BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

What a wonderful manager we have with his band of players ...no wonder the Venkys are messing him about with the budget ... they see his team play as they come up with all new ways of loosing games then just about when they about to sack him he talks the talk in the aftermatch interview and they forget it all 

Terrible manager with no inkling of his best lineup even on the last game of long season ... 1 step forward 2 back with this manager .... 

• Like 8

Just now, Stuart said:

I‘d go so far as to say that Dack getting injured was the best thing to happen to Armstrong this season.

He will back back out on the left wing once Dack is back.

Assuming he is still here...

He was 90% of the time anyway

King of the cut inside

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But the football was equally mind numbing for large parts of the season. Especially against the teams at the bottom of the league.

But Tyrone we have a new style, better with the ball,  a possession based team . 
We just didn’t have it often enough and there’s some good teams in this league with very good players who can hurt you .

Amazing the noise from the Club is that really we are top 6 contenders ..... we just never got in the top 6 at any point over 46 games . 
its bullsh1t on an epic scale and our ominously very quiet CEO will be writing his ST stretch target as we speak . 
Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe this Club . We’ve got 35 minutes before a load of our players are officially out of contract and nobody at Ewood yet has the faintest clue what our budget is going to be . 
Is this the bit that causes all this excitement for next season ?????

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, unleaded said:

What a wonderful manager we have with his band of players ...no wonder the Venkys are messing him about with the budget ... they see his team play as they come up with all new ways of loosing games then just about when they about to sack him he talks the talk in the aftermatch interview and they forget it all 

Terrible manager with no inkling of his best lineup even on the last game of long season ... 1 step forward 2 back with this manager .... 

We can only hope that the supposed messing about with the budget is because they're contemplating sacking him..........

• Like 1

Yep.

I always said that if Mowbray stayed I would probably renew to whatever the Club eventually  came up with for next season but not bother going to many games as I'd rather enjoy my free time.

That drew some rather odd looks from my better half when I said it most recently yesterday and comments along the lines of why should I pay his wage, so I'm starting to reconsider even that.

I just can't see any hope as long as Mowbray remains in charge.

• Like 1

Mowbray has the aura of a man who knows that he has come to the end of the road and that he has run out of ideas. Sadly despite his claims to be an 'honourable guy' I don't see him walking away. He knows he's onto a cushy number here and his retirement pot will be totalling up nicely.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

Anyone observing Mowbray's body language tonight would see that as a man who had at best a passing interest in the game, perhaps a pre season friendly attitude, and certainly not a man desperate for a win. Contrast to that cretin Jones who spent the entire evening like a rabid dog on the touchline, whereas Mowbray was slouched over the advertising boards and benches like he was on his holidays. Did he even stand up? Was Venus even there?
The most exciting point of the evening was David Lowe's skirmish with Jones at the full time whistle. At last someone showing some passion and anger.

Sadly it just isn't good enough.

Fair do's to Hayden Carter, a good young prospect, but i find it a mixture of bewildering and embarrassing that we are turning up for Championship fixtures with no option but to chuck him into the side. We aren't playing Tosin because we are saving on his wages and we aren't playing Mulgrew because we are trying to force him out (even though the manager handed him a lucrative contract until 2021). Ridiculous. As for Derrick Williams the 'solution' to our CB issues - where on earth is he and what injury has he had?

I don't know where we are going next with this operation which is a shame. I believe we have the ingredients for a play off side - some quality in Dack, Armstrong, yes Gallagher, Trav, Evans, Lenihan, Nyambe - but massive gaping holes in the squad that are here because the manager has failed to fill them. Some canny dealing, organisation and discipline and this group could quite easily be a top 6 side, but that appears to be beyond this outfit, partly due to the owners but also Mowbray living in fairy tale land with his philosophies and beliefs.

'We need to give these young lads games to get them experience' is the cry from the terraces.

No we don't. We need to get ourselves a squad good enough for promotion. Either you are good enough or you aren't. We don't sacrifice our objectives to enable individuals to get game time.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 8

I'd be concerned if anyone has a strong opinion that Mowbray going is a bad decision. It is the correct decision which will not happen.

Does he deserve to go (yes), is it a risk (... grudgingly yes), should he go (YES).

Bottom line is this has been a painfully dull, frustrating and uninspiring last 20 months as a Rovers supporter.

