New captain  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the new captain?

• Bennett
    • Lenihan
    • Johnson
    • Graham
    • Travis

Johnson is my pick but would also be happy for Lenihan or maybe even Downing having it. Graham would be ok but I genuinely don't think he's gonna be starting a lot of the time this season so kinda rules him out if so.

I do not

Under any circumstance 

Want it to be Bennett as that means he's starting.

Bennett it is then ?‍♂️?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Good point.

Anyone but Bennett, Mowbray-Bennett, Bennett-Mowbray, Bell or Williams.

I know I'll have missed loads.

I think it's really sad the way people are talking about Bennett.  He would probably make a very good captain.  He is passionate, he gives everything and would lead by example.  I think it's a real shame that being played all over the place has seen him put in some poor performances and now he's being talked about like he's Keith Andrews or someone.

I do understand that most don't want to see him start, especially at right-back, and I would agree but he does deserve a little more appreciation of his effort and energy.

Without knowing all the lads I'd go for Lenihan if he's got TM's confidence and is gonna be first choice CB but I can see the arguments for an older head like Johnson and would be happy with him too.

• Like 9

Lenihan has enough to do trying to sort out our defence let alone trying to captain the whole team. Id let him do that first.

Johnson in the middle of the park is better placed to bark orders/give bollockings. We need someone that is gonna put our defence on toast each time they fuck up. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I think it's really sad the way people are talking about Bennett.  He would probably make a very good captain.  He is passionate, he gives everything and would lead by example.  I think it's a real shame that being played all over the place has seen him put in some poor performances and now he's being talked about like he's Keith Andrews or someone.

I do understand that most don't want to see him start, especially at right-back, and I would agree but he does deserve a little more appreciation of his effort and energy.

Without knowing all the lads I'd go for Lenihan if he's got TM's confidence and is gonna be first choice CB but I can see the arguments for an older head like Johnson and would be happy with him too.

Yeah tbf Bennett's good captain material, I just don't think theres a place for him in our strongest team, pretty sure Tony will persist in thinking otherwise though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Keith Andrews was a far, far superior player to Bennett!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I think it's really sad the way people talk talking about Keith Andrews.  He would probably have made a very good captain. etc etc etc. Silly Yes?

You cant have a non-footballer as Captain no matter how much he runs around, does top draw fist pumps or has high ratings on social media. The real footballers, those who can actually play a bit will ignore him at best.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I don't think Keith was as bad as some make out but I strongly disagree that he was FAR FAR superior.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I think it's really sad the way people talk talking about Keith Andrews.  He would probably have made a very good captain. etc etc etc. Silly Yes?

You cant have a non-footballer as Captain no matter how much he runs around, does top draw fist pumps or has high ratings on social media. The real footballers, those who can actually play a bit will ignore him at best.

Bennett isn't the most skillful player but he's not a non-footballer.  At right mid he has been decent, perhaps not always the most creative but he has set the tempo of the side and pushed everyone else on to more.  I always believed if he'd played more in the first half of the relegation season we wouldn't have gone down.  I know that he's not brilliant but played in midfield he is not that bad either.

The captain of one of my old sides wasn't anywhere near the most talented in the side but he was all energy and bite and inspired those around him to play much better and we were poorer without him.

That said I wouldn't have Bennett in my current 11 I just don't think he's shit and could be cut a little slack.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I disagree with that completely.

Keith Andrews was a league 1 Evans, gifted a premier league career by Ince.

Bennett isn’t top league quality but in my humble opinion, the effort he puts in trumps Keith Andrews without needing to go into anything else. Keith ran around an pointed at stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I disagree with that completely.

Keith Andrews was a league 1 Evans, gifted a premier league career by Ince.

Bennett isn’t top league quality but in my humble opinion, the effort he puts in trumps Keith Andrews without needing to go into anything else. Keith ran around an pointed at stuff.

Done well to con Sam Allardyce and Giovanni Trapattoni into being a regular fixture in their premier league and international sides then... not to mention winning Irish player of the year while doing so. Better goals to games ratio than Tugay, and of course Brereton.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

In League One he was absolutely someone that had to be found a place in the team. His energy and passion was massive for us.

At this level and in this squad, there are just better players in his position: centre midfield. Who could we drop? Travis? Johnson?

He can be used on the right of midfield - although not his position - but that means Rothwell or Gallagher or Armstrong making way.

Nyambe seems to have been scapegoated so as to put Bennett there. Would it have been better to have displaced Bell (at the time) and play Bennett there? Maybe.

It’s hard to make a case for Bennett starting which means his influence as captain would be limited. Maybe he could be made club captain and Lenihan have the armband for match days.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2019 at 22:03, AllRoverAsia said:

Good point.

Anyone but Bennett, Mowbray-Bennett, Bennett-Mowbray, Bell or Williams.

I know I'll have missed loads.

The problem is that would mean playing the best players in their best positions, which TM doesn’t seem to want to do 

• Like 1

Bennett  being captain his two fingers up by Tony too the Rovers fans. Give it Travis this lads a leader  Bennetts not   . And why did Tony take him  off and leave Dack on  who's done nowt in the frist two games of the season