BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

It's the absolute irony of some of these columnist's that gets me. It's like they think they are exempt from the criticism they constantly throw at other forums and members etc whilst coming out with their own brand of skepticism / theories and gaffer/player bashing on a regular basis. 

What places them on their lofty self appointed perches ?

Absolutely sweet FA.

• Like 1

I've been critical of Mowbray over the last 18 months but if we can continue to push the playoffs with the amount of injuries we have whilst bringing through some of the younger lads then I don't think anyone can have any complaints.

I do stand by some of the criticism from earlier in the season though. It took until December was it? to get Nyambe as a permanent fixture at right back despite him clearly being better than Bennett. Gallagher on the right wing doesn't work. Gallagher and Brereton haven't proven to be good signings as of yet. We needed a better back up keeper earlier in the season. Some weird team selections and substitutions such as dropping Travis for the PNE game and not making any substitutions until we were 3-2 down. I also think he's left himself a lot to do in the summer to get this side to go again.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's the absolute irony of some of these columnist's that gets me. It's like they think they are exempt from the criticism they constantly throw at other forums and members etc whilst coming out with their own brand of skepticism / theories and gaffer/player bashing on a regular basis. 

What places them on their lofty self appointed perches ?

Absolutely sweet FA.

Some of them are egotistical and can hide behind a keyboard whilst taking some moral high ground. And if an earlier post about him not going is correct the irony of him not contributing anything to the running of the club is clearly lost on him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He’d never had made the anniversary if it was up to you... you wanted him sacked a couple of months ago!

You like digging don't you Matty recently. You like and other posters like posting this rubbish but I'm always explained why I changed my view. At least it gives you something to moan at certain posters at

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

"As supporters we sit behind our radio phone ins and keyboards en masse with an amazing level of misplaced confidence and grand delusions that we could do a better job than the actual professionals." - Is that true? Dont think anyone has said that.

Mikey does have a point tbf. plenty on here disagree with Mowbray. You said we wouldn't stand any chance or challenge for playoffs without Dack whilst I disagree cos we could move Armstrong up front and use his pace and movement more centre plus his finishing attitude. Now we are 8th in the league.  

Hit a nerve, obviously.

You’ve got a brass neck sagely ‘hear hear’-ing an article that talks about keyboard managers not appreciating the job he’s done, building a club over 3 years and wanting him sacked- when that was literally you two months ago!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You like digging don't you Matty recently. You like and other posters like posting this rubbish but I'm always explained why I changed my view. At least it gives you something to moan at certain posters at

Mikey does have a point tbf. plenty on here disagree with Mowbray. You said we wouldn't stand any chance or challenge for playoffs without Dack whilst I disagree cos we could move Armstrong up front and use his pace and movement more centre plus his finishing attitude. Now we are 8th in the league.  

You can disagree with him without thinking or stating that you could do a better job yourself, something that I have not seen people say.

I still dont think that we will meet our aim of a top 6 finish, and we have not been in yet, but I wouldnt sack him and am happy with him in charge because there are mitigating circumstances and there has been progress made. But that is all irrelevant to the point I was making from that article that suggested that people think they could do a better job themselves. Who has said that?

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Hit a nerve, obviously.

You’ve got a brass neck agreeing with an article that talks about keyboard managers not appreciating the job he’s done and wanting him sacked- when that was literally you two months ago!

sadly not Matty. would take alot more than those comments. Made of thick skin

I've always appreciated the job he did in every season he been here. Back him after we got relegation which I blame Coyle for that. He got us promotion from League 1 even those some posters on here wanted rid of him after 10 games cos we weren't where people thought we should be. Back him last season when he got his contract extension when others didn't. Yes when we were 17th in league this season I felt a change was needed but he turn around results and has us 3 points of playoffs. We are 8th in the league now. 

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You can disagree with him without thinking or stating that you could do a better job yourself, something that I have not seen people say.

I still dont think that we will meet our aim of a top 6 finish, and we have not been in yet, but I wouldnt sack him and am happy with him in charge because there are mitigating circumstances and there has been progress made. But that is all irrelevant to the point I was making from that article that suggested that people think they could do a better job themselves. Who has said that?

I'm not interested whether we been in or not top 6 so far. As long as we by end of the Luton away game! Sheff Wed were top 6 not long ago. now nowhere near. 

Yes you are very correct that progress is being made through playing less direct and more short passing, movement and flexible. Some good youngsters coming through and the club is in better shape now. 

I've heard people within Ewood Park saying those things Mikey has reported. And Mikey must have seen them on different media sites. But you need to ask Mikey on twitter and let him share them with yourself

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Some appreciation!

Bravo Matty. are we 17th? nope. we are 8th and good chance of making the playoffs? Correct. Team going in the right direction

Well obviously you don’t want him out now! But you didn’t have much loyalty to him and appreciate the job he’s doing just two months ago

Lets hope we don’t go on another bad run, as your pitchfork will be back out!

Fickle.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Well obviously you don’t want him out now! 

Fickle.

Of course there is nothing wrong with changing your stance on the managers future, but be flexible with it. Its not healthy to either defend against all logic or deflect and ignore genuine and valid criticisms. I personally wanted Mowbray out earlier in the season, now I am happy with him in charge, but from both positions I could see both positives and negatives. 

