BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, unsall said:

Pretty obvious to me that Venus has taken on a different role, with Damian Johnson being more of TMs assistant/ coach, which isn’t a bad thing, rated very highly.

Then it should be Venus moving from one to the other, not doing both, and Johnson could become joint assistant manager or similar rather than 'development coach' or whatever he is.

On that subject I've never seen Johnson stand up off the bench once this season since he took the job on. 

4 hours ago, Amo said:

Robinson, Keane, Olsson, Hanley, Dann, Cairney, Evans, Conway, King, Rhodes, Gestede

Still beggars belief that Bowyer couldn't get that team into the playoffs.

Which was exactly the problem. Yet he played Jason Lowe in game after game.

It’s not hard to draw parallels with Mowbray’s current set up:

Graham, Downing, Dack, Holtby, Rothwell (who can’t buy a start - much like King), Lenihan, Evans, Gallagher, Armstrong, Johnson, Travis, Buckley, Butterworth (who can’t get a look-in).

Except for the glaringly obvious lack of decent goalkeeper and defenders. Even Bowyer bought a goalscorer with his £7m, while Mowbray bought... potential. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Rudy,a shrewd buy of probably less than a million would be pointless in this set up even if he wasn't stuck on the right hand side.  We don't cross and when we do there is no one capable save for Downing maybe taking all the set pieces.

Yet bizarrely he's still just the type we've been crying out for.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Rudy,a shrewd buy of probably less than a million would be pointless in this set up even if he wasn't stuck on the right hand side.  We don't cross and when we do there is no one capable save for Downing maybe taking all the set pieces.

Yet bizarrely he's still just the type we've been crying out for.

Mowbray would absolutely play Gestede out wide and Rhodes would be in the bench.

If it weren’t us, it’d be hilarious.

• Like 3

its appears to me that Venus will taking more of director of football role on and working closest with the scouting and recruitment department and negotiating transfers and new contracts. I expect Venus will be taken more of back seat coaching wise and spending less time on there as time goes on. I noticed he doesn't work with defenders pre match like last season as Damien Johnson is doing. Will Venus be spending more time up stairs with the in game analysis people. 

So basically Mowbray is the manager with 2 coaches under him in Lowe and Johnson plus Benson and Rush in their coaching field. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

So he’s assistant and head of football operations. How on earth does that work? 

I hope the owners gave him a good grilling on results and performances, letting him know that big improvements are needed immediately.

I think you will find Mark Venus will be doing less and less coaching as time goes on

Its seems that Mowbray has the backing of owners and very happy to allow Mowbray and Waggott to bring in this structure into the club

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cant train this week lads, have it off, me and the coaching staff are going to India because theyve not heard of Skype!

as you have been told before the owners prefer to meet people face to face as always. 

We had plenty of coaching staff at Brockhall in the past week

8 hours ago, Amo said:

Robinson, Keane, Olsson, Hanley, Dann, Cairney, Evans, Conway, King, Rhodes, Gestede

Still beggars belief that Bowyer couldn't get that team into the playoffs.

Absolutely Shocking! Some of us were saying at the time that 'stability' was taking us nowhere and we were proved right.

It's even worse when you consider that there weren't any better teams in The Championship then than there are now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you will find Mark Venus will be doing less and less coaching as time goes on

Its seems that Mowbray has the backing of owners and very happy to allow Mowbray and Waggott to bring in this structure into the club

as you have been told before the owners prefer to meet people face to face as always. 

Just because they prefer it doesnt mean it is the most efficient way or above criticism. 

The manager and assistant manager shouldnt be spending half of an international week in India unnecessarily IMO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Husky said:

Absolutely Shocking! Some of us were saying at the time that 'stability' was taking us nowhere and we were proved right.

It's even worse when you consider that there weren't any better teams in The Championship then than there are now.

...when we ended up in League 1.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Just because they prefer it doesnt mean it is the most efficient way or above criticism. 

The manager and assistant manager shouldnt be spending half of an international week in India unnecessarily IMO.

