BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Look at what I said properly. 

"If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings."

"Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. "

Questions need to help if we can achieve this season and does Mowbray have the ability to achieve this target. 

Like I said I dont see Hughton coming anywhere near Blackburn Rovers. His wages are well above what we pay out. Plus he turned down Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday.

Bowyer,.another one I canf see anywhere near us. 

Questions need to be asked over recruitment this summer and Brereton transfer. 

All down to what Venkys want this season. 

Some of us were asking questions about the recruitment of the strikers at the time and got slagged off for being " negative ".

• Like 4

Look at what I said properly. 

"If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings."

"Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. "

Questions need to help if we can achieve this season and does Mowbray have the ability to achieve this target. 

Like I said I dont see Hughton coming anywhere near Blackburn Rovers. His wages are well above what we pay out. Plus he turned down Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday.

Bowyer,.another one I canf see anywhere near us. 

Questions need to be asked over recruitment this summer and Brereton transfer. 

All down to what Venkys want this season. 

I know, but before the game you was suggesting that you have seen improvements in our style of play and its effectiveness with each game, and rejecting suggestions that our football is drab and boring. You also said a couple of days ago that you felt that top 6 was realistic and that we had a chance. Can you see how a sudden defiance that a managerial change is the way to go is a little confusing as to the quick change of heart. Albeit I do agree with you. My reservations have been simmering for a bit.

Lee Bowyer is working with peanuts and whilst Charlton are above us his job security is dependant on the mood of an incredibly volatile owner. (Ours more scream dormant and disenterested at the moment) He nearly was let go in the summer. He would have better job security and more money to work with here. Id rather we at least tried for someone like that, an appointment with ambition, before going for one of Adkins, Karanka, Rowett etc.

I do think that Mowbray has blown 12m on 2 total duds but I doubt Venkys care enough to question such specific issues. I dont think Mowbray is under any pressure in that I think Venkys are idiots and Waggott is his mate.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Some of us were asking questions about the recruitment of the strikers at the time and got slagged off for being " negative ".

Why didnt Mowbray buy a centre half like Jansson? (This summer)

He wanted Gallagher last summer and went back for him even tho we had Brereton. 

Questions for Mowbray to asked at fans forum. 

Why didnt Mowbray buy a centre half like Jansson? (This summer)

He wanted Gallagher last summer and went back for him even tho we had Brereton. 

Questions for Mowbray to asked at fans forum. 

To be fair, you defended all of these decisions and have done up until today. Fair play for having the flexibility to change your mind but of course people will question what has suddenly proved the catalyst.

• Like 3

Can we fast forward to May please? It's going to be an awfully predictable excuse of a season. Sounds from the optimistic "real fans" Telegraph that the righteous Tony is losing a few. Matter of time. Can't see him walking with his mate in charge but you never know what pressure does (and half the dressing room-the good half?). Kudos for those who went today. Admire your tenacity.

9 hours ago, Burrells Boy said:

Moyes lives in Lytham, so maybe up for a challenge!

Although he would be up there in Mrs D's eyes for the support he gave her ❤️ little stevie,  will be expensive though with having to have another manager with him to take charge in the second half of games after he has walked out because somebody in a crowd of supporters who he had strong views on,  criticised a bad pass or something.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Mowbray has been very fortunate to be given a decent budget every year without being forced to sell a single player - even when we went down to League 1. For him to be throwing away both our budget and our chances of getting anywhere again this season is simply unacceptable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I know, but before the game you was suggesting that you have seen improvements in our style of play and its effectiveness with each game, and rejecting suggestions that our football is drab and boring. You also said a couple of days ago that you felt that top 6 was realistic and that we had a chance.

Yes I have seen a change in style and us playing much more of passing game. 

If you seen the game you will know that our final third play for majority of game was awful. When we deliver quality we scored or created problems. Also defending like we had yesterday will see us nowhere near top 6. 

Play like we did yesterday and we aren't getting top 6. simple as. 

Question is what are the owners thinking atm and who would pick the next manager Waggott or Pasha or both? 

Lee Bowyer is working with peanuts and whilst Charlton are above us his job security is dependant on the mood of an incredibly volatile owner. (Ours more scream dormant and disenterested at the moment) He nearly was let go in the summer. He would have better job security and more money to work with here. Id rather we at least tried for someone like that, an appointment with ambition, before going for one of Adkins, Karanka, Rowett etc.

Charlton owner is in talks with a possible new owner and I don't see him leaving them for us. Simple as. 

Rowett is 1st choice at Millwall to replace Harris. 

Like I said to you before I'm unsure who I would appoint if we had an vacancy in the manager seat. I have spoken about us changing our football structure to a more of European structure with a sporting director/head coach like Norwich and Villa have. Plus also who would the manager/head coach bring in as his coaching staff is also important

I dont think Mowbray is under any pressure

well I'm never seen Mowbray the way he was yesterday with the press

To be fair, you defended all of these decisions and have done up until today. Fair play for having the flexibility to change your mind but of course people will question what has suddenly proved the catalyst.

yet again mate, I had no problem with the Gallagher signing but like I did say at the time to you that Mowbray 1st priorities this summer should have been Centre back, Keeper and Full back. Not a striker. 

