BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Summary - Poll

Transfer Business  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this Summer’s transfer business?

• Brilliant
    • Good
    • Neither good nor bad
    • Bad
    • Awful

I think I’ll wait to see how the new guys perform before I vote. I’m probably in the minority but I was sad to see Mulgrew go at the last minute. He’s given me some of my favourite memories in a couple of bad seasons, I’ll not forget all his goals in a hurry, but I appreciate that he wasn’t a great centreback. 

Other than that we’ve kept hold of the players I’d like to keep hold of, but for me time will tell whether the incomings are worth it. I’m hopeful that Cunningham and adarabioyo can really improve our defence. If they do it’s a brilliant window but if they can’t I’ll be disappointed and tbf I’m a bit mystified at spending a good chunk of money on Gallagher but if he gets a lot of goals it’s a bargain. 

Tl:dr the jury is out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

If we're basing it purely on incomings it's good imo, but the outgoings make it average.

I feel like the squad is stronger as a whole, but I'm yet to be convinced we'll put out a stronger first eleven. We'll see.

I believe there is every chance we can flirt with 6th place, but it needs EVERYTHING to align perfectly. I think we have no more than a solid mid table side, unless the defence turns out to be better without Mulgrew being a first pick.

Certainly think that

Cunningham-Williams-Lenihan-Nyambe

looks stronger than

Williams-Mulgrew-Lenihan-Nyambe.

I doubt that back 4 will ever happen unless Bennett is unavailable.

Several key players we brought in I just don't know much about - Tosin, Cunningham, Walton - so need to form an opinion on those before judging the window as a whole.

On those I do know - Johnson looks quality, Downing is definitely a step up from Conway. Gallagher on the other hand strikes me as very similar to Brereton. I'm confused about how the both of them are going to get substantial game time.

Also not signing a second centreback was plain daft, and I am dreading when both Lenihan and Williams are out injured which is guaranteed to happen. I  sincerely hope Tosin is not injury prone.

• Backroom
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Downing is definitely a step up from Conway. 

Yeah, but unlike Conway we seem to have signed Downing as a first team player, which is keeping the likes of Rothwell out. Not sure I see that as a positive tbh. Very short term.

Just now, stinny1 said:

what i would like too see this week  his a new keeper Michel Vorm   center half Ashley Williams and Danny Simpson if possible   get these three in on a one year deals and change the formation  4.4.1.1

Mowbray/Waggott won’t break our wage structure.

It’s all about the harmony of The Group.

23 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Several key players we brought in I just don't know much about - Tosin, Cunningham, Walton - so need to form an opinion on those before judging the window as a whole.

On those I do know - Johnson looks quality, Downing is definitely a step up from Conway. Gallagher on the other hand strikes me as very similar to Brereton. I'm confused about how the both of them are going to get substantial game time.

Also not signing a second centreback was plain daft, and I am dreading when both Lenihan and Williams are out injured which is guaranteed to happen. I  sincerely hope Tosin is not injury prone.

I maybe be wrong here but I think Danny Graham is finished , and that is why Gallagher was signed .....Thus the reason why no central defender has been signed on a permanent basis.....

Bad.
Focus of last seasons failings was defence.
We ended the transfer window letting five 1st team defenders go and only bringing in two.

Including Harrison Reed, we had three 1st team midfielders depart, and we had two 1st team midfielders brought in.

Our front-line saw one forward in, and one forward out.

In terms of depth and quality. We failed on both counts in my opinion.

• Backroom
10 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I maybe be wrong here but I think Danny Graham is finished , and that is why Gallagher was signed .....Thus the reason why no central defender has been signed on a permanent basis.....

Maybe, but if so it must have happened fast over the summer as in our final four matches of last season Graham scored twice and got an assist. Overall 15 goals and 5 asissts in 43 appearances... compare and contrast to Mulgrew who was so abysmal after Christmas he was dropped in March, yet started this season as captain in the first eleven. Granted he has now been moved on, but that seemed to be a sudden decision rather than a long term plan. 

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I am trying to work out the logic as to why Graham has not started the season , I think Gallagher was an odd buy , he was not needed a centre half was ..It doesnt make any sense ..

Perhaps Venky's were only willing to release the £5m to sign him if he played regularly up top? After seeing Mowbray throw £7m away on Brereton last season it wouldn't be an unreasonable demand. Gallagher hasn't been subbed in either of our first two games. Graham and Brereton came on for Travis and Rothwell yesterday, whilst Graham came on for Armstrong against Charlton. 

• Like 1

Just now, Waggy76 said:

I am trying to work out the logic as to why Graham has not started the season , I think Gallagher was an odd buy , he was not needed a centre half was ..It doesnt make any sense ..

I think there is some logic to it. This could well be Graham’s last full season. We have to develop a style that doesn’t centre around him as the target man. Having him hand over the baton to someone else, playing for 30 minutes rather than 60-70. I’m not fully convinced he is an impact sub though because of the personnel we have. Defenders are well in the game rather than softened up.

The bigger issue is that we don’t yet have the right player to hand over to, with Mowbray wasting the big money we had. Brereton (our wide forward) looks like he has already been replaced with Gallagher, and Gallagher isn’t pulling up any trees.

