Jump to content
Neal

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Busted flush 

More busted than TM was ?  or Coyle, Lambert ???

Our shopping is done down that alley i'm afraid when it comes to managers.

 

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yep. Tony seemingly ignoring those weaknesses too. He’s playing the long game here, getting a good 5 years out of us at least without any pressure whatsoever. He should be sacked for not improving the defence 

Our summer business was bizarre and displayed no real cohesion in regards a strategy. RB and CB both still need strengthening and we need better quality up front (yep 12m spent and we still lack a goal scorer). I'd also like another midfielder to support Travis n Johnson as Smallwood and Evans are not good enough for our aspirations. It's a shame as he's been well supported financially, given our debt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/08/2019 at 10:11, arbitro said:

That doesn't justify anything. We want the best for our club so what's wrong with criticism if somebody feels it's justified.

By the way the elephant is still in the room you know.

My feelings exactly.

There are many, who have felt at various moments that "other" fans didn't /wouldn't /couldn't be arsed to support protests. The most recent one I remember was the joint one at the Blackpool FA Cup game, when Rovers fans were outnumbered by 'pool fans.

In the early Kean days, if you were not on social media/sites like BRFCS etc, the enormity just wasn't apparent from the old reliables like the LT. I think we also have to say early protesters were not successful at spreading their message across the fanbase. That was at least part of the equation.

After all these years, we may forget. However,  it is a quantum leap from normal, lifelong, passionate club loyalty to a psychological, emotional, rational position, where you are crystal clear that those running your club are wanting to do it harm.

Note to self: any form of divide and rule-condescension, dismissal, keyboard hostility between supporters-is ultimately bad for our future.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wants 2 points per game, a tall order for anyone but we've been on good runs before and if he truly believes he has a stronger side than last season then it should be doable.

However i'll chalk it off as just more bold words to appease the indifferent start until it's proved different.  I think he's a safe 1.5 points per game man over a season, every season and i don't see that altering even if he signed Lionel Messi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dr X said:

Our summer business was bizarre and displayed no real cohesion in regards a strategy. RB and CB both still need strengthening and we need better quality up front (yep 12m spent and we still lack a goal scorer). I'd also like another midfielder to support Travis n Johnson as Smallwood and Evans are not good enough for our aspirations. It's a shame as he's been well supported financially, given our debt.

Bizarre and infuriating. He clearly wasn't supported in team objectives, while BB seems to have been foisted on him as an...investment(!), at the expense of solving glaring, long standing problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Bizarre and infuriating. He clearly wasn't supported in team objectives, while BB seems to have been foisted on him as an...investment(!), at the expense of solving glaring, long standing problems.

Hmmm. Who's picking the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Hmmm. Who's picking the team?

"We have got defenders, who won't head a ball/ defenders are coming" etc" seems a pretty clear diagnosis and treatment plan by Doctor Mowbray.

So what do you think happened in the summer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

"We have got defenders, who won't head a ball/ defenders are coming" etc" seems a pretty clear diagnosis and treatment plan by Doctor Mowbray.

So what do you think happened in the summer?

"Masters, can we have some money to spend on defenders?"

"No." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

"Masters, can we have some money to spend on defenders?"

"No." 

"Masters, I know you are humble people, who want to spend even more.lol.

Is your point that on the refusal, he should have walked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
On 31/08/2019 at 12:00, Stuart said:

And we won...

Although ironically it probably kept Kean in the job longer. Had we lost, “fans” would have blamed protesters.

Also disappointing were the lack of numbers who took part in the walkout. That was a real opportunity to make our feelings known in front of the cameras. (And another point gained).

I have now formed the opinion that this is a fallacy-like the one that says Kean would have gone, if we had lost at Old Trafford.

Venky's had given him an extended contract (I think) and they never even sacked him, even after we had gone down.

Bloody Hell, he had to resign and claim constructive dismissal! They were never going to sack him. We, as fans should not take (or give to other fans) the responsibility for Kean staying on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

"Masters, I know you are humble people, who want to spend even more.lol.

Is your point that on the refusal, he should have walked?

If I was him I wouldn't walk tbh. I think at the end of last season he probably genuinely did want to spend money on defenders, but then found after his meetings in India that for whatever reason there wasn't going to be the budget for that beyond a loan and a couple of freebies. So instead the money went on Gallagher who I assume met whatever the criteria was in the budget for a significant fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I have now formed the opinion that this is a fallacy-like the one that says Kean would have gone, if we had lost at Old Trafford.

Venky's had given him an extended contract (I think) and they never even sacked him, even after we had gone down.

Bloody Hell, he had to resign and claim constructive dismissal! They were never going to sack him. We, as fans should not take (or give to other fans) the responsibility for Kean staying on.

You’re right. I should probably have said “extended the support for Kean from certain sections of the fanbase”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

You’re right. I should probably have said “extended the support for Kean from certain sections of the fanbase”.

Oh, fair enough. I agree with that one.

 Venky's can take no credit for getting rid of him...which is very scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/1172076/2019/08/30/mowbray-exclusive-im-a-romantic-albion-fans-wanted-a-swashbuckling-team-but-im-more-pragmatic-now/

Behind a paywall, but a nice article on Mowbray, written by The Athletic's West Brom beat writer, so largely reflects on his time there.

