BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said Mowbray has his faults. I have posted my thoughts on the Brereton and Gallagher signings over the past months and years. I did think Brereton signing was a good signing at the time from what I seen of the player at that time. Now if both signings have fired us to promotion then he would be hailed as a hero and masterclass Mowbray. Other teams have wasted money on Strikers over the last year but only hindsight time you this.  and if my aunt had a d!ck she'd be my uncle !!!

Why are so many people obsess who the captain is. Cos tbh it doesn't matter in all honest  Absolute b0ll0cks  - ask Dalglish, Ferguson and Wenger how important Sherwood, Keane and Adams were!!!!!

Yes the club is in much better state when he took over and no I disagree he has taken the club as far as he can. 

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

hows long is a piece of string Mercer with 1st question

If we was lower than last season place finish next season after a number of games 

I think we have improve from last season to this season. He has improved players like Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis and Armstrong into key players for our club and the future. He is bringing through players like Rankin Costello from our academy so I am pleased we are bringing through more and more of these players. His signings of Downing and Adarabioyo have been very good additions. Plus we have invested time and money into this European scouting Network so we have to give him time to make it work. Plus without Dack for half the season and us being so close this season means that with next season with a few good additions including an experience 1st choice keeper, partner for Lenihan and 1st choice left back I feel we can make the playoffs. With FFP rules and from what we can see in the accounts there does appear to be very little room for manoeuvre unless these FFP rules are change or relaxed for a season or 2.. Plus isn't our wage budget around mid table to lower half of the league.  

Yes Mowbray does have his faults and no one can deny this but I am believe that there is more positives than negatives about Mowbray's time at the club. 

Yes people will disagree with my point of view and that's fine by me. Everyone has their opinion on the type of manager or possible manager names they would like to see and the style of play they would like to see us play to progress us forward but I am happy with Mowbray to remain manager for next season. 

Just to say Chaddy I this is one of your best posts as you give reasons for your thoughts and I can see the logic and evidence of some of them. As I've said before, just because you have an opinion doesn't make it correct or valid (for example I could think the moon is made of cheese, which isn't an opinion that should be taken seriously.) In this case however, I think you do name some very valid strengths of TM, showing he's not a complete duffer. 

Do these outweigh the negatives - I massively disagree on that. I think the spunking of the budget (more of that in the next post) would be a huge negative. Overall I don't think his record in the transfer window is very good, but will admit from this when he gets it right he gets it very right. Sadly that's not often the case. His constant playing players out of position is another. And keeping players playing long into badly performing runs is a third issue. Given the first has huge implications for us and the second and third are so basic and shouldn't be happening, for me it's a taken us as far as he can. No good manager would make such basic regular mistakes which are massively hurting us, and the loss of £12 mill plus in resources is something we cannot afford.     

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said Mowbray has his faults. I have posted my thoughts on the Brereton and Gallagher signings over the past months and years. I did think Brereton signing was a good signing at the time from what I seen of the player at that time. Now if both signings have fired us to promotion then he would be hailed as a hero and masterclass Mowbray. Other teams have wasted money on Strikers over the last year but only hindsight time you this. 

Why are so many people obsess who the captain is. Cos tbh it doesn't matter in all honest

Yes the club is in much better state when he took over and no I disagree he has taken the club as far as he can. 

I'm a bit less convinced with this one mind. I get there is an element of hindsight but there was some evidence at the time. Certainly the fees paid represented an outlay that only should have been spent on proven talent, and as you yourself have said, you'd have spent the Gally money on a keeper and couple of defenders (which I agree with.) None of that is hindsight. We all knew what sort of quality that sort of money should bring in. We all knew the defence needed more strengthening. And we all knew what type of player Gally was like. I honestly think Samuel is the best of the three strikers he has brought (excluding Armstrong.) At least he gets into positions even if he fluffs them. and Samuel isn't that good but for ten and twelve times the amount Samuel cost, you have to be getting much better and we didn't The risk was huge and it has come back to haunt us. Plus even if it was pure hindsight (and I'd say it's not as scouting, common sense and previous experience should mitigate this) the fact is it hasn't worked out and the blame for that rests on TM. Basically I think he could and should have known better on both signings. Buying players isn't a lottery, it's educated speculation. If we go down the we can only know with hindsight route, then we can't credit him with the signings of Dack or Armstrong either. So do think he has to take the blame on this one. No ducking, diving or excuses. He mucked up. 

Captain does matter on two levels. Firstly they lead by example and a good captain can make a big difference to team attitude and moral. Secondly you have to play your captain, so if your captain is a player who shouldn't be playing, and you play him anyway because he is captain, you are weakening the team. So it does matter, because it affects the quality of your first 11. In Bennett's case he shouldn't be first choice at right back or right mid, and definitely shouldn't be playing at all at left back which is suicidal. So yeah, the captain makes a difference. To think we've gone from the likes of Flitty and Nelson to Bennett.It's a hell of a comedown. (And I don't mean we're at a lower level, I mean as in the role and character the captain has in the team.) 

A much better state then when he came. I'd agree better, but not on the much. Bare in mind as well that this really is a tallest dwarf competition - we'd had years of Venkys pulling the plug, and living solely off frees, selling our best talent and replacing them for peanuts. We'd also had a clueless manager with not even a shoestring for a budget, and had languished under his ministrations. So yeah, 6 windows and 12 million plus in fees later, it's no wonder we are in a better position.

That said we're not in that much of a better position. We go into next season with no keeper and half a defence. We have 4 non scoring forwards .Our best two players when he arrived - Mulgrew and Graham are both aging and haven't been adequately replaced, whilst the likes of Johnson and Downing are also getting on and will need replacing. (Johnson doubly as he is so poor at times.) We need at least 5 players next year just to stand still, let alone improve. We still don't know our best formation, our style or best 11 three years after he has joined. For me that isn't much progress, that's a mess.

Interesting we compare vs Coyle, which is no comparison at all, but how does this team and squad compare to the Bowyer one pre FFP. Rhodes and Gestede are streets ahead of our current strikers, with King as another tasty option. Out wide the creativity, flair and supply of Conway and Marshall, as well as Cairney gave us loads of attacking options. We also had Hanley and Duffy as centre backs. Did we have Olsson at left back too. Sure there were a few duff ones, a favourite shoehorned into the side even at full back and a terrible keeper. Doesn't seem that dissimilar to now. But the first 11. I;d say it was better then, or that fewer pieces of the puzzle were needed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Mowbray's contract lasts until 2022.  With the club reluctant to refund season ticket holders, due to the financial situation, I doubt much thought will be given to paying off Mowbray and his staff anytime soon.  

The events at Wigan show just how precarious the situation is for many clubs - Rovers included - due to the virus.  I've no doubt that Mowbray will, at the very least, be given next season to try to break into the top six.  With finances so stretched I'm not sure how he - or indeed anyone who took his place - will be able to rebuild the squad in the way that it needs.  Personally, I like Mowbray and think, on the whole, he has done a decent job since he arrived.  Like all managers he has made mistakes. Some of the tactics can seem strange - still no idea was a false 9 is - unless it's another way of describing Gallagher or Brereton in terms of non-scoring forwards. Those two have been huge disappoints and costly mistakes.   A bit like Bob Saxton before him, he's been loyal to players and, like Saxton, that may ultimately cost him.  But, due to the financial situation I suspect he will see out his contract unless he decides otherwise.

Ya, you're probably on the money there 

As we are now know which division we will be in next season, we should be planning for next season now. We are desperately short in some areas of the pitch, thanks to Mowbray and it's a huge concern that we are likely going to need to sign some key players for pretty much nothing, assuming we have no budget at all due to Covid and FFP.

