164 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the new captain?

• Bennett
    • Lenihan
    • Johnson
    • Graham
    • Travis

• Moderation Lead

Not bothered if he’s captain so much, but if it means he plays every week at a position that isn’t his own, I won’t be happy. 

Anyone with two working eyes can see that our best XI doesn’t feature Bennett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

How else do you suggest that it is shown to Mowbray that his decision on this matter is not liked by the majority. My dislike is of Mowbrays decision, not of Bennett.  

He reads this message board - I'm convinced of it.

Some of his interviews address issues on here directly as soon as they are raised and without him being asked.

• Like 1

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

He reads this message board - I'm convinced of it.

Some of his interviews address issues on here directly as soon as they are raised and without him being asked.

I hope so. Come on Mr Mowbray, would you mind explaining your thought process for picking Bennett over Nyambe.

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

We are leaderless and rudderless so we will have to hope we drift to safety and Venkys keep footing the bill.

I'd prefer it if they abandon ship and we end up on a desert island. ( probably followed by a few years in the wilderness but then a triumphant return )

Well, despite anyone's desire to the contrary, and regardless of whether Elliot Bennett, Tony Mowbray, Mahatma Ghandi or Gawd himself reads this forum, the decision has been (publicly) made. So, I for one wish him the best of Blue & White luck, and hope that this proves to be a watershed moment all round (in a positive way).

COYB

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Well, despite anyone's desire to the contrary, and regardless of whether Elliot Bennett, Tony Mowbray, Mahatma Ghandi or Gawd himself reads this forum, the decision has been (publicly) made. So, I for one wish him the best of Blue & White luck, and hope that this proves to be a watershed moment all round (in a positive way).

COYB

I wonder what Nyambes thoughts about that are 

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If you think booing one of our own because he has been handed the captain’s armband is okay then you crack on mate.

I personally wouldn't have picked Bennett as captain Andy but you are absolutely right. The problem is with the manager who promoted him to captain when, in my opinion there are better candidates. I don't know of any professional footballer who would turn the role of captain down.

• Like 1

• Backroom

There's no point in booing Bennett at all, let alone because he's captain. It all rests on the manager's doorstep. Bennett has a fair point when he says he doesn't demand to be picked at RB, but if he is put there he can only do his best. I'm sure he knows just as well as the rest of us that RB isn't his best position and he doesn't perform particularly well there, but if he's selected he can't do much else other than try his best. You can make a lot of criticisms when it comes to Bennett, but his commitment has always been second to none. It's not usually enough but there isn't anything else he can do. He doesn't deserve to be booed for that, regardless of how poorly he performs. It's up to the manager to replace Bennett if his performances aren't up to scratch, and any ire should be pointed in that direction. 

• Like 5

Unhappy to see Bennett given the armband. Largely because it means one of our weakest areas will remain weak.

When he was playing CM in our league one campaign, I'd have been happy with him being skipper, as he ended being an important part of the team but now he shouldn't really be starting at all.

Like when C**le made Lowe captain. A huge mistake.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I’m with the majority here, no issue with Bennett as a man, he seems like he’d be a great choice as a players representative or similar 

However on a football level there’s not a chance in hell he should be starting ahead of Nyambe

If I was nyambe I’d be looking to move on I think his progress is being hampered here 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Tom said:

I’m with the majority here, no issue with Bennett as a man, he seems like he’d be a great choice as a players representative or similar 

However on a football level there’s not a chance in hell he should be starting ahead of Nyambe

If I was nyambe I’d be looking to move on I think his progress is being hampered here 

I feel like if he's club captain but NOT team captain (essentially a vice captain, I guess) it'd suit him great.

But team captain needs to have a nasty streak imo.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Yes, I thought 18 months ago he looked like our best attacking right sided player. I thought a bit of end product/composure and he's a right threat with his power and recovery...much better than Bennett 

12 hours ago, DE. said:

There's no point in booing Bennett at all, let alone because he's captain. It all rests on the manager's doorstep. Bennett has a fair point when he says he doesn't demand to be picked at RB, but if he is put there he can only do his best. I'm sure he knows just as well as the rest of us that RB isn't his best position and he doesn't perform particularly well there, but if he's selected he can't do much else other than try his best. You can make a lot of criticisms when it comes to Bennett, but his commitment has always been second to none. It's not usually enough but there isn't anything else he can do. He doesn't deserve to be booed for that, regardless of how poorly he performs. It's up to the manager to replace Bennett if his performances aren't up to scratch, and any ire should be pointed in that direction. 

