BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Proof that judging the manager isnt just dependant on resources can be seen at Preston where their fans have started to really turn far more than we have at Alex Neil and they have had far less money than us. Our top scorer was a player they couldnt afford and we have since signed 2 forwards for much more than that. But Preston have had a few years around the play offs, Neil has had plenty of time and are PNE fans deluded for thinking that they have the right to want a change? No.

I have family and friends who are PNE supporters and find it's a bit of a mixed bag of feelings where Neil is concerned.

Neil lives in Longridge and I've seen him out and about a couple of times when I've been over there and he does strike me as being a pretty cold and intense sort of bloke - though as a football manager you do tend to live in a bit of a goldfish bowl! 

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If they feel that their team has gone backwards or just because they dont have the biggest budget, should they accept mediocrity?

I was talking about the owner of PNE Teevor Hemmings I believe it is there. 

Do Preston feel they should be challenging top 6? Is Neil management style and tactics? A number of squad changes he done? His signings been poor? 

Amazing how quickly things turn. Not a year since they were sitting pretty near the top and Neil was being pursued by West Brom. Now the nobbers want him out.

I won't be crowing much because they are neck and neck with us and are revving up to play us at Deepdale searching for their first home win. We've seen the script for this already with Mowbray's soft lads turning up and rolling over.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Amazing how quickly things turn. Not a year since they were sitting pretty near the top and Neil was being pursued by West Brom. Now the nobbers want him out.

I won't be crowing much because they are neck and neck with us and are revving up to play us at Deepdale searching for their first home win. We've seen the script for this already with Mowbray's soft lads turning up and rolling over.

That's their 3 points its replaced Wigan away as the annual surrender for us. Although we could be heading there stronger than we've ever been in recent years. 

Could be a big statement a win there.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

PNE are still winning a fair few games away, sort their home form out and they’ll be solid enough in mid table.

Who will do better with that squad and wagebill than Neil? 

That's my thinking too. He'd one pretty well imo, and if this season hasn't been great, then his previous couple of years have seen certainly seen them punch above their weight. I imagine had he had the backing TM had had, 15 millioin or so, then it could have been what got them that extra bit and into playoffs and possibly the Premiership. 

Certainly his record is decent, a couple of good seasons with PNE where he perhaps overachieved, a promotion with Norwich. He doesn't strike me as a duffer. 

The problem is with these smaller clubs punching above their weight, sooner or later they always get found out. First time I remember seeing that is with Coventry back in the Premiership under Strachen, with him having to get a new stirker each year. Sooner or late the magic runs out, and that might be happening to Neil now.  

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Must want his head testing not giving Dolan at least another year.

In regards to their first team, like with ours he is very much on the fringes when everyone is available. Sinclair, Barkhuizen etc all play over him there. They perhaps made a mistake not keeping him as a future prospect to loan out.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

PNE are still winning a fair few games away, sort their home form out and they’ll be solid enough in mid table.

Who will do better with that squad and wagebill than Neil? 

Im not saying that they should or shouldnt get rid, but you can understand if they feel that they are stagnating, if they are regressing, that they might want a change.

Outsiders may argue that we should be content with mid table and Mowbray, but theres nothing wrong with a bit of ambition. I suppose comparatively, Neil has had much less money both in transfer fees and wages compared to Mowbray, but if they feel that they are going further away from main play off contenders, consider the possibility of key players leaving, maybe a reset is something they might crave. 

"I am sick and tired of, IMO, all the 'slow build, evolution, on a journey' cr@p from Mowbray that sadly some, including our owners, seem to buy.  IMO, it's merely self preservation stuff from Mowbray."  

Mowbray has said enough in the past two years for me to understand the slow build up was to delivering a promotion drive this season.

He has been given incredible time and support from Pune so he has to deliver starting at Luton - that is assuming we don't wake up a week on Saturday to find 15 players in quarantine.

• Like 4

Yes there's been talk of 3 year plans and stuff after the great reset - relegation - so we are in the later stages of that now. Covid has come along and thrown a huge monumental spanner in but i don't think it can be blamed for everything. The progress though is there to see in terms of signings and pasting some teams we often struggle against.

Similar patterns are still there in terms of weaknesses though and muddling about with line ups which many rightly feel is this managers achiles heel. Maybe there'd have been more signings or some big fees spent again if it wasn't for covid that must have made a difference to the budget. I'm not comfy with that though with Mowbray he works better under tighter constraints as we've seen. Also as PhilipL has mentioned the current situation can benefit Rovers a bit more than other clubs although it's hard for everyone.

We rely on almost completely on owner funding all the time so the lack of income will impact much bigger turnovers worse you'd assume. Credit to Vs for standing firm on all that but it just adds to the weight of the managers backing. Somehow though i expect the 3 year plan will suddenly turn to a 5 year one in the near future when Steve & Tony get to spinning their yarns.

Probably when we are in the middle of a one win in 8 run with a near full squad in Feb !!!

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, Pedrotherover said:

Total strange times at the moment. 5 pts from the play offs, I think Luton is a huge game. Jones has done a good job again there but we need to win. If were serious about making play offs we can't let that 5pts turn to a 10pt gap by december.

I am not that bothered about points gaps at this stage of the season. But we are Blackburn Rovers and we should beat Luton Town.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I am not that bothered about points gaps at this stage of the season. But we are Blackburn Rovers and we should beat Luton Town.

Oh i totally agree that we should be beating Luton. My only concern is that teams i put similar to us in expectation...Watford, Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea, Middlesborough, Stoke and Brentford sit above us. I just don't want some of the clubs gaining too much ground on us.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I always remember the mural outside The Emirates that featured a picture of an aggressive looking Martin Keown, fists clenched in front of his body, with the caption apparently addressed at his team mates when going 1 down at Ewood: "We are THE Arsenal!" well, WE ARE THE Rovers. Based on that belief, we should wipe the floor with Luton and their ilk!

Edited by darrenrover

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I always remember the mural outside The Emirates that featured a picture of an aggressive looking Martin Keown, fists clenched in front of his body, with the caption apparently addressed at his team mates when going 1 down at Ewood: "We are THE Arsenal!" well, WE ARE THE Rovers. Based on that belief, we should wipe the floor with Luton and their ilk!

Bit arrogant.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Bit arrogant.

Not in the slightest. Rovers supporters of my 'ilk', admittedly rather an ageing one, still think - quite rightly - that it's an affront to the history of our club that we are even in the same division as a tinpot, johnny-come-lately, utter flipping nonentity of an outfit such as "The Hatters". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unleaded said:

Ryan Lowe at Plymouth  currently looks a young and hungry manager ..  his teams play good attractive football ..... and always near the top ...He would be ideal for me ... 

Isn't he off to Sheff Wed? to replace Monk. He is a big Sheff Wed fan i believe