I can't see us doing anything but going backwards next season. If Mowbray remains stubborn in his use of Gallagher/Brereton with this inside forward rubbish, we could be in serious trouble.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

1. The concept of progress and improvement now does somewhat hang in the balance. We are 4 points behind last seasons points tally, with 6 difficult games to go including the top 2, Cardiff and Milwall. If we was to finish on the same or even less points than last season, would that cause any doubts as to whether youd want him to stay?

2. You regularly mention this European scouting network. Firstly I feel that you are under delusions of grandeur in terms of it all clicking into place and our summer will just be first of all a normal one considering the pandemic (example A being Wigan) and also that we are going to go and sign numerous players from the continent to improve us. But presuming that it is all systems go, why does that have to stop with Mowbray? The scouting network surely doesnt stop in his head.

3. You mention his signings which are a mixed bag but in terms of progress, it doesnt look good. Firstly, obviously we have lost Raya, with his faults sure, signed a goalkeeper no better who this summer has gone. So this summer to last summer, we are down an asset. We spent that money and a bit more on possibly our biggest owner who is absolute shite and a total liability on our wage bill. We cant get rid and hes of no use. Throw in Johnson, another high earning non contributor and weve got 2 big earning failures and of course a hole instead of an asset in goal. Holtby is a good addition for another season who has mainly been used wrongly, Adarabioyo has been good but will go back and leave a hole, and Downing again has been a good signing might get another year but even post lockdown his influence is waning. Are we even in a better position compared to last summer in terms of this seasons recruitment? Not sure we are at all.

4. The 4 you mentioned are all key, but is Rankin Costello a symbol of success on Mowbrays behalf? An assist for a fifth goal at Sheffield Wednesday his sole contribution to date. Buckley has only really had one good game. Chapman has been totally wasted. Davenport has also rotted away and the less said about Brereton the better. Not sure that area really is a qualified success either.

5. You are constantly defending the club for its policy (inconsistently applied in Bell's case) of dithering and waiting regarding budgets. Do you agree that with any lingering play off hopes now gone, the budget should be agreed NOW between our incompetent owners and the manager to ensure that we can be proactive?

so on to your points. 

1. yes 6 games to go with 4 games against top half which statically we do better against. 

2. Different managers use and want different things from the scouting department. Not every manager will want signings from Europe or from the leagues we have scouted. Some managers will want to bring in their own scouts or head of recruitment. 

3. We all know what want on with us trying to get a replacement in for Raya who wanted out from Rovers. Mowbray has said he is going to try to bring Adarabioyo back to Rovers if he can next season. Downing will deffo get another 12 months and right so. His influence is waning since Lockdown. really? He had a good game against Bristol City, Poor at Wigan and Okay yesterday. On Summer signings, I have said what we need in terms of recruiting signings this next transfer window which is around 6 signings without losing any key players. 

4. Rankin Costello and Buckley are a symbol of Mowbray and the staff at Brockhall working and developing these academy players. Chapman and Davenport arent from our Academy which was my original point. We have Hayden Carter, Lewis Thompson, Jack Vale, etc who are exciting prospects coming through our Academy setup and hopefully into the 1st team

5. 6 games to go and still Cardiff, WBA, Leeds and Millwall to play so we have a chance. Might not be a great chance but still a chance. Mowbray has said he has different transfer targets lists depending on the budget plus as I have highlighted to yourself several times which you overlook every single time we have no restart date, no decision on FFP rules being relax like UEFA have done, possible salary cap coming in, The latest Coronavirus situation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Just to say Chaddy I this is one of your best posts as you give reasons for your thoughts and I can see the logic and evidence of some of them. As I've said before, just because you have an opinion doesn't make it correct or valid (for example I could think the moon is made of cheese, which isn't an opinion that should be taken seriously.) In this case however, I think you do name some very valid strengths of TM, showing he's not a complete duffer. 

Thanks

I'm a bit less convinced with this one mind. I get there is an element of hindsight but there was some evidence at the time. Certainly the fees paid represented an outlay that only should have been spent on proven talent, and as you yourself have said, you'd have spent the Gally money on a keeper and couple of defenders (which I agree with.) None of that is hindsight. We all knew what sort of quality that sort of money should bring in. We all knew the defence needed more strengthening. And we all knew what type of player Gally was like.

