164 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the new captain?

• Bennett
    • Lenihan
    • Johnson
    • Graham
    • Travis

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So has it being confirmed that Bennett will be captain going forward and not just because Lenihan was injured? 

Mowbray confirmed it at his press conference today.  Seems a very sensible decision as Bennett is respected by players and manager.  Always gives 100 per cent every game and, unlike some players, never hides on the pitch when having a poor game.

• Like 3

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Mowbray confirmed it at his press conference today.  Seems a very sensible decision as Bennett is respected by players and manager.  Always gives 100 per cent every game and, unlike some players, never hides on the pitch when having a poor game.

I don't have a problem with Bennett being captain material. 

My issue is that he's given it to a player who a lot of people on here don't think should be in our best 11. Would have preferred it to go to someone who you'd class as part of our best team.

• Like 3

It basically confirms that Nyambe won't play RB this season Parson. Terrible news.

• Like 5

in my opinion the words in bold should read.       when having yet another poor game.

• Like 4

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It basically confirms that Nyambe won't play RB this season Parson. Terrible news.

If this is proved so, Mowbray needs to be asked at his next meeting to explain his reasoning to the fans. If he respects the people that show up to pay their money he at least owes us that much.  

Just another bad decision by mowbray in a long line of them.   Whatever people think of mulgrew,  at least he contributed to the goal tally (arguably the goals against tally too but we can't properly measure that),  but Bennet contributes hardly anything positive to the play, just the odd fist pump and diving in tub-thumping challenge......I just can't fathom this manager anymore 

42 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Nyambe and his Agent must know this and be sorry the Window is closed. Still Ryan, not long to January.

I suspect losing the Captaincy was told to Mulgrew on Thursday last and perhaps provoked a response similar to what I would have given.

Strange how the cards fell so fortuitously to get Bennett in the team as Captain v Fulham. Naturally, I do not suspect anything but fate at play.

If Bennett has a bad game as Captain he is going to be mullered on social media, I wonder if he will maintain a presence.

This is just another nail in Mowbray's coffin. Bring it on.

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

On the contrary Rovers need every fan that they can get. This includes ones that think for themselves

If you think booing one of our own because he has been handed the captain’s armband is okay then you crack on mate.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

It's piss poor in my opinion. He shouldn't even be starting right back as Nyambe is the better full-back. Lenihan was undoubtedly the stand out candidate. Awful decision by Mowbray,not surprising though.

Up there with Coyle making Lowe captain for me. 

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

If you think booing one of our own because he has been handed the captain’s armband is okay then you crack on mate.

No, I would be booing the decision to pick him to play over Nyambe. If you think that is the right decision, then you sit there in silence 

Just now, rigger said:

No, I would be booing the decision to pick him to play over Nyambe. If you think that is the right decision, then you sit there in silence 

Anyone who has ever watched a Rovers match with me will know that I never sit in silence. But then I would not boo a Rovers name read out over the tannoy. Save that for the opposition.

As I posted earlier, Bennett wouldn’t have been my choice as captain but I can understand why he got the nod.

Incidentally, the ‘club captain’ doesn’t necessarily start every game. Exhibit A being Charlie Mulgrew earlier this year.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

I don't think Bennett deserves any stick at all. He always tries his best which can't be said for all players.

The fact that he isn't the best player in the team and certainly not a full back of any description doesn't take away his endeavour.

He will take any booing personally so any show of disapproval should be reserved for Mowbray - however that may manifest itself.

• Like 3

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Anyone who has ever watched a Rovers match with me will know that I never sit in silence. But then I would not boo a Rovers name read out over the tannoy. Save that for the opposition.

As I posted earlier, Bennett wouldn’t have been my choice as captain but I can understand why he got the nod.

Incidentally, the ‘club captain’ doesn’t necessarily start every game. Exhibit A being Charlie Mulgrew earlier this year.

Again I have no problem with any appointment of captain. My problem is the fact that Bennett should not be in the starting 11, going off performances. Not some ill conceived loyalty.