BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

55 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If he was that good/clever he could and would earn a damn sight more than that. You credit him with far more than he possesses - he is what he is, a very limited manager. 

Play Bennett, Gallagher and Brereton often enough in the starting eleven and Mowbray will get the results he's after.

On the Brereton sending off.

It shows how little respect the opposition boss has for Mowbray for him getting Ben sent off like that.

Imagine being the opposition boss being the only one to shout for a player to be sent off and having Ferguson in the other dug out. Never happened.

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Anyone calling for Mowbray to go, please just remember one thing...

Any replacement will come from HSH (the reincarnation of SEM). 
Venkys have always and continue to only appoint managers from their “trusted advisors”

HSH represent Mowbray, Coyle and Lambert

HSH = Honeyman, Sheron, Horner

One former SEM director, 2 former SEM employees.

Do a quick google search on Sheron... see who he has worked with and what they got up to.

Lessons learned? Bollocks.

So you’re saying stick with a failing HSH because we might get a different one?

Hell, get the list of their clients up and let’s have a look!

At this point agents have ruined the game and they are all in bed with each other anyway.

• Like 1

Without doubt the most frustrating manager iv'e seen at Ewood, certainly not the worst far from it so some of the criticism is over the top. Constructively though he readily provides ammo for it he is his own worst enemy yet it would be no surprise to see us bounce back and trash Leeds.

Just the type of match the owners might take an interest in and watch so everything is rosy again in their world if so. You do ask yourself though just how he managed to get West Brom promoted. Some of his waffle is now in the coyle mould and some of the tactical messing around is straight out of Brian Kidds book of recurring confusions.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Saved from the scrap heap and in the blink of an eye plus relegation he's on a multi year contract having appointed his mate to be his boss. Paul Senior getting Allardyced very quickly.

God only knows what contract terms he wrote for himself.

I didn't want him when he rocked up, my posts will confirm this, and don't believe in his well rehearsed act.

Maybe the Vs are just stupid runts after all or they enjoy being shafted.

His comment on splashing funds on contract extensions far exceed Bowyer's rocks yet he's untouchable.

It's the hopelessness that get me.

• Like 2

Mowbray got WBA out of this division in similar fashion to how he got us out of League One. Inherited a recently relegated side, put his arm around players, made them feel wanted, signed a few good players with a good budget and the quality shone through and got them up.

In the Championship he doesn't have that quality here and doesn't have the budget to blow the rest of the division away. Ergo rather than change his approach to deal with this he just persists with his principles and experiments to the detriment of results.

The talk of him playing nice football that is easy on the eye is a myth in my experience. More often than not it is dull, disorganised and predictable. 

One of my biggest issues is that at 0-0 at HT at both Wigan and Barnsley Mowbray is incapable of going into the second half to preserve the clean sheet away from home and win the game 1-0. It just doesn't happen. You know the opposition will score, you know we will find a way to concede probably in the last 10 minutes.

We must be dream opposition for struggling clubs to play as we just can't deal with it. Pressure, expectation, just isn't something this team copes with.

Very, very disturbing that Mowbray's mate in the boardroom still thinks he's our version of Guardiola and we are lucky to have him here. Disturbing that the club has paid for a flag of the manager to be flown pre match. Mowbray has well and truly landed on his feet at Rovers with this setup. To think he missed out on the Chesterfield job shortly before coming in here. Even now we've fans saying we should be happy because we've finished higher each season under him (we havent done yet).

Nice bloke, done a lot of good but also left us a disorganized mess and this needs sorting with a manager who has a plan and focuses on results. Nobody at the club will think this because they aren't up to the job. Time for Big Mick and give him some of the cash Mowbray has squandered.

• Like 2

I have officially moved to the Mowbray-out camp. 

The tinkering with the side in the past two games and the baffling approach to tactics in must-win situations has just been too much for me.

We need someone new in this summer. It wont happen, but we need it. 

• Like 2

By the end of this season, Tony Mowbray will have managed Rovers for 170 games.

115 as a Championship club and 55 as a League One side. Including cup competitions.

His stand alone Championship record will stand at around 35% win rate or 1.3 points per game, which is just a shade better than Paul Lambert's 1.27 points per game.

I, along with many others I'm sure, felt the Lambert era was generally underwhelming, which is unfortunately what the Mowbray (Championship) era is becoming.

