Neal

Tony Mowbray Discussion

11 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I know hope springs eternal but having watched the Bournemouth game I have to say I like the new system which is quite a radical departure from where we were for most of last season, we've actually got quite a lot of good attacking players, so am interested to see if Tony and the team have turned a corner. 

Desperately needs some quality defenders though or it's all for naught.

Joey, for all our attacking prowess we had two shots on goal on Saturday. One I could have kept out.

Mowbray in LT on Newcastle:

“We’ll go to Newcastle and do what we did against Bournemouth, ask questions of them, play on the front foot and see whether they can live with the intensity we’re trying to find.”

I really do think our manager is delusional and has lost the plot.

Just now, Mercer said:

“We’ll go to Newcastle and do what we did against Bournemouth, ask questions of them, play on the front foot and see whether they can live with the intensity we’re trying to find.”

All of the above, then lose.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I think to be honest you are dammed if you do or dammed if you don't at the moment. He's trying something new, it looked pretty good against Bournemouth, let's see how it goes next few games.

Prefer that to just hiding away with a defensive game.

Performance was ok, I think a side like Bournemouth will always allow you to play a bit of football though so we probably looked a bit better than we probably are.

Still, we only had two shots on target in the whole game, and we still conceded 3.

So nothing new really one game in.

Still though, I'm more intrigued to see how we go next week against Wycombe who will probably sit in, and look to pick us off with set pieces a bit like Luton did at Ewood last season.

Edited by MarkBRFC

44 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think to be honest you are dammed if you do or dammed if you don't at the moment. He's trying something new, it looked pretty good against Bournemouth, let's see how it goes next few games.

Prefer that to just hiding away with a defensive game.

This.

37 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Performance was ok, I think a side like Bournemouth will always allow you to play a bit of football though so we probably looked a bit better than we probably are.

Still, we only had two shots on target in the whole game, and we still conceded 3.

So nothing new really one game in.

Still though, I'm more intrigued to see how we go next week against Wycombe who will probably sit in, and look to pick us off with set pieces a bit like Luton did at Ewood last season.

I agree I think that's where having a flexible approach could help. If a team sits in going 4231 or 4411 could help using whoever is at  the 10 role to unlock.

But then I suppose if they sit back we can still press them hard in 433 and get them to make mistakes and turn over the ball.

I know they're a trillion times better than us, but Liverpool hardly struggled to break teams down in a 433, they were just relentless.

I guess we will just see how it works. Probably other teams will work out best thing against us, no matter the vaguries of the formation, is to just hoof it as we are so weak under a high ball or running back towards our goal.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

If he comes out and does not make a bullish statement before a game he has been criticised; now if he comes out and does make a bullish statement he is getting criticised for that ! Things are just getting silly.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Steve Bruce team talk: "We should get a hatful against their crap defence but watch out for their intensity"

He’s probably saying this so he has an excuse to go back to long balls to Gallagher in the wing when we get beaten again 🙄

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

I seem to remember Souness losing the plot a bit before leaving... One can only hope. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I seem to remember Souness losing the plot a bit before leaving... One can only hope. 

souness lost the plot by falling out with everyone and offering them all out,hard to imagine mowbray going beserk and pinning bennett to the dressing room wall☺️

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

souness lost the plot by falling out with everyone and offering them all out,hard to imagine mowbray going beserk and pinning bennett to the dressing room wall☺️

True! But he could start playing him up front like Dino Baggio :lol: