BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I couldn't give a monkey's toss what "some people might think" and furthermore they wont get a second thought when I'm ordering a bottle, or two, of Domaine de Pegau CNP (from my Ascot winnings) for dinner in just under an hour's time. 

Have good dinner enjoy it

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Always makes me laugh when folk let everybody know they drink French wine like it’s the height of sophistication   ^_^

Ive seen you in Majestic Wines, Matthew.

Edited by AAK

Just now, LDRover said:

Having a bet is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. 

You've got to study the form, take your time, take out your wad and splash it on a suitable filly. You can then sit back and watch as you clean up.

Take a bow mate, made me laugh on an otherwise depressing Saturday evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adopted scouser said:

My mate for over 30 years Andy died suddenly a month ago, season ticket holder at the turf. Gary his son went to the game today and sat in his Dad's seat, fitting they won three nil and simultaneously we are bottom of the league.

If ever a post managed to put things into perspective it is this one. Andy and Gary would be proud to read this adopted scouser. Sorry for your loss and RIP Andy.

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Yet again failing to close down a midfielder costs us dearly WE all know about TCs left foot so why didn’t the players? With the strength of our forward players we didn’t even manage a shot in target did we ?

It's pathetic. Professional footballers and they didn't know.

• Backroom
Just now, 1864roverite said:

Yet again failing to close down a midfielder costs us dearly WE all know about TCs left foot so why didn’t the players? With the strength of our forward players we didn’t even manage a shot in target did we ?

One year ago on the opening day of the season we were 2-1 up against Ipswich, then in the final minutes of the match we allowed Tayo Edun to gallop towards our goal unchallenged and fire in an equaliser. A year later we're talking about the same problems, except this time we aren't even getting a point from these matches. Progression? I'm not so sure.

And no, not one shot on target despite having £5m Gallagher on the pitch, the much-coveted (at one time anyway) Bradley Dack, Joe Rothwell and Adam Armstrong all on the pitch. Not one of them could hit a shot to even test the keeper. We know these players can score goals (Gallagher aside) because they all did it last season, so why in the first two games of the season have we only hit two shots on target? And the only goal we've scored was an own goal. 

Not sure what Mowbray is telling them to do, but it ain't working. 

• Like 1

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Just got back.

I haven’t read any comments so got no idea what the general consensus is.

Overall I was encouraged. I expected a battering and it never looked like occurring. We were by far the better side in the first half and marginally second best in the second. The end result was harsh and a draw would have been fair.

Positives:

Tosin and Williams. Solid throughout. We won’t miss Mulgrew if Tosin can keep that up. Williams looks far more accomplished at CB.

Dack. Was flying into everything and stood out in the first half. He won’t be here for much longer so we should make the most of it, Really encouraged by how well he played.

Travis and Johnson. It works, Really effective together. Best centre mid pairing in years.

Negatives.

Armstrong, He’s not a winger. Gets in behind but the end product isn’t there. Move him central or bring Chapman in.

Bell. Improved in the second half but was clearly our weak link. It’s Cunningham’s spot to lose.

Rothwell. Barely noticed him. Deserves more chances and did nothing wrong but didn’t provide much.

Everyone else did well enough. Bennett looked ok and Gallagher worked a really hard. Main concern is the lack of clear chances we created today and last week, Disappointed with how we seemed to down tools after their second. We ran out of steam in the second half and the subs had no real impact. 

Fulham were solid but unspectacular. They will get better I’m sure. 

As a stand alone performance there’s plenty to be pleased about, But we need that first point to get things going, 

Thanks Magic. Plenty going on here tonight with posters annoyed at TM decision to bring on subs in last 15 minutes as a last gasp to equalise but played players out of position which is what TM does. Annoyingly for me he's states game plan worked even though no shots on target. 

One poster at the game stated TM didn't acknowledge away support. If true that's poor. We have a great away following. 

