BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Summary - Poll

Transfer Business  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this Summer’s transfer business?

• Brilliant
    • Good
    • Neither good nor bad
    • Bad
    • Awful

• Backroom

Not a single person on this board would have been happy with Williams as starting CB at the end of last season, so whilst it's fair for people to hold their hands up and say "I was wrong,", it's bullshit to go back and quote others expressing concerns about Williams as our only CB cover - unless you specifically defended him at the time, but I don't remember many if any doing so. 

• Like 4

Just now, 47er said:

TM has a real problem with Toisin now. Can't drop Williams but can't leave Toisin on he bench for weeks.

Right-back is the obvious move but the lad is on the record as not wanting to play there.

He will have to bide his time, unless we go 3 at the back. He will start against Sheffield United anyway for sure. 

Just now, 47er said:

TM has a real problem with Toisin now. Can't drop Williams but can't leave Toisin on he bench for weeks.

Right-back is the obvious move but the lad is on the record as not wanting to play there.

He won't drop Bennett though, no chance.

That's the issue, City wont want the lad not playing. He doesn't want to play RB but how can we break up a CB pairing with stats like the above? Can see City recalling him in January.

Guess we could play him against Cardiff and put Williams at LB for a match. 

Edited by JacknOry

Tosin looked pretty good against Fulham, although one game isn't enough to judge I'm optimistic about his ability at centre back.  Daragh and Derrick are not exactly famous for being injury free so I am sure he will get his chance so we will see whether he is good enough to oust one of them.  It is a good problem to have.  DL and DW have played well the last couple of games and those stats are fantastic but we are not talking Maldini and Moore.  I wouldn't worry too much about City just yet.

6 hours ago, DE. said:

Not a single person on this board would have been happy with Williams as starting CB at the end of last season, so whilst it's fair for people to hold their hands up and say "I was wrong,", it's bullshit to go back and quote others expressing concerns about Williams as our only CB cover - unless you specifically defended him at the time, but I don't remember many if any doing so. 

I think in the run in - April and May - it became clear that Williams was a decent centre back. I agree before that it wasn't very clear. But he rarely got a game as Mulgrew was first choice. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

IMG_20190821_081355.jpg

I have those stats as slightly different. Probably just down to the way the minutes on the pitch are collected, but I have it as slightly under 2 points per game and a 98 ish mins per goal against.

Either way that's automatic promotion standard. Mentioned this pairing (along with Bell and Bennett as the full backs) in the transfer window thread about a month ago as being by far and away our best defensive setup last year.

Also the fact that we were good defensively at home last year (I think we were 5th best at home off the top of my head). Our biggest problems that needed addressing were our defence away from home and our goal scoring record - particularly at home.

I think the success of the window will be determined by how our front players gel in the coming weeks and months - given goals get you out of this league and the money we've spent to get them. Let's not forget that of the front 4 yesterday, only Dack and Armstrong had started more than 3 competitive games together.

• Like 2

• Backroom
15 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think in the run in - April and May - it became clear that Williams was a decent centre back. I agree before that it wasn't very clear. But he rarely got a game as Mulgrew was first choice. 

Yeah Williams had a good run at the end of last season, but I still don't remember anyone saying they'd be happy with him as first choice this season. Most people from recollection were saying he'd make a good 3rd or 4th choice CB. Basically a Downing replacement. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Yeah Williams had a good run at the end of last season, but I still don't remember anyone saying they'd be happy with him as first choice this season. Most people from recollection were saying he'd make a good 3rd or 4th choice CB. Basically a Downing replacement. 

Ya, that's because if anyone said that they would have been rounded on by the mob! 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that's because if anyone said that they would have been rounded on by the mob! 

Probably, but tbf I don't think that was the reason for 99% of people. We only really had evidence of Williams performing poorly as a full back, and it would have been foolish to take a handful of dead rubbers at the end of the season as evidence that Williams has what it takes to be a first team CB. The fact he's started off this season looking very good obviously bodes well, but nobody can claim they saw this kind of form in Del.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Probably, but tbf I don't think that was the reason for 99% of people. We only really had evidence of Williams performing poorly as a full back, and it would have been foolish to take a handful of dead rubbers at the end of the season as evidence that Williams has what it takes to be a first team CB. The fact he's started off this season looking very good obviously bodes well, but nobody can claim they saw this kind of form in Del.

No, certainly not. It's great to see. I still think we could do with another body for CB though, just in case... 

• Like 1

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Any way of me finding out what I voted? I’m getting rather forgetful in my dotage 

You voted "good". In a public poll you can check who voted for what by clicking on the vote count next to the bars.

Just now, DE. said:

You voted "good". In a public poll you can check who voted for what by clicking on the vote count next to the bars.

Cheers for that - not sure it’s open for all to see.

I think I was between good / neither good or bad at the time but couldn’t remember what I plumped for.

Edited by Harry The Bass