No one has said that they can do a better job as manager either but stuff like that as you pointed out earlier is lapped up and taken as fact. There is an exception or two in terms of people unwilling to give Mowbray any credit no matter what just as there are one or two who refuse to criticise no matter what but they are as I said the exceptions yet the amount of crowing and smugness since we won on Saturday has been totally bizarre.

• Like 6

• Backroom

TM is at his best when his back is against the wall. Given license to overthink he muddies things, but when it has to be simple and lineup choices are limited he tends to produce good results. Our best runs of the season so far have been when injuries have largely necessitated a basic and practical approach. Unfortunate that it has to be this way as there's definitely a decent manager there in Mowbray, he's just prone to clouding his thoughts by trying to be too smart for his own good when given multiple options to pick from.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely. We all criticise whatever PM is in power from time to time and sometimes say they're useless and somebody else should take over.

Does that mean any of us want the job or think we are remotely capable of doing it? Course not!

Similarly with football managers which is a way easier job by the way!

• Like 2

Tony's natural caution will show through at Brentford. He'll be worrying about how good they are and set up his team accordingly. As a result, the mindset of the player is likely to be wrong too - the complete opposite of the positive attitude they showed at Charlton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Well obviously you don’t want him out now! But you didn’t have much loyalty to him and appreciate the job he’s doing just two months ago

Fickle.

I suppose you can want the man out and still appreciate all the work he’s done. It would have been with a heavy heart I’d have seen him gone but there’s been twice now where I’ve resigned to the fact we need a change. 

One, though, was totally reactionary to our terrible start in League 1 and I dare anyone to say they kept faith with him during that. 

Tony has this club in a better place now and, if we didn’t win a game until the end of the season, I’d be in the camp of saying goodbye but I’d also have tremendous appreciation for all he has done for this club. As someone who doesn’t live local anymore our reputation has grown massively since he’s came, to the point where someone actually said to me today “you have turned a corner and look to be on the way back, it’ll be good to see you back in the Prem”. I had to remind him we were some way off ever being close to what we were but it was nice to see that our stock has risen. He spoke more about how we seem to be operating normally and getting the right players in etc etc, it wasn’t just based on our league position. 

• Like 2

All fair points Dreams. But I just can’t be doing with the hypocrisy of certain posters who now laud the man as transformative for the club and act as if they’ve been bought in to the ‘project’, ‘the journey’, ‘the progression’ for 3 years, when they wanted him gone literally weeks ago.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

All fair points Dreams. But I just can’t be doing with the hypocrisy of certain posters who now laud the man as transformative for the club and act as if they’ve been bought in to the ‘project’, ‘the journey’, ‘the progression’ for 3 years, when they wanted him gone literally weeks ago.

but there is other posters who wanted him out when we were 17th in the league but now have change their mind but you don't single them out tho. 

after 16 games this season we were 18th in the league. Now after 33 games we are 8th in the league. In the last 17 games we have got 32 points and top of the form table with that selected games. Very similar to the time when people wanted Mowbray after 10 games in league 1 before we earned promotion that season. 

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

but there is other posters who wanted him out when we were 17th in the league but now have change their mind but you don't single them out tho. 

You have a long history though Chaddy, people remember. Coyle for one example.

I can’t say that many fans were excited when the ex-manager of ten losses in a row 4th Div Coventry walked through the door, or when we still went down (although to put it at his door after 30 points from 32 games Coyle is extremely harsh).

From that point on however, would many of us have EXPECTED to be higher than we are right now? 

I do understand the “not the man to take us further” point, although sacking someone for what he may or may not do in the future is not a standard many of us would accept if it was applied to us in our own workplaces.

But hey ho, given the owners didn’t sack Kean for raping and pillaging the club, I think there is zero chance they will sack Mowbray for some hypothetical future failure. There is no clock, ticking or otherwise.

Lastly, I don’t know Chaddy, but cannot for the life of me understand the mass obsession with what he thinks, or thought, or both. Strange world.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I can’t say that many fans were excited when the ex-manager of ten losses in a row 4th Div Coventry walked through the door, or when we still went down (although to put it at his door after 30 points from 32 games Coyle is extremely harsh).

From that point on however, would many of us have EXPECTED to be higher than we are right now? 

I do understand the “not the man to take us further” point, although sacking someone for what he may or may not do in the future is not a standard many of us would accept if it was applied to us in our own workplaces.

But hey ho, given the owners didn’t sack Kean for raping and pillaging the club, I think there is zero chance they will sack Mowbray for some hypothetical future failure. There is no clock, ticking or otherwise.

Lastly, I don’t know Chaddy, but cannot for the life of me understand the mass obsession with what he thinks, or thought, or both. Strange world.

BLASPHEMY. How dare you show such disregard towards the man who makes us all log in to this messageboard everyday to see what way he’s thinking today compared to yesterday. Chaddy is the messiah, hence the obsession. I would let Chaddy do things to my girlfriend, I would give Chaddy the last custard cream in the packet, It’s not a strange world, it’s Chaddys world and we are all just living in it. 

• Like 2