Has there been some good performances and results (a few, yes), have we rivaled paint drying for entertainment/passion for 60-75% of his time in charge (yes), have we wasted a huge chunk of our transfer funds, been soft and naive in the market, and sold and/or marginalised better players we had (Raya, Nyambe, Graham) for no discerning reasons except for clear manager bias (yes).

Do i think the only chance we have of avoiding a relegation dog fight next season, if Mowbray remains manager, is if 6-8 other teams all start on -12 points... yes.

Time to go, YES. NO QUESTION.

I actually find it quite exciting when a new manger comes in.  Yes theres a chance he might fail, but i always hang on to who might come in from the new manager's contacts....hope I think its called.

Mowbray has taken us as far as he can, time for a change.  No hope

Edited by Sparks Rover

From an outsider's perspective, I've always wondered why Mowbray's position isn't more widely discussed. He's spent £15m, correct me if I'm slighly wrong, on strikers yet can't mount a serious play-off push.

Looking at some of the options you have got, a more ambitious and hungry type of manager would probably get more out of them. Mowbray has underachieved in a similar way to Lee Johnson at Bristol City.

Edited by north_ender
  • Like 7

On 03/08/2019 at 17:28, Neal said:

No lessons learned. No possession football. No plan B. No Joe Rothwell. No defence. No defenders signed. No method. No Ryan Nyambe. No positivity. No progress. No idea. 

You're a nice bloke, you've done a good job but this is as far you will take us. Don't ruin your legacy, do the right thing and step aside. Charlton are relegation fodder so what does that make us? 

Go. 

Just look at the first post on this thread by Neal following the first game of the season last August.

Apart from the bit about (pointless) possession football, it could have been written yesterday.

• Like 1

Big questions of the manager imo. Statistically 5% improvement on last season which seems even more negligible when you consider the turnover of players which is about to ensue. No doubt the injury to Dack contributed to the final points total but it’s not been good enough overall. Finishing on 70pts this season would’ve been acceptable to me.

Weve finished exactly where our budget sits but we need to overachieve to be successful. Time for a change? Yeah, seems reasonable to me.

• Like 7

Last night was very interesting.

From bits I saw, Mowbray, IMO, looked very disinterested.  

Was Venus there - someone mentioned they didn't see him?

The normally statuesque Lowe seemed, IMO, to throw a wobbler at the end.

No Mowbray comments that I can see in the LT.

You can but hope that this is the end for Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson.

• Like 2

I don't put much stock into Mowbray words anymore. Defenders are coming - well yes they did but only really in the form of 2 back up loans after he decided to give Mulgrew another go and allow Williams to move to 3 rs choice CH.

We sold the goalie to buy a striker, more words he said that he soon turned on their head when it didn't look the best move.

Transition to possession game has also acted as a convenient excuse too many times this season as well.

God knows what claptrap awaits now. It's a massive test of him this summer but another I expect him to coast.

• Like 3

The goals conceded last night summed up Mowbray demeanour now, half arsed! First goal not fully concentrating, second goal a lazy flick and the third you knew what was going to happen straight away. All so predictable. Nobody has a clue what the owners are going to do, I just hope its without Mowbray.

• Like 1

The real worry for me is that the whole club is becoming stagnant. Mowbray is Mr Average who will probably keep is mid/lower table which some are happy with. His body language and recent interviews have the look and sound of a man who knows he has gone as far as he can. Waggott seems to have a similar intention as he appears to be in his comfort zone at Rovers with essentially errant, uncaring owners who seemingly never question anything. Both Waggott and Mowbray are under no pressure. The supporters are mainly disenchanted and disenfranchised by the whole situation and I firmly believe that season ticket sales will be the lowest for decades and who can blame anybody for not renewing?

But ultimately nothing will change. With the new season less than seven weeks away there appears to be very little planning done on or off the field. Mowbray allegedly doesn't know his budget so can't plan accordingly, season tickets and merchandise aren't yet available but this isn't new to us. Every close season under these owners we have the same issues. 

The elephant is still in the room and whilst it is we are going nowhere.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, cesus said:

The goals conceded last night summed up Mowbray demeanour now, half arsed! First goal not fully concentrating, second goal a lazy flick and the third you knew what was going to happen straight away. All so predictable. Nobody has a clue what the owners are going to do, I just hope its without Mowbray.

We went the 9 games post lockdown without a clean sheet (plus the two matches prior). 

Edited by Mattyblue