Yes I did as I felt a good centre back partner for Lenihan was a must. Plus an experience keeper. 

My hindsight point about Gallagher was he could have been success if he had score goals like before. not about what the priorities where last summer which was keeper, Left back and centre back. we got all 3 but Walton has been overall poor, Adarabioyo has been good and Cunningham got injured early doors. 

A much better state then when he came. I'd agree better, but not on the much.

We had no assets at the club when he came into the club we do now 

That said we're not in that much of a better position. We go into next season with no keeper and half a defence. We have 4 non scoring forwards .Our best two players when he arrived - Mulgrew and Graham are both aging and haven't been adequately replaced, whilst the likes of Johnson and Downing are also getting on and will need replacing. (Johnson doubly as he is so poor at times.) We need at least 5 players next year just to stand still, let alone improve. We still don't know our best formation, our style or best 11 three years after he has joined. For me that isn't much progress, that's a mess.

Mulgrew has to go this summer. I think he might go loan to SPL club or overseas possibly. 

I would give Downing and Graham a new 12 months Johnson, Evans and Bennett have 12 months left on their contract So they will be gone in 12 months time, and we have Buckley, Davenport coming through. 

I have said we need 6 signings this summer and the return of Dack and we can challenge for the playoffs. 

I have always been fan of us having 2 or 3 different formations so we can have plan B or C. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so on to your points. 

1. yes 6 games to go with 4 games against top half which statically we do better against. 

2. Different managers use and want different things from the scouting department. Not every manager will want signings from Europe or from the leagues we have scouted. Some managers will want to bring in their own scouts or head of recruitment. 

3. We all know what want on with us trying to get a replacement in for Raya who wanted out from Rovers. Mowbray has said he is going to try to bring Adarabioyo back to Rovers if he can next season. Downing will deffo get another 12 months and right so. His influence is waning since Lockdown. really? He had a good game against Bristol City, Poor at Wigan and Okay yesterday. On Summer signings, I have said what we need in terms of recruiting signings this next transfer window which is around 6 signings without losing any key players. 

4. Rankin Costello and Buckley are a symbol of Mowbray and the staff at Brockhall working and developing these academy players. Chapman and Davenport arent from our Academy which was my original point. We have Hayden Carter, Lewis Thompson, Jack Vale, etc who are exciting prospects coming through our Academy setup and hopefully into the 1st team

5. 6 games to go and still Cardiff, WBA, Leeds and Millwall to play so we have a chance. Might not be a great chance but still a chance. Mowbray has said he has different transfer targets lists depending on the budget plus as I have highlighted to yourself several times which you overlook every single time we have no restart date, no decision on FFP rules being relax like UEFA have done, possible salary cap coming in, The latest Coronavirus situation 

1. So would your declaration of progress and/or your view on Mowbray continuing if we was not to beat the 60 point total from last season?

2. Why would a new manager rip up the supposed work done on widening the scope for potential new signings? To br honest this summer the idea of plucking signings from all 4 corners of the globe seems fanciful considering the current situation anyway. But theres no justification that Mowbray should stay in case a new manager doesnt for whatever reason want an enhanced scouting network.

3. Again I think you are being optimistic expecting an influx of signings but my point is long term you could argue we have actually gone backwards this season in terms of recruitment. We have added 2 big earners who we would find it impossible to shift but neither of whom are any real use. We have also lost the aforementioned keeper we had. The 2 most successful signings are a soon to be 36 year old midfielder who might contribute for another season, and a centre back who will almost certainly go back in 6 games. Recruitment in the last 12 months has a big cross on it.

