Jump to content
Neal

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I certainly agree that they don't make logical appointments.

At the time when he joined I couldn't really separate Coyle from Mowbray, both seemed like desperate yesterdays men that were only hired because they had managed to get somebody promoted to the premier league in the past decade, they had also both made pig's ears of several of there previous jobs.

Mowbray despite what people think of him now, has probably done better than anyone here expected when we joined, pure luck that he was a decent fit at the time.

Of course now I wouldn't put Mowbray in Coyles bracket at all, but I still think that his time here has probably should come to an end.

 

If the next appointment was right and I would have little faith in that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

 

Rovers were 22nd for number of tackles made per game - 14.2

That' s telling. Gone from Mark Hughes' hungry wolves to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We conceded just 9 goals from dead-ball/freekick situations, I think that's a league-best. 

We were best up until Carters misfortune caused by commentators curse.

I'm surprised too.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LDRover said:

I don't know why I go on the Rovers FB pages. Just read a post saying 'our beloved Tony Mowbray'. 

Now I understand there are differing views on his competency in the role but that's giving him almost God-like status - and for what? Stability?

Having recently got back in touch with a friend who is a Rovers fan but not on here i was shocked by how he and his other Rovers mates like TM. Decent football being cited as one thing, honest man of integrity another. Mind you they were also grateful for Venkys support the last few years! 

I do wonder if we generally lost those fans who are critical/demand higher standards from the Venkys fiasco. The Facebook group and my conversation the other day seem to bare this out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would say there’s an element of that, but I would say we’ve just been browbeaten for so long, standards and expectations have dropped. Venky’s biggest legacy is to erase the belief that we should even be the club we were pre Jack in the 80s, i.e. even challenging for promotion.

The group I go to away games with are committed Rovers fans, proper dye in the wool. If we’d have been hammered in the PL days, the pitchforks would’ve been out with them in the boozer after for, say, Allardyce. Now? Just a shrug and another pint...

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://roverschat.com/season-verdict-19-20/

"As a final note, with expectations, what we must remember is that we’ve no given right to be in the top six, and that the Championship is a league that sees plenty of ups and downs over a season, so we should manage our expectations accordingly"

The new breed of post-Venky Rovers fan, happy with a mid-table Championship finish.

Tony 'I hope we get in the Top 6 one day' Mowbray is the perfect manager for these times. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

He is literally deluded and coming out with Kean levels of tripe. I just want him gone I can’t stand him at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

http://roverschat.com/season-verdict-19-20/

"As a final note, with expectations, what we must remember is that we’ve no given right to be in the top six, and that the Championship is a league that sees plenty of ups and downs over a season, so we should manage our expectations accordingly"

The new breed of post-Venky Rovers fan, happy with a mid-table Championship finish.

Tony 'I hope we get in the Top 6 one day' Mowbray is the perfect manager for these times. 

 

 

Justifying our league position by glibly saying that the Championship is the best division on the planet.

Utter bollocks. It's competitive but best, never.

I think that the acceptance of being mediocre in particular permeates the younger element of our remaining fanbase who have little or no memory of life BV. They need to be 20 + to have full recall. Facebook is full of such victims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I would say there’s an element of that, but I would say we’ve just been browbeaten for so long, standards and expectations have dropped. Venky’s biggest legacy is to erase the belief that we should even be the club we were pre Jack in the 80s, i.e. even challenging for promotion.

The group I go to away games with are committed Rovers fans, proper dye in the wool. If we’d have been hammered in the PL days, the pitchforks would’ve been out with them in the boozer after for, say, Allardyce. Now? Just a shrug and another pint...

If Venky’s decided to pull the plug tomorrow, there would be plenty of people saying “you can’t blame them, they have propped us up long enough, look how much they have invested, blah blah” and it would all be the fault of the stay away fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

It's also about pride in yourself and your performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Justifying our league position by glibly saying that the Championship is the best division on the planet.

Utter bollocks. It's competitive but best, never.

I think that the acceptance of being mediocre in particular permeates the younger element of our remaining fanbase who have little or no memory of life BV. They need to be 20 + to have full recall. Facebook is full of such victims.

I was only thinking that the other day. Some of them have never seen a real Rovers team playing with passion, skill and flair. This dross on show at the moment is all they know.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said it before I will say it again we.are.not.getting promoted with Mowbary in charge.  He has no intention of getting promotion.  He will do enough to keep the owners happy.  He us on a cushy number here and promotion would change that.  I think it is time to give DJ a shot.  I have a gut feel he could have this team playing well with a large contingent of our youth that he is familiar with.  A team with a consistent line up, players in their strongest positions playing to their strengths with a single purpose.  I really have a gut feel Damien could do netter for Blackburn Rovers than Mowbary has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/07/2020 at 23:33, AllRoverAsia said:

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

Not bothered?  To me The way I see it is he has actively DE-motivated players.  Travis is one, a real ball of energy who burst on the scene, when he did he really excited me.with his win the ball and burst forward style of play.  Mowbary promptly dropped him as soon as others were available.  Travis upon his return was clearly a different player.  Much more sideways and back.  Brereton is another, obviously a lad with fragile confidence.  Plays a blinder pre season and Mowbary promptly drops him for the kick off.  Chasing a game and needing a goal Mowbary again rubs salt in the wounds by bringing on Buckley instead if him.  At the re.start.with BCD, Ben plays a couple of his nest games only to be promptly dropped to make way for the donkey that is Samuel.  He's done similar with Rothwell and Holtby.

