BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hughton has started surprisingly slowly at Forest but his track record means that it would be a surprise if it continued long term.

I'm not surprised by his slow start. The squad isnt to his likely in my opinion. Alot of players there. Wont be easy to get rid

I hope Forest owner werent expect playoffs when he joined. 

54 minutes ago, alex l said:

Credit to TM today, I can't have been the only one thinking he'd thrown in the towel when Arma and Rothwell went off, but it got a result with the subs doing their bit, same as in mid week. 

I agree, I'm not his biggest fan but I thought he did well today. It's ok people moaning about Buckley having to go to right back but what were our other options ? Maybe Davenport could have played there but I wouldn't have fancied Johnson there, or Trybull for that matter. Downing would have been on the wrong side. Maybe drop Johnson back to centre half and keep Nyambe at right back.

• Like 2

Anyone else thinking that TM might get us into the top 6?  

On Buckley, his options were limited and wisely, I think, he chose to move fewer pieces. Anyways which one of us wouldn't have biten the football gods hands off for a draw after the penalty incident. 

However perhaps losing Lenihan for a few matches will see Johnson step into the role. If he can rally them to that degree most matches, I'd be sorely tempted to have club and match captains, with Johnson leading the lads during games. Hopefully Lenihans nose would not be too put out. 

Has Johnson ever played centre half? I don't think he needs to be captain to lead the team. In fact his shit housing probably doesn't fit well with being captain. Leave him too it. Although he is probably the stand out candidate with Lenihan out. Ayala maybe? Or left field suggestion, give it to Nyambe. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

It's almost uncool to congratulate TM but he certainly deserved it today.

He managed that 2nd half very well. I believe his thinking of Buckley at RB was he'd be similar to JRC in that position and out of the 4 we had at the back at the time could offer the long pass out. 

However his instant reaction to tactics following Brentford's final subs decided our game. 

1 hour ago, bboy said:

I believe his thinking of Buckley at RB was he'd be similar to JRC in that position

Why is he getting a free pass here.? His job was to defend and show the winger onto his left foot at all costs.  He didn't even try, his communication with his runner was non existent.  Someone claimed his part in the goal was great......I've only watched the Quest highlights but he never touched it 8 passes from the goal so I fail to see how he influenced it as some seem to suggest earlier.  Magnifying a couple of simple passes here and there as potentially world class etc...I just don't get it.

He doesn't score, his tackling is non existent, his work rate is lacking, his build seems small and lightweight, does he have a best position.? When is he going to play a full match and really grab the game by the scruff of the neck? Not my cup of tea.

I chalked two points dropped at Luton against Mowbray but wipe the slate clean with the Brentford performance.

Just wow.

The man management in getting that second half performance after all the hammer blows in the last 20 minutes of the first half was outstanding.

The players went 4-4-1 like they play it every day but both the formation and the personnel in the slots were alien to their normal roles.

He kept us in the game when Brentford could have run away with it then switched to offense in the 80th minute and caught them exhausted and depleted.

Also really liked his subs strategy.

He protected players already on yellows and had the confidence to protect Rothwell and Armstrong for their necessary exertions in the coming midweek.

Seriously impressed.

• Like 3

It shouldn't be uncool to give him credit when it's due at all that's how you justify the constructive criticism.  All about balance.

End of the day though he is what he is there are times he gets it badly wrong and often that comes when he shouldn't really be fiddling with it at all. That puts it further into the spotlight but there are plenty times he gets in right and occasionally pulls off a masterstroke. Main thing is though these players obviously pull their tripe out for him when he gets them to. 

If we / they / he really want promotion then that effort has to be there every single game and they've shown it the past few weeks. There are still question marks about the selections and tactics which often seem to hinder the team despite the willingness.  That's something he has to get to grips with.

He has a big enough battle this season with injuries and officials though as well.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 13:01, JoeH said:

I seem to remember a lot of people claiming Hughton would fire Forest into the Top 6, a few going as far to say that Hughton will easily finish above Mowbray with Rovers. Same sentiments towards Neil Warnock and his Boro side. We're currently ahead of both and one of which is in a serious relegation dog fight! 

I think it is a bit early for that sort of talk. Mowbray is doing well at the moment but he has had time and resources here that neither Warnock or Hughton have had close to at their current clubs.

Warnock has turned Boro from relegation candidates to play off chasers in one transfer window without spending much.

Hughton been at Forest a matter of a couple of months and has inherited a shambles. If he is given time he will have Forest up there but for now they're a mess and need to get enough together to survive. 

If I was a gambling man I'd put money on either Forest or Boro getting in the play-offs before Rovers do.

18 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Why is he getting a free pass here.? His job was to defend and show the winger onto his left foot at all costs.  He didn't even try, his communication with his runner was non existent.  Someone claimed his part in the goal was great......I've only watched the Quest highlights but he never touched it 8 passes from the goal so I fail to see how he influenced it as some seem to suggest earlier.  Magnifying a couple of simple passes here and there as potentially world class etc...I just don't get it.

