BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1995 wasn’t particularly different than 1990, just a re-branded league, though the seeds had been sown. Serie A was still the go to competition.

It is this last decade where the finances have got out of control. Bigger attendances doesn’t mean the game itself is in a good place.

The EFL is a basket case and even in the PL, 6 mega clubs are now playing a different sport thanks to the globalisation of the game and CL cash. I for one can’t wait for 4 of them to play each other once again in this weekend’s semi finals.

Untold billions in to the game, but the vast majority of it straight into the pockets of agents and players. 

The desperation to get playing BCD shows how financially precarious the whole thing is.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

1995 wasn’t particularly different than 1990, just a re-branded league, though the seeds had been sown. Serie A was still the go to competition.

It is this last decade where the finances have got out of control. Bigger attendances doesn’t mean the game itself is in a good place.

The EFL is a basket case and even in the PL, 6 mega clubs are now playing a different sport thanks to the globalisation of the game and CL cash. I for one can’t wait for 4 of them to play each other once again in this weekend’s semi finals.

Untold billions in to the game, but the vast majority of it straight into the pockets of agents and players. 

The desperation to get playing BCD shows how financially precarious the whole thing is.

But that desperation would have been there in 1990 as well.

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

3 times the GK Walton is and will probably be playing PL footie next season. Brentfords recruitment is widely lauded, so surely they know something that we dont and thought the 3 mil was a snip for the potential that is now showing through under proper coaching.

I know what i saw last season. Incompetence from our goalkeeper on numerous occasions.  Brentford can have him, they are playimg well despite him

• Like 1

Anyone else just thoroughly depressed reading Mowbray's comments which of course the Lancashire Telegraph have run with gusto?

I mean, fans are disappointed and frustrated with our latest damp squib of a play off push, once again failing to get any higher than 7th for a few days. 

We should now be looking forward to next season with some sort of optimism. A plan and determination to go better, eradicate mistakes and ensure that we get to the top 6. 

I want to hear the manager with some fighting.talk. 

'I am going to make sure we give a damn good fight of getting there next year and will recruit on that basis'

Instead the message is one of confusion, crossroads and bracing fans for a lack of spending. 

Nobody wants to hear it. It might be true but no fan wants to be told that there is no money and for whatever reason we have no idea what the aim is.

We should be selling season tickets now and this should be the point of optimism and ambition. Instead it is boring and dull.

We all know things are hard with coronavirus. Most people accept that this could well impact finances (although for those billionaires with the resources to do it this could also be seen as an opportunity).

Nobody demands millions to be splashed around but some joined up thinking and fighting talk would be nice 

'We will wait and see what happens and we might struggle through by giving the kids a chance' is not what people want to hear and will not encourage people to sign up and hand over money (not that they can yet anyway)

• Like 5

Thing is JH, Mowbray can't win either way.

He either bigs up our chances and then gets criticised for not achieving them due in large part to factors beyond his control (i.e. not knowing his budget) or he talks like he is doing and gets slated for lacking ambition. 

It's a classic rock and a hard place situation.

And for those saying sack him, in terms of possible replacements of any stature that we might consider more likely to succeed, who do you think would be keen on the job when Venkys won't say what funds might be available to strengthen? Of course there would be interest in the job, but not from people of the calibre being talked up on here IMO.

I love this club, i know we all do otherwise why spend time posting on here? (Sympathetic Claret & Longsider aside!)  I want success too. But we're a basketcase club to which Mowbray has brought some real stability. Most people outside of this club within the game think Mowbray has done a very good job in spite of that; I doubt there's many with a good reputation who will be willing to risk that and back themselves to do significantly better in these circumstances (I.e under our current owners).

I should stress that a lack of confidence in a good replacement being selected is not my only reason for believing Mowbray should stay, but it is certainly a relevant factor.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 4

Sick and tired of reading what, IMO, is just bullsh1t and soundbites from Mowbray.

IMO, he offers no hope just excuses for mediocrity at best.

We need someone with a 'can do' attitude, who exudes positivity and can fire-up the football club and its fans. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Thing is JH, Mowbray can't win either way.

He either bigs up our chances and then gets criticised for not achieving them due to factors beyond his control (i.e. not knowing his budget) or he talks like he is doing and gets slated for lacking ambition. 

It's a classic rock and a hard place situation.

And for those saying sack him, in terms of possible replacements of any stature that we might consider more likely to succeed, who do you think would be keen on the job when Venkys won't say what funds might be available to strengthen? Of course there would be interest in the job, but not from people of the calibre being talked up on here IMO.

I love this club, i know we all do otherwise why spend time posting on here? (Sympathetic Claret & Longsider aside!)  I want success too. But we're a basketcase club to which Mowbray has brought some real stability. Most people outside of this club within the game think Mowbray has done a very good job in spite of that; I doubt there's many with a good reputation who will be willing to risk that and back themselves to do significantly better in these circumstances.

I should stress that a lack of confidence in a good replacement being selected is not my only reason for believing Mowbray should stay, but it is certainly a relevant factor.

What manger wouldn't want a job where you get no hassle from the Directors, seemingly plenty of money to spend (just a pity Mowbray pissed it up the wall), and overall control of everything?

There would be a queue a mile long to manage this great club. The facilities are still great (for now)....

• Like 2

Not worth a new thread and linked to our whole set up - including manager...

So far out of 44 respondents in the main Rovers fan Fb group, there is an overwhelming majority who want Venkys to remain our owners.

These people have the club they deserve. I presume this is why they are satisfied with Mowbray - keeping us on a steady course while we drift towards a huge waterfall.

We are totally at the mercy of Desai not waking up one day, looking at the total debt and saying “that’s enough”. When that happens, will these people be shaking buckets in town on a Saturday afternoon or watching Liverpool on Sky-VAR TV?

Oh for the days when people at least put up a fight. Fans have truly been defeated and our crowd numbers show it. I hope people remember this the next time Waggott crows “we’ve done everything we can”.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Anyone else just thoroughly depressed reading Mowbray's comments which of course the Lancashire Telegraph have run with gusto?

I mean, fans are disappointed and frustrated with our latest damp squib of a play off push, once again failing to get any higher than 7th for a few days. 

We should now be looking forward to next season with some sort of optimism. A plan and determination to go better, eradicate mistakes and ensure that we get to the top 6. 

I want to hear the manager with some fighting.talk. 

'I am going to make sure we give a damn good fight of getting there next year and will recruit on that basis'

Instead the message is one of confusion, crossroads and bracing fans for a lack of spending. 

Nobody wants to hear it. It might be true but no fan wants to be told that there is no money and for whatever reason we have no idea what the aim is.

We should be selling season tickets now and this should be the point of optimism and ambition. Instead it is boring and dull.

We all know things are hard with coronavirus. Most people accept that this could well impact finances (although for those billionaires with the resources to do it this could also be seen as an opportunity).

Nobody demands millions to be splashed around but some joined up thinking and fighting talk would be nice 

'We will wait and see what happens and we might struggle through by giving the kids a chance' is not what people want to hear and will not encourage people to sign up and hand over money (not that they can yet anyway)

If you think that people are not demanding millions to be splashed you can't read this board very often. Mercer and others want millions spent on sacking practically everybody above the grade of tea lady, others want a salary package to attract the likes of Chris Hughton coupled with demands for new goalkeepers , centre backs, left backs , strikers and wingers.

44 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

What manger wouldn't want a job where you get no hassle from the Directors, seemingly plenty of money to spend (just a pity Mowbray pissed it up the wall), and overall control of everything?

There would be a queue a mile long to manage this great club. The facilities are still great (for now)....

Indeed there would be a long queue - but not of anybody who is any good. Just the needy and the greedy would apply.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Indeed there would be a long queue - but not of anybody who is any good. Just the needy and the greedy would apply.

Well Neil Warnock would've come, and whatever you think of him as a person, he is definitely a good Championship manager.

The problem would be that any appointment would come from the bottom of an agency's barrel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Sick and tired of reading what, IMO, is just bullsh1t and soundbites from Mowbray.

IMO, he offers no hope just excuses for mediocrity at best.

We need someone with a 'can do' attitude, who exudes positivity and can fire-up the football club and its fans. 

I actually can’t stand him now. Just get him out 

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 2

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think he's probably the best of what in reality will be on offer to our club - yes.

So if things have got stale, there’s no worries in getting someone else in then if you feel we can attract managers of Mowbray’s quality?

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

So no worries in getting someone else in then if we can attract someone of Mowbray’s quality?

I don't see the logic of blowing £2m in payoffs to get someone of the same quality - always assuming that is what you got; some of the Venkys previous managerial appointments have been nowhere near as good as Mowbray.

So we can’t sack Mowbray because we’d only attract no marks, but you also think we would attract managers of the level of Mowbray, who you rate highly..

You’ve realised you’ve got in a tangle, so now you’ve pivoted to it’s to do with cost.

Think that brain of yours is Mashed this morning.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Hughton Would walk here.

Johnson in the back grounds is the one on one coach it’s his academy crop.

BOTH would be significant upgrades on this wanker

My favourite would be Hughes. I’d love Bernd Schuster though.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

So we can’t sack Mowbray because we’d only attract no marks, but you also think we would attract managers of the level of Mowbray, who you rate highly..

You’ve realised you’ve got in a tangle, so now you’ve pivoted to it’s to do with cost.

Think that brain of yours is Mashed this morning.

I've said I don't think we would get anybody better - and there is a significant likelihood of someone much worse. I have also pointed out that there is a cost in removing a management team with 2 years on their contracts - something the mob gloss over.

As for my view of Mowbray I think he's got qualities and weaknesses - I haven't rated any manager at the club since Allardyce "highly".

3 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Hughton Would walk here.

Johnson in the back grounds is the one on one coach it’s his academy crop.

BOTH would be significant upgrades on this wanker

I think you probably underestimate the calibre of Chris Hughton - I doubt he needs the money and I don't think he would demean himself working at a club where there's probably very little money available and he's not allowed to have complete control over transfers.

As for Johnson there's no evidence that he would be a significant upgrade on the present manager - people only put his name forward because he's a popular former player for the club.

• Like 2