Well you can keep criticism if you want but its their way. I see it different to you that they are still interested in the club and the ongoings. 

The players were off and nothing massively was missed. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well you can keep criticism if you want but its their way. I see it different to you that they are still interested in the club and the ongoings. 

The players were off and nothing massively was missed. 

Well thanks for the patronising permission to be able to criticise the scourge of the club over the last 10 seasons or whatever.

That they are interested is not enough. If theres something they dont agree with I will say so. Mowbray is interested but I will still criticise him when his team underperforms and bores me doing so. But its his way, so surely I shouldnt criticise? Certain players are interested but still not performing, but thats "their way," right?! I am not going to give Venkys any credit for giving a shit about a club they own!

There was little option but to give the players a week off because half of the staff including the manager and his assistant were in India. A couple of days off to refresh may have been wise but a whole week?! Weve got a flimsy defence, a misfiring attack and have just been battered by a mediocre side. Our next opponents have seemingly spent more time than us preparing and training for Saturday.

A far more efficient way would be either for them to get off their arses and come to England, or more obviously, especially considering that we are mid season, is to talk over skype or similar. To go over mid season to show them videos about the work in the training centre etc is quite ludicrous considering the distance. Its their way, and its a perfect example of how these idiots owning us will always be backwards.

I find it strange that you bend over backwards to defend our owners often contrary to logic to be honest but there you go.

• Like 6

Tony's been to India to tell the clowns how well everything is going despite there being zero progress since he arrived at the club what feels like 14 years ago. 

He claims we'd be in the play offs if we'd beaten Charlton and Luton, but he doesn't like talking about 'ifs' and 'buts'; despite doing exactly that. 

He's also taken a huge advantage of noting that the clowns don't give a flying f8ck about Rovers or have zero knowledge of football by conveniently ignoring we'd need a 9 goal swing in those two fixtures to be in that final play off spot, this despite not beating any team by more than 2 goals in the 14 years he's been here, including the season in League One. 

I look forward to more window dressing from the good human after the Huddersfield debacle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why wasn't this structure introduced 12 months ago or even in the summer?

Why is Venus still assistant manager if he is moving elsewhere?

Backing of the owners should be results dependent. 

At no club should the manager be able to appoint directors or heads of department. Mowbray has now done it twice, appointing his mates on each occasion.

What this really means is that another layer of protection has  been added to Mowbray's position at a time when I think he should be under intense scrutiny. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Well thanks for the patronising permission to be able to criticise the scourge of the club over the last 10 seasons or whatever.

The reply wasnt patronising at all roversfan99. But lets be a drama queen. 

There was little option but to give the players a week off because half of the staff including the manager and his assistant were in India. A couple of days off to refresh may have been wise but a whole week?

Wrong. Lowe, Johnson, Benson and Rush were all around..

A far more efficient way would be either for them to get off their arses and come to England, or more obviously, especially considering that we are mid season, is to talk over skype or similar. To go over mid season to show them videos about the work in the training centre etc is quite ludicrous considering the distance. Its their way, and its a perfect example of how these idiots owning us will always be backwards.

The meeting was pre planned for a couple of months as Mowbray said yesterday. 

They are not going to.come over here as we know..why keep going on about I find it utter pointless. They like face to face meeting. 

They would have discuss much more then Videos of training. 

I find it strange that you bend over backwards to defend our owners often contrary to logic to be honest but there you go.

Wrong again. I just dont keep complaining about the same thing time after time. 

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why wasn't this structure introduced 12 months ago or even in the summer?

Why is Venus still assistant manager if he is moving elsewhere?

Backing of the owners should be results dependent. 

At no club should the manager be able to appoint directors or heads of department. Mowbray has now done it twice, appointing his mates on each occasion.

What this really means is that another layer of protection has  been added to Mowbray's position at a time when I think he should be under intense scrutiny. 

Surely the 1st 2 questions are for Waggott and Mowbray to answer not me. 

Venus role is still assistant manager on Rovers website but I sure it will change. 

