BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

People have been saying that "they write it off as tax" and other such theories for a while now. Yet, I have seen no detailed explanation on this. Is it that simple? I mean they have a  lost a fortune and I don't think any creative accounting can offset that fully 

You'd think so BDS ..…...like I said a whole separate topic and probably not really right under the Mowbray Out heading!!!   Apologies Mods!!!

But don't let me stop you starting another one dedicated to that subject......not that any of us will have anything other than loads of conspiracy theories.

55 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I wonder if Deloitte gave them a get out plan as part of the piece of work they did for them. Surely at some point they can't keep losing money on us?

From what I have read on another article Deloitte and the other firm of accountants that came in, did so, as there was money going missing that couldn't be explained. It seems that their forensic accountancy work, found out what the problem was and sorted it. 

• Like 2

Rovers have plateaued under Mowbray. He's going through the motions and will never take us up. I think we either need a progressive manager who can make the most of our young, attacking players, or a Pulis/Warnock type who knows how to do it by the numbers. Mowbray is just another yesterday's man. The fact our glaring defensive problems STILL haven't been addressed is inexcusable.

• Like 2

Here’s the thing that I think gets missed in these discussion, the constant references to “we”: what “we” need, who “we” should get etc.

There is no we. There is us, the fans, and them, the owners. Owners who never once have shown any regard to the fans, never once made the right decision at the right time, never once recruited a manager either worthy of the role or capable/empowered to take us anywhere.

I see Mowbray as a reincarnation of Bobby Saxton: well meaning, committed, passionate, but too loyal to certain players, not a great finder of talent, and tactically limited. We all wanted Saxton out sooner or later, but history has shown he did a better job than was thought at the time by his dealing well with some existential off-field issues.

I suspect history may say the same about Mowbray when the Venky regime is over, should we ever again be in the hands of owners who care about the club AND the fans.

• Like 8

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Here’s the thing that I think gets missed in these discussion, the constant references to “we”: what “we” need, who “we” should get etc.

There is no we. There is us, the fans, and them, the owners. Owners who never once have shown any regard to the fans, never once made the right decision at the right time, never once recruited a manager either worthy of the role or capable/empowered to take us anywhere.

I see Mowbray as a reincarnation of Bobby Saxton: well meaning, committed, passionate, but too loyal to certain players, not a great finder of talent, and tactically limited. We all wanted Saxton out sooner or later, but history has shown he did a better job than was thought at the time by his dealing well with some existential off-field issues.

I suspect history may say the same about Mowbray when the Venky regime is over, should we ever again be in the hands of owners who care about the club AND the fans.

I can see the similarities, but Mowbray has had relative riches to spend compared to Saxton, who really did have to beg, steal and borrow.

So nearly led us to promotion to the old First Division in 1985, under those circumstances.

I don't see Mowbray getting us anywhere near the Premier League.

Just now, martonrover said:

I can see the similarities, but Mowbray has had relative riches to spend compared to Saxton, who really did have to beg, steal and borrow.

So nearly led us to promotion to the old First Division in 1985, under those circumstances.

I don't see Mowbray getting us anywhere near the Premier League.

On the other hand, he inherited Kendall’s team that missed out on promotion on goal diff. Not sure how well he’d have done taking over from Iley, previously our most-hated manager before Coyle.

But I do agree, the money Mowbray has spent on forwards will define the length of his reign, one way or the other.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

If I posted my opinion on that I would get banned again and probably deserve it.

Suffice to say Mowbray is certifiable.

Who tells him what to say at these pressers. If no one, then someone should be. Surely he should say something along the lines of, The captain will be picked on merit.  

26 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Absolutely and is why it pisses me off when Mowbray and Waggott publically bend over for the Pune trash.

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

Who tells him what to say at these pressers. If no one, then someone should be. Surely he should say something along the lines of, The captain will be picked on merit.  

If he did that it would disqualify his besty Pal.

Bennett as Captain is the only way Mowbray can keep Bennett in HIS team.

On the other hand, he inherited Kendall’s team that missed out on promotion on goal diff. Not sure how well he’d have done taking over from Iley, previously our most-hated manager before Coyle.

But I do agree, the money Mowbray has spent on forwards will define the length of his reign, one way or the other.

Think you have missed one between Iley and Coyle!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lraC said:

From what I have read on another article Deloitte and the other firm of accountants that came in, did so, as there was money going missing that couldn't be explained. It seems that their forensic accountancy work, found out what the problem was and sorted it. 

