BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, jasprovers said:

I am baffled beyond belief regarding the amount of people on here calling for Mowbray Out. Can’t people see what he is doing for this club? Everything he does is because he’s thinking long-term.

clearly new to the board. Some people have wanted him out for at least 2 years and even some since 11 games gone in League 1. 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I honestly think the side which has been assembled is an automatic chasing side, never mind a top six chasing side.

blimey, I never thought we would get top 2 this season. Norwich invested and kept the team together mainly. Bournemouth and Watford still have PL quality. Then I thought Forest would be challenging top 2 with that squad under Lamouchi, How wrong was I?

I thought getting a playoff place could be achievable this season. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

clearly new to the board. Some people have wanted him out for at least 2 years and even some since 11 games gone in League 1. 

blimey, I never thought we would get top 2 this season. Norwich invested and kept the team together mainly. Bournemouth and Watford still have PL quality. Then I thought Forest would be challenging top 2 with that squad under Lamouchi, How wrong was I?

Some of us didn't want him in the first place, fancy that.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chasing is the key word, Chaddy.
As in, hunting down.

Competing to a high standard against teams in and around the top 6. Challenging sides in the top 2, 3, maybe even taking points away from them. Playing professional sport on the same pitch and not being blown away by their superior quality from the get go.

Unfortunately, the only teams we’re capable of looking competent against are those at the bottom of the league—teams closer to league 1 standard than top 6 championship standards. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jasprovers said:

I am baffled beyond belief regarding the amount of people on here calling for Mowbray Out. Can’t people see what he is doing for this club? Everything he does is because he’s thinking long-term.

Maybe, I believe too much of what he says. But, I am excited for the prospect of a fully fit team playing together our old attacking flowing football. At the moment, yes, the defence is on its arse. Yes, Ayala is a useless donkey on a silly contract and can only get through 70 mins a game. Yes, we STILL haven’t found a suitable left back but we’re trying to fix it. 

We’ve been hampered by injuries at the back. Leading to a lack of consistency, this has led to a lack of organisation, leading to sloppy goals being given away. This affects confidence which is why we aren’t controlling games at the moment and we’re just not creating clear cut chances and putting them away. Half of our shots is Armstrong just shooting for the sake of shooting. If we did get promoted this season miraculously, we could not rely on Armstrong to keep us in the prem. He’s not ready for that, we’re not ready for that. We’d come straight back down. We cannot rely on Breo, Gallagher, Buckley, Armstrong, Rothwell, Dack to keep us in the prem next season. They’re not ready for it yet, but I think they will be in a couple of years. 

Under Mowbray, we will go up with time. Why jeopardise that with the risk of going back to the days of Henning Berg in one week, out the next. Appleton in one week, out the next. Instead of pissing away money on paying off managers, back Mowbray, develop the pitches, develop the squad for when we are ready to be promoted. 

We are very good. We’re just not ready yet. 

There's 'thinking long term', there's treading water while provifding excuses and there's procrastinating.

Progress has been glacial over the last 3 seasons and has possibly slipped into reverse. Mowbray is in self preservation mode.

I respect your opinion and would love to share it but i don't think the palyers you mentioned will ever be premiership players and there is no way Mowbray's coaching will make them such.

If you think about it, most journeys start and end in the same place. I think Mowbray's journey is on the return leg back to the bottom half of the championship.

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a low bar Chaddy. How many of Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert would you have appointed on a permanent basis ? I'll hold my hand up for Lambert and Co.

I would have appointed Bowyer and Lambert. 

Appleton is doing a good job at Lincoln and I hope takes them up. I think Appleton would have done a good job if he had stayed longer here and Shebby wasnt around. 

When Berg was appointed I wanted Holloway to be appoint. 

But even going back to when Souness was appointed I wasn't sure about his appointment tho I did enjoyed his Sky punditry at that time. He won my over time and give me 2 great Rovers memories 

Hughes was someone I wanted so was very happy with his appointment, 

Ince appointment was the wrong one from day one. said that at the time. 

Allardyce appointment at that time was the right one and 18 months I was happy with him but after hearing he wanted out to coach in the middle East didint sit well with me and then I felt his negative football wasn't going to develop players like Hoilett, Olsson and Kalinic going forward. 

Wasn't against Berg appointment but he made a massive mistake by not bring in his own staff and he paid for that. 

When ever we have to appoint Mowbray's successor, we need a proper search and not limited to certain people from certain list.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would have appointed Bowyer and Lambert. 

Appleton is doing a good job at Lincoln and I hope takes them up. I think Appleton would have done a good job if he had stayed longer here and Shebby wasnt around. 

When Berg was appointed I wanted Holloway to be appoint. 

But even going back to when Souness was appointed I wasn't sure about his appointment tho I did enjoyed his Sky punditry at that time. He won my over time and give me 2 great Rovers memories 

Hughes was someone I wanted so was very happy with his appointment, 

Ince appointment was the wrong one from day one. said that at the time. 

Allardyce appointment at that time was the right one and 18 months I was happy with him but after hearing he wanted out to coach in the middle East didint sit well with me and then I felt his negative football wasn't going to develop players like Hoilett, Olsson and Kalinic going forward. 

