New captain  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the new captain?

• Bennett
    • Lenihan
    • Johnson
    • Graham
    • Travis

So with a vacancy after arising who would you like to see given the armband?

I have only included realistic candidates (in my opinion...and Mowbrays) so apologies if I left someone out

My vote is for Lenihan. Loves the club, came through the academy, plays in a position I think works well for a captain. I think he would relish it. 

Ya, ya he's Irish too ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I don't really care who the captain is. I don't think they have any say in picking the team or making decisions on pre and in-game tactics etc.

Most captains these days don't even seem to gee up or inspire the team any more than the next player.

Hard to tell really without seeing their standing in the dressing room and how they carry themselves behind scenes around the club.

Personally I think travis ticks all the boxes and would be a bold dynamic choice, but without knowing him it may be to soon for him

Lenihan for me. Blood and thunder, only player i've seen bollock other players for mistakes recently, seems to have a voice. I think he's a leader in the making at 25, and I think the armband would bring out the best in him. Trav has a lot of similar qualities to Lenihan but he's younger with much less experience, only for that reason it's Darragh's.

DG isn't a bad shout, he's had a cracking influence on the side for a while. And despite being a newbie, Johnson seems to have the experience along with the ability to dictate the play and get stuck in so he'd fit the bill. The romantic in me would rather see Lenihan/Travis over them though, as they're players we've produced and both genuinely have some of the true qualities we love to see in a Rovers captain at present, hopefully with much more to offer and develop in the future.

If I turn up at Fulham tomorrow and Bennett is wearing the armband i'll vomit all over the poor sod on the row in front of me - apologies in advance.

Bloody hell, that’s slim pickings.

I'm not overly enamoured with Lenihan’s on field leadership and communication qualities. He is remembered for bollocking Raya once, where he was also culpable. Just shows how meek they all were last season.

Got to be Johnson for me. Looks the part early doors. Downing would probably be higher on my list than some of the others there too.

Fully expect Mowbray will give it to Bennett though.

• Like 3

Johnson for me.

Big imposing figure, knows the league, has the experience & should be a respected member of the dressing room.

I also like Centre mids as captains. When the chips are down, they can impose themselves on the game more, get crunching tackles in and lead by example. 

Doesn't matter to me if he's a new signing.

• Like 6

With no announcement I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mowbray pass the armband around for a few games before making his mind up.

Who has been here longest?

Transfermarkt has it as Corry Evans who has been here since Summer 2013 - a year longer than the next longest, Lenihan. However, Lenihan was actually signed two years prior to Evans in 2011 but didn’t make his debut for the first team until April 2015.

Then it’s Bennett (18 months later) and Graham (6 months later than him). Then Nyambe, Williams, Smallwood and Dack.

Lenihan might not be a bad shout.

Just now, Stuart said:

With no announcement I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mowbray pass the armband around for a few games before making his mind up.

Who has been here longest?

Transfermarkt has it as Corry Evans who has been here since Summer 2013 - a year longer than the next longest, Lenihan. However, Lenihan was actually signed two years prior to Evans in 2011 but didn’t make his debut for the first team until April 2015.

Then it’s Bennett (18 months later) and Graham (6 months later than him). Then Nyambe, Williams, Smallwood and Dack.

Lenihan might not be a bad shout.

wasn't Bennett and Graham both signed in the same month under Lambert 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

wasn't Bennett and Graham both signed in the same month under Lambert 

Not according to transfermarkt but it looks like they only use permanent signing dates. You are right though, Graham initially came on loan in January when Bennett joined.

• Like 1

A captain has to do some sabre rattling at times and I don't see Lenihan as that man. Bradley Johnson strikes me as more of a natural leader.

However if I was a betting man my money would be on Elliot Mowbray-Bennett.

• Like 2