He doesn't score, his tackling is non existent, his work rate is lacking, his build seems small and lightweight, does he have a best position.? When is he going to play a full match and really grab the game by the scruff of the neck? Not my cup of tea.

Totally agree. Couldn't have put it better myself

20 hours ago, bboy said:

It's almost uncool to congratulate TM but he certainly deserved it today.

He managed that 2nd half very well. I believe his thinking of Buckley at RB was he'd be similar to JRC in that position and out of the 4 we had at the back at the time could offer the long pass out. 

However his instant reaction to tactics following Brentford's final subs decided our game. 

Mowbray said the plan was to hang in until the 80 minute mark and then up the intensity and go for it. Worked a treat to be fair.

On Buckley he said that he always plays RB in training matches on a Friday. 

18 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Your hatred on Buckley is becoming a little too obsessional.  I'll be honest, it's a bit weird. 

Buckley is a talented lad who came on for a team with 10 men in a position he's probably never played at senior level. The defending for the goal was really poor but there were 3 players responsible for that. AA who lost the runner, Buckley for going with the runner that AA had lost when he should have shown Canos down the outside, and Rothwell for his pitiful attempt to stop Canos. 

Buckley needs time to develop physically and become a permanent fixture in the team. His passing and vision are at times exceptional. A rare ability. And he's a lot better than that lad you said had more ability than him who is currently on the subs bench in the Spanish Conference North. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Your hatred on Buckley is becoming a little too obsessional.  I'll be honest, it's a bit weird. 

Buckley is a talented lad who came on for a team with 10 men in a position he's probably never played at senior level. The defending for the goal was really poor but there were 3 players responsible for that. AA who lost the runner, Buckley for going with the runner that AA had lost when he should have shown Canos down the outside, and Rothwell for his pitiful attempt to stop Canos. 

Buckley needs time to develop physically and become a permanent fixture in the team. His passing and vision are at times exceptional. A rare ability. And he's a lot better than that lad you said had more ability than him who is currently on the subs bench in the Spanish Conference North. 

Well said . Buckley is a talent and will come good. I really urge patience with him from supporters . He will grow, fill out and gain more confidence as time goes on. We have a good squad of players , no need to rush his development. It will happen naturally and when it does we will have a player 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, I'm not his biggest fan but I thought he did well today. It's ok people moaning about Buckley having to go to right back but what were our other options ? Maybe Davenport could have played there but I wouldn't have fancied Johnson there, or Trybull for that matter. Downing would have been on the wrong side. Maybe drop Johnson back to centre half and keep Nyambe at right back.

I'd have put Downing there. It too basic to think that any right footer would be preferable.

Full back is often a position which is underestimated. Positioning, holding the line, tackling, knowing when to show somebody inside or out, cutting out crosses, dealing with high balls coming in to the back post. All attributes which a full back learns and understands. I'd rather have a player in that position that understands the role and knows how to defend rather than one who might be able to play a silky forward ball down the line just cos he has a right foot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I also agree. Because Armstrong didn’t track the overlapping Henry, it was 2-on-1 for Buckley, so he was done either way. It just so happened the winger hit a screamer into the top corner. Equally plausible had Buckley showed him outside the winger would have played Henry in and someone tapped it in.

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 00:55, Sparks Rover said:

I do agree with some of this, but I think Buckley obviously does have some talent.

I think he will be similar to Paul Gallagher in that he won't really make it here, but will have a decent career at league one/championship level and probably won't become a regular starter anywhere until he is 26/27.

On 06/12/2020 at 07:55, Sparks Rover said:

On the Canos goal Armstrong and Gallagher had by that time switched sides.

Armstrong was AWOL as Brentford mounted that attack and Buckley exposed. Look at it again and Armstrong's token gesture to defensive duties.

Buckley left totally exposed to a fast, skilful twat.

However in the bigger picture Buckley is not the answer at RB but a temporary in match fix. 

** Edit: Just noticed that Exiled in Toronto has already covered this

Edited by AllRoverAsia

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

Hughton been at Forest a matter of a couple of months and has inherited a shambles. If he is given time he will have Forest up there but for now they're a mess and need to get enough together to survive. 

If I was a gambling man I'd put money on either Forest or Boro getting in the play-offs before Rovers do.

That's a completely different hypothetical though. What was put forward when Hughton got to Forest was that they'd reach the play-offs this year and easily finish above Rovers. Now we're opening that up to reaching the play-offs before Rovers do across any season.

I think people overestimated Hughton and they continue to underestimate Tony Mowbray. If I was a Preston fan, I'd be looking at Mowbray and what he's done with Rovers this year, and I'd be thinking, yeah he's a decent manager. Been promoted from this league before, experience across loads of divisions. 

