BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Summary - Poll

Transfer Business  

181 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this Summer’s transfer business?

• Brilliant
    • Good
    • Neither good nor bad
    • Bad
    • Awful

Just now, Stuart said:

Our best back four is presumably Cunningham Tosin Lenihan Nyambe?

The jury is well and truly out - and Lenihan is injured.

Cunningham Tosin ????? Nyambe isn’t quite as good.

Tosin is meant to have done well yesterday, and impressed a fair bit when CB at WBA. Cunningham is also supposed to be a good player at this level, which puts him at least a full level above Bell. Personally I rate Nyambe and Lenihan most of the time. Think they can both kick on too, especially if helped by better partners than they've had.

Past reputations elsewhere don't matter in blue and white though. Many players look good or crap at one club and completely reverse at another. The key here is in how they end up gelling as a unit.

But yep once we get injuries - and it was always inevitable Lenihan was going to get one, fuck knows why Tony didn't learn his lesson there - it starts to look really thin. The jury is out on whether Williams is adequate cover at CB. He gave me nightmares at LB. Even if he does prove adequate in the middle, any more injuries, suspensions or loss of form there leave us more vulnerable than a Venkys 'dry powder' transfer fund keg once the window shuts.

Goalie still not inspiring yet either.

Just now, Stuart said:

Our best back four is presumably Cunningham Tosin Lenihan Nyambe?

The jury is well and truly out - and Lenihan is injured.

Cunningham Tosin ????? Nyambe isn’t quite as good.

I think a back 3 with bell and nyambe wing backs. Get more central mids in and try dominate the midfield....

Just now, bluebruce said:

Tosin is meant to have done well yesterday, and impressed a fair bit when CB at WBA. Cunningham is also supposed to be a good player at this level, which puts him at least a full level above Bell. Personally I rate Nyambe and Lenihan most of the time. Think they can both kick on too, especially if helped by better partners than they've had.

Past reputations elsewhere don't matter in blue and white though. Many players look good or crap at one club and completely reverse at another. The key here is in how they end up gelling as a unit.

But yep once we get injuries - and it was always inevitable Lenihan was going to get one, fuck knows why Tony didn't learn his lesson there - it starts to look really thin. The jury is out on whether Williams is adequate cover at CB. He gave me nightmares at LB. Even if he does prove adequate in the middle, any more injuries, suspensions or loss of form there leave us more vulnerable than a Venkys 'dry powder' transfer fund keg once the window shuts.

Goalie still not inspiring yet either.

People were saying this all through the window yet Mowbray didn’t address it. Well, he did, he let Wharton, Magloire and Mulgrew go out on loan all at the same time!

12 hours ago, Stuart said:

People were saying this all through the window yet Mowbray didn’t address it. Well, he did, he let Wharton, Magloire and Mulgrew go out on loan all at the same time!

He basically did exactly what he did last window. Both windows, everyone could see the defence was short on quality and, due to the injury proneness of some, depth too. Both windows instead of fixing this he let people go out on loan.

Except last time I think it was just Downing? This time he tripled the folly. Staggering.

Both times, Lenihan proceeded to get injured immediately to highlight it. Hopefully the injury is less severe this time.

Just now, bluebruce said:

He basically did exactly what he did last window. Both windows, everyone could see the defence was short on quality and, due to the injury proneness of some, depth too. Both windows instead of fixing this he let people go out on loan.

Except last time I think it was just Downing? This time he tripled the folly. Staggering.

Both times, Lenihan proceeded to get injured immediately to highlight it. Hopefully the injury is less severe this time.

Ya, any word on that actually? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's mad isn't it that Mowbray can identify a guy like this, but then fail to find someone else all summer after that deal fell through. Where is the plan B? 

Tosin by the looks of it. Can’t believe we’re already Lenihan down. Well I can but you know what I mean! Such poor recruitment.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's mad isn't it that Mowbray can identify a guy like this, but then fail to find someone else all summer after that deal fell through. Where is the plan B? 

Think most of us would have been happy with Bauer and Tosin/Lenihan at the back. Would have given us decent depth with Williams in contention as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He made a huge mistake in telling Bauer that he had to fight his way into a team that had Mulgrew or Williams as front runners to partner Lenihan.

It’s all well and good people saying the player’s attitude was wrong if he expected to be an automatic starter (his place to lose). I’d argue that Mowbray’s attitude was wrong.

• Like 2

INS

Stewart Downing - Better than Conway, a little more versatile and something different.

Bradley Johnson - Great addition, will help bring out the (ignore the Burnley connection and focus on the Merseyside one) Joey Barton side of Lewis Travis.

Sam Gallagher - Good player, but a lot of money on someone who probably won't get more than 10 this year.

Tosin Adarabioyo (loan) - A good player, but when compared man for man to Wharton, Magloire, Mulgrew and Rodwell leaving this is bad business.

Christian Walton (loan) - Like for like with Raya, but positive rather than negative as the club gained financially from this without losing quality.

Greg Cunningham (loan) - What a signing. Easily in the top 3 full-backs in the league, was amazing at Preston and unfortunate not to be playing PL football right now.

OUT

Wharton (loan) - Clearly never going to make it, another Hardcastle/Tomlinson who deserves some security with a full time League Two/One move.

Magloire (loan) - Great move for us and for the player, he needs the experience and nobody can moan about this one.