Should have got them in years ago if that was the case

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Bennett captain... 

Absolute disgrace.. rose tinted glasses... favouritism never ever works.. 

I'm seriously done!!! 

?????

I would have gone with either Lenihan or Johnson myself but it’s not difficult to see why he would choose Bennett.

Bit of an overreaction to throw the toys out of the pram on this issue if you ask me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

People have been saying that "they write it off as tax" and other such theories for a while now. Yet, I have seen no detailed explanation on this. Is it that simple? I mean they have a lost a fortune and I don't think any creative accounting can offset that fully 

There's a few ways it could be done but in the simplest way of looking at it VLL is an oversees subsidiary belonging to VH group in India.  VH group makes a few million profit every month whilst VLL needs propping up with a few million every month .  Otherwise they'd have to find something else to do with that money or pay tax on it, not saying that is actually the case but it's a reasonable assumption and a theory put about by better qualified people as part of the set of reasons they got involved.

Nobody really knows probably not even them but i bet there's a few in India tasked with running it and a go between earning a good wage out of it as well

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

There's a few ways it could be done but in the simplest way of looking at it VLL is an oversees subsidiary belonging to VH group in India.  VH group makes a few million profit every month whilst VLL needs propping up with a few million every month .  Otherwise they'd have to find something else to do with that money or pay tax on it, not saying that is actually the case but it's a reasonable assumption and a theory put about by better qualified people as part of the set of reasons they got involved.

Nobody really knows probably not even them but i bet there's a few in India tasks with running it and a go between earning a good wage out of it as well

Offsetting losses in one area against profits in another only saves you the tax you would’ve paid on a sum equal to the losses. At best it’d save them 1/3rd of the losses. Better than nothing but not a money-making strategy. 

• Like 1

Offsetting losses in one area against profits in another only saves you the tax you would’ve paid on a sum equal to the losses. At best it’d save them 1/3rd of the losses. Better than nothing but not a money-making strategy. 

But i don't think it is a money making strategy so that wouldn't be priority it's more just something to do or whatever their motives, owning a little bit of England probably.  Don't forget they've met the Queen on the back of it and if their little ego trip/business advertising tool saves them a bit of tax all well and good i'd say.

Probably either a lot more complex than that or what some would believe there's no thought to it all they just got involved decided it was fun and continue to just wing it because they can afford to.

It's one of the biggest mysteries in the modern world.

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But i don't think it is a money making strategy so that wouldn't be priority it's more just something to do or whatever their motives, owning a little bit of England probably.  Don't forget they've met the Queen on the back of it and if their little ego trip/business advertising tool saves them a bit of tax all well and good i'd say.

Probably either a lot more complex than that or what some would believe there's no thought to it all they just got involved decided it was fun and continue to just wing it because they can afford to.

It's one of the biggest mysteries in the modern world.

Or they are so rich, and getting richer, it matters a lot less to them than the not wanting to admit failure.

• Like 2

• Backroom

The thing that bothers me about Bennett being named club captain is that it almost guarantees he's going to start regularly, which means Nyambe might as well paint his name over one of the seats on the bench. 

• Like 3

Knew it he was going to go with Bennett ... really out of touch our manager is and he’s getting very bitchy with each game that goes by .. we will learn and go onto the next one as he likes to keep saying ...I see no light and with each decision he makes gets worse and worse ... please get Rid of him before it’s too late ... 

• Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

The thing that bothers me about Bennett being named club captain is that it almost guarantees he's going to start regularly, which means Nyambe might as well paint his name over one of the seats on the bench. 

2 to 3 million sale with add ons in Jan iv'e been expecting it since last season when he was bizarrely frozen out.  They smell an outgoing fee here and think they can cope without him.

Just now, unleaded said:

Knew it he was going to go with Bennett ... really out of touch our manager is and he’s getting very bitchy with each game that goes by .. we will learn and go onto the next one as he likes to keep saying ...I see no light and with each decision he makes gets worse and worse ... please get Rid of him before it’s too late ... 

It’s really interesting when posters like your good self lose patience.

Kind of tells it’s own story.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

2 to 3 million sale with add ons in Jan iv'e been expecting it since last season when he was bizarrely frozen out.  They smell an outgoing fee here and think they can cope without him.

Yeah unfortunately I think Nyambe's days here are numbered. Right now he's backup RB to Bennett (which is pretty insulting imo) and backup CB to Tosin & Williams, then further down the pecking order when Lenihan returns.