BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greg Cunningham signs on season-long loan from Cardiff

From the ‘Fans Jury’ in the LT...

Greg Cunningham has arguably been Tony Mowbray's best bit of business this year. He hasn't wowed me, but he's brought balance, consistency and inspired confidence in all around him.

I personally think Amari'i Bell is a better player with better athleticism and technical ability, he just lacks the self-assurance that Cunningham has developed which counts for so much more.

Kelvin Wilkins

Time to dismiss them m’lord.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I still think we will have a good season. We just need to have our best players, playing in the best positions

Which isn't going to happen, haven't you been paying attention?

And now one of those best players is injured long term, with his replacement about as useful as having a tongue on your arse crack.

(A tongue of your own I mean)

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Gutted for him and us, I think I’m the only person who doesn’t think Bell is that bad, not great, barely good but to me not as bad as some think.

Sorry Tom.

Bell is THAT bad. Like almost barely good is an acceptable standard for Rovers ?

Aren't we still waiting for the verdict on the Lenihan injury ?

• Like 2

I knew Cunningham had done his cruciate as soon as I saw him do the injury and then try to carry on.

I did my PCL many years ago and at first the knee feels strange but not that painful. So then you try to play on but it soon becomes apparent you cannot move properly because the knee is weak and wobbly.

Cunningham will be out for the season, a real blow for Rovers as it leaves us with a League One defence - an inexcusable state of affairs when the defence has been so poor for 18 months or more.

Mowbray needs to find some better defenders from somewhere - and soon. 

• Like 4

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I knew Cunningham had done his cruciate as soon as I saw him do the injury and then try to carry on.

I did my PCL many years ago and at first the knee feels strange but not that painful. So then you try to play on but it soon becomes apparent you cannot move properly because the knee is weak and wobbly.

Cunningham will be out for the season, a real blow for Rovers as it leaves us with a League One defence - an inexcusable state of affairs when the defence has been so poor for 18 months or more.

Deep now we knew that Mowbray's failings in the summer transfer market would come back to haunt us.

Absolutely disastrous and he's let us down badly.

Just incredible with his years of experience. Sack him.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

From the ‘Fans Jury’ in the LT...

Greg Cunningham has arguably been Tony Mowbray's best bit of business this year. He hasn't wowed me, but he's brought balance, consistency and inspired confidence in all around him.

I personally think Amari'i Bell is a better player with better athleticism and technical ability, he just lacks the self-assurance that Cunningham has developed which counts for so much more.

Kelvin Wilkins

Time to dismiss them m’lord.

Christ, I hope Kelvin isn’t being paid for that utter nonsense.

This is an absolute disaster, if any other player in the starting line up got injured we’d have someone too step in and replace them, the difference between the quality of Cunningham and Bell is night and day. We are fucked now. Having Bell back in the team will cost us points that we can’t afford to be dropping. Isn’t it crazy how a few games ago we were slightly optimistic about what we could achieve this season, now it looks like we’ve all come to terms with a mediocre 14th-17th finish, which I think will be the outcome of our season. Roll on next August, there is no way in hell a back four of Bennett Lenihan Williams/Toisin Bell is getting us to the playoffs, I know I’m stating the obvious in saying that but it’s true. What a shame.

• Like 1

I really see no upside from here. Same porous, weak defence as last season, essentially the same team apart from 35-year-old Downing. Non-scoring striker in Gallagher and Brrereton, Graham on his last legs.  The league table doesn't lie - it's a true reflection on the ability of this team. Flirting with relegation is a risk

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tom said:

Gutted for him and us, I think I’m the only person who doesn’t think Bell is that bad, not great, barely good but to me not as bad as some think.

One of the worst defenders I have ever seen. He always stands of his opponent and just let's him get a cross into the box unchallenged, it's not good enough from a full back in any team at any level but even worse in our team as our centre backs appear not to be able to challenge for the ball in the air. Plus his whole demeanour on the pitch is terrible he wanders about like he is out for an afternoon stroll and doing the team a favour by being there.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

One of the worst defenders I have ever seen. He always stands of his opponent and just let's him get a cross into the box unchallenged, it's not good enough from a full back in any team at any level but even worse in our team as our centre backs appear not to be able to challenge for the ball in the air. Plus his whole demeanour on the pitch is terrible he wanders about like he is out for an afternoon stroll and doing the team a favour by being there.

Yes and who signed him ? Was he ever scouted  ? It was a signing than seemed to be a last minute  " We've got a bit of money, who can we spend it on ? " type of signing. At the time we weren't crying out for a left back.

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It's such a blow for us as he was looking like a massive improvement in that position. I very much doubt we'll see him again this season, as you say. 

I tore my ACL about 6/7 weeks ago and it's such a strange feeling. I had very severe immediate pain when it happened and had to be carried off the pitch. Sitting on the sidelines with my leg outstrectched I genuinely felt like I could've gone back on. The hobble back to the changing rooms definitely proved that I couldn't! Had to spend 4 weeks working from home as I just couldn't get up and about. For the rigours of professional football, it's going to be at least 6 months before he can confidently get going again.

35 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He has some natural talent though.He ought not to be a lost cause. He can run with the ball and beat defenders. But he can't pass, cross or defend!

There's something there but I don't think we will ever see it.

It's like Groundhog Day again after Mowbray refused to bring in defenders last January and we almost immediately lost Lenihan and Mulgrew to injury. Although there is no word on Lenihans injury I noticed he is already on four yellow cards and one more will bring an automatic suspension. It also appears that Tosin is made of marzipan having spent most of his time here injured.

Mowbray has once again dropped an almighty bollock.

Makes me laugh at the automatic 'hard luck' angle that the media are spinning to these injuries as though the gods have turned on us and it was entirely freak circumstances that has seen Cunningham and Lenihan pick up injuries.

Not having it.

A look a Lenihan's career to date shows a mid term injury is never far away. Injuries are frequent particularly when playing 3 games a week in the Championship. Only a fool would bet on him being available for a full season.

Mowbray/Rovers mental transfer approach is now going to bite us big style. Meanwhile his captain up until the Fulham game plays down at Wigan presumably whilst we contribute to his wages.

Just annoys me the number of people who buy the hard luck tales of woe rather than analysing our business and asking what the hell we've been doing.

• Like 6

Just now, frosty said:

The official Rovers account have just tweeted he's out for the next 6-8 weeks ? We'll be so short now.

I'm actually fuming with Mowbray over this. We all knew Lenihan would get a fairly extensive injury at some point this season - he's always prone to them. We're now left with just Tosin/Williams as our centre half pairing, realistically, until the new year. These two have never played together before AND have never had consistent runs at centre half before - let alone at this level. 

"Defenders are coming". It's all so obvious to everyone but Tony. 

With Bell back in now too, I foresee a relegation battle looming. Take a brave Rovers fan to suggest otherwise with that backline.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4