BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think you probably underestimate the calibre of Chris Hughton - I doubt he needs the money and I don't think he would demean himself working at a club where there's probably very little money available and he's not allowed to have complete control over transfers.

As for Johnson there's no evidence that he would be a significant upgrade on the present manager - people only put his name forward because he's a popular former player for the club.

He wasnt that good for us, decent player but I would hardly say he was a popular former player. Most put him forward due to the work done in the academy.

• Like 4

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think you probably underestimate the calibre of Chris Hughton - I doubt he needs the money and I don't think he would demean himself working at a club where there's probably very little money available and he's not allowed to have complete control over transfers.

As for Johnson there's no evidence that he would be a significant upgrade on the present manager - people only put his name forward because he's a popular former player for the club.

You are like a miserable record stuck on repeat. Negative.

Weve a great stadium, great facilities and academy, great nucleas of a squad, top half championship. We are an attractive proposition. We are a former PL winner many would enjoy coming here for the challenge,

• Like 1

Nobody can be worse then the current manager .. He’s run out of ideas and is all over the show regarding a playing philosophy.. I can’t remember the amount of clubs he’s mentioned and the styles he admires from afar ....From Sheff United to Leeds to Norwich and even the mighty Wigan ....

Wants to play the West Brom way then says we don’t have the forwards to put the ball in the net ...
Who spent the 12/13 million on the misfiring forward line Venkys made Available ? 

• Like 3

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Weve a great stadium, great facilities and academy, great nucleas of a squad, top half championship. We are an attractive proposition. We are a former PL winner many would enjoy coming here for the challenge,

Well, it would certainly be a challenge.

Just now, unleaded said:

Nobody can be worse then the current manager .. He’s run out of ideas and is all over the show regarding a playing philosophy.. I can’t remember the amount of clubs he’s mentioned and the styles he admires from afar ....From Sheff United to Leeds to Norwich and even the mighty Wigan ....

Wants to play the West Brom way then says we don’t have the forwards to put the ball in the net ...
Who spent the 12/13 million on the misfiring forward line Venkys made Available ? 

I'm afraid that for one Owen Coyle demonstrated very clearly that there are managers who would do a great deal worse than Tony Mowbray.

• Like 4

I can understand the fear of another Kean or Coyle coming in, but to do nothing would mean a slow drift towards the bottom of the table as happened with Bowyer when we ended up with Delfonso, Brown, Guthrie, Akpan and other uninspired signings. If Mowbray is given the 2 years of his contract, we'll be looking at the bottom 3 more than the top 6.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As far I can see the Rovers job appears to be by invitation only.  When did we last have a series of candidates for interview ?

wasn't it when we interviewed Warnock, Slade, Adkins and Warren Joyce? Then someone got Coyle the interview

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If you think that people are not demanding millions to be splashed you can't read this board very often. Mercer and others want millions spent on sacking practically everybody above the grade of tea lady, others want a salary package to attract the likes of Chris Hughton coupled with demands for new goalkeepers , centre backs, left backs , strikers and wingers.

Not really, I think people just want better players, so the club can progress. Imagine a fan wanting the best for their club?

We would have money if Mowbray hadn’t smashed it on Gallagher and Brereton....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Thank you!

It’s so irritating to hear people put our club down as an unattractive proposition yet big up the manager and ingratiate our owners.

We are still a big opportunity and if Mowbray walked tomorrow there would be no shortage of applicants.

We have the manager we have because of a lack of ambition, and because the owners seem to think that paying a manager a high salary is money wasted. (I wonder who filled their head with that nonsense - probably the same people who think that money spent on agency fees is good value maybe).

If people think Mowbray is the best man for the job (which is getting this club promoted - or at least challenging to) then fine - although I’ve yet to hear a good case being made. It really grates when the only thing offered is a negative idea that this is the best we can hope for. Which is precisely the attitude that is keeping the current board and management in situ.

• Like 1

It's a simple debate imo. TM isn't that good a manager, he is ok at best. In fact I think he is ok rather than useless but definitely not good. 

We are owned by Loons who are controlled by an agency that are third rate. All managers come from here. So given the pool and people making the selection the chances of us making a better appointment then TM are minute. The odds of making an appointment as good as TM isn't great either, in fact the likelihood is we would get worse. 

In no other club would the possibility of getting a worse manager be a reason to keep the current one. However in the circumstances at Rovers it seems a very compelling and strong motive. 

So roll the dice and very likely get worse/no benefit or stick with someone very limited who can't do it either. 

What a choice. No wonder we are stuffed until.Venkys go. Once we have a better owner TM will be out like a shot - would have been fired 3 times over at a normal club imo - and the possibility to progress becomes real. But until Venkys go we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with no way out... 

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

was you saying that when we sign either player?

I can’t remember what I said last week, never mind at that time. Nothing I saw from Sam Gallagher’s first spell made me think he was worth £5 Million and there’s been nothing from him since either.

Brereton I want to come good so badly, but he doesn’t show £7 Million worth of talent very often....

Just now, Blue blood said:

It's a simple debate imo. TM isn't that good a manager, he is ok at best. In fact I think he is ok rather than useless but definitely not good. 

We are owned by Loons who are controlled by an agency that are third rate. All managers come from here. So given the pool and people making the selection the chances of us making a better appointment then TM are minute. The odds of making an appointment as good as TM isn't great either, in fact the likelihood is we would get worse. 

In no other club would the possibility of getting a worse manager be a reason to keep the current one. However in the circumstances at Rovers it seems a very compelling and strong motive. 

So roll the dice and very likely get worse/no benefit or stick with someone very limited who can't do it either. 

What a choice. No wonder we are stuffed until.Venkys go. Once we have a better owner TM will be out like a shot - would have been fired 3 times over at a normal club imo - and the possibility to progress becomes real. But until Venkys go we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with no way out... 

That being so, and given that we know Mowbray continues to play players out of position to the detriment of both our league position and their own development (and value), should we not still try to get in a different manager - even if still from the same stable.

I can’t imagine Brereton or Gallagher’s agents are particularly happy about the worth of their own players! May as well use the system to our own advantage.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't remember many comments either way when we signed them apart from wanting them both to do well. On that score (no pun) they have failed miserably and the buck stops with Mowbray as it's his job to get value out of his signings. The pair have been Mowbrays biggest failings by a country mile.

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

I can’t remember what I said last week, never mind at that time. Nothing I saw from Sam Gallagher’s first spell made me think he was worth £5 Million and there’s been nothing from him since either.

Brereton I want to come good so badly, but he doesn’t show £7 Million worth of talent very often....

Very often? I don’t remember ever, not even for a single second, watching Brereton play and thinking: that’s why he cost £7m.

I just think Mowbray had the money, it was spend it or lose it, and Forest has him by the short and curlies on deadline day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Fair enough. I thought his 1st spell was fair good. I got the impression from Mowbray and media reporters at the time that Gallagher was his 1st target but couldnt get it done

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Very often? I don’t remember ever, not even for a single second, watching Brereton play and thinking: that’s why he cost £7m.

I just think Mowbray had the money, it was spend it or lose it, and Forest has him by the short and curlies on deadline day.

We bid for Luke Freeman on deadline day. 

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was optimistic on Brereton and thought it was a real statement of intent. I was very disappointed we signed Gallagher for what we did and said so on here.

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think most people questioned the money spent on both especially Brereton