BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

For those interested in this sort of stuff Rovers average home attendances in the 70s and 80s  were never as low as 5,000.

Individual game attendances which are more dependant on the competition, opposition, hell even the weather may/were on occasion.

Don't fall for the myth, which I've seen promoted over the years, that League were on average as low as 5k

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/blar.htm

What that shows is a strong correlation between final position and average gate: e.g. from 9,600 to 5,800 1985 vs 1986. It was ever thus prior to Jack.

9 hours ago, 47er said:

The lowest average in the modern era was in 1985-6 at 5826. Lowest crowd in that season was 3587.

That was at the end of Bob Saxtons time I seem to recall?

Saxton was always on a hiding to nothing because Kendall proved to be one of English footballs greatest managers in my opinion, big shoes to fill. Howards only mistake was loaning Keeley to Everton who duly got sent off in his first game, the MERSEYSIDE DERBY, where he upended Kenny clean through on goal, he was immediately sent back to Ewood.

But we digress. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gav said:

That was at the end of Bob Saxtons time I seem to recall?

Saxton was always on a hiding to nothing because Kendall proved to be one of English footballs greatest managers in my opinion, big shoes to fill. Howards only mistake was loaning Keeley to Everton who duly got sent off in his first game, the MERSEYSIDE DERBY, where he upended Kenny clean through on goal, he was immediately sent back to Ewood.

But we digress. 

Everton anti-hero Glenn Keeley: I never even wanted to play in THAT match - Liverpool Echo

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Howards only mistake was loaning Keeley to Everton who duly got sent off in his first game, the MERSEYSIDE DERBY, where he upended Kenny clean through on goal, he was immediately sent back to Ewood.

But we digress. 

At least Howard's mistake was to Everton's cost and not the Rovers Gav. He was the one who took Killer on loan, not the one who loaned him out.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 47er said:

I've just looked it up on my Jackmans--our lowest-ever average gate was 5000 in 1891-2!

Gates in the 70's/80's were poor but not down as far as 5000. Between 1970-71  and 1990-91 gates were often in the single thousands rather than over 10000. !5 times in fact. The lowest average in the modern era was in 1985-6 at 5826. Lowest crowd in that season was 3587.

Our lowest ever gate was 300! In 1899-00!

What sticks our like a sore thumb is the aftermath of the Cup Final in 1960. Average crowds in that season----27299.

Following season---down to 19344 and 15906 the season after. People don't take kindly to being treated as fools.

Thanks again Mike for a book I never tire of dipping into!

Sorry if this is a bit off thread but has anyone knowledge of the latest publication of Mick Jackman's book. I am hoping to purchase a copy but most seem to have been published 2009.

Thanks

21 hours ago, Gav said:

We spent 12 seasons in division 2 from 1980 - 1992 - I never thought for one minute we'd end up in the 1st Division until Jack came along in 87/88. We have spent 3 season in division 2 under Mowbray, I also don't think for one minute under these owners we'll end up in the premiership, but we don't ever give up.

Jack Walker only took full control of the club in 1991. He might have helped out with the wages of Archibald and Ardiles, but that is speculation. Regardless of those, we finished fifth three seasons in a row before he stepped in officially. I'm not trying to say we were any great shakes, but we were a club to proud of before Walker and we did come close to reaching the top flight time and time again before his arrival, that wasn't just under Mackay but also under Kendell and Saxton. Fans used to talk about how Rovers didn't really want to go up, I'm sure you remember that.

We are not that club any longer under Venky's. We haven't had a sniff of the top flight since we were relegated. Life under the Venky's is far worse than in the eighties. we had hope then, passion.

We have nothing but boredom and a hollow carcass of a club under the Venky's.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, philipl said:

The next three fixtures are against Stoke, Swansea and Boro.

As we haven't beaten any team above us all season, I cannot see us starting now.

Our season will be over before January is over.

Mowbray has to go.

If we do lose the next three games, i expect something along the following from Mowbray:

'A season which started full of promise has been devastated by the impacts of Covid and our injury list.  We are on a journey though and we'll continue to work through the remaining season to improve, strengthen where we need to in the summer and be ready to go again next season'. 

• Like 3

I thought we looked good at Stoke last month and lost. Since then i think we've looked half the side. I felt with squad we've got we've got to be top 6. To salvage the season i think he's got to go. 

I've entered that Rover Select game and actually put us down not to beat our opponent or score 😪

Edited by Pedrotherover
spelling error

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

If we do lose the next three games, i expect something along the following from Mowbray:

'A season which started full of promise has been devastated by the impacts of Covid and our injury list.  We are on a journey though and we'll continue to work through the remaining season to improve, strengthen where we need to in the summer and be ready to go again next season'. 

Yeah despite having one of the deepest squads in the league (except defense....)

• Like 1