Now we are on target for our best points haul and finish since 2014/15 where we finished 9th with 67 points. (14/15 was the light blue kit year, the Liverpool FA Cup QF, Gestede and Rhodes both scoring 20+ goals) so its perhaps not as gloomy or as bad as it has been in recent years, but the disappointment is palpable.

2020/21 will be the season that either maintains or ends the Mowbray era.

I've always thought highly of TM as a person, his stories and passion for football, the town and the history of the club are there for all to see. I believe in his integrity and his genuine honest character (compared to a lot of managers) and would love to see him do well, there is however, a strong sense of apathy setting in, amongst the fanbase and the players, this is what concerns me the most.

The Premier League still feels a long way off, perhaps it always will.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

115 as a Championship club and 55 as a League One side. Including cup competitions.

His stand alone Championship record will stand at around 35% win rate or 1.3 points per game, which is just a shade better than Paul Lambert's 1.27 points per game.

I, along with many others I'm sure, felt the Lambert era was generally underwhelming, which is unfortunately what the Mowbray (Championship) era is becoming.

Now we are on target for our best points haul and finish since 2014/15 where we finished 9th with 67 points. (14/15 was the light blue kit year, the Liverpool FA Cup QF, Gestede and Rhodes both scoring 20+ goals) so its perhaps not as gloomy or as bad as it has been in recent years, but the disappointment is palpable.

I've always thought highly of TM as a person, his stories and passion for football, the town and the history of the club are there for all to see. I believe in his integrity and his genuine honest character (compared to a lot of managers) and would love to see him do well, there is however, a strong sense of apathy setting in, amongst the fanbase and the players, this is what concerns me the most.

being a competent championship side feels a long way off. 

The apathy factor would be ringing alarm bells at normal clubs.

A petered out season alongside a still circulating pandemic and an incoming serious recession tells me that ST sales will collapse  - many clubs had thousands signed up before lockdown for next season, so are relatively well buffered both in terms of cash flow and retained supporters, but as always we will be attempting to flog STs from a standing start, but with the added unprecedented external factors.

Yet does anyone at Ewood (or Pune) see this? Or even care?

• Like 1

I turned iFollow off on the 88th min. I think I can count on one hand the amount of games I haven't seen to the end in 20 years of supporting the club.

I just didn't care anymore, and that was a bit of a sad thought to be truthful.

I am firmly in rog of the rovers camp - excellent post by the way - in that I have tried so desperately to equate TM the man into TM the manager. After years of seeing shysters come and go it is just nice to have a bloke that I trust. Unfortunately though that only gets you so far. Your results have to match your 'personality', otherwise we are just treading water and paying for a nice guys living when in reality there are better options out there for us.

As said, 2020/2021 will be his last chance for me. We cannot continue this inconsistency otherwise we will lose all of our best players again, if we don't already lose them this summer. Once Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Holtby and Tosin go we are literally left with the bare bones once again and you can bet any money that there will be teams after them players in the Summer break, save maybe Dack due to injury. 

• Like 2

What annoyed me last night was that their manager was on the touchline for 90 minutes organising, cajoling and instructing his players.

Ours was sat on the advertising boards with clipboard in hand as though it was a Lads v Dads end of season jolly.

17 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Brilliant post which shows that things clearly for what they are.

Rightly or wrongly Lambert's spell in charge is criticised, mocked and scorned by many as being dull, underwhelming or even a failure. Yet your statistics show that actually it was pretty much identical to what Mowbray has delivered, albeit condensed into 6 months rather than more than 2 years with Mowbray.

I also feel that it is necessary to remember that Lambert never had the benefit of a summer window, transfer funds or a pre season to put in place what he wanted to do.

Mowbray has had a lot of money, time and two pre seasons to put in place his vision and we look all over the place approaching his third.

At a functional normal football club there would be an owner, chairman or director sat watching things, forming a view and then there would be an inquest with the manager asked to explain himself. Does anyone really think that ever happens at Ewood?

What it boils down to is whether finishing a few places higher than last year is good enough in return for millions upon millions of investment. It didn't take baby steps for Warnock, Dyche or Wilder to get up.

The only question on the minds of those running the club should be whether they believe promotion is achievable under the existing staff or whether an alternative would give us a better chance.

I absolutely dread another transfer window of Mowbray's recruitment and lining up for the start of next season. We know exactly what will happen.

• Like 1

The difficulty for a new manager to compared to the job Mowbray had is that under Coyle he had pieced together a squad filled with cheap shite on short term contracts and substandard loans. At the end of the season much of that crap (Brown, Greer, Byrne, Hendrie etc) plus a few longer term shit players like Lowe and Akpan all were due to be out if contract. 

Even if a new manager came in Mowbray has signed loads of sub par players on long term contracts that it is so hard to rebuild. Mulgrew, Bell, Williams and Bennett were given extensions, so theyll be sticking around, Johnson, Gallagher, Brereton, Rothwell etc are all sat on decent contracts im sure and I bet Mowbray is already pushing deals over the line for our out of contract rag tag bunch. Big money players meant as promising assets are now sat taking a considerable wage as costly liabilities.

A further problem is the fact that a normal club would now be planning for next season. With our disinterested owners no budgets will be discussed until the end of the season, if in any possible with Mowbray in India. Any competent free agents perfect for us in these economic circumstances will go elsewhere and we will again lag behind.

Theres also a good chance now that we might actually finish on less points than last season. The season is again over with plenty of games to spare. Considering that weve signed 3 expensive loans this season, 3 big earners on frees and of course a 5m signing who is now probably our biggest earner, and we are no nearer to getting a successful way to get this totally imbalanced squad to work efficiently.

I am struggling to see any reasons why we should continue with the current manager. He has wasted our money and our squad is still all over the place. His recent use of an experimental system to terrible effect shows that he is no closer to piecing things together. @chaddyrovers what is your methodology behind thinking that we are going in the right direction considering how his squad is so imbalanced and so strewn with financial liabilities. He may even be unable to claim progress this season.

As it is, its so frustrating that we know our owners dont give a shit, no thought will be given regarding budgets etc for at least a month, we will try and fail to play catch up with a limited budget and our squad will still be full of shite next year.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Hearing they're too invested in Tony to let him go yet and likely to give him another year... 

The contract Mowbray awarded himself still has a few years to run. Clever clever man, Clubs best interests at heart.

It feels my brain that fans believe his crap.

• Like 1

Rothwell is an interesting one, we only signed him for £100k so will make a profit if we sell, but the exciting scoring player of the end of last season seems to have been coached out of existence. The same seems to have happened to Travis's box to box game as well.

It seems you have to fit Tony's midfielder blueprint or else it is coached out of you.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The contract Mowbray awarded himself still has a few years to run. Clever clever man, Clubs best interests at heart.

It feels my brain that fans believe his crap.

I think the time is up for TM but i really do not buy into this topping up his pension and does not want to get promoted. He would no doubt be given a much better contract if he were to get us promoted. He would be able to dine out on that promotion for years with the Venkies, the first manager in a dozen(?) to get us back there. They wouldnt be sacking him for years after that even if we were relegated. He would also have that promotion on his cv and could easily land another gig. I highly doubt he doesnt want promotion.

For me, it is just that he is a limited manager that always struggles against the poorer teams in the league that come with a gameplan. He overthinks things to the extent that he confuses the fans, players and even himself i suspect.

Then there is the two duds he wasted all our cash on, the strikers on the wing crap, defenders are coming, finding anywhere to get Benno in the team and the negligence of our defense. For me, these are the reasons he has to go...

8 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Even the Facebook happy clappers are starting to get fed up. 

There's some right bellends on there. Sum total of their argument is to ridicule anyone who dare question Mowbray, repeat the dumbing down of us as a club and then ask for alternatives - which then also get ridiculed.

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Hearing they're too invested in Tony to let him go yet and likely to give him another year... 

From the bits you hear and read and some of the stuff he comes out with it seems Rovers in this period is very much Project Mowbray with Vs full backing.  I think that's why it often seems so relaxed and blaze' because he knows they have been sold a plan over a number of years and it looks like his word goes he can pretty much do as he likes.

Almost like a franchise backed by a big corporation but run by others they've got the 'line' manager in TM they always wanted. I'm still suspicious about who sits right in the middle of all this behind the scenes. They've spent a lot since they did those audits and i'd stake my house on part of the plan being a nice round of sales at some point similar to the GB era.  Squares up FFP and gets them a load of money back to cover running costs then basically start again.

That's when they might make a change because he'd probably move on then or retire and i think that would be a couple of years off still. However a new financial climate might spoil that so god knows what plan B would turn out to be. Otherwise Nyambe, Lenihen, Dack, Travis and Armstrong would nicely cover the wasted 12 million plus some running costs.

• Like 2