    To continually pick players such as Bennett over others who are better, you don't think players know this what does that do to a player, to play a blinder and be unceremoniously be dropped next game kills confidence and promotes a why bother attitude.  Get rid of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Having recently got back in touch with a friend who is a Rovers fan but not on here i was shocked by how he and his other Rovers mates like TM. Decent football being cited as one thing, honest man of integrity another. Mind you they were also grateful for Venkys support the last few years! 

I do wonder if we generally lost those fans who are critical/demand higher standards from the Venkys fiasco. The Facebook group and my conversation the other day seem to bare this out. 

The club shop are missing a trick here buy not stocking the pinnacle of Venky's crowning glory especially in time for the 10th anniversary of their glorious reign. I imagine 50 quid replicas of the you were not as good as Wigan but at least you tried (a bit) 3rd division runners up trophies would fly off the shelves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 09:35, AllRoverAsia said:

Justifying our league position by glibly saying that the Championship is the best division on the planet.

Utter bollocks. It's competitive but best, never.

I think that the acceptance of being mediocre in particular permeates the younger element of our remaining fanbase who have little or no memory of life BV. They need to be 20 + to have full recall. Facebook is full of such victims.

The Championship is much lauded as being ‘highly competitive’ but it could just as easily be described as ‘highly inconsistent’.

In this division, teams get promoted with the momentum of stringing good runs of form together. This happens when you keep the same team week after week, with some quality off the bench when needed.

Managers who build this kind of team rightly get the plaudits but it is the approach that gets promotion to the PL.

Conversely L1 is about having the best squad, and the slog of attritional football. Mowbray was successful with this but seems to think he can use this same tactic in the Championship.

It’s interesting the parallels with Smallwood Smallwood as a player is a cameo of Mowbray as a manager. Respectable and successful in L1 but not up to the required standard at the next level. (Even Mowbray Mk1 knew what was needed when he fired West Brom up as Champions but has since regressed). Now that Smallwood has gone everyone agrees that his level was L1 and the same will be said about Mowbray.

Right now it feels as though we have a test match batsman trying to win at Twenty-20. Yes, he might stay in and steadily get runs but that isn’t what’s needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't help but feel the man himself is frustrated with the situation but is more than happy to 'put up and shut up' for the generous Coin he is receiving...he and Waggott know when their Bread is buttered.We are set to be in this mid table mediocrity for some time to come.

There will be no promotion with the present incumbents in charge.I find Mowbray dour and uninspiring as a manager and its reflected in his team at times.

Edited by A Northern Horde...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final 10 games of the Season so covers all BCD, the ones Mowbray referred to as training games.

If you look at the full table in the Link you can see those who took them more seriously, Cardiff and Swansea as prime examples.

What gets to me is that PNE are still above us in the ''poo'' league at the bottom.

:red_card: to Mowbray.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/form-guide/ten

 

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Final 10 games of the Season so covers all BCD, the ones Mowbray referred to as training games.

If you look at the full table in the Link you can see those who took them more seriously, Cardiff and Swansea as prime examples.

What gets to me is that PNE are still above us in the ''poo'' league at the bottom.

:red_card: to Mowbray.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/form-guide/ten

 

Capture.PNG

I suspect that could be the league position we end up in next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day he's proven to not be a man of his word. 

He's not walked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suspect that could be the league position we end up in next season.

When we were relegated to L1 plenty said that if PPG during Mowbrays time, 15 or so games, was applied to a full season we would have been fine.

On the back of that sort of logic and despite the relegation Mowbray got the gig full time. With the, fortunate to Mowbray, removal of Paul Senior, Mowbray then took full control of the playing side and soon got his mate in as CEO or similar.

Now he's so much of a fixture that he runs the show and seemingly immune from proper questioning by his supposed peers at Ewood or the local "bought" media.

His attitude to BCD in words and his demeanour contributed to our end of season failure.

I didn't want him from Day 1 and nothing has changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

At the end of the day he's proven to not be a man of his word. 

He's not walked.

Did he say he would if we didn’t get to 70 points?

Genuinely missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have learned that Mowbray mistakes are costing us at least 12 points a season from his 2.3 seasons in the Championship with us.

No way will we get a team good enough to overcome that inherent handicap.

Wake me up when Mowbray is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Did he say he would if we didn’t get to 70 points?

Genuinely missed that.

He said he'd leave if he ever felt he was holding the club back.

That bridge has been crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suspect that could be the league position we end up in next season.

I have always been under the impression , that Rovers as a club , didnt really want the restart , quite happy for the season to end in March whatever date it was...

Seeing , the table confirms my view..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.