New captain  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the new captain?

• Bennett
    • Lenihan
    • Johnson
    • Graham
    • Travis

Giving EB the armband is short sighted, but for me I see it as, get through this season, another year of mid-table, and next season we can transition. Get Mulgrew, Evans, Bennett, Smallwood and Graham out, and give Lenihan the captaincy for next season. All those players wages cut next summer would allow some massive business in terms of bringing new people in.

20 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Giving EB the armband is short sighted, but for me I see it as, get through this season, another year of mid-table, and next season we can transition. Get Mulgrew, Evans, Bennett, Smallwood and Graham out, and give Lenihan the captaincy for next season. All those players wages cut next summer would allow some massive business in terms of bringing new people in.

That is simply no good though.

Tony gave these players extended contracts whilst knowing full well that this season the target is top 6. Not mid table at all. TOP 6.

So obviously he expected those players capable of getting there and him being capable of setting them up to get there.

Next season we will need to prepare for life in the Prem whether we have already got there via the play offs (unlikely) or we lost in the play offs but are planning a promotion season (expected).

This isn't a 20 year plan Joe.... there are a good number on here who don't have that long.

3 Year plan. This is year 2.

35 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Next season, next season. Always jam tomorrow.....which never arrives. 

31 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

This isn't a 20 year plan Joe.... there are a good number on here who don't have that long.

3 Year plan. This is year 2.

It's not my plan... don't attack me, this is clearly the clubs plan and the clubs view.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

It's not my plan... don't attack me, this is clearly the clubs plan and the clubs view.

Is it though? Mowbray was talking about promotion after what was it, 4 windows? Are we any closer to that now? I think we had a better chance last year with the momentum from winning regularly in League 1. 

When you look at next summer, we have 4-5 out of contract and 3 loans who will probably be starters to replace. Add Graham, Johnson and Downing to that all a year older and we have a huge building job to be done. This summer made the job even bigger.

All smacks of the lack of any plan , or naivety in the workings of the transfer market on Mowbrays behalf. 

So between the out of contract players, the loans and older players deteriorating, I don't know how we will go about sorting this

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If one part of Mowbarys legacy is overseeing both Raya and Nyambe leave, it won't reflect well on him. Particularly if Brereton and Gallagher never get going and he continues to hamper Rothwells progress. 

I think he has spectacularly messed things up over the last few months. I had high hopes for this season. 

This is what I don't get. We have investment projects and pay big bucks for it, yet the investment projects we have at the club we don't actually invest in. Seems very contradictory imo and suspicious. 

Incidentally you could add Rothwell to the list of muck ups too. 

• Like 1

Really really weird that Mowbray and Bennett are saying Mulgrew is "just away" as if he's had some small hiatus before his career continues with Rovers. In actuality he's been forced out of the club because he's a big reason we have such a poor defence and is surely likely to never play for us again.

Super odd. Somethings going on. If Mowbray had decided Mulgrew needed replacing (as surely he must have over the summer) the arm band should have moved then. Rankbad management.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

"while big skip is away" 

What is actually going on like ?

Makes it sound like Mulgrew's gone on a two week holiday to Menorca ffs, rather than been unceremoniously packed off to Wigan on the final day of the transfer window. 

• Like 7

Just now, DE. said:

Makes it sound like Mulgrew's gone on a two week holiday to Menorca ffs, rather than been unceremoniously packed off to Wigan on the final day of the transfer window. 

I really don't understand. Why is everyone at the club going out of their way to make out everything was rosey with the move? Like why did Bennett need to add that line about Mulgrew. It's extremely unlikely he will play for the club again. Why not just put a line under it and move on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really don't understand. Why is everyone at the club going out of their way to make out everything was rosey with the move? Like why did Bennett need to add that line about Mulgrew. It's extremely unlikely he will play for the club again. Why not just put a line under it and move on. 

Because he is on loan this season and has a contract with us till the end of next season. While none of us think he will be back, technically he has no more left the club than has Magloire, and it’s not up to Bennett or even Mowbray to say that he has.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Still strange wording to use though. If Mulgrew is on loan elsewhere then he's not "big skip", he's just an opposition player until he returns next season. The way Bennett worded it is like Mulgrew is out with an injury, not literally playing for a rival club. It's obviously a sign of respect from Bennett to Mulgrew which is fine in private, but not sure it's the right thing to say in public as it suggests we've let our main leader and captain leave and be replaced by a lesser person.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My theory is Bennett reads Twitter and perhaps these boards, knows becoming captain is not the fans choice because he shouldnt be playing (at least not at RB) and so is just putting across that its just temporary. Some kind of "dont worry, its just for the season". 

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

My theory is Bennett reads Twitter and perhaps these boards, knows becoming captain is not the fans choice because he shouldnt be playing (at least not at RB) and so is just putting across that its just temporary. Some kind of "dont worry, its just for the season". 

And just so Bennett knows I finally cast my vote - for Lenihan.

Edited by AllRoverAsia