Wasn't against Berg appointment but he made a massive mistake by not bring in his own staff and he paid for that. 

When ever we have to appoint Mowbray's successor, we need a proper search and not limited to certain people from certain list.  

I was pleased when we got Souey, Hughes and Big Sam. Appointing Ince was inexplicable. Berg - inexperienced, as was Appleton at the time. Bowyer - Tony Parkes MK2, good caretaker but not full time for me.

During the Venkys era I’ve only been happy with Lambert’s appointment at the outset. Obviously didn’t work out well but I do wonder what might have been if he had been given the same support from the owners Mowbray has been given.

For both Mowbray and Bowyer it was just a relief at not seeing their predecessor in the dugout. Another similarity between their respective tenures. To be fair Mowbray has done better than I thought he would being a dinosaur on the scrap heap of football managers having failed at Celtic, boro and Coventry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jasprovers said:

Maybe, I believe too much of what he says. But, I am excited for the prospect of a fully fit team playing together our old attacking flowing football. At the moment, yes, the defence is on its arse. Yes, Ayala is a useless donkey on a silly contract and can only get through 70 mins a game. Yes, we STILL haven’t found a suitable left back but we’re trying to fix it. 

We’ve been hampered by injuries at the back. Leading to a lack of consistency, this has led to a lack of organisation, leading to sloppy goals being given away. This affects confidence which is why we aren’t controlling games at the moment and we’re just not creating clear cut chances and putting them away. Half of our shots is Armstrong just shooting for the sake of shooting. If we did get promoted this season miraculously, we could not rely on Armstrong to keep us in the prem. He’s not ready for that, we’re not ready for that. We’d come straight back down. We cannot rely on Breo, Gallagher, Buckley, Armstrong, Rothwell, Dack to keep us in the prem next season. They’re not ready for it yet, but I think they will be in a couple of years. 

Under Mowbray, we will go up with time. Why jeopardise that with the risk of going back to the days of Henning Berg in one week, out the next. Appleton in one week, out the next. Instead of pissing away money on paying off managers, back Mowbray, develop the pitches, develop the squad for when we are ready to be promoted. 

We are very good. We’re just not ready yet. 

You as touched upon seem to have fallen into the trap of falling for what he says. If he is all about the long term, why did he sign 4 loanees this season and Downing for 12 months? You acknowledge that he has failed to improve the same achilles heel in defence that we had since promotion. Inconsistencies in selection are mainly from the injury prone players he has signed or refused to let go even when interest arose. The intangibles behind the scenes are not bearing out improvements on the pitch. And this idea of our fully fit squad is really speculative, its the argument of an underachiever in Mowbray making excuses. So many teams have had injury woes on par or worse than us this season. We will rarely if ever have a fully fit squad.

The Premier League argument is heavily flawed. There are only positives from us going up, no negatives at all. Financially is the obvious one. On the playing side, Armstrong would likely sign a new deal so we could protect that investment, Nyambe likewise. Elliott could well come back. And we would have the platform to invest sensibly and prudently, we wouldnt have to be using Gallagher, Brereton, Buckley and Rothwell every week. As long as we genuinely gave our all and tackled the league with enthusiasm rather than throwing in the towel before a ball was kicked, then even if we came back down in the first season we would be in a much better place. And there are some crap teams at the bottom of the Premier League so with savvy signings survival is not an unreachable dream. There is no genuine reasoning in being ready or not ready for the Premier League. If you get promoted you are ready, if not you are not.

If the only alternative is to keep swapping between a Kean to a Berg to an Appleton then maybe we would settle for Mowbray. But it isnt and that is hardly a ringing endorsement anyway.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Loving today's absolute Gem from Tony Mowbray - "No momentum lost" 😂

To be fair he's not wrong; we haven't had any momentum at all this season, in truth. A couple of thrashings earlier in the season flattered to deceive, but at no point have we seriously threatened the play-offs - just like the rest of Mowbray's tenure.

We're at the absolute peak of where we will get with him. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

To be fair he's not wrong; we haven't had any momentum at all this season, in truth. A couple of thrashings earlier in the season flattered to deceive, but at no point have we seriously threatened the play-offs - just like the rest of Mowbray's tenure.

We're at the absolute peak of where we will get with him. 

The funny thing about those thrashings is that 2 of them were against 10 men and they still bang on about it like it was a masterclass

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Literally cannot believe it.

Why? What did you think was going to happen to even get the ball rolling?

- A ‘board’ meeting?

- Balaji or whoever demanding a morning Zoom call for answers from Pasha and Waggott?

- The manager hauled into the Chief Exec’s office for an explanation of recent form?

You reckon anything like that has occurred?

• Like 9

I don't know about anyone else but I must have spent hours over the last few weeks thinking, talking and posting about the situation and the route forward.

Anyone reckon our owners or incredibly well paid CEO have given the subject a seconds thought?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't know about anyone else but I must have spent hours over the last few weeks thinking, talking and posting about the situation and the route forward.

Anyone reckon our owners or incredibly well paid CEO have given the subject a seconds thought?

Nope

14 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Does anyone genuinely believe he's got specific targets, which, if not met, will lead him to be sacked?

Nope