BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greg Cunningham signs on season-long loan from Cardiff

My only concern with Cunningham is the limited amount of football he has played in the last two seasons. 8 appearances in all competitions last season (in which he got 3 yellows) and 21 the season before (4 yellows, a goal, 2 assists).

I don't mean that this means he mustn't be good enough. I assume the limited games for Preston that year must have been due to injury since he moved to the Prem for 4 mill at the end of it, and last season he was apparently just up against a very good LB. But players sometimes go backwards after not playing much for a couple of seasons.

Also a bit of a shame it's just a loan and with no option to buy either (according to roving rover's ITK info anyway). But I can see the logic. They paid 4 million last season so I assume would want about 3 now, or in a clause for next year. This would be quite a lot for a LB who would be 29 by then, when we have 3 other LBs on the books taking wages. That said, Bell will be out of contract next summer. I think Hart too?

But the key thing is, we were crap at LB all last season and now we have somebody who is meant to be very decent there. Along with Johnson, this is probably going to be our key bit of business in terms of being someone who should definitely upgrade our first XI from last season.

Decent signing in an area that needs improvement but lack of games makes him a prime candidate for the treatment of endless bedding in, highly likely to play second fiddle to other favs anyway.

Should have been a proper CH though.

• Like 1

Concentrating solely on the left back position, a definite positive. Absolutely no way we can carry on with Bell.

Just a shame he’ll need weeks of acclimatising like Tosin, I mean if he’d have been picked instead of Charlie, it could’ve turned into a debacle of an afternoon...

Edited by Mattyblue

Welcome Greg, to the crazy 'will we /won't we' world of  Blackburn Rovers. No doubt if you have even half a decent footballing brain, your future here is certain to be well regarded. Just so you know, we appreciate players who try hard, who visibly give a sh1t* the field, and who keep going for the 90 minutes or so during the game. Not much to ask, I guess! 

Anyway, I personally hope your stay is a rewarding and happy one. Good luck!

* about the game, the fans and the need to strive for a result (i.e. not taking a dump on Ewood, a practice previously undertaken by certain past it would be pundits here only for their last snout in the trough payday).

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary C said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully he will dislodge the frustration that is Amari Bell

Apparently our defence was fine on Saturday so provided he helps to keep the GA down to 2 per game, Bell can expect to be in for a good while yet.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, darrenrover said:

What's the latest on the injury to Cunningham?

Very good question, as far as I've seen the club has been completely silent on it. It was clear how much worse our defence got when Bell replaced him.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Doesn't sound too good it looks like Del might have to go back to LB because Bell really isn't good enough for cover even.  

That would be entirely the wrong move unless Tosin is a distinct upgrade on Del at CB, because Del isn't any better than Bell at LB. Both very poor there. I'd generally say Del is worse in fact. Although Bell was atrocious on Saturday.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, bluebruce said:

That would be entirely the wrong move unless Tosin is a distinct upgrade on Del at CB, because Del isn't any better than Bell at LB. Both very poor there. I'd generally say Del is worse in fact. Although Bell was atrocious on Saturday.

Would have to disagree, Williams is a shit left back but Bell is just an absolute disgrace of a footballer. As bad a left back as I can remember seeing.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Would have to disagree, Williams is a shit left back but Bell is just an absolute disgrace of a footballer. As bad a left back as I can remember seeing.

Not sure either of us should disagree with the other too hard on this. It's kinda like comparing dog shit and cat shit.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

Had a scan at Cardiff and awaiting results according to LT. Williams drafted in to play for Ireland now so he better not get injured or we will have a back 4 of 

Bennett   Nyambe   Toshin   Bell

Not that injuries are not part and parcel of every season, which is why "defenders are coming".

Obviously we have catered for every eventuality! 

Seriously, we were told on here that Tony had resolved the defensive problems when we got that little sequence of clean sheets!

Most  of us however, thought we were rather on the thin side! And so its proving to be. :angry: