BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Miller11 said:

Surely if he’s a very good player he’s worth significantly more than 3 million? We spent 7 million on a bag of shit a few months prior... Brentford got a fantastic deal.

I think £3m was about right Miller, Dracula was more interested in crosses than Raya. 

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I think £3m was about right Miller, Dracula was more interested in crosses than Raya. 

Friedel never came for crosses... but then again he had defenders who would head a ball in front of him.

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on that. I think he was worth a lot more. And his stop gap replacement has been massively inferior.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Under Bielsa they have spent £10.26M in the last 2 seasons. I was highlighting the fact that they were in net profit as it highlights how lucky Mowbray has been he has not had to sell any of his key players. Whereas Leeds had to sell Jansson and Roofe to make sure they complied with FFP.

But kept their best 2 players in Klich and Philips. Is this not right? 

• Moderation Lead
39 minutes ago, Gav said:

What has profit got to do with anything?

They've spent £25m in the past few seasons alone, that coupled with the correct manager in place means they're this seasons champions.

Mowbray had spent £1.99 during his time here in comparison, its not rocket science EA. 

Did you miss the signings of Brereton and Gallagher and their costs?

Spoiler alert, they weren’t free....

• Like 3

Just now, OnePhilT said:

When Leicester sacked Pearson, they won the Premie League title the season after, so... I can totally understand their decision.

In all seriousness, Watford were 7 points adrift of safety when Pearson took over, so to have them three points clear (plus a slightly better goal-difference if things go awry) isn't too shabby at all. Watford have always seemed like a basket-case club ever since those owners who play the loan market "internally" took over, although I suppose they are still Premier League stuff. Strange decision with just two games to go and a good chance of safety.

Watford changed manager 4 times in the season they got promoted to Premier League and have regularly swapped managers since, proving you don't need Mowbray-type "stability" to make progress. I don't care about them though. The point is Pearson is back on the market, he's miles better than Mowbray and if we were ambitious we should be approaching him

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Look at the players that have come through the place since Judge was on the books, then tell me they're not a world away from us.

What has Alan Judge go to do with any of this? Fantastic whatabouttery to avoid my point that this side who you claim are 'a world away from us' finished just 4 points ahead of us last season and they sold three of their key players from last season.

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

They've spent £25m in the last 3 seasons I think, massive money compared to us, but you carry on cherry picking.

We're not Leeds, or Brentford or West Borm, we're Blackburn Rovers owned by ferking idiots and until that changes or money is produced we're going nowhere.

And Leeds have spent that over the last 3 season because they have also sold players something that Mowbray hasn't had do and chosen not to do. Leeds received around £25 Million alone from the Dingles for Wood, Taylor and the goalie. This is why net spend is important because except for maybe the odd club just relegated from the Premiership no club is going out and spending £20M+ on players without selling some of their own first team players. That's why there are not many teams who have been in the Championship over the last 2 years that have a higher net spend than us. 

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Did you miss the signings of Brereton and Gallagher and their costs?

Spoiler alert, they weren’t free....

The deals of the signings of Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher in the last few summers must be 15 million in total. Add to a mid range wages budget there'll be quite a few managers of similar clubs could have used that kind of transfer money.

We might not be Leeds or West Brom but pleading poverty doesn't cut it either.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But kept their best 2 players in Klich and Philips. Is this not right? 

Klich was an outcast before Bielsa got there. He's a fine example of what a very good manager can do. But again I'm not sure what point you are trying make?

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Klich was an outcast before Bielsa got there. He's a fine example of what a very good manager can do. But again I'm not sure what point you are trying make?

He didnt sell his best 2 players like you said. He sold key player and 2 good players but NOT his best 2 players. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

He didnt sell his best 2 players like you said. He sold key player and 2 good players but NOT his best 2 players. 

I didn't say they were their best 2 players, go back and read it please. And please do not attribute false quotes to me.