Spot on. Was just going to post similar. 

I would never boo or expect any player who puts 100 pcent effort and commitment in to be booed. We all know he isn’t the best rb but that’s up to Tony to sort out. Once he’s on the pitch he gives his all. I wish more players were like Bennett attitude wise. 

The captain should of been lenihan or Johnson but I do think if he insists on playing Bennett then he is as good as anyone for the captains armband. That’s the one role he is fit to do. He just shouldn’t be on the pitch in the first place .

• Like 1

I will just add though, it was the most underwhelming reveal by Mowbray. Not a mention of Bennetts strengths, just basically it's because he is a senior player. That's it. Even the first sentence alone is ridiculous, "I think" , "while charlie is away",. What do you mean you think?? Where is Charlie, away on his holidays for the weekend? Man is losing it,. 

“I think at the moment Elliott Bennett will be club captain while Charlie is away,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.

“I think he slips in to that role very comfortably, very easily.

“As I’ve said before I like to have a leadership team with the senior players when there are issues that we need to deal with, football issues or club issues or player issues.

“I generally talk to a few of them rather than just one.

“Elliott has been part of that group and I have no problem with him leading the team on the pitch and he’s someone that I can talk to as part of a group of senior players.”  

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I will just add though, it was the most underwhelming reveal by Mowbray. Not a mention of Bennetts strengths, just basically it's because he is a senior player. That's it. Even the first sentence alone is ridiculous, "I think" , "while charlie is away",. What do you mean you think?? Where is Charlie, away on his holidays for the weekend? Man is losing it,. 

“I think at the moment Elliott Bennett will be club captain while Charlie is away,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.

“I think he slips in to that role very comfortably, very easily.

“As I’ve said before I like to have a leadership team with the senior players when there are issues that we need to deal with, football issues or club issues or player issues.

“I generally talk to a few of them rather than just one.

“Elliott has been part of that group and I have no problem with him leading the team on the pitch and he’s someone that I can talk to as part of a group of senior players.”  

After Charlie left, the club needed to do an announcement on the website with 'Bennett named club captain' so everyone knows where we stand, then some quotes from Mowbray about Benno's qualities. It makes me think he's not given it a lot of thought and the while Charlie is away makes it seem like Mulgrew is still club captian and Bennett is simply acting club captain.

Its just a bit odd.

Hopefully they'll do this in the next few days but when Mowbray is under pressure it isn't giving off the right sort of vibes.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

After Charlie left, the club needed to do an announcement on the website with 'Bennett named club captain' so everyone knows where we stand, then some quotes from Mowbray about Benno's qualities. It makes me think he's not given it a lot of thought and the while Charlie is away makes it seem like Mulgrew is still club captian and Bennett is simply acting club captain.

Its just a bit odd.

Hopefully they'll do this in the next few days but when Mowbray is under pressure it isn't giving off the right sort of vibes.

Maybe it’s still up the air?

Carrot and stick for the senior players who want it. Graham/Bennett/Mulgrew/Evans phase coming to an end, time for someone else to stand up and take the arm band?

It’s one way to inspire a bit more leadership from the Dacks and Williams in our first team. 

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Maybe it’s still up the air?

Carrot and stick for the senior players who want it. Graham/Bennett/Mulgrew/Evans phase coming to an end, time for someone else to stand up and take the arm band?

It’s one way to inspire a bit more leadership from the Dacks and Williams in our first team. 

Doesn't sound like its up in the air going off Mowbrays quotes. Seems like Bennett grabbed the arm band and mowbary was like "ya sure, why not" 

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Doesn't sound like its up in the air going off Mowbrays quotes. Seems like Bennett grabbed the arm band and mowbary was like "ya sure, why not" 

Bennett is Team and Club Captain for the foreseeable. Charlie M. will never wear our colours again. We will never know what happened on that Thursday morning but I know what I think. All IMO and I think I am right.

Some posters are so desperate to protect the Mowbray/Waggott grip on the Club that they constantly deny reality and what is staring them in the face.

I hope being Captain helps raise Bennett's game because at present and for some time he has been a liability, especially at RB.

Why Mowbray appears hell-bent on destroying Nyambes career is something only Mowbray can answer. As things stand Ryan needs to get himself far away from Rovers.

Just so there's no doubt as to my opinion and based solely on his football form I would have Bennet nowhere near a matchday squad unless we are decimated by injuries. 

• Like 3