It's the bias of what we don't have. Hughton looked attractive because he's something different. But his football is boring & defensive, and it doesn't reap rewards unless managing a top side.

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That's a completely different hypothetical though. What was put forward when Hughton got to Forest was that they'd reach the play-offs this year and easily finish above Rovers. Now we're opening that up to reaching the play-offs before Rovers do across any season.

I think people overestimated Hughton and they continue to underestimate Tony Mowbray. If I was a Preston fan, I'd be looking at Mowbray and what he's done with Rovers this year, and I'd be thinking, yeah he's a decent manager. Been promoted from this league before, experience across loads of divisions. 

It's the bias of what we don't have. Hughton looked attractive because he's something different. But his football is boring & defensive, and it doesn't reap rewards unless managing a top side.

Completely with you on Mowbray. I'm one of those sad people who even looks at message boards for other clubs when they play Rovers, and it's amazing how often fans of other clubs have compared Mowbray favourably to their own manager. 

I disagree about overestimating Hughton though. I think we always deal with uncertainty when it comes to football managers - there's always the possibility that an otherwise good manager might not work out at a certain club at a certain time - but Hughton's record at this level is pretty much unblemished. It's probably too late for Forest to think about the top 6 even with a fantastic run, but I'm supremely confident that he'll get them safe and sound well before the season's close, and next season they'll be looking upwards. 

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I disagree about overestimating Hughton though. I think we always deal with uncertainty when it comes to football managers - there's always the possibility that an otherwise good manager might not work out at a certain club at a certain time - but Hughton's record at this level is pretty much unblemished. It's probably too late for Forest to think about the top 6 even with a fantastic run, but I'm supremely confident that he'll get them safe and sound well before the season's close, and next season they'll be looking upwards. 

I'm sure he will keep them up. I think he's done well at previous clubs, but often does well when he's managing one of the divisions best teams.

Just now, JoeH said:

I'm sure he will keep them up. I think he's done well at previous clubs, but often does well when he's managing one of the divisions best teams.

True enough, but he did well at Birmingham when it was a madhouse and not particularly well resourced. No guarantees that he'll do similar at Forest of course, but personally I think the smart money will be them finishing mid-table then competing for the top six next season.

58 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The main doubt with Mowbray yet also the reason that he splits people is because we are always within the middle ground, we peak a couple of points outside the play offs having never at any stage demonstrated that we are genuine contenders, its always "when we have a fully fit squad" or "once we put a run of wins together." Conversely, we never seem to fall away enough to warrant a crisis button being pressed, and of course we havent got that benchmark of previously having been in the top 6 which would create a feeling of regression and having gone backwards. So he certainly isnt a bad manager, we are in a middle ground (which cannot last forever) whereby we are unsure whether that run of wins to propel us into the top 6 will ever come or indeed whether it will just fall into stagnation.

I am unsure as to why you have mentioned Preston, but their fans want their manager out now when he has gone one further (with far less money) and actually have spent quite a few weeks in the top 6 in the last couple of years. They have actually been genuine contenders spending time in the top 6, something that always has been beyond us and something that we have to prove that we can do. Obviously the main difference is that their current position shows that they have gone backwards slightly but again, I am unsure as to the relevance of mentioning Preston in your argument of Hughton/Warnock v Mowbray.

Regarding Hughton's past record, he took over Brighton mid way through a season in which they finished 20th and scored 44 goals, in the following 2 seasons he finished 3rd with 72 goals and then 2nd with 74 goals, so your comments about him taking over a top side are flawed. He took over Birmingham once they had been relegated and also had Europa League fixtures to add to their schedule, and he finished 4th with 78 goals, the season following his illogical sacking, they finished 12th with Lee Clark scoring 15 goals fewer. Throw in a promotion at Newcastle and he has so much recent history of promotion and top 6 finishes since Mowbrays promotion at West Brom, that it is understandable that people look to his record and expect him to repeatedly perform similar achievements, no appointment is a guarantee but a manager with such a record is as likely as anyone. He fits the type of manager to which a lot of snobbery is attached to but his teams score plenty of goals and we were regimented and dull to watch to a neutral when we came up from League 1 but ultimately, who cared? No one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Been promoted from this league before, experience across loads of divisions. 

Since Mowbray last got promoted from this division, managers such as Alex Neill, Phil Brown, Owen Coyle, Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert, Nigel Atkins, Brian McDermott, Malky Mackay, and Ian Holloway (X2) have all achieved promotion from the Championship. The game has moved on from 13 years ago when Mowbray got his sole promotion from this division, since then he hasn't even been able to muster another top 6 finish. He'll have us mid table and we will go on little runs and flirt with the play offs but that will be as exciting as it gets.

As for Hughton since Mowbray last achieved a top 6 finish Hughton has achieved 4 top 6 finishes including two promotions. He also unlike Mowbray has done some decent jobs in the top flight.

• Like 2