• Like 1

Just read this in today's Guardian sports page - "....appears a man of principle,a person of moral as well as physical heft, but perhaps not so keen on nuance, either in approach or tactics. Having swiftly established his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, nothing could convince him to vary it. When games started poorly he seemed to offer nothing except for half-time rollickings; no game-changing substitutions, few changes of shape or emphasis. It seemed impossible for some players to lose their places in the starting X1, no matter how poor their form or even their fitness."

No, it's not. It's Nigel Pearson at Watford.

Who has just been sacked.

28 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

Just read this in today's Guardian sports page - "....appears a man of principle,a person of moral as well as physical heft, but perhaps not so keen on nuance, either in approach or tactics. Having swiftly established his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation, nothing could convince him to vary it. When games started poorly he seemed to offer nothing except for half-time rollickings; no game-changing substitutions, few changes of shape or emphasis. It seemed impossible for some players to lose their places in the starting X1, no matter how poor their form or even their fitness."

No, it's not. It's Nigel Pearson at Watford.

Who has just been sacked.

Mm, I read that also. At least it sounds like he has a plan and sticks to it.

• Like 1

It seems Watford have an Italian set-up, where the owner is more of a de facto director of football and the coach just supervises the team. And also why managers can get sacked on a whim based on an ideological difference. Although I did hear a rumour it was to welch on Pearson's relegation survival bonus.

If you have the right personnel for these systems then i agree in sticking to even through rough patches it's the only way it gets drilled into them. If it's right it'll work more consistently eventually and you'll come out the other side. 

Constantly swapping and chopping players never mind formation is just counter productive, unless you really just want to get mins on the pitch for as many as possible. The Prem might be a bit different these days but certainly at this level it should be easier to stick to something more balanced that works well.

47 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Never look a gift horse in the mouth, after the Cowleys' surprise sacking I'd snap their hands off and get them in yesterday.

Based on the rumours they left Huddersfield after a disagreement regarding transfer policy. Do you really believe that they would want to work with our owners ?

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Based on the rumours they left Huddersfield after a disagreement regarding transfer policy. Do you really believe that they would want to work with our owners ?

They walked away from a comfortable situation at Lincoln for a bigger challenge, which they aced and were still dismissed. 
So absolutely they would be keen!

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Standard Potato answer, rinse and repeat.

Only the Teeside football messiah can do it i hope there's some good bargains in the club shop in the inevitable closing down sale when he retires.

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

They walked away from a comfortable situation at Lincoln for a bigger challenge, which they aced and were still dismissed. 
So absolutely they would be keen!

Elsewhere on this board posters are talking about the Bank of India calling in loans and the club having to engage in a fire sale of assets. They might not be so keen in those circumstances !

On the general point in a normal situation I think the Cowleys would be an excellent fit for us - but our situation is not normal.

They’ll be sitting pretty by the way.

At Lincoln they had a soaring reputation but they operated in a low expectation environment, so took the hospital pass (but fat contract that goes with it) which is the nosediving, freshly relegated club and turned them round. Can be fatal decisions for up and coming managers.

Safety assured comfortably enough, then fired off, but with reputation enhanced and now financially made for life. 

6 months work. Some occupation!

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Standard Potato answer, rinse and repeat.

Only the Teeside football messiah can do it i hope there's some good bargains in the club shop in the inevitable closing down sale when he retires.

Nonsense 

He didn’t drop in the ‘pHiL bRoWn’ trolling bit 

Amazing how people stick to the ‘who else is there?’ Line but ignore when there are viable alternatives, anyone decent is dismissed in the following categories:

‘Failed at x/y/z’

‘Wouldn’t come here’

‘Wouldn’t work with Venkys’

Ignoring the fact the same people would have probably said the same about any prospective manager during Bowyer / Lambert / Coyles terms. At some point we have to be brave, no appointment would be a guaranteed success but standing still forever is also a recipe for disaster long term

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5