Mowbray had no part to play in Waggott appointment has he has public.

"I had no input at all' but Tony Mowbray welcomes Rovers' Chief Executive appointment

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15788095.i-had-no-input-at-all-but-tony-mowbray-welcomes-rovers-chief-executive-appointment/

Edited by chaddyrovers

Oh give over Chaddy stop being so naïve, Of course he had input in it.

• Like 4

. They are not going to.come over here as we know..why keep going on about I find it utter pointless. They like face to face meeting. 

Well, I like to send to speak to my clients using Morse code but its hardly practical is it? Doing something that takes days instead of hours just impacts the running of the club needlessly. 

Modern day technology means that we can use software like Skype which is about as close to a face-to-face meeting as you get without being able to physically kiss the person on screen - would you want a smacker from any of that lot? 

Mowbray had no part to play in Waggott appointment has he has public. 

And you believe that? Just a coincidence that TM, Waggott and Venus all worked together at Coventry? The Venkies decided they wanted a new CEO and suddenly decided to bring this man over many others? They would have asked for TMs opinion as they no nowt about football and he would have suggested his mate - they then hired him..end of.

• Like 4

We shouldn't believe everything we read in the paper (LT) as ALL quotes are spoon fed PR from the club.

Mowbray was given a target of 12 points from 6 games and has failed massively with one still to play.

He was summoned to India to answer for his inept failure.

He has privately been given a "vote of confidence" from our humble and trusting owners but watch out for the next points target which will be his last.

This reshuffle is just window dressing in anticipation of his exit, to minimise casualties and see Johnson become head coach.

Pressure now on.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

We shouldn't believe everything we read in the paper (LT) as ALL quotes are spoon fed PR from the club.

Mowbray was given a target of 12 points from 6 games and has failed massively with one still to play.

He has privately been given a "vote of confidence" from our humble and trusting owners but watch out for the next points target which will be his last.

This reshuffle is just window dressing in anticipation of his exit, to minimise casualties and see Johnson become head coach.

Pressure now on.

Do you have this on good authority or is this a dream?

If minimising casualties means Venus retains his job then what's the point? He's gone with TM everywhere and no doubt if Mowbray got another job after us he'd follow him there too.

I don't get the appetite for DJ as manager. I'd sooner we looked in the market for someone who has had promotions under his belt. DJ may turn out to be the next Pep but he may also be the next Bowyer.

• Like 1

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Pressure now on.

And if they pot him they risk the whole lot walking probably, that's why there's been a reshuffle i bet.  Strengthening the hand as has been mentioned before, TM and his boys are getting a grip on the entire inner workings.

The bosses or middle management at a club the ones under the owners/investors/stakeholders and above the manager should really be a separate entity.  Capable or impartial decisions or advice without personal influence or any connections, agents or otherwise and preferably local but more importantly experienced and know what they are doing. Not the case here.

It's probably fair to assume that seeing as this lot have worked together closely before and then all ended up here in the same positions that they share the same representation or similar ?   That isn't too dissimilar to what's gone before and whilst not singling this present lot out as dodgy it is just yet another reason why we won't prosper under this ownership.

Is their money be invested in the right areas ? The recurring question.....

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Do you have this on good authority or is this a dream?

If minimising casualties means Venus retains his job then what's the point? He's gone with TM everywhere and no doubt if Mowbray got another job after us he'd follow him there too.

I don't get the appetite for DJ as manager. I'd sooner we looked in the market for someone who has had promotions under his belt. DJ may turn out to be the next Pep but he may also be the next Bowyer.

Not completely implausible. Cannot remember myself but has a manager been 'summoned' to India mid-season before? Just trying to remember if this can be classed as normal Venkies or them starting to get a little cranky. 

Isn't it odd that Waggott wasn't involved in any of this ?

No because his "power" (responsibility) is limited to the commercial side.

TM has now been formally relieved of some of his duties to focus solely on his main responsibilty of challenging for the top 6. This is the vision he sold to them and must now deliver.

The trigger finger is twitching.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue