BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

So... Just in the pub after the game.

Main thoughts -

The good- defence does look hugely better. Tosin looks very good, Williams had a very solid assured game. Bell who is about to lose his first team spot to Cunningham I thought had a good game. Also Gallagher missed a couple of decent headed chances, but won virtually everything in the air, and ran the channels well. I know he didn't produce anything truly impactful but his performance suggests he will provide opportunities over time as the centrebacks just couldn't cope with him at all. We need to figure out how to use him.

The bad -

Bennett played pretty well for most of the game, including one great triple block, but basically got done for the second goal. He just hasnt got the consistency of concentration and positional sense for full back. We absolutely must drop him.

Johnson had an absolute shocker. A yard off the page and very poor passing.  Thought we got a good one but on that showing quite worried.

Dack, Rothwell and Armstrong all played okay without producing anything incisive. Of all three Armstrong got the most quality in.

The ugly 

Around 70 mins we had all 4 (5 if you include Dack) of our strikers on the pitch in a bizarre 424 setup which just seemed desperate and we lost all shape.  Brereton on the left wing was utterly nonsensical. Armstrong lost all capability on the right as there was no structure behind him.

Someone mentioned a few days ago that he thought Mowbray had a points target that he needs to meet or he gets sacked. His subs point towards that being true.

Overall - think we do look slightly better than last year to be honest.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 5

Last week was bad. Today was always going to be tough. Sitting bottom never feels nice, but I see us getting better over the next few weeks.

Tosin looks good and once we have Lenihan playing alongside him and Cunningham in the side, we will be stronger and will stop shipping poor goals. Their first today was a good strike and not a lot you can do,

We won’t threaten the top six I’m afraid, but I’m sure we will finish higher than last season.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Brereton on the left wing was utterly nonsensical. 

J*B's 11 v 11 post from a couple of days ago had Brereton on left wing, which I commented on at the time as being a bit weird. It might be that Tony actually wants him to play there. 

Gutting to lose. Don’t want to say too much right now but I do t think we were too bad today.  Cairney scores a cracker, though he had too much space and they scored late in as we pushed forward.  We started pretty well, pressing high and making a few chances and we were unlucky to go in behind at half time.  There was a lot of energy and pressing from the front.  

Tosin almost got caught out a couple of times but I’m the whole I thought he and Williams did ok against a talented Fulham team.  

I don’t think the subs helped and going 442 with Brereton and Armstrong on the wings and Dack centre mid didn’t really work.  

We created quite a few half chances but lacked a bit of creativity and weren’t clinical.  Did we have a shot on target that wasn’t blocked? 

• Like 1

We need a decent GK more than anything at the moment, having been spoilt with quality in the past, we should have spent a decent amount on getting safe hands in the net, what we have now is piss poor. Other than that I think the squad will improve with a few more games under their belt. Getting on to the manager or players so early in the season is just crazy, it will only do more harm than good.

A few thoughts from today's game, albeit from someone who didn't watch it. 

Firstly, Fulham would've been nervous after last week's loss to Barnsley. All the pressure would have been on them as a team coming down from the prem, one of the promotion favourites, yet having received quite a beating in their first game. Added in Parker's lack of experience, I felt it wasn't a bad time to play them and get something from them, so a bit disappointed we didn't get a point. 

Secondly, selection and substitutions are odd. why no Cunningham? Bereton on the wing was never going to work. No Travis meant we were always going to struggle to retain the ball, and it would further imbalance us. Downing has never really played left back and was another poor move. Dack isn't a central midfielder. Add in Bennett at right back that meant we ended the game with at least 4 players out of position, and a total imbalance of artists to grafters. The scale of the imbalance and shoehorning people in is ridiculous - I cannot think of a team not in the midst of an injury crisis who would do this. All of which suggests TM has lost the plot. 

The lack of shots on target is a concern as we rely on our attacking play to get us out of trouble. I appreciate there were a few other chances, but it hardly sounds as if there were tons, and on top of our comical at times defending, you feel it's a recipe for relegation. 

Overall we need things to change soon, but I feel TM has lost it.   

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

total bollocks pal.

first season got us relegated. I know about Coyle but we chucked away points we had in the bag which would have kept us up.

second season just about got us out the third division (in spite of him, not because of him).

last season was a disaster but he wasn't judged due to his free season pass.

this season he gets us in the top 6 or he is out.

6 points out of 6 pissed away... not a great start.

same manager, same players, same results ?

The only element of truth in that is he could have saved us relegation, but that's marginal.  Promoted at first call, mid-table last season.  He may fail this season, but give him and the players a few games.  

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

The only element of truth in that is he could have saved us relegation, but that's marginal.  Promoted at first call, mid-table last season.  He may fail this season, but give him and the players a few games.  

How many games would you give out of interest. It's something like 17 points from 19 games, or the other way round. That's a long period of bad form. How much longer do you reckon is fair? 

• Like 1

• Backroom

“That’s football,” Mowbray said of allowing Mulgrew to leave and Lenihan picking up an injury.

“It’s early season, I don’t think central defence was a problem.

“I thought they applied themselves well.

“They all need to develop relationships and when Lenihan gets himself fit and comes back then he will have to compete to get in the team.”

Bloody hell, sounds like Del is now first choice CB even when Lenihan returns from injury!

Just now, DE. said:

“That’s football,” Mowbray said of allowing Mulgrew to leave and Lenihan picking up an injury.

“They all need to develop relationships and when Lenihan gets himself fit and comes back then he will have to compete to get in the team.”

Bloody hell, sounds like Del is now first choice CB even when Lenihan returns from injury!

Williams did ok though didn't he?

Just now, DE. said:

As expected from TM

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

According to TM the game plan worked.

God help us when his plan does not work.

Part 1: Restrict the opposition to 2 goals maximum...……………...perfect!

Part 2: score more than the opposition...…………...abject failure!

• Backroom
Just now, tonyoz said:

Williams did ok though didn't he?

Yeah, but would you have been happy with Derrick Williams as first choice CB for the next campaign at the end of last season? Our expectations are getting lower and lower. At the end of last season and even coming towards the end of this window we were being seen as dark horses for playoffs and people were backing that. Now it feels like people will soon be saying 21st is a good season and a job well done Mr Mowbray. It's worrying.

• Like 7