Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Summer Transfer Summary - Poll

Transfer Business  

178 members have voted

  1. 1. How do you rate this Summer’s transfer business?

    • Brilliant
      0
    • Good
      32
    • Neither good nor bad
      66
    • Bad
      64
    • Awful
      16


Recommended Posts

Not a single person on this board would have been happy with Williams as starting CB at the end of last season, so whilst it's fair for people to hold their hands up and say "I was wrong,", it's bullshit to go back and quote others expressing concerns about Williams as our only CB cover - unless you specifically defended him at the time, but I don't remember many if any doing so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

 

IMG_20190821_081355.jpg

Real do! Keep them both fit and that's 101points and promotion for us then 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

First business for January should be to sign Cunningham on a permanent deal. Wasn't a flawless performance last night but he's going to be a goodun. 

Absolute must, but how much will we be talking? Hopefully it is being worked on as we speak 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TM has a real problem with Toisin now. Can't drop Williams but can't leave Toisin on he bench for weeks.

Right-back is the obvious move but the lad is on the record as not wanting to play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

TM has a real problem with Toisin now. Can't drop Williams but can't leave Toisin on he bench for weeks.

Right-back is the obvious move but the lad is on the record as not wanting to play there.

He will have to bide his time, unless we go 3 at the back. He will start against Sheffield United anyway for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

TM has a real problem with Toisin now. Can't drop Williams but can't leave Toisin on he bench for weeks.

Right-back is the obvious move but the lad is on the record as not wanting to play there.

He won't drop Bennett though, no chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the issue, City wont want the lad not playing. He doesn't want to play RB but how can we break up a CB pairing with stats like the above? Can see City recalling him in January.

Guess we could play him against Cardiff and put Williams at LB for a match. 

Edited by JacknOry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Tosin looked pretty good against Fulham, although one game isn't enough to judge I'm optimistic about his ability at centre back.  Daragh and Derrick are not exactly famous for being injury free so I am sure he will get his chance so we will see whether he is good enough to oust one of them.  It is a good problem to have.  DL and DW have played well the last couple of games and those stats are fantastic but we are not talking Maldini and Moore.  I wouldn't worry too much about City just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DE. said:

Not a single person on this board would have been happy with Williams as starting CB at the end of last season, so whilst it's fair for people to hold their hands up and say "I was wrong,", it's bullshit to go back and quote others expressing concerns about Williams as our only CB cover - unless you specifically defended him at the time, but I don't remember many if any doing so. 

I think in the run in - April and May - it became clear that Williams was a decent centre back. I agree before that it wasn't very clear. But he rarely got a game as Mulgrew was first choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

 

IMG_20190821_081355.jpg

I have those stats as slightly different. Probably just down to the way the minutes on the pitch are collected, but I have it as slightly under 2 points per game and a 98 ish mins per goal against.

Either way that's automatic promotion standard. Mentioned this pairing (along with Bell and Bennett as the full backs) in the transfer window thread about a month ago as being by far and away our best defensive setup last year.

Also the fact that we were good defensively at home last year (I think we were 5th best at home off the top of my head). Our biggest problems that needed addressing were our defence away from home and our goal scoring record - particularly at home.

I think the success of the window will be determined by how our front players gel in the coming weeks and months - given goals get you out of this league and the money we've spent to get them. Let's not forget that of the front 4 yesterday, only Dack and Armstrong had started more than 3 competitive games together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think in the run in - April and May - it became clear that Williams was a decent centre back. I agree before that it wasn't very clear. But he rarely got a game as Mulgrew was first choice. 

Yeah Williams had a good run at the end of last season, but I still don't remember anyone saying they'd be happy with him as first choice this season. Most people from recollection were saying he'd make a good 3rd or 4th choice CB. Basically a Downing replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DE. said:

Yeah Williams had a good run at the end of last season, but I still don't remember anyone saying they'd be happy with him as first choice this season. Most people from recollection were saying he'd make a good 3rd or 4th choice CB. Basically a Downing replacement. 

Ya, that's because if anyone said that they would have been rounded on by the mob! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that's because if anyone said that they would have been rounded on by the mob! 

Probably, but tbf I don't think that was the reason for 99% of people. We only really had evidence of Williams performing poorly as a full back, and it would have been foolish to take a handful of dead rubbers at the end of the season as evidence that Williams has what it takes to be a first team CB. The fact he's started off this season looking very good obviously bodes well, but nobody can claim they saw this kind of form in Del.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DE. said:

Probably, but tbf I don't think that was the reason for 99% of people. We only really had evidence of Williams performing poorly as a full back, and it would have been foolish to take a handful of dead rubbers at the end of the season as evidence that Williams has what it takes to be a first team CB. The fact he's started off this season looking very good obviously bodes well, but nobody can claim they saw this kind of form in Del.

No, certainly not. It's great to see. I still think we could do with another body for CB though, just in case... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.