(Nothing necessarily 'new' in there, so not worth a subscription haha... The Athletic's recently expanded their PL coverage and cover a few Championship sides now too, but no Rovers-dedicated reporter just yet! I'm more a subscriber due to their hockey coverage anyway)

Edited by RoverCanada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

https://theathletic.com/1172076/2019/08/30/mowbray-exclusive-im-a-romantic-albion-fans-wanted-a-swashbuckling-team-but-im-more-pragmatic-now/

Behind a paywall, but a nice article on Mowbray, written by The Athletic's West Brom beat writer, so largely reflects on his time there.

(Nothing necessarily 'new' in there, so not worth a subscription haha... The Athletic's recently expanded their PL coverage and cover a few Championship sides now too, but no Rovers-dedicated reporter just yet! I'm more a subscriber due to their hockey coverage anyway)

Just so we are clear. He is no longer the manager who got West Brom promoted to the PL as Champions (and FA Cup semi-finalists) because he has moved away from a (successful) ethos of free-flowing attacking football in favour of (unsuccessful) pragmatism?

Yay. 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

"He ripped up a whole team and started again from near scratch".

NO, he did not

Too right, only lost a few, and are the likes of Jason Lowe a true loss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/09/2019 at 11:24, Leonard Venkhater said:

I have now formed the opinion that this is a fallacy-like the one that says Kean would have gone, if we had lost at Old Trafford.

Venky's had given him an extended contract (I think) and they never even sacked him, even after we had gone down.

Bloody Hell, he had to resign and claim constructive dismissal! They were never going to sack him. We, as fans should not take (or give to other fans) the responsibility for Kean staying on.

He had a clause in his contract that eluded to a bonus that would have been paid, had we ended up in league one under him. It shows what was going on at the club at the time, although of course, it could have been without the knowledge of the owners, who some supporters consider, were badly advised. 

Edited by lraC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Kean the man of relegation bonuses and not one but two wages on his contract, just where was that extra few million per annum really going ?

Bad advice ?  Stitch up ?  or wilful blind eyes being turned ?

Either way they were all responsible and the majority of that was with the owners.  One almighty cock up for sure but there was a lot more at play than meets the naked outside eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Steve Kean the man of relegation bonuses and not one but two wages on his contract, just where was that extra few million per annum really going ?

Bad advice ?  Stitch up ?  or wilful blind eyes being turned ?

Either way they were all responsible and the majority of that was with the owners.  One almighty cock up for sure but there was a lot more at play than meets the naked outside eye.

It may seem like small potatoes the money that was stolen from the club, by people who were paid millions for a job they were not up to. The managers, the players and the agents all had their noses  in the trough. Ultimately those lost millions can have a few noughts added on to the end, as it was this wilful neglect that caused the demise. We would not be having the debate of Mowbray in or out right now, as it would never have come to this, had the owners looked after their baby as promised and respected the legacy of Jack walker, as they also promised.

Badly advised, my ar5e. 

Edited by lraC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lraC said:

It may seem like small potatoes the money that was stolen from the club, by people who were paid millions for a job they were not up to. The managers, the players and the agents all had their noses  in the trough. Ultimately those lost millions can have a few noughts added on to the end, as it was this wilful neglect that caused the demise. We would not be having the debate of Mowbray in or out right now, as it would never have come to this, had the owners looked after their baby as promised and respected the legacy of Jack walker, as they also promised.

Badly advised, my ar5e. 

I'll never trust Barry and his pals but iv'e a grain of sympathy for the other family who were probably hoodwinked from all angles. However then you think about the ignorance of we know better, the arrogance and of course wilful neglect and blind stupidity and that grain disappears i'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

I'll never trust Barry and his pals but iv'e a grain of sympathy for the other family who were probably hoodwinked from all angles. However then you think about the ignorance of we know better, the arrogance and of course wilful neglect and blind stupidity and that grain disappears i'm afraid.

Barry and his high fives in the directors box with the super agent, is a sight that I will never get out of my mind. Yes I am sure the other family members were a little bit further away from the source of the trouble, although Madame read a script from someone about wanting entertaining football, as she wouldn't know the shape and the size of the ball, I wouldn't have thought. 

Edited by lraC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lraC said:

Barry and his high fives in the directors box with the super agent, is a sight that I will never get out of my mind. Yes I am sure the other family members were a little bit further away from the source of the trouble, although Madame read a script from someone about wanting entertaining football, as she wouldn't know the shape and the size of the ball, I wouldn't have thought. 

Well, it's all in the past, so move on Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Well, it's all in the past, so move on Lol

"Badly advised" FFS!

"Get behind the lads" blah, blah, blah.

Edited by MCMC1875

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

"Badly advised" blah, blah, blah.

"Get behind the lads FFS!"

Oh dear.

 

I don’t see why it’s so difficult to think of it as a rich family who knew nothing about football, easily ripped off by “fixers”.

Yet plenty of Blackburn folk find that “badly advised” upsetting weirdly.

Oh, and regardless of what happens MC, will be behind the lads come rain or shine, and certainly won’t be using the term “boycott” because I simply don’t enjoy a lesser league..! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.