4. I dont get why you are naming youngsters in your argument of Mowbray should stay. If you said Travis he certainly deserves credit for him. Buckley has played bits and bobs almost exclusively out of position and not established himself. Rankin Costello has made only 2 starts (and struggled im both) so again at this point judging Mowbray is not evidence of anything positive. Thompson cant make the 9 man bench even when all of our left backs are injured, Vale made the bench for the first time yesterday with little appetite to bring him on, and Carter has again been on the bench to make up the numbers. When a gap came available he would rather bring back Mulgrew who he has written off prior. None of these are points which enhance Mowbrays position at this time. 

5. The issue about waiting for budgets is a long standing problem and you know that and constantly brush it off. "Its the way they work." Why is the start date so critical, early September, late September, early October, late October, the need for players is exactly the same regardless! And FFP or no FFP,  we are going to have a very limited budget, which is why we need to steal a march on the best cheap freebies to fill the gaps, and ideally let all but Downing go from the out of contracters.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

1. So would your declaration of progress and/or your view on Mowbray continuing if we was not to beat the 60 point total from last season?

2. Why would a new manager rip up the supposed work done on widening the scope for potential new signings? To br honest this summer the idea of plucking signings from all 4 corners of the globe seems fanciful considering the current situation anyway. But theres no justification that Mowbray should stay in case a new manager doesnt for whatever reason want an enhanced scouting network.

3. Again I think you are being optimistic expecting an influx of signings but my point is long term you could argue we have actually gone backwards this season in terms of recruitment. We have added 2 big earners who we would find it impossible to shift but neither of whom are any real use. We have also lost the aforementioned keeper we had. The 2 most successful signings are a soon to be 36 year old midfielder who might contribute for another season, and a centre back who will almost certainly go back in 6 games. Recruitment in the last 12 months has a big cross on it.

4. I dont get why you are naming youngsters in your argument of Mowbray should stay. If you said Travis he certainly deserves credit for him. Buckley has played bits and bobs almost exclusively out of position and not established himself. Rankin Costello has made only 2 starts (and struggled im both) so again at this point judging Mowbray is not evidence of anything positive. Thompson cant make the 9 man bench even when all of our left backs are injured, Vale made the bench for the first time yesterday with little appetite to bring him on, and Carter has again been on the bench to make up the numbers. When a gap came available he would rather bring back Mulgrew who he has written off prior. None of these are points which enhance Mowbrays position at this time. 

5. The issue about waiting for budgets is a long standing problem and you know that and constantly brush it off. "Its the way they work." Why is the start date so critical, early September, late September, early October, late October, the need for players is exactly the same regardless! And FFP or no FFP,  we are going to have a very limited budget, which is why we need to steal a march on the best cheap freebies to fill the gaps, and ideally let all but Downing go from the out of contracters.

on your points 

1. Mowbray stays in place as we will be past last season points and places by end of the season

2. Different managers want to work with their staff they know and trust. No one has said we will plucking signings from all 4 corners of the globe tho have I? NO! Rovers have targeted different leagues where we hope to find players we can sign. Managers might want a British based squad or number of different scenarios. 

3. no one is expecting an influx of signings but 6 sensible signings is what we need. You would say we have gone backwards in terms of recruitments so support your points. I would disagree with that. 

4. Well why shouldnt I be naming the Young players Mowbray and his staff are bringing through and developing. You have to make sure the young players are ready for championship before playing them. Players like Carter, Vale, Thompson are players Mowbray and his staff rate and are looking to bring through. Mowbray wants to loan Thompson and Hilton out next season so they can play regular 1st team football. With regards to Rankin-Costello he has started 3 games and only 1 in his natural position on the wide left. one at left back and one in a number 10 role which he didn't suit it one bit. Personally I think you are over critical of him. I have watched these players coming from through the under 18's and under 23's and hopefully in the 1st team. Its great to see that Rovers have so many good prospects coming through and path way for them into the 1st team squad and 11. 

5. I have told you my thoughts on this already and you keep ignoring them so I am going to leave it there cos i am bringing my head against brick wall

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

on your points 

1. Mowbray stays in place as we will be past last season points and places by end of the season

Mowbray's own target was 70 points. He needs 14 points from the last 6 games just to meet his own target, which will be difficult. If he can't even hit his own target then why would we want to keep him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

4. Well why shouldnt I be naming the Young players Mowbray and his staff are bringing through and developing. You have to make sure the young players are ready for championship before playing them. Players like Carter, Vale, Thompson are players Mowbray and his staff rate and are looking to bring through. Mowbray wants to loan Thompson and Hilton out next season so they can play regular 1st team football. With regards to Rankin-Costello he has started 3 games and only 1 in his natural position on the wide left. one at left back and one in a number 10 role which he didn't suit it one bit. Personally I think you are over critical of him. I have watched these players coming from through the under 18's and under 23's and hopefully in the 1st team. Its great to see that Rovers have so many good prospects coming through and path way for them into the 1st team squad and 11. 

How can you say with certainty that he rates Thompson. The lad is nearly 21 we have Williams, Bell and JRC out injured are allowed 9 subs and he still can't make the bench. If he rated him at all then surely he would have had him in the squad when we are completely depleted at left back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

on your points 

2. Different managers want to work with their staff they know and trust. No one has said we will plucking signings from all 4 corners of the globe tho have I? NO! Rovers have targeted different leagues where we hope to find players we can sign. Managers might want a British based squad or number of different scenarios. 

3. no one is expecting an influx of signings but 6 sensible signings is what we need. You would say we have gone backwards in terms of recruitments so support your points. I would disagree with that. 

5. I have told you my thoughts on this already and you keep ignoring them so I am going to leave it there cos i am bringing my head against brick wall

Fair enough. Your illogical argument is summed up by listing 6 academy graduates to try and strengthen the point that Mowbray should stay, of whom only 2 have appeared in the first team, fleetingly and predominantly out of position and have struggled to hold their own, and the other 4 (2 of whom are in positions whereby we have had numerous absences) are as of yet unused. When shown how illogical an argument that is, you then suggest they arent ready. Which im not saying they are or that they should play, but how on earth is that a logical point?!

IMO expecting a constructive transfer window is totally illogical considering that apart from Armstrong who we had in League 1 anyway, the transfer recruitment since promotion has not progressed us long term, with only short term signings (Reed, Adarabioyo, Downing) excelling, especially when we are in a pandemic and will likely have minimal budget to work with, compared to the very healthy budget blown to date. The squad is still horribly imbalanced and has numerous additional expensive liabilities (Gallagher, Brereton, Johnson) and non contributing wage drains (Rothwell, Chapman, Davenport) that we are lumbered with.

The conversation is all moot because he wont be going anywhere, he has a cosy job with his mate Waggott and even if there was a desire to freshen up I am almost certain that we couldnt afford it.

• Like 1

We don’t have any idea how many signings we really need until some of these youngsters get a real chance in these empty last 6 games. Left Back, Centre Half and Keeper are a given.
I would be happier with Mowbray if he just committed to playing the younger players and the players that are contracted for next year.

Edited by Fraserkirky

I notice a lot of people seem to think we will do well in the next six games, well in my opinion I don't. Remember that horror run we went on last year when 1 point outside the playoffs well I think the same thing is happening and honestly I can't see this team winning in the near future. It pains me to say that but thanks to Mowbray they will shuffle sideways, sideways and back into oblivion. I started following Rovers in 1952 (yes I'm an old git) and it hurts to see the abject performances put in regularly week in week out by all the well known culprits in the team.

The simple fact is that Mowbray has failed but because of the equally failed owners it is allowed to continue and unfortunately I can't see things changing.

We can only hope.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray's own target was 70 points. He needs 14 points from the last 6 games just to meet his own target, which will be difficult. If he can't even hit his own target then why would we want to keep him?

He will not get close to his target.

In the real world the Owners and Board would have started their inquiry and researching replacements.

Meanwhile Waggott is shitting  his pants about ST sales but reckons he can save his arse but more fleecing of the diminishing fan base. The Owners don't give a flying one.