Edited by Cherry Blue

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Thanks Magic. Plenty going on here tonight with posters annoyed at TM decision to bring on subs in last 15 minutes as a last gasp to equalise but played players out of position which is what TM does. Annoyingly for me he's states game plan worked even though no shots on target. 

One poster at the game stated TM didn't acknowledge away support. If true that's poor. We have a great away following. 

He did acknowledge the fans but there wasn't too much enthusiasm in his clapping.

• Like 2

As a stand alone performance there’s plenty to be pleased about, But we need that first point to get things going, 

Playing well and losing is a very bad sign.

It's what relegation teams do. 

• Like 5

Just got back.

I haven’t read any comments so got no idea what the general consensus is.

Overall I was encouraged. I expected a battering and it never looked like occurring. We were by far the better side in the first half and marginally second best in the second. The end result was harsh and a draw would have been fair.

Positives:

Tosin and Williams. Solid throughout. We won’t miss Mulgrew if Tosin can keep that up. Williams looks far more accomplished at CB.

Dack. Was flying into everything and stood out in the first half. He won’t be here for much longer so we should make the most of it, Really encouraged by how well he played.

Travis and Johnson. It works, Really effective together. Best centre mid pairing in years.

Negatives.

Armstrong, He’s not a winger. Gets in behind but the end product isn’t there. Move him central or bring Chapman in.

Bell. Improved in the second half but was clearly our weak link. It’s Cunningham’s spot to lose.

Rothwell. Barely noticed him. Deserves more chances and did nothing wrong but didn’t provide much.

Everyone else did well enough. Bennett looked ok and Gallagher worked a really hard. Main concern is the lack of clear chances we created today and last week, Disappointed with how we seemed to down tools after their second. We ran out of steam in the second half and the subs had no real impact. 

Fulham were solid but unspectacular. They will get better I’m sure. 

As someone who also went to the game - and I suspect many on here didn't - the above is a fair summary. However Johnson was awful and almost out of self-control in the second half, giving away possession for fun. Gallagher trundles around and directs headers to nobody in particular and without looking like he'd score in a month. Walton looks to have no presence even though he was not really tested. Showed a lack of bravery in failing to cut out the cross for 2nd goal. Bell makes errors that are inexcusable at this level . Offered nothing down the left side as Rothwell persisted in running sideways across. Armstrong gets into great positions but lacks the ability to get round an opponent and the crosses are aimless. In a competitive league this bunch look set for a scrap near the bottom.

• Like 6

On the way back now. I thought the obvious weak link during an excellent first half hour was Bell so was quite excited about the future safe in the knowledge Cunningham will probably take his place. For the second week in a row though, Mowbray’s subs gave us less chance of getting anything out of the game. Why move Dack deeper when he is the one most likely to score? 

• Like 1

Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

It's really not. 

That's just the inverse of the tired cliche that "playing badly and still winning" is what title winning sides do. 

Of course they do, we ground out a load of wins in our title winning season. You don’t get 90+ points just playing sparkling football.

Edited by Mattyblue

3 hours ago, RovingRover said:

4 goals conceded in 2 games = Goalkeeper/defence isn't the problem

Had the minority of possession and failed to create clear-cut chances = Midfield isn't a problem

0 shots on target, whilst four forwards were on the pitch = Everything's fine!

We did alright today against, on paper, the strongest side in the league. First half we played some really good stuff and based on that alone, I wouldn’t be concerned.

The problem isn’t today, it’s the loss against Charlton. That’s why today feels worse. 

Personally, I quite like the look of our squad. Tosin showed some real promise and could be the answer at CB. Cunningham ticks all the boxes at lb too, 

In terms of TM. The credit has been spent and he will be judged on results. He’s given us stability and I’m not as negative on his transfer dealings as others but if things don’t improve then we’ll need new ideas. Im tired of seeing players out of position each week and his stubbornness is his undoing. Feels similar to Bowyer’s last few months..

• Like 2