BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I was going to mention before we seem to be in the phase with TM now Preston were with Grayson a few years ago.

It you really want to aim for promotion you've got to source and recruit a manager with that kind of drive otherwise if you want to stay safe and have an outside shot of a once in a decade good season you stay with the Mowbrays. Graysons etc etc

The ones running, owning, stakeholding in Rovers and their advisers aren't capable of that because it might involve actually poaching a good manger from somewhere and paying a bit of compen.  Also those on the ground here running it wouldn't want that they've got a cushty little number going being an average championship club with minimal risk.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

I was going to mention before we seem to be in the phase with TM now Preston were with Grayson a few years ago.

It you really want to aim for promotion you've got to source and recruit a manager with that kind of drive otherwise if you want to stay safe and have an outside shot of a once in a decade good season you stay with the Mowbrays. Graysons etc etc

The ones running, owning, stakeholding in Rovers and their advisers aren't capable of that because it might involve actually poaching a good manger from somewhere and paying a bit of compen.  Also those on the ground here running it wouldn't want that they've got a cushty little number going being an average championship club with minimal risk.

RE your last sentence Tom. If you try and stand still in this game your end up going backwards, rapidly.

Just now, tomphil said:

Agree with most of this including the example but wouldn't overall lump Grayson with TM. Grayson has 4 promotions to his name which is significantly more than TM. Seems to have faltered a bit in his last role or two mind but overall a pretty impressive CV. 

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Preston and Burnley unfortunately two clubs with some forward thinking and foresight. Grayson and Howe both did decent jobs there and delivered mid table Championship football without really threatening the top end. Both were poached and enticed away by bigger clubs. Rather than allow that misfortune to send them into decline they used the opportunity to progress and go one better by finding, unfortunately, gems who were both unemployed and on the scrap heap after being sacked from Norwich and Watford.

A bit of patience, honesty, proper organisation and support for the manager working under a traditional no nonsense board of directors and the results are there for all to see.

They didn't spend their lives bullshitting fans about unrealistic targets or hiding behind every excuse going. Just got on with it.

Can you imagine the people running this club having the gumption to appoint a gem of a manager. Last time round they stumbled across Mowbray who to be fair rebuilt his reputation and helped the owners out massively with overall good results. Prior to that they entrusted a managerial search to Mike Cheston and Suhail Pasha who between them turned Neil Warnock down and opted for Owen Coyle after interviewing the likes of Neil Redfearn, Russell Slade and Warren Joyce. Frightening.

At least we've now got Steve Waggott who of course was nothing at all to do with Mowbray being here and being popular with the owners.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Preston and Burnley unfortunately two clubs with some forward thinking and foresight. Grayson and Howe both did decent jobs there and delivered mid table Championship football without really threatening the top end. Both were poached and enticed away by bigger clubs. Rather than allow that misfortune to send them into decline they used the opportunity to progress and go one better by finding, unfortunately, gems who were both unemployed and on the scrap heap after being sacked from Norwich and Watford.

A bit of patience, honesty, proper organisation and support for the manager working under a traditional no nonsense board of directors and the results are there for all to see.

They didn't spend their lives bullshitting fans about unrealistic targets or hiding behind every excuse going. Just got on with it.

Can you imagine the people running this club having the gumption to appoint a gem of a manager. Last time round they stumbled across Mowbray who to be fair rebuilt his reputation and helped the owners out massively with overall good results. Prior to that they entrusted a managerial search to Mike Cheston and Suhail Pasha who between them turned Neil Warnock down and opted for Owen Coyle after interviewing the likes of Neil Redfearn, Russell Slade and Warren Joyce. Frightening.

At least we've now got Steve Waggott who of course was nothing at all to do with Mowbray being here and being popular with the owners.

Its on record that Cheston went on holiday after the interviews after settling on Warnock with the aid of Lamberts coaching staff. Other dark forces then binned all of that off and appointed Coyle. Those forces are still out there connected with our club. 

All in my humble opinion of course. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

Prior to that they entrusted a managerial search to Mike Cheston and Suhail Pasha who between them turned Neil Warnock down and opted for Owen Coyle after interviewing the likes of Neil Redfearn, Russell Slade and Warren Joyce. Frightening.

Wasnt Cheston on holiday when Coyle was appoint? Seems to remember that. 

Wasnt the job Warnock until someone at the club suggest Coyle? Didnt Coyle say he met Balaji before getting the job? 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Wasnt Cheston on holiday when Coyle was appoint? Seems to remember that. 

Wasnt the job Warnock until someone at the club suggest Coyle? Didnt Coyle say he met Balaji before getting the job? 

He was also the only active board member at the time. Why would he go on holiday before a manager was appointed.

Just now, Mark corrigan said:

I would keep mowbray tbh. Blackburn are not a big enough team to survive in the premiership so I'm quite happy in the championship.  The venkys have already appointed stevie Kean and coyle . At least old Tony won't get the team relegated.

Are Burnley "big enough" to survive in the Premier League? Or Bournemouth, Watford etc?

What an odd comment.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He was also the only active board member at the time. Why would he go on holiday before a manager was appointed.

Sent on holiday i'd imagine although probably totally powerless to stop it anyway.

As been said many times Blackburn is a small town surrounded by lots of other clubs, some of them huge clubs. Bournemouth don't have this situation, Burnley survive due to dyche. 

Do you really want to spend every other week getting hammered with a full darwen end singing your support is rubbish?

Not for me thanks.

I would keep mowbray tbh. Blackburn are not a big enough team to survive in the premiership so I'm quite happy in the championship.  The venkys have already appointed stevie Kean and coyle . At least old Tony won't get the team relegated.

It's not ALL about being in the Premier league you know.

Blackburn? You're not a Rovers fan then? Preston perhaps?

4 posts so far, 2 on this 2 on Brexit and all very provocative.   :rock:

• Like 3

You ever get the sense that some clubs are just 'broken'? Probably something of an understatement with our clowns in charge, I know. In recent years, other clubs like Sunderland and Stoke have all appointed experienced, bright managers who turned everything they touched to dust. This is in no way an attempt to absolve Mowbray of responsibility, especially as he's received more financial backing than previous incumbents. You might argue that was his reward for winning promotion and establishing us back in the Championship. He still must carry the can for the schoolboy tactics and dubious transfer strategies which threaten to stagnate our progress. However, whenever we speculate about the managers we could attract, I can't shake the gnawing feeling that no matter who comes through the door they are doomed to fail.

• Like 7

Just now, Amo said:

You ever get the sense that some clubs are just 'broken'? Probably something of an understatement with our clowns in charge, I know. In recent years, other clubs like Sunderland and Stoke have all appointed experienced, bright managers who turned everything they touched to dust. This is in no way an attempt to absolve Mowbray of responsibility, especially as he's received more financial backing than previous incumbents. You might argue that was his reward for winning promotion and establishing us back in the Championship. He still must carry the can for the schoolboy tactics and dubious transfer strategies which threaten to stagnate our progress. However, whenever we speculate about the managers we could attract, I can't shake the gnawing feeling that no matter who comes through the door they are doomed to fail.

Yes I think so, Sunderland being the prime example. They got through a ton of managers, some of whom had been good before and since their stints there, yet it never has worked out for them. All those managers can't be naff. 

I would add perhaps it goes in periods rather than forever - for example for quite a while I thought Sheff Utd would fall into this category as a number of managers failed to get them promoted out of league 1, but they seem to be doing alright now! So perhaps it happens in spells? 

But yeah, our structure is atrocious and is going to hinder any manager even if it is just a sluggishness in the transfer market and zero pressure not helping to push the manager onwards. 

• Like 3

In this day and age with all the responsibilities of management a manager needs help. He needs to be able to focus his time and energy on coaching, training and management. He shouldn't be the glue that holds it all together and shouldn't be the central figure who leads the operation. He is an employee. A very important one, but not the only one with influence and power.

It seems to me we are back to the days of the manager being effectively manager of the club rather than manager of the first team. Venkys seem to like that. Good for them. It's their money. But I don't believe it is really workable in the 21st century when you look around and see how other clubs operate. We are miles behind that.

14 minutes ago, Mark corrigan said:

How is that provocative? I am a fan bit I don't live in Blackburn. If someone asks me who I support and I say rovers, they won't have a clue who I'm on about.

Actually they do. I always say Rovers and people generally know because we are the original and most successful

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Mark corrigan said:

Do you really want to spend every other week getting hammered with a full darwen end singing your support is rubbish?

Not for me thanks.

Do you follow our fortunes at all closely? Because that’s not a million miles from our current scenario.

For the record, I would take a season in the Premier League, gaining zero points and scoring zero goals and being relegated by Christmas - because it would give us financial security and a possible end to Venky purgatory. 

We are currently losing millions every year just to maintain mid table mediocrity in the Championship. It can’t continue indefinitely. The only way we can substantially increase revenue is promotion. If we cut costs we get relegated.

• Like 4

What is it about the last seven managerial appointments - seven! - made by we know not who, that makes anyone think the likes of Hughton, Hughes, Moyes etc will be appearing on a short list? The least worst two of the seven were the youth team manager and a bloke who lost ten in a row at a 4th Division basket case club. Day-to-day running of the club has been bestowed upon an agent, a Malaysian tv pundit, the programme editor, a shelf salesman and the manager’s mate. So yes, let’s roll those dice! Think big!

31 minutes ago, Mark corrigan said:

How is that provocative? I am a fan bit I don't live in Blackburn. If someone asks me who I support and I say rovers, they won't have a clue who I'm on about.

It's a strange comment, because Rovers held their own for 17 years out of the first 19 years of the Premiership. 11 of those years being years without Uncle Jack.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mark corrigan said:

As been said many times Blackburn is a small town surrounded by lots of other clubs, some of them huge clubs. Bournemouth don't have this situation, Burnley survive due to dyche. 

Not for me thanks.

Another strange comment, I presume you didn't attend Ewood in those premiership years. The atmosphere at ewood was rocking on occasions, a lot of opposition managers and pundits said it was one of the hardest away games for the big teams.

7 minutes ago, Mark corrigan said:

Good for you pal. The fact is though that 99.99 percent of people outside the town refer to the club as Blackburn. I'm not going to change what I call the team to appease somebody on an internet forum.

In the current situation it's irrelevant anyway. I believe that there is no chance of promotion with or without mowbray. 

I don't think he will relegate us but get rid and anything could happen. Better the devil you know on this occasion.

That is anything but a 'fact'. I have lived in Scotland for 25 years and people with absolutely no connection to Blackburn ask me things like "Who do Rovers play on Saturday?" or "How did the Rovers get on last night?". You might say "Ah, but they already know who you support" but the truth of the matter is when I'm asked by taxi drivers and the like who my team is, I always say "The Rovers" and the vast majority of people know exactly who I mean. They usually follow it up (in Glasgow) with "Aye, but who do you REALLY support?".........but that's another story.

Even that inbred lot call us B*st*rd Rovers not B*st*rd Blackburn.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 5