BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So Mowbray was just telling bare faced lies when he told the fans "defenders are coming"?

If he is being stopped from spending money on defenders than why make such a statement?

Not sure of the date he said that but Tosin and Cunningham did come; is it really necessary to use an aggressive phrase like bare faced lies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Its entirely possible rather than pretty likely isn't ? We have no evidence.

But it looks bad for him either way.

Yes entirely possible (you must have been a fan of the late John Oaksey on Channel 4 Racing to be keen on that phrase) is a way of describing it. The evidence is in the club's transfer record.

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes entirely possible (you must have been a fan of the late John Oaksey on Channel 4 Racing to be keen on that phrase) is a way of describing it. The evidence is in the club's transfer record.

Mowbray had a budget and he chose to spend the majority of it on Sam Gallagher.

We have terrible owners that can't be disputed but since Mowbray has been at the helm he has been backed.

He hasn't had to sell any of our better players and has spent close to 15 million on Gallagher,brererton and Armstrong.

Downing, Johnson and Holtby will be on decent money or will have got significant signing on fees certainly in the case of Johnson (who had a year left on a lucrative deal at Derby) and no way would Holtby have been coming here if our deal in terms of pay wasn't attractive.

The manager has spent badly and it's too easy just to throw the blame at our owners door with statements like the manager is being told he can't bring in defenders.

• Like 4

Just now, islander200 said:

Mowbray had a budget and he chose to spend the majority of it on Sam Gallagher.

We have terrible owners that can't be disputed but since Mowbray has been at the helm he has been backed.

He hasn't had to sell any of our better players and has spent close to 15 million on Gallagher,brererton and Armstrong.

Downing, Johnson and Holtby will be on decent money or will have got significant signing on fees certainly in the case of Johnson (who had a year left on a lucrative deal at Derby) and no way would Holtby have been coming here if our deal in terms of pay wasn't attractive.

The manager has spent badly and it's too easy just to throw the blame at our owners door with statements like the manager is being told he can't bring in defenders.

Was it at the manager's instigation that Brereton was signed ? Some of us think not.

Your post backs up the point that I was making. All the players that you refer to who on whom a significant financial commitment is made are forwards and midfielders. The evidence points to a club policy that the manager - be it Tony Mowbray or anyone else - has to play around in the bargain basement for defenders and goalkeepers even if their professional judgement is that we would fare better with a more even handed approach.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Was it at the manager's instigation that Brereton was signed ? Some of us think not.

Your post backs up the point that I was making. All the players that you refer to who on whom a significant financial commitment is made are forwards and midfielders. The evidence points to a club policy that the manager - be it Tony Mowbray or anyone else - has to play around in the bargain basement for defenders and goalkeepers even if their professional judgement is that we would fare better with a more even handed approach.

Well if true that he can't sign defenders then Mowbray isn't the man of honesty and integrity I thought he was.

Mowbrays comments on brererton at the time he was signed suggested he was his signing.The same when he said defenders are coming.So basically you saying Mowbray is a liar and is only here for the money?

No man of integrity,no man of honour would work under such conditions and if Mowbray is working under those conditions and lieing to the fans then he is no better than Kean or Coyle in my opinion.

My take on it is he has just spent the money badly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well if true that he can't sign defenders then Mowbray isn't the man of honesty and integrity I thought he was.

Mowbrays comments on brererton at the time he was signed suggested he was his signing.The same when he said defenders are coming.So basically you saying Mowbray is a liar and is only here for the money?

No man of integrity,no man of honour would work under such conditions and if Mowbray is working under those conditions and lieing to the fans then he is no better than Kean or Coyle in my opinion.

My take on it is he has just spent the money badly.

I don't like the word "liar" because I think all football managers will be diplomatic over certain things that they say in public. However I do think you rightly point to one issue at the club, namely that there will be plenty of managers who would not be attracted to the job here when the owners create such difficult working conditions - that was why Lambert walked.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't like the word "liar" because I think all football managers will be diplomatic over certain things that they say in public. However I do think you rightly point to one issue at the club, namely that there will be plenty of managers who would not be attracted to the job here when the owners create such difficult working conditions - that was why Lambert walked.

I'm not continuing the conversation with you because to you Mowbray does no wrong, it's all our owners fault.

Next you will be telling me he is under instructions from the owners to play Bennett at right back.That it's the owners decision to hardly ever play the same side.

I was under the impression that lambert walked as the owners went back on a promise of serious cash being made available for transfers?

Or do you know different?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm not continuing the conversation with you because to you Mowbray does no wrong, it's all our owners fault.

Next you will be telling me he is under instructions from the owners to play Bennett at right back.That it's the owners decision to hardly ever play the same side.

I was under the impression that lambert walked as the owners went back on a promise of serious cash being made available for transfers?

Or do you know different?

It is certainly not the case that I think Mowbray does no wrong. I have described him as an average manager at Championship level; in his time with us he has a points per game return in this division of just under 1.36 a game which over a season would be about 62 points normally around 13th or so in the league. I agree with you and others that the constant tinkering in team selection does not help; Bennett seems to be at right back now because Nyambe has not been available.

You may well be right about Lambert; I would say working for people who don't keep their promises can fairly be described as difficult working conditions.

49 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Ignoring the smarmy nature of your reply to my politely-made point, there is no evidence in the in the club's transfer record that can help you! The evidence shows that his transfer record is poor and that he was quite likely to have wasted a lot of cash on a lemon, given the chance.

But, if he was leaned on by the owners and has allowed them to usurp his managerial authority, then he doesn't come out of it that well either does he? Integrity eh?

I note you ignored that point.

No hint of pressure on him I see. Venkys have no plans for promotion or long term sustainability, they are probably trying to find an escape plan to get rid of us without losing too much more money. 

Mowbray would rightfully be gone from any club with ambitions, but his place is secure here.

41 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The evidence is that he chooses to buy as many mid-fielders as he can get his hands on and ignore the defence.

• Like 4

Mowbray lined up Bauer for a long time then straight from his own mouth told people his agent was asking 40/50k per week.  He then went after Downing on a 1 year deal, Downing who was on 30k plus at Boro.

Bauer signed a 4 year deal at North End whose max pay is said to be 10-15k pwk, they gave him a large signing on fee.

I suppose all that is someone else's call as well ?

Or the player himself wasn't impressed with what the Blackburn manager and his assistants pitched to him ?

Either way we missed out on a decent defender purchase something we desperately needed, one with potential resale as well.   This is on Mowbrays watch and has his name to it.

If he wanted a decent defender he could have got one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ignoring the smarmy nature of your reply to my politely-made point, there is no evidence in the in the club's transfer record that can help you! The evidence shows that his transfer record is poor and that he was quite likely to have wasted a lot of cash on a lemon, given the chance.

But, if he was leaned on by the owners and has allowed them to usurp his managerial authority, then he doesn't come out of it that well either does he? Integrity eh?

I note you ignored that point.

It wasn't smarmy; I liked Oaksey and intended the reference to come over as a friendly gesture. I think if you look at where the money has been spent in the transfer market over the last seven years it is overwhelmingly on forwards and midfielders and very little on defence.

I think the reality is that the only managers that will be appointed or at least stay at the club for any length of time are those who are prepared to be leaned on by the owners.

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It is certainly not the case that I think Mowbray does no wrong. I have described him as an average manager at Championship level; in his time with us he has a points per game return in this division of just under 1.36 a game which over a season would be about 62 points normally around 13th or so in the league. I agree with you and others that the constant tinkering in team selection does not help; Bennett seems to be at right back now because Nyambe has not been available.

You may well be right about Lambert; I would say working for people who don't keep their promises can fairly be described as difficult working conditions.

One more point if the owners are indeed blocking Mowbray from spending on the defence then it seem's very odd that they would sanction a 1 million loan fee and whatever percentage we have to pay toward Tosin's wage

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray lined up Bauer for a long time then straight from his own mouth told people his agent was asking 40/50k per week.  He then went after Downing on a 1 year deal, Downing who was on 30k plus at Boro.

Bauer signed a 4 year deal at North End whose max pay is said to be 10-15k pwk, they gave him a large signing on fee.

I suppose all that is someone else's call as well ?

Or the player himself wasn't impressed with what the Blackburn manager and his assistants pitched to him ?

Either way we missed out on a decent defender purchase something we desperately needed, one with potential resale as well.   This is on Mowbrays watch and has his name to it.

If he wanted a decent defender he could have got one.

I've no idea what went on with Bauer. Is he that good ? Preston have conceded just 2 goals less than us this season. We'll get some idea on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think the reality is that the only managers that will be appointed or at least stay at the club for any length of time are those who are prepared to be leaned on by the owners.

I  don't agree with this.In this game money talks,if our owners promised a prospective new manager the same financial backing as Mowbray has had and a lucrative wage I think there would be a long list of managers who would come here

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Where is the evidence for this £1m loan fee ?

The same place as your evidence that the manager is being told who he can and can't buy.

It's been highly speculated that we paid a 1 million fee and we would have had to pay something or do you think City just gave him us for nothing?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Where is the evidence for this £1m loan fee ?

The same place as the evidence he's not allowed to spend money on the defence, it' doesn't exist and the poster is making an assumption.

There would have been a loan fee of some sort for Tosin though, regardless of the amount.

Edit: Islander beat me to it

Edited by RevidgeBlue

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I've no idea what went on with Bauer. Is he that good ? Preston have conceded just 2 goals less than us this season. We'll get some idea on Saturday.

He's decent enough i didn't know that he covered all North Ends back four and goal as well in order to be held responsible for their entire goals conceded column.

Besides he's been injured which is irrelevant to what went on in summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The same place as your evidence that the manager is being told who he can and can't buy.

It's been highly speculated that we paid a 1 million fee and we would have had to pay something or do you think City just gave him us for nothing?

No I don't think he came here for nothing. My evidence regarding the club's transfer dealings is based on the incomings that have actually incurred over the last 7 years. Incidentally I also have a theory that there are rules laid down by the owners regarding the acceptable age of players for whom transfer fees are paid and may bore you all rigid by posting about that as well.