelled Tony Mowbray a "coward" or "not a nice person" are not haters how would you describe them ?

If Buckley or indeed any of the other young players can come into the first team and enhance and add to it, without causing any decline in results, then by all means get them in. If not, then considering that we are 8th, not far off 6th and quite focused on the aim of reaching the play offs, making each point important, then we cant afford to blood him. If that is the case, then the 2 alternatives are to play him in the reserves, or loan him out. As I personally havent seen anything to suggest from him that he is ready yet to enhance the first team at this moment in time, I would loan him out.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Buckley or indeed any of the other young players can come into the first team and enhance and add to it, without causing any decline in results, then by all means get them in. If not, then considering that we are 8th, not far off 6th and quite focused on the aim of reaching the play offs, making each point important, then we cant afford to blood him. If that is the case, then the 2 alternatives are to play him in the reserves, or loan him out. As I personally havent seen anything to suggest from him that he is ready yet to enhance the first team at this moment in time, I would loan him out.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that. Of course we can't be sure how things will work out unless he gets to play; he's marginal at the moment as to whether he's a plus or a minus for the first team .

Of all the gripes about Mowbray, IMO the only one that was ever going to resonate in Pune - especially now Dack is crocked and has effectively zero transfer value - is the impact of his 3 big money buys: Brereton, Gallagher and Armstrong, which I always thought would define his season. With Dack gone and Graham no more of a goal threat than me, he simply cannot afford not to grasp the nettle. I think the situation necessitates betting what is left of his Rovers career, and our season, on any two from those three firing in a 4-4-2 formation. If he doesn’t, or if it doesn’t work, I’m convinced he’ll be canned early May.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The owners way of doing things and, based on some posters on here, some supporters' unrealistic expectations.

You'll find those supporters at every club. It might surprise you but there are far more demanding crowds and fanbases even in the championship that Rovers.

On the owners yes it's hard work but again there other boards who put far more pressure on their managers. We haven't really got one.

Plus he's had the best backing of anyone under them post Kean and basically appears to run the football side of the club behind the scenes..Also when a manger at this level spends fees of 5 or 7 million on single players fans have a right to expect them to be half decent in my opinion.

Sorry but there is no sob story to be had for Mowbray the guy is on a very good number here. He knows it as well.

• Like 7

Is there anyone - anyone at all above Mowbray at the club who understands absolutely anything about football? My wager is no, because why else is Mowbray employed. I believe we would actually be better with no manager as I don't believe the players collectively would ever agree to Bennett starting at RB or any of the other stubborn stupid nonsense that keeps costing us points.

We are at the mercy of whoever is running this club but there seems to be nothing but pure incompetence at every level.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

Is there anyone - anyone at all above Mowbray at the club who understands absolutely anything about football? My wager is no, because why else is Mowbray employed. I believe we would actually be better with no manager as I don't believe the players collectively would ever agree to Bennett starting at RB or any of the other stubborn stupid nonsense that keeps costing us points.

We are at the mercy of whoever is running this club but there seems to be nothing but pure incompetence at every level.

No manager would be cheaper too. Does anyone know how to contact The $tingies?