Facebook fans call for a Mowbray statue to commemorate his saving Rovers from longterm L1 plus a Flag the size of the BBE.

Mowbray and Waggott like this.

Back to the point. He will not get near his target but his job is the safest in the UK.

• Like 2

If by some miracle we went up.

There are 20 managers at the current Premier League clubs I would back to outwit Mowbray tactically even before we start to think about player for player differences.

Absolutely no way would Mowbray keep us up.

• Like 1

Way back to the start of the season....

The target this season (as stated by the club) was progression measured by challenging for the play offs.

Fact is if we finish 7th or 8th AND miss out by a point or 2 then we met the target. Play offs would be exceeding. Promotion we are simply nowhere near ready for.

However finishing 10th on similar points to last season is a massive failure.

9 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

How can you say with certainty that he rates Thompson. The lad is nearly 21 we have Williams, Bell and JRC out injured are allowed 9 subs and he still can't make the bench. If he rated him at all then surely he would have had him in the squad when we are completely depleted at left back.

Cos of a conversation that a friend of mine with Mowbray after the last supporters consultation meeting.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos of a conversation that a friend of mine with Mowbray after the last supporters consultation meeting.

So why do you think he wasn’t given a place on a 9 man subs bench when he is the only fit left back (not counting academy)  at the club? Doesn’t seem to me that he’s knocking on the door...

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Even if Mowbray doesn’t meet the points target of 70 (don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he will), do we really think this is something Venky’s judge him on, or set him themselves?

I’ve got my doubts....

• Like 5

David Dunn odds on favourite for the Barrow job. Id take him to replace Mowbray...he might be awful but id take the risk at the moment. A blackburn lad in charge with an experienced no 2. Ill keep dreaming...

18 hours ago, rigger said:

Have you watched the last two performances. Inept to say the least. Where is our next point coming from.

We can't be overly dramatic. We had chances to take the lead in both matches, especially the Barnsley match, and it is clear that we will pick up points over the remainder of the season.

We certainly deserved at least a point or two from the last two fixtures, but that isn't me trying to ignore how bad the performances were in the context of us having a realistic chance at making the playoffs.

But we look irrational if we start saying that we aren't even a competent Championship club when we end up finishing 9th-12th and a few points off of the playoffs - especially when considering the fact that one of the teams that just beat us has just gone into administration and will surely go down.

• Like 1

Football fans have short memories, you're only as good as your last game, even the Utd fans started to turn on Ferguson towards the end, its the nature of the beautiful game.

Tony Mowbray arrived here taking over from probably the worst manager in Blackburn Rovers history and we've had some cr@p under Venkys. He inherited a squad on easy street, unfit, uninterested and not fit for purpose, we went down, not his fault. Behind the scenes we had a bean counter running the show, Mowbray helped bring Waggot to the club, a man that at the very least has experience of running a football club, exactly what we needed.

The following season was a good season for the fans, new grounds, full terraces, big fish in a small pond and promotion won away at Doncaster, great night for all concerned, will live long in the memory, back up at the first attempt, job done.

We are now coming to the end of his second season in the Championship, our league position tells us we are probably going to finish higher than last season, so progress is being made, but not as fast as some would like, me included. His star striker buys have been a disaster, some believe he was forced into the purchase of Brereton, I think he wilfully bought Gallagher, both have flopped so far and he will pay the price is they don't improve, no doubt about that. 

Looking towards next season, he needs to be given a chance until October/November time for me, see if he can't pull this Championship seasoned squad into shape. We have a decent first 11, but they're not good enough to make a sustained challenge for the playoffs, he needs to add some steel, some more experience that will complement the likes of Lenihan, Dack and dare I say it Gallagher.

You look at the football league as it stands, I'd much rather be in Blackburn Rovers shoes than Sunderland, Bolton, Sheff Weds and Wigan, so its not all doom and gloom, is it?

• Like 2