Mowbray might turn this around and get enough points for us to stay in and around lower midtable but I fear that this is a similar story to Bowyer’s embarrassment-of-riches season where - although lower in quality - we still don’t know how to use them properly. Ultimately we fell backwards when patience (and lines of credit?) ran out and it was time to cash in.

I honestly think he has taken us as far as he can. He has been a horror show when it comes to recruitment; his tactics and team selections are more miss than hit; and his substitutions baffling.

I’m fearful of suggesting that Johnson be promoted to first team head coach in case he is then removed as part of a future cull but we need to do something differently.

Venus and Lowe have to share some responsibility for how poorly staffed and drilled our players are we are - particularly as Mowbray has all but pointed the finger of blame at Venus for the players we have signed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Perhaps Venky's were only willing to release the £5m to sign him if he played regularly up top? After seeing Mowbray throw £7m away on Brereton last season it wouldn't be an unreasonable demand. Gallagher hasn't been subbed in either of our first two games. Graham and Brereton came on for Travis and Rothwell yesterday, whilst Graham came on for Armstrong against Charlton. 

I think you are absolutely right.

Wasn't a Gallagher fan when he was first here and from what I've seen, I don't think his game has developed - in fact it's gone backwards.

I expect Graham to be back for M'boro with Gallagher shunted out wide, again.

Just now, K-Hod said:

‘Defensively we’re fine’.

Bennett (88/129)

Williams (40/64)

Bell (38/50)

Nyambe (25/53)

Adarabioyo (1/1)

Cunningham (0/0)

Hart (0/3)

Platt (0/0)

Grayson (0/0)

That’s all of our defensive options if Lenihan gets injured. We have precisely two senior centre backs at the club, and that includes Tosin who has played one game for us!

Our first choice right back is a midfielder!

Three of our options have never played a Championship match!

Not replacing Mulgrew is a big problem.

Mowbray is far too heart over head in my opinion. Successful football managers are far more ruthless, even calculating. If we were going to let Mulgrew go this should have been managed not a last minute reaction.

(*Championship games / EFL games for Rovers)

Just now, Stuart said:

That’s all of our defensive options if Lenihan gets injured. We have precisely two senior centre backs at the club, and that includes Tosin who has played one game for us!

“He picked up a knock in training, a bit of fluid on the back of his knee" - Mowbray quote in LT

In an older player towards the end of his career, fluid at the back of the knee could be down to arthritis, in a younger player like Lenihan, it's more likely to be indicative of a cartilage tear.  Think Lenihan is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Voted neither good nor bad 

not a good window because we havnt addressed all last seasons weaknesses 

not a bad window because we havnt lost the Crown Jewels I.e Dack & Lenihan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Bennett (88/129)

Williams (40/64)

Bell (38/50)

Nyambe (25/53)

Adarabioyo (1/1)

Cunningham (0/0)

Hart (0/3)

Platt (0/0)

Grayson (0/0)

Our first choice right back is a midfielder!

Three of our options have never played a Championship match!

Not replacing Mulgrew is a big problem.

Mowbray is far too heart over head in my opinion. Successful football managers are far more ruthless, even calculating. If we were going to let Mulgrew go this should have been managed not a last minute reaction.

(*Championship games / EFL games for Rovers)

Tbh, in a thread about how the transfer window went, it's a bit odd to talk about the games players have played for us. Anyone we sign, unless an ex-player of ours, will start at 0...

Would have been better to show the total games in those leagues or higher. That would have still highlighted a lack of experience at the back for a few players.

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Tbh, in a thread about how the transfer window went, it's a bit odd to talk about the games players have played for us. Anyone we sign, unless an ex-player of ours, will start at 0...

Would have been better to show the total games in those leagues or higher. That would have still highlighted a lack of experience at the back for a few players.

Fair. Maybe you could research for each player and add that.

I was making the point that we have a very inexperienced and threadbare defence.

Three of those have been with us for years and aren’t close to the first team. Only two are new - which is part of the problem.

Cheers for the contribution though. :tu: 

50 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Fair. Maybe you could research for each player and add that.

I was making the point that we have a very inexperienced and threadbare defence.

Three of those have been with us for years and aren’t close to the first team. Only two are new - which is part of the problem.

Cheers for the contribution though. :tu: 

I research the points I'm tryna make, not the ones you're tryna make ;)

Just didn't think showing their games with us shows their inexperience. It'd be like saying Downing was inexperienced.

Absolutely take your point with the youngsters though. To have any reliance on them when they've had no game time at this level is madness.

All but the most insanely defensive of the club can see the lack of depth in our defence now. In fairness, the best four is probably a fairly decent one. But the fact two of that best four were injured this weekend goes to show why failing to add properly to the defence was borderline suicidal. The fact that the manager seems unwilling to play one of those even when he is fit puts a huge question mark over the gaffer. I wish it were the only one...

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

All but the most insanely defensive of the club can see the lack of depth in our defence now. In fairness, the best four is probably a fairly decent one. But the fact two of that best four were injured this weekend goes to show why failing to add properly to the defence was borderline suicidal. The fact that the manager seems unwilling to play one of those even when he is fit puts a huge question mark over the gaffer. I wish it were the only one...

Our best back four is presumably Cunningham Tosin Lenihan Nyambe?

The jury is well and truly out - and Lenihan is injured.

Cunningham Tosin ????? Nyambe isn’t quite as good.