Mulgrew (loan)* - Weirdest bit of business this window in the EFL besides Mooy signing a four year deal then leaving on Loan to BHA.

Paul Downing - Haven't replaced him, so poor work here. Solid defender who always turned up when needed. BUT he wanted the move so TM's hands tied here.

Joe Nuttall - Poor transfer for us. A good player who when given the chance, scored at every level. Proved more lethal than BB in the short game time he had. Weird one.

Harrison Reed (end of loan) - Gutted he's gone, and intruiging that we tried again, but happy with Travis/Johnson and would've been a big cut of budget.

Craig Conway - His time had come to a close at Rovers, this move made sense and I hope he succeeds at Bolton (all being well)

Jack Rodwell - Clearly a bad egg, and clearly doesn't care about the club at all having been on hiatus for two months. Feck off.

David Raya - Good fee, made errors and has been replaced. Can't complain too much, only hang up is he was "one of our own"

• Like 1

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

INS

Stewart Downing - Better than Conway, a little more versatile and something different.

Bradley Johnson - Great addition, will help bring out the (ignore the Burnley connection and focus on the Merseyside one) Joey Barton side of Lewis Travis.

Sam Gallagher - Good player, but a lot of money on someone who probably won't get more than 10 this year.

Tosin Adarabioyo (loan) - A good player, but when compared man for man to Wharton, Magloire, Mulgrew and Rodwell leaving this is bad business.

Christian Walton (loan) - Like for like with Raya, but positive rather than negative as the club gained financially from this without losing quality.

Greg Cunningham (loan) - What a signing. Easily in the top 3 full-backs in the league, was amazing at Preston and unfortunate not to be playing PL football right now.

OUT

Wharton (loan) - Clearly never going to make it, another Hardcastle/Tomlinson who deserves some security with a full time League Two/One move.

Magloire (loan) - Great move for us and for the player, he needs the experience and nobody can moan about this one.

Mulgrew (loan)* - Weirdest bit of business this window in the EFL besides Mooy signing a four year deal then leaving on Loan to BHA.

Paul Downing - Haven't replaced him, so poor work here. Solid defender who always turned up when needed. BUT he wanted the move so TM's hands tied here.

Joe Nuttall - Poor transfer for us. A good player who when given the chance, scored at every level. Proved more lethal than BB in the short game time he had. Weird one.

Harrison Reed (end of loan) - Gutted he's gone, and intruiging that we tried again, but happy with Travis/Johnson and would've been a big cut of budget.

Craig Conway - His time had come to a close at Rovers, this move made sense and I hope he succeeds at Bolton (all being well)

Jack Rodwell - Clearly a bad egg, and clearly doesn't care about the club at all having been on hiatus for two months. Feck off.

David Raya - Good fee, made errors and has been replaced. Can't complain too much, only hang up is he was "one of our own"

I think the main frustration for me is we spent £5 million on Gallagher who will probably end up out of position and ineffective on the wing when Graham comes back in to get the best out of Dack.

I think Mowbray is slow to react in the window. I like the Downing and Johnson signings , but how did we not sign a plan B when the Bauer deal fell through early in the window? 

Also, I wouldn't agree with the line about Walton being a positive because we turned a profit. Ok, that money went towards Gallagher, but I come back to the question , did we need him? Surely we could have spent the Brereton money better. Mowbray doesn't even start Berereton upfront. 

It's all starting to look a bit mad to me. We are lucky that we somehow managed to get to the top of the queue to sign Cunningham

However think about next summer, between loans returning and players out of contract , we are going to be looking at signings what, 8-9 players? Does anyone think that is going to go well? 

• Like 3

On 09/08/2019 at 03:38, DeeCee said:

Not over or underwhelmed, I must be whelmed.

This got me wondering...and turns out whelmed still means you're overwhelmed. Just can't be middle of the road eh?

whelm

[ hwelm, welm ]SHOW IPA
EXAMPLES|WORD ORIGIN

verb (used with object)

to submerge; engulf.
to overcome utterly; overwhelm:whelmed by misfortune.

verb (used without object)

to roll or surge over something, as in becoming submerged.
  • Like 1

I am starting to think that if it was a toss up between Cunningham or a new CB, we have done good business. He is going to prove to be a huge signing this season. It's so refreshing to have a quality left back. 

The worry now and the job for the backroom team is managing Lenihan, Williams and Tosin so that we always have at least two of them fit. Fingers crossed. Either of those two with Cunningham full back means we are stronger than last season at the back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am starting to think that if it was a toss up between Cunningham or a new CB, we have done good business. He is going to prove to be a huge signing this season. It's so refreshing to have a quality left back. 

The worry now and the job for the backroom team is managing Lenihan, Williams and Tosin so that we always have at least two of them fit. Fingers crossed. Either of those two with Cunningham full back means we are stronger than last season at the back. 

The other worry is that both Cunningham and Tosin could go back at the end of the season and we have to go out and fix those problems again.

• Like 2

Hmm. I am beginning to see some sense in the summer transfer policy. CB pecking order is now Lenihan, Williams, Tosin, Nyambe, Cunningham. Depends if Nyambe and Cunningham can play centreback, which is a huge if, but if they can what we've done makes sense.

Still one more good centreback would make everyone feel a lot better.

• Like 2