55 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Reading Sharpe’s verdict piece, he alludes to the fact that TM was vert short with the press after the game.

Man under pressure? 

I think that is pointing to a man under pressure or a man is getting fed up with the players not doing their jobs properly defensively

TM's policy has always been that we would improve at glacial speed over several years, getting gradually stronger until we had the squad to get promoted.

Its a cruel hoax he's perpetrated. No other manager has never come out with that one before to my knowledge at our club.

Most managers seize the moment when it comes, toss any plans away and go for it.

Teams invariably surprise you, they come from nowhere to promotion, they don't have 4/5/7 Year plans.

What's missing above all at Ewood is a sense of urgency. We need a manager who is only interested in success asap, who embraces the challenge and who challenges his players to be better than they thought they could be and buy in to his vision of success. Seriously when did Rovers "play our of their skins"? When did we last excite the fans?

Its all too easy. too complacent, watching crowds shrink every season. We 've been out of the Premier league for nearly a decade now because we have never had a manager or owners who were up for the challenge.

My favourite to do it would be Hughes but then we come up against the owners.

• Like 8

Interesting to hear him immediately say that Cunningham wouldn’t be be going on international duty but admitted he had “no idea” what was wrong with him having “not spoken to the physios”. Could be a mini-club-v-country-row in the offing!

Seemed to be under some illusion that we could have scored more goals and that we were undone by a team playing in the break after absorbing our first half attacking style. Very defensive and dismissive.

The worry - aside from not bringing in a goal scorer (despite being more than able to afford one) was always injuries to defenders. We may now have that problem coming back to bite Mowbray.

“I you know anything about football...”

Why does he say “transition” instead of counter-attack?

Why does he talk about defending and attacking like it’s one of the other? Other teams manage to do both - it isn’t rocket science to we don’t need tacti-babble.

When we decided to abandon our defensive shape in search for goals (at 1-0 down and despite taking off our goalscorer) he blamed our defenders for not dealing with the situation. So he doesn’t trust his defence and has to use midfielders to bolster it which neutralises our attacking ability? Is that really what he is saying? It seems as though midfield is the only area to focus on. Maybe if he had done some proper recruitment in defence instead of lopping chunks off it they might be able to come better. Interesting too that Damien Johnson is the one who appears to have been asked to look after the defence. A future scapegoat?

We need better ideas, better mentality, better “character”, better recruitment and positive football, not just positive talk. If Mowbray can’t make those changes then he has to make way for someone who can.

Just now, Stuart said:

“I you know anything about football...”

Why does he say “transition” instead of counter-attack?

Why does he talk about defending and attacking like it’s one of the other? Other teams manage to do both - it isn’t rocket science to we don’t need tacti-babble.

When we decided to abandon our defensive shape in search for goals (at 1-0 down and despite taking off our goalscorer) he blamed our defenders for not dealing with the situation. So he doesn’t trust his defence and has to use midfielders to bolster it which neutralises our attacking ability? Is that really what he is saying? It seems as though midfield is the only area to focus on. Maybe if he had done some proper recruitment in defence instead of lopping chunks off it they might be able to come better. Interesting too that Damien Johnson is the one who appears to have been asked to look after the defence. A future scapegoat?

We need better ideas, better mentality, better “character”, better recruitment and positive football, not just positive talk. If Mowbray can’t make those changes then he has to make way for someone who can.

Yeah, he sounded like a footballing dinosaur in his analysis of the game. Whether he was condescending to the interviewer or what, I don't know but his tactical awareness would seem to suggest otherwise.

Just now, Stuart said:

Interesting too that Damien Johnson is the one who appears to have been asked to look after the defence. A future scapegoat?

Johnson does the defensive warm ups before the game but he isnt responsibiliy for that rubbish display

Just now, Stuart said:

Any names for this type of manager or has he been mention on here? 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Stuart said:
Seemed to be under some illusion that we could have scored more goals and that we were undone by a team playing in the break after absorbing our first half attacking style. 

Must have been a very unique attacking style that saw us register 0 shots on or off target.

Just now, DE. said:

Must have been a very unique attacking style that saw us register 0 shots on or off target.

To play that system we need that young lad Own Goal back who was our leading scorer earlier in the season , get him signed 

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 3

Any names for this type of manager or has he been mention on here? 

Not sure why you do this. It’s as though you are trying to prove that Mowbray is the only option.

We should absolutely be sounding out Mark Hughes with a view to a change before the January window opens.

Just now, Stuart said:

Not sure why you do this. It’s as though you are trying to prove that Mowbray is the only option.

We should absolutely be sounding out Mark Hughes with a view to a change before the January window opens.

Not trying to prove anything at all Stuart 

Ive been honest that im unsure who I would appoint if Mowbray was to go..

Fair enough suggestion

• Like 1

Billy Davies has a decent record at this level but he hasn't managed for five years so maybe he's spent?

Anyway, there's the likes of Moyes, Sparky, Pearson, Adkins, Coleman. A decent shortlist to start with. Although we'll probably bob along with ToMo to see how bad it can get.