BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greg Cunningham signs on season-long loan from Cardiff

• Moderation Lead

This is exactly why defenders should have actually been coming! 

But at the time, we were told ‘don’t hang on Mowbray’s every word’. 

This was all so very avoidable.

Sigh.

• Like 5

I sincerely hope as JH Rover points out that people don't fall for the hard luck line. No doubt Sharpe is drafting one for Mowbray right now though which will be gobbled up by the deaf and blind. It's piss poor planning of the highest order.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

Just now, frosty said:

The official Rovers account have just tweeted he's out for the next 6-8 weeks ? We'll be so short now.

It's just another example of how badly run we are when we can hand out new contracts to the likes of Platt and Wharton who will never get near the first team whilst ignoring our major weakness. Mowbray has really gambled all his chips on no defenders getting injured and eleven games in it has bitten him on the arse.

It's really poor management and a real gamble with the future of our club.

• Like 5

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

It's just another example of how badly run we are when we can hand out new contracts to the likes of Platt and Wharton who will never get near the first team

Could be seeing one or both of them in the first team pretty soon if Del or Tosin pick up another injury.

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

He has some natural talent though.He ought not to be a lost cause. He can run with the ball and beat defenders. But he can't pass, cross or defend!

There's something there but I don't think we will ever see it.

You missed out, tackle or head a ball.

• Like 2

All are depressing but which would you personally choose?

Bennett Nyambe Tosin Williams Hart

or...

Bennett Tosin Williams Hart

or...

Bennett Nyambe Tosin Williams

or...

Nyambe Tosin Williams Hart

Just now, JoeH said:

All are depressing but which would you personally choose?

Bennett Nyambe Tosin Williams Hart

or...

Bennett Tosin Williams Hart

or...

Bennett Nyambe Tosin Williams

or...

Nyambe Tosin Williams Hart

for me the last one

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

if there is a plus side ALL the loanees can be recalled at the opening of the transfer market ! Looks like we should be scraping the barrell for a freebie ch as well now.

Johan Djourou, SAMBA and James Collins all free and club less, Marc Wilson also a freebie at the moment

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

if there is a plus side ALL the loanees can be recalled at the opening of the transfer market ! Looks like we should be scraping the barrell for a freebie ch as well now.

Johan Djourou, SAMBA and James Collins all free and club less, Marc Wilson also a freebie at the moment

James Collins, Djourou and Samba? Crikey. I'd sooner see Joe Grayson Matty Platt and Charley Doyle as a back three.

Just now, 1864roverite said:

That's not the worst idea but the downside is that Mowbray would want to integrate them to his methods and workings and from previous history that could take a while.

What. A. Suprise. 

We were short defensively both on numbers and quality. (After our best back 4 it gets scarily bad.) We're in real trouble given suspensions and niggles will also inevitably come. Hopefully it means Nayambe's shoddy treatment is over but I suspect we will see a lot of midfielders in defence over the next few months

Both Olsson's are unattached at the moment and either could be brought in. Therefore we have an expensive option and a cheaper option !!!

Siurely it makes sense in this scenario.

As for Lenihan, that's a blow but I would probably have been starting Williams / Tosin at centre half.

Nyambe / Tosin / Williams / Martin Olson   would probably be a better defence than what we have been playing with !

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

For me you've got:

RB: Bennett, Nyambe, Rankin-Costello
CB: Williams, Tosin, Nyambe, Grayson, Doyle
LB: Bell, Hart, Downing, Davenport, Thompson

It's easily the worst defence in the division.

14 hours ago, 47er said:

Deep now we knew that Mowbray's failings in the summer transfer market would come back to haunt us.

Absolutely disastrous and he's let us down badly.

Just incredible with his years of experience. Sack him.

I still don't get this. 

After all TM's comments about crap defenders and with all his own experience, as a defender, he must absolutely know that you build a team from the back.

So why this"deliberate" neglect? Is he stupid and masochistic? Has he got some kind of manager's death wish? I doubt that- even after these last calamitous windows. There must be some constraints from elsewhere. Still, he appears onside with our ever so 'umble owners.

Anyway, I  have formed the opinion that TM is allowing his honest bloke image to be utilised to reconcile supporters to the totally unacceptable.

Now just watch for the facebook Rovers plants to play the hard luck / injuries story.

FOV....

• Like 1

This is why people had and continue to have doubts about Mowbray’s ability to take us forward.

Fans could see how short we were at the back but the happy accident of Williams having to be played at centre back occurred and it papered over some huge cracks.

I expected one defender to end up injured - in all honesty Lenihan - but losing him and Cunningham is a huge blow.

Season in tatters by October.

If the play-offs weren’t the target this year and Mowbray has a further 2-3 years to rebuild then it’s a false dichotomy as players will come to the end of contracts before every piece of the jigsaw is in place and a team can gel, and then we have to start again. We had most of the tools already and Mowbray bought extra craft knives when he needed lump hammers. But let’s be honest, the wheels came off when we didn’t take advantage of the momentum of promotion - as a club and a team. And it started when Mowbray nailed his colours to the last with that Charlton game...

Let’s hope we have enough about us to not get dragged into a relegation scrap because Mowbray teams don’t have the stomach for it.

• Like 3