BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

34 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Tony is god in their eyes apparently, if he wanted a few million for a defender or keeper he'd have got it. The end.

As for Tosin well you've just fallen into the trap we are discussing the merits of loans, stop gaps and constantly upsetting the back line versus investing in it in our own players building a platform and looking longer term.

One is stability and building, the other is putting plasters over holes that won't heal themselves.

I don’t think it’s ideal to have more than one loan signing in the defensive unit but If I was offered Walton, Cunningham and Tosin back for next season I’d snap their hands off! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No evidence that Tony is "god" - Venkys don't look at employees like that.

Skillful use of the loan system is part and parcel of successful management in this division.

"skilful use" is, dependency is not.

This mornings LT interview with TM stating that we are all set with attackers and will be looking for a full set of defenders to play / challenge.

Based on my conversation with TM at the supporters event we have ‘couple’ of European signings already agreed.

Id hope that we can sign Walton and Tosin back, plus a keeper and CB from Europe as natural successors. Cunningham as first choice LB and another European RB with potential.

Start the season with Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin and Cunningham ??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

This mornings LT interview with TM stating that we are all set with attackers and will be looking for a full set of defenders to play / challenge.

Based on my conversation with TM at the supporters event we have ‘couple’ of European signings already agreed.

Id hope that we can sign Walton and Tosin back, plus a keeper and CB from Europe as natural successors. Cunningham as first choice LB and another European RB with potential.

We are "all set with attackers" but  Brereton, Gallagher and Samuel are not good enough. 

• Like 2

Toisin will be 23 early next season. In the old days he’d be either looking to make a breakthrough in City’s team or moving on.

But in this age of loan fees and loan managers, you can see him having another season (and another and another) somewhere... though possibly a PL loan next time.

Edited by Mattyblue

What does "we are all set with attackers" mean ? He thinks our forwards are the best we can do and we don't need any more or any that are better? 

For a start, with Graham no longer first pick and ,Gallagher and Brereton's goal scoring record pitiful, we don't have a striker or natural No 9 who can put the ball in the net.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think it’s ideal to have more than one loan signing in the defensive unit but If I was offered Walton, Cunningham and Tosin back for next season I’d snap their hands off! 

And that's highly unlikely to happen so all change again.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Thinking off the top of my head here. But a couple of hundred grand for Bell aside, have we bought a keeper or defender for decent money in Venky’s time?

Couple of hundred grand on Derrick Williams. After selling Hanley and Duffy for £10 million.

34 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No evidence that Tony is "god" - Venkys don't look at employees like that.

Skillful use of the loan system is part and parcel of successful management in this division.

No they probably don't hero worship him like you do however we've been told they set the budget and more or less leave it down to him. So it's his call not this fallacy of they won't buy defenders.

Again purposely missing the point that isn't the issue here.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think it is highly unlikely that Tosin will be back here. Both he and City will have higher things in mind than another year in his prime at a club hoping to get into the top 6 in the 2nd division. 

I also think we will be lucky to hold on to both Nyambe and Lenihan given their progress. Just have to hope the Bank dont want the overdraft reducing.

All set with attackers - I hope not. I think major question marks hang over Brereton, Samuel and Rothwell. Graham finished at least in the managers eyes and Dack and Holtby long term career threatening injuries.

How can European signings be agreed? Does Mowbray even know his budget yet? I presume you are referring to free agents but they will not have signed pre contract agreements with us. Why would we do that when we dont know what division we will be in?

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think it is highly unlikely that Tosin will be back here. Both he and City will have higher things in mind than another year in his prime at a club hoping to get into the top 6 in the 2nd division. 

I also think we will be lucky to hold on to both Nyambe and Lenihan given their progress. Just have to hope the Bank dont want the overdraft reducing.

All set with attackers - I hope not. I think major question marks hang over Brereton, Samuel and Rothwell. Graham finished at least in the managers eyes and Dack and Holtby long term career threatening injuries.

How can European signings be agreed? Does Mowbray even know his budget yet? I presume you are referring to free agents but they will not have signed pre contract agreements with us. Why would we do that when we dont know what division we will be in?

He did openly say that they want Tosin back next year though it remains to be seen if the player or City will want to do that I guess.

I don’t think there’s anything to suggest we HAVE to sell, though a big bid for Lenihan or Nyambe would be hard to turn down. I think Travis is the one who will be getting noticed most though. Basically mom every match these days. 

I think we are pretty much all set in the attacking areas. Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Buckley, JRC, Butterworth plus Armstrong, Gallagher and Brereton have all been used as attacking midfielders both centrally and in wide areas. (We don’t play with wingers so it’s not worth mentioning). Gallagher and Arma as the striking options and I think we’ll give Graham another year. I take your point if you don’t think they’re good enough but the manager thinks they are and tbf I don’t think we struggle to create chances or score in general. You’d also expect to see improvement (based on age / potential) in most of that group.

I don’t know how those European deals can be agreed mate. He just said that we already had agreements on a couple of European players for the summer.

Edited by Paul Mani

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Couple of hundred grand on Derrick Williams. After selling Hanley and Duffy for £10 million.

Interestingly they (TM, SW and MC) all looked Genuinely bewildered at the suggestion that Venkys wouldn’t spend money on defenders....I think that can be filed in the ‘conspiracy theory’ drawer.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

We are "all set with attackers" but  Brereton, Gallagher and Samuel are not good enough. 

In his mind they are because he's signed them all.

The cold reality of it is we will be hanging our hat on Dack being fit and firing again whilst just hoping one of the mentioned suddenly steps up several gears. In other words a repeat of this season.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

And Mowbray had Gary Pallister alongside him who is a similar age. 

I'd personally risk it, as Nyambe is wasted at CB. However, it's not a like-for-like scenario to the one where we blooded Jones.

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

In his mind they are because he's signed them all.

The cold reality of it is we will be hanging our hat on Dack being fit and firing again whilst just hoping one of the mentioned suddenly steps up several gears. In other words a repeat of this season.

Yep, stick with what we've got next season and we'll end up in the same place, assuming the division isn't stronger. It's pretty weak this season which explains why we're challenging for the top 6 despite being a mediocre side.

Looking further into that comment from Mowbray suggests that there's no motivation to go for a play off place this season, even though we're only 3 points adrift of the top 6. He's just confirmed what we all think.

There should be 2 plans for signing players in the close season in our position; one if we were to go up and one if we didn't.

If our ambition is to go up, which it bloody well should be, it just confirms Mowbray is not the man. We'd much more ambition in the eighties when we couldn't pay the milk man.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Looking further into that comment from Mowbray suggests that there's no motivation to go for a play off place this season, even though we're only 3 points adrift of the top 6. He's just confirmed what we all think.

There should be 2 plans for signing players in the close season in our position; one if we were to go up and one if we didn't.

If our ambition is to go up, which it bloody well should be, it just confirms Mowbray is not the man. We'd much more ambition in the eighties when we couldn't pay the milk man.

He does make mention of “depending on which league we’re in”